I am now in mourning

dragonsanddaffodils

Thirteen years on SciFi / Syfy? I thought that SG1 was on Showtime for the first 5/6 seasons?

Personally, I think a break will do the franchise good. It's much easier for a franchise to adjust to change after a break - look at Star Trek.

Look at Doctor Who.

Thirteen years on SciFi / Syfy? I thought that SG1 was on Showtime for the first 5/6 seasons?

Personally, I think a break will do the franchise good. It's much easier for a franchise to adjust to change after a break - look at Star Trek.

Look at Doctor Who.

yer but those breaks were either long periods as in many years or big budget update.and they are both essentially the same show after the change, just with more gloss and speed, i cant see stargate getting either of those tbh, either they get there dvd movies that we all want or another studio picks up SGU, i cant see another new spin off series being green lit unfortunately :-(

Edited by timelord81r

I hope another studio picks up SGU, it has a great cast, great storylines and it's going to end of a cliffhanger. Do we want it to be left there?

No.

I definitely second this.

This cancellation is such BxxxSxxx. Or as we say in German "I can't eat that much i want to puke"

I spoke with some friends about the behaviour of U.S. TV-Networks as i read about the cancellation. Additionaly about "The Viewer" as decision maker for the networks.

I came to the conclusion that the networks these days don't have the balls to stand ground a series when the ratings are going to descent for whatever reason. It's all about the ratings and the benjamins which are connected with that. Good example for a tv series aired in germany as it also could be elsewhere which airing slot is moved to another day and time due to slowly descending ratings. 4 weeks later the series is cancelled cause the ratings were going down the drain. The fact not mentioned... Airing slot prior changing 08:15 PM (German Prime Time) and after the change 01:00 AM

Sadly i've to say that additionaly the behaviour of "some" viewers (as a group) has changed. This means that these "group" wants 43 minutes of pure action without time for a rest. For all episodes of a season.

No more building of storyarchs, no more building up excitement from episode to episode. No explanations and getting to know the characters.

Bottom-Line "Why the heck do i have to watch interpersonal relationship building / love / romance when they stranded on an acient starship million light years away with no hope of getting back home." "All i need is action, action, action. Some aliens + space dogfights and before i forgett action".

This lack of interest is bringing down such good series.

But to strike a blow for MGM...

I think in this very particular case it comes down to the financial troubles MGM is in. So they had to pull the plug. Cause after cancelling Caprica rumors came up which stated that SGU will be the next in line no doubt about it.

So everybody let's keep our fingers crossed that MGM can / will sell SGU to another network which can keep up the good story and cast.

Damn...

I really did forget to mention that i'll appreciate some castmembers of SGU on 7.6 or 7.7 or LFCC

Edited by Lord Schweizer

Sadly i've to say that additionaly the behaviour of "some" viewers (as a group) has changed. This means that these "group" wants 43 minutes of pure action without time for a rest. For all episodes of a season.

No more building of storyarchs, no more building up excitement from episode to episode. No explanations and getting to know the characters.

This makes me sad, I love it when we get to explore the characters and episode arcs. Character developed lacked, I'm sorry but it LACKED during SG1 and Atlantis, SGU was a fresh, welcomed face for me, I love character development.

Shame on you SyFy, let's hope it gets picked up.

Unfortunately, the quality of a show has absolutely no impact on it's prospect of renewal/cancellation. That is judged solely on Nielsen ratings. The concept of Nielsen is a whole other discussion, but the ratings for SGU have been consistently poor.

To say that US networks cancel shows for any reason other than that is wrong, and the reason that they're stocking up on reality TV is the same - people watch it! Look at the ratings for the X factor and the Dancing show here in the UK - they eclipse pretty much everything except soaps!

reality crap makes me sad. yer the women on them are stunning, but god they are crap shows, even xfactor took the fun of the auditions and stuck it in front of a silly audience, not the same. to much dancing on singing with in the jungle crap on tv, xfactor winner was xmas no one days after winning, theres a surprise, what a load of crap, xmas no one means nothing any more and it was crap. sad times and u cant escape it, I dont watch any of the reality shows anymore, yet i know whats going on thanks to all the women on my facebook putting status updates every 3 secconds when there on tv which is basically every fri/sat/sun all the god damn year round lol

• Moderators

I don't think reality TV is to blame in the slightest. In fact, I watch a lot of it AND a lot of dramas etc too. It's not an either/or situation really.

And there are plenty of high quality TV shows that aren't reality TV that are succeeding with huge ratings in the US, and are doing well all over the world.

Sadly SGU never caught on with a mass audience, and that was the downfall. "Quality" is always going to be perceived differently by different people, and if there isn't a wide enough audience for a "quality" product then it will fail. SGU isn't the first and it certainly won't be the last.

I didn't really like this show as much as SGA and SG1 but am pissed that they anounced it the way they did. Typical SyFy gits, don't give a crap about the fans just the money in there pockets.

RIP the Stargate franchise it was one hell of a ride and I loved it! Hugs to all the gaters out there and here's to a movie or two (will only happen if someone else does it now me thinks.) Thank god for DVD's or I think I'd go crazy, insane. nuts, two fries short of a happy meal.................................WACKO!

God Speed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, even though it's still a slim chance of SGU coming back at least there's a little hope.

As for the SGA film, well even the actors have said they didn't think it would go ahead anyway, long before SGU was cancelled.

Hopefully SGU will come back and we'll get our SG-1 and SGA movies too *crosses fingers*