Some problems with the weekend.

AnnaSun

I definitely DON'T agree that it was too hot inside. It was fine for me. Yeah it was a contrast to outside, but it was around 0 degrees outside. Inside was fine. Comparing it to the stadium especially is insane. I come close to pneumonia whenever theres an event at the stadium, even in the height of summer. The Olympia is an absolutely fine venue, one of my favourites actually.

To be perfectly honest I had one of the best Collectormanias i've been to in a while. I've had some run ins with crew in the past who have been less than helpful, but everyone I dealt with this weekend were very nice and helpful. I met everyone I wanted to in good time and all were good experiences.

My only criticism, was the talk area. It was clear that SM have learned how to do most things from experiences in the past, however the talks still leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

First off, the lighting was terrible, only took a few photos but they mostly turned out not so great. I went to attend Ahmed Best's talk on Saturday, but as it was at the end of the show, there was only about 5 people in it, so I didn't go in, just because I would have felt really awkward. I know he didn't arrive until later, so I don't know what else could have been done, but still was unfortunate. Carl Weathers' talk I would have missed on Sunday as well as I was had to travel home early, as i'm sure a lot of people would have had to, and would have missed it as well had it went ahead.

I didn't even attend the SW talk as I knew it would be a bunch of people who played bit parts that I wasn't interested in meeting, and Michael Biehns and Cary Elwes' was the only other talks that I attended, both were enjoyable, but as has been said, sometimes, there were crew members around with mics, sometimes there weren't.

And i've never felt comfortable at the auctions, so glad I didn't attend them after what I've read!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Just wanted to add that i had a great time both days (apart from forgetting my tickets on saturday and having to pay again!!! What a dumbass!!!).

As a regular visitor to these events i thought that the vast majority of the crew were EXTREMELY polite,helpful,friendly and most of all were happy and smiling (which bearing in mind how hard they work i think is amazing!!!) as at most Showmaster's events that i manage to make!!! I think they need a HUGE thank you from me and all of the attendees.Full credit to Jason for his choice of crew!! There is always however going to be a VERY small number of individuals that unfortunately don't make the grade!! I myself am disabled and like most people in my situation unfortunately do sometimes need this to be taken into account and not treated like someone trying to pull a fast one while queing (something i was more than happy to do,and just wanted a polite reply to a polite question)!!! However i did cheer up when the guy behind me said "don't worry about him mate,he's probably got a real nothing job and finally feels important this weekend". He's back to work now:):).

That aside great weekend.Thanks to everyone especially Jason and the crew and i hope to make (health permitting!!) the next show.

Oh yeh,if you're hot use the bloody cloakroom facilities,even at £1!!!!!!!

I didn't think the heating was such an issue, as Thunderstruck pointed out, there was a cloak room even if it was not free.

However, I'd like to point out a few problems that I encountered during the event: as raised before, the lightning was awful during the talks, and almost all the pictures came out really dull.

Again, as during all SM events, I really think that there should be signs indicating the Gold Pass seating area during talks: why not stick a piece of paper on the seats from the first row for instance? Usually the first 3 rows were allocated to Gold Passes, so I sat in the 4th row, whereas I was in the first few attendees in the waiting queue... Just to see that you could sit in the second row! Could something be done about it?

Also, I thought there were not as many signs within the venue as usual: we didn't get the usual maps on the walls, did we? I admit I got a bit lost at first, and I was very fortunate I found very helpful crew and pitbosses to help me find my way!

The conventions are different from the signing events with regards to seats held for Gold Pass holders are they not? There's about 100 gold passes for conventions, but I didnt think any more than about 10 people bought Gold Passes for signing events(i've never even seen the advantage of having one to be honest, never bought one myself and i've always met everyone i wanted to)

With that thinking I sat in the second row when i could, even then the first row was hardly ever full when I was in

Also, I thought there were not as many signs within the venue as usual: we didn't get the usual maps on the walls, did we? I admit I got a bit lost at first, and I was very fortunate I found very helpful crew and pitbosses to help me find my way!

I saw a couple of maps.

Oh, ok, my bad then. But I really thought it was less clear than at previous events (LFCC or even CM:L last year).

As for the seating during the talks, what I meant is Yes, usually there's a crew member there telling you you can't sit in the first row, but when I arrived for my first talk of the weekend, the crew were busy talking to someone in particular so they could not inform the attendees of the system, and I thought signs could help for that matter...

Maybe I'm wrong here, but anyway I thought I'd drop a line :P

I'll say in Showmasters' defence, there were a lot of things that were out of their control at the event.

I was witness to several examples of Olympia events staff undermining the work that Showmasters staff had set out. There was one particular Italian sounding gentleman who loved to throw his weight around in a Jobsworthy way.

Oh, ok, my bad then. But I really thought it was less clear than at previous events (LFCC or even CM:L last year).

Maybe I was just paying more attention to the walls because I had to move to the side on my crutches to let people through so often. :rolleyes:

Ahah, that might explain everything! I saw you from a distance, I hope you didn't have any difficulties during the weekend with your crutches?

I was beat in the evening - I happened to be in the part of the venue that was told to evacuate and getting down and up the stairs on crutches really wasn't fun. :WINCE: All I remember from that night is thinking "oh shiny, Merlin is on TV". Next thing I know is I wake up at 5 AM. :lol:

But besides that no difficulties, thanks for asking.

The only thing that I thought could have been planned better was the two lines of guests opposite each other. It was a bit difficult trying not to get in the way of people who just wanted to pass through, when the queue was a little big for one of the guests.

The only other suggestion that I have, if the event is to be held next year, is maybe not to have it on the weekend just after the American Thanksgiving celebrations, as I expect a lot of potential guests want to stay at home with their families for the weekend.

There were A4 sized wall signs put up on Friday night. Perhaps they were moved?

I know the Olympia Italian Jobsworth guy had a go at me for putting a sign up on a wall and told me to take them down.

I have no doubt he was on a mission and a potential cause of missing informational posters.

There were A4 sized wall signs put up on Friday night. Perhaps they were moved?

I know the Olympia Italian Jobsworth guy had a go at me for putting a sign up on a wall and told me to take them down.

I have no doubt he was on a mission and a potential cause of missing informational posters.

I hope this can be clarified for next year!

This wouldn't have been such a problem if we've had the map online beforehand, but as we didn't, I expected much more directions within the venue :S

regarding the lighting, yep there were lights not on in the talk areas, were they broken? did SM not know where they were turned on from? or did they choose to try and make it more theatre like? who knows,

the heating, well it was on full blast all weekend, this with the amount of ppl I thought made it far to warm, yes im a big guy but I was rosy cheeked all weekend and although I was feeling iffy before, I now have a cold, full blast heating can have the same effect as constant freezing weather in some respects, it is a venue issue but SM would need to direct them to alter it unless SM had direct control?

was far to warm, and I wore a long sleeved tshirt sat and a short sleeved t shirt sunday, my layers were in my bag.

was far to warm in most of the hall, and a bit chilly in the sports bit entrance which didnt help having such a contrast we had to move between all weekend. I think have the heating on in the morning but by lunch time the heating should of been turned off or down, it was to warm. you can see this contrast in my 66 boys pics.

so yer heating and lighting attention for next year would be nice or im coming in a muscle top ;-)

It's all personal preference though, I personally thought the temperature was fine, and I was wearing a t-shirt and a shirt both days, and i'm not the kind of person who feels cold, I tend to feel hot more than cold.

I'm sure they were in control of the heating, at no time did i think 'wow the heating in here is out of control'. Having been in a venue where the temperature really is out of their control(the stadium) and loathing it, I much prefer being in the heat to being freezing

• Moderators

Definitely a personal preference. Turn it down and you'll get people complaining it's too cold, so what do you do?

I think the sensible thing to do when it's that cold outside etc is to have the venue warm rather than cold. It did actually get fairly chilly once it was a little emptier.

Heat wasn't really a hassle in costume, yes it was hot, but it's always hot when you wear one.

We were stationed right by the restaurant which was pumping out heat like no one's business, so we just took regular breaks outside in the cold to drum up business and to appreciate the warmth a bit more :)

I now have a cold, full blast heating can have the same effect as constant freezing weather in some respects, it is a venue issue but SM would need to direct them to alter it unless SM had direct control?

I also picked up a cold it seems but I think that was queuing outside at 8am that did that. I wouldn't have had I known it was an outdoor queue. Also don't forget there was the other event downstairs - and heat rises, could hardly tell them to turn it down.