Photos at signings.

It's all about judgement.

A mega busy guest with a sign, then no.

A guest with no queue who you have been chatting to for 5-10 minutes and seems to be enjoying themselves, then why not ask them, in fact some volunteer and ask you despite the signs.

If the guest were to ask me if I want a photo I'd say yes, it's happened a couple of times but if there's a sign up I don't even think about asking.

Maybe you think I'm being short-sighted or silly for not being 'cheeky' enough to take the chance but the signs are there for a reason, not necessarily just thrown up by showmasters, possibly it's at the request of the guest, and it really annoys me that some people feel they can ignore the rules.

Respect the guest and respect the request that's being made of you. Keep it fair for everyone and don't put the guest in the difficult position of having to either say no or agreeing to something they may not actually want to do.

^^ Again, THIS.

If there was ever a rule book of etiquette for LFCC, this should be number 1.

I am very respectful of guests, even when there is no signs about photos whatsoever, when i reach their table and they sign, if i want to take a picture of them (without me in it) while they sign I always ask.

so dont start preaching, go to church if you want to do that.

Can we please not get personal in here? So far it is a discussion about different views and that is totally fine. But posts like

so dont start preaching, go to church if you want to do that.

are really not necessary.

Thank-you.

By the way, I wasn't preaching. I was merely supporting members who agree that it is disrespectful to ask (despite the signs) and trying to help put members in the position of the guests who feel too embarassed to say no.

I had quoted your responses, but please don't take this to mean that I have anything against you :YAHOO:

Respect the guest and respect the request that's being made of you. Keep it fair for everyone and don't put the guest in the difficult position of having to either say no or agreeing to something they may not actually want to do.

^^ Again, THIS.

If there was ever a rule book of etiquette for LFCC, this should be number 1.

I am very respectful of guests, even when there is no signs about photos whatsoever, when i reach their table and they sign, if i want to take a picture of them (without me in it) while they sign I always ask.

Which is absolutely fine and what I myself do. As a photographer, unless you're shooting a general crowd scene is very rude to take a photo of an individual without their permission.

However you have also stated that you see nothing wrong with people asking for a photo when there are signs up but there's no-one else queuing. I understand your point but I don't see that really makes any difference if the signs are there. If you've been chatting and the guest suggests it then fine, otherwise respect the signs.

At the end of the day, whether you like it or not and whatever you think the reasons are behind it, you can get a professional photo with many of the guests yet many guests will still allow photos at the desks. I seem to recall there not being photos at the desk even before the photoshoots started, so at least you now have the option if you can't get one at the desk.

A balance needs to be reached regarding getting numbers of people to see that person and the experience people have with that person but I've said it before and say it again, we are paying to get an autograph and meet the guest, not to get a photo. That's just an extra bonus if the opportunity is there.

Oh and I'm not preaching, that's just offensive and I'm not directing this at any one person, I'm advocating following the rules for all attendees. Something more and more people seem to think they have a right to bypass these days to get what they want.

Edited by Rockstar6662

I went to my first SM event last year, the EMS. I never really noticed any signs besides guests about not being allowed to take photos. The only exception was Ahmed Best. Someone who was with me however was taking photos as I met him, and it seemed ok. I think as long as you're not shoving the flash in their faces and just take maybe one or two of the signing...

• Moderators

It's definitely a case of "no photos" or "no posed photos" rather than "no photos unless there's no queue and then we'll do them" so I'm never quite sure why people do occasionally blatantly ignore them and ask anyway.

It's even more annoying when so many people are respectful of the rules, only to get home and see others have got photos because they didn't care and asked anyway. I've never felt that it's right that those who play by the rules are almost punished for doing so.

It's definitely a case of "no photos" or "no posed photos" rather than "no photos unless there's no queue and then we'll do them" so I'm never quite sure why people do occasionally blatantly ignore them and ask anyway.

It's even more annoying when so many people are respectful of the rules, only to get home and see others have got photos because they didn't care and asked anyway. I've never felt that it's right that those who play by the rules are almost punished for doing so.

Ahmed was No Posed, so I assumed it would be OK to take normal photos at the desk. Had there been a general sign 'No Photos' I don't think i would have, would have felt like a fool getting told off in front of him lol

I have a question about this as well.

I'm going to be getting a couple of autographs for a friend of mine who can't attend LFCC and thought it would be a nice little touch if I was able to give her a photograph of the guest as they are signing her items.

Is this ok for me to do as long as there is not a 'No Photos'/'No Posed Photos' sign behind them?

• Moderators

However, of the guests I haven't got photoshoot tickets for, Shawnee is arguably going to be the busiest of that portion of my list, so I'm wondering what are the chances of me getting a pic over the table?

Oh and additionally, I noticed Michael Bailey Smith was listed as having a photoshoot, but on the store, his shoot is inaccessible, and just says that the one he was due to do at the Entertainment Show was cancelled and will be rescheduled for the event he goes to next (which is obviously LFACC)

Is he or isn't he having a photoshoot is my question :dance:

Sometimes even busy guests are happy to do photos, so I'd certainly not say it's impossible. Just have a look and see how she's doing, and if there are any signs up. I'd definitely wait until the day to see! :D

Some photo shoots may be added closer to the event as they work on schedules and how many they need to fit in etc, so just keep an eye on here.

I have a question about this as well.

I'm going to be getting a couple of autographs for a friend of mine who can't attend LFCC and thought it would be a nice little touch if I was able to give her a photograph of the guest as they are signing her items.

Is this ok for me to do as long as there is not a 'No Photos'/'No Posed Photos' sign behind them?

As you said, this should be fine as long as there's no signs :YAHOO:

I totally agree with you on this, it winds me up beyond measure when people blatantly ask for photos when they can clearly see the signs, I would never dream of doing such a thing as I always assume there must be a reason!!!

It's the old "don't ask, don't get" routine I suppose. But why ask when there's clear signs up saying no?

But is there anyone there to enforce it? I appreciate it's probably not in the remit of the crew member sitting with the guest but maybe when you hand over the money if it's clear you've got a camera the crew member could give a gentle reminder that there's no photos? Just a thought although I can see that when it's quiet it could lead to arguments or someone just saying "well I'll ask anyway" which wouldn't be good for anyone.

It's like people who still insist on smoking in clear no-smoking areas. For some reason the rules don't apply to them.

Sorry but I get a bit annoyed at the arrogance and lack of respect some people have regarding this issue.

Edited by Rockstar6662

• Moderators

There is always a crew member there.

Obviously IF a guest is put in that awkward position and someone asks them despite the signs, and a crew member tries to step in and say no, SOMETIMES the guest will say yes anyway. They certainly don't want to come across as the 'bad guy' so to speak, hence why we have the signs up AND the crew members. But yes, occasionally the guest will just go along with it anyway.

I've worked with a fair few guests myself and they really don't like being put in that position, and I always try my best to stop it. It's really not nice for anyone involved.

• Moderators

I have seen photos from US cons of people with her at signing desks, so she doesn't seem to be entirely against them. Not wanting to get your hopes up obviously, but it's normally a fairly good sign that a guest will do them if possible :D

There is always a crew member there.

Obviously IF a guest is put in that awkward position and someone asks them despite the signs, and a crew member tries to step in and say no, SOMETIMES the guest will say yes anyway. They certainly don't want to come across as the 'bad guy' so to speak, hence why we have the signs up AND the crew members. But yes, occasionally the guest will just go along with it anyway.

It's not fair to put the guest in that position as you say, if they say no someone will come away thinking the guest is rude or something when the rest of the encounter was actually very good.

I've worked with a fair few guests myself and they really don't like being put in that position, and I always try my best to stop it. It's really not nice for anyone involved.

Excactly. Not sure what you can do about it though as I suppose you'll always get some people who think the rules don't apply to them and that they deserve a photo as well as an autograph or because they've met the guest so many times before it's like they're best mates so won't mind. And if the crew member gets involved it could all get a bit nasty which isn't what anyone wants.

I'm not entirely sure when a photo became an expected part of what you're paying for. To me it's always been a bonus when the option is there and many guests are still very happy to oblige.

Maybe the signs need to be a bit bigger or in a different colour or something so they're more obvious. Maybe add a "Please do not ask" to it too even though that shouldn't be necessary.

I was gonna say with me going on the Sunday, I can research peoples experiences from the Saturday in order to gauge my chances, but she probably won't do them on Saturday due to the fact that she has a photoshoot that day.

Despite what some people think, just because there's a formal shoot it doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to get a photo at the desk too. It's more down to the preference of the guest and how busy they are etc.

It sounds like you're realistic in your expectations but take your camera and see how things go on the day. Enjoy the experience and if you're able to get a photo then great.

On that note, I just really hope, that if a guest doesn't allow posed photos, that there actually will be a sign up. I know that it is also down to having time to put up the sign and having enough signs to put up, but I have tried asking a guest with no signs and being told no on account of a photoshoot that the guest had done 3 hours earlyer. In that case it would have been really nice with a sign to save both of us that awkward moment.