HORROR con

Matt2006

• Showmasters Admin

Sorry but Jason has said before that he doesn't believe a Horror only event in the UK will work and so isn't willing to risk his money on one.

You and others may believe it can work and if you're that sure, he's also said he's happy to run a Horror event if someone wants the front up the cash!

So risk YOUR £10k to £50k and you've got yourself a show :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Would he not consider doing something similar to "Roadhouse" and have a selection of shows put together as one Con?

e.g.

A combination of: The Walking Dead, Being Human, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries etc...

(I would include True Blood but that has its own event -Despite being Horror related?)

Sorry but Jason has said before that he doesn't believe a Horror only event in the UK will work and so isn't willing to risk his money on one.

You and others may believe it can work and if you're that sure, he's also said he's happy to run a Horror event if someone wants the front up the cash!

So risk YOUR £10k to £50k and you've got yourself a show :thumbup:

10-50 - I thought these events could be run for under £100 and SM / actors make massive profits just to rip off fans etc etc........

I'm joking of course - so if we put up the cash, Jason would do the rest? Well if there are as many fans as are claimed then surely it's a couple of quid each?? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested in starting a horror convention, is there anyone from Showmasters that would be willing to get in contact with me to discuss the process of starting one, the costs involved and contacting guests etc?
Showmasters can be contacted via e-mail at info@showmastersonline.com if you wish to discuss it.

I for one, and there are many others I talk to on facebook would dearly love to see a horror con here in the UK. Its long overdue. The popularity of folks such as Robert Englund, Doug Bradley, Kane Hodder and the like has been massive over the years at the Showmasters events that I have seen them at. Its a shame there is a lack of confidence in this issue because I believe if it were done with thye passion that goes into these events, it could be a success.

Edited by DavidB

• Moderators

Sorry but we're not allowed to discuss other events on here, so I had to edit your post. Feel free to support this idea, but try not to refer to other cons. Thank you :cylon:

I for one, and there are many others I talk to on facebook would dearly love to see a horror con here in the UK. Its long overdue. The popularity of folks such as Robert Englund, Doug Bradley, Kane Hodder and the like has been massive over the years at the Showmasters events that I have seen them at. Its a shame there is a lack of confidence in this issue because I believe if it were done with thye passion that goes into these events, it could be a success.

I agree entirely, I have only been to three conventions, but from what I've seen it is usually the more horror based guests getting a large section of the visitors attention. Horror is probably the most popular alternative genre of film there is from teenagers right through to people in their early-mid 30's. With the right guests, the right amount of passion behind it and the right organisation and advertisement I think you'd struggle to fail with a Horror convention. As I said, I have contacted Showmasters through email to try and discuss such a project so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

I agree entirely, I have only been to three conventions, but from what I've seen it is usually the more horror based guests getting a large section of the visitors attention. Horror is probably the most popular alternative genre of film there is from teenagers right through to people in their early-mid 30's. With the right guests, the right amount of passion behind it and the right organisation and advertisement I think you'd struggle to fail with a Horror convention. As I said, I have contacted Showmasters through email to try and discuss such a project so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Hi there, I am a massive horror fan and have 8 years convention experience and am willing to help anyone who wants to do a horror convention, whether it be with guest suggestion, theme and content suggestions or advertisemet or general planning and organizing. I too believe a horror con would do really well in the UK. I'll be watching this space!

The issue is ensuring that not only are you appealing to wide enough market but that those people will actually turn up on the day/buy tickets. The hotels where these size of events are run normally require contracts to be signed in excess of a year in advance to secure good dates and its very risky to run a new concept since regardless of turnout you're still contracted for the full amount for Hotel Rental. The same is the case for booking guests. That's not to say it wouldn't work, but there isn't the same track record here for Horror Events.

You've only e-mailed on Monday and it was the week after a very busy event. I'd recommend to wait a little longer, you'll just add another e-mail to an already large pile otherwise. :D

If that's an option maybe you could try and call the office?

What an idea like this needs more than anything is support and experience. Without either of those there is no guests or visitors.

Given the requirements to front up for a venue, and guest accommodation and travel, (and probably for a new organiser with no established reputation, for at least some of the guest fee), what this idea needs more than anything is cash.

I suspect that unless you have a five figure sum to start with, you're going to struggle to get anywhere.

And whoever puts up the cash should be completely prepared to lose the lot, in a worse case scenario.

Hello im Adam A. Park a UK horror filmmaker and writer.

I also work for Scream horror magazine covering everything Uk horror (im currently backing the bring horror back to the bbc)

I would be very happy and im sure so would our magazine to help and back this covention only if your serious about it though . if you are feel free to add me and get in touch on my facebook acount just search Adam park (you will know its me from the picture :WAVE: