Anyone from Twilight?

sazanne

Don't read the ET5 part of the forum if you don't like it then. :P

I don't, but up until Hallowhedon 2 when you clicked "View New Posts" the results were all ET4, ET5 and (for some mad reason) ET6 related.

Why not just click on the forums ur actually interested in then if it really does bother you so much? It says new next to any topics you haven't read. I also don't see how it's mad ppl talking about ET6, it was announced at ET4 that it's going to take place and going by previous events tickets will probably go on sale within the next couple months so that's why it would be being discussed.

And greedy? I see greedy as people who have guests attending this event that they want to meet, yet shoot down the people who ask for guests they would like to meet just because they want more guests for themselves. :D

As i mentioned above, personally I believe at a signing event the guests that attend should cover as broad a range of franchises/genres etc so that as many people as possible are kepy happy. I feel that someone like this is better than a guest who has had mere minutes of screentime in the current popular movie/tv franchise and especially if the guests from said franchise have a multitude of conventions entirely devoted to them already.

There are various ppl that have been in twilight and a number of different films/tv roles. Just because ppl fit into a convention dedicated weekend doesn't mean everyone wants to see them for just Twilight related reasons. See Leah Gibson mentioned above for a start.

To be honest I'm not even going to continue trying to get my point across, at the end of the day it is up to SM who they choose to get. After all, they try to please everyone. And a Twilight guest would please many, many people. As a guest from star wars etc would. I'm sick of people trying to shoot down our fanbase, I wouldn't even dream about posting in a "star wars" thread on here asking for them to not to get guests from that franchise, why? Because I have respect for all. Be it fans of Star wars/ Harry Potter/ Dr Who, I would be happy for them to recieve a guest from their shows, not try and stop it.

:WAVE:

Whether everyone likes it or not, they are the biggest selling SM con with over 1000 attendees to each event so clearly thats alot of people that would be interested, and let's face it brings alot more ppl into the conventions and shows world, and more popularity for the events! I also agree with well basically everything else you said!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

My own feeling on this is that it seems like the entire board for the last few weeks has been taken up with ET4 stuff and just when I was hoping that (once it was over) it might quieten down, already the forum is filling up with ET5 chatter......... so it looks like a bit of a dick move to be asking for more Twilight people .... just seems greedy.

The problem here is that there is a HUGE diversity in guests for this event and for other signing events.

Twilight guests haven't taken over whatsoever, nor have the fans. In fact, as stated above and elsewhere, a lot of 'Twilight fans' love other stuff too and so come to other events and meet other guests etc. Why is that such a problem?

I will be happy if I never have to sit through another Twilight movie again in my lifetime, but I sure don't feel the need to criticise anyone else for liking it, nor for requesting the guests. There are plenty of fans who haven't gone to the conventions etc.

I just don't get it, and I do genuinely think it's really rude of people to attack one particular fanbase. The Star Wars fans never got this crap when they've had 20+ guests at multiple signing events. It's simply because it's Twilight, some people think they can be overly harsh to the fans who actually are some of the nicest and most genuine ones we've had on here.

I'd rather have those than overly critical and selfish people to be honest. I don't think anyone should be annoyed at the Twilight fans for taking part in the forum discussions etc, and using it to make friends and whatever else.

• Moderators

The Star Wars fans never got this crap when they've had 20+ guests at multiple signing events.

Don't you remember that whole thread from earlier this year? I can't remember whether it was the CM16 or the LFCC board, but there was definitely a 'no more star wars guests' thread for a while...

(I'm not a fan of either franchise, but as long as it doesn't negatively impact the chances of a guest I DO want to see appearing, I don't care.)

The problem here is that there is a HUGE diversity in guests for this event and for other signing events.

Twilight guests haven't taken over whatsoever, nor have the fans. In fact, as stated above and elsewhere, a lot of 'Twilight fans' love other stuff too and so come to other events and meet other guests etc. Why is that such a problem?

Yep, at CM16 I ultimately booked hotel took time off work etc because of the 2 twi guests (CB which we know cancelled).. But between me and my friend we got about 15 autos in the end!

To be honest I'm not even going to continue trying to get my point across, at the end of the day it is up to SM who they choose to get. After all, they try to please everyone. And a Twilight guest would please many, many people. As a guest from star wars etc would. I'm sick of people trying to shoot down our fanbase, I wouldn't even dream about posting in a "star wars" thread on here asking for them to not to get guests from that franchise, why? Because I have respect for all. Be it fans of Star wars/ Harry Potter/ Dr Who, I would be happy for them to recieve a guest from their shows, not try and stop it.

:D

Agreed, it is up to SM who they choose but of course the more vocal the fanbase of a particular movie/show is the more likely it is they will get a guest to please the masses (it makes good business sense).

You have to concede that the Twilight fanbase posts a whole lot more on the forums than any other (be it Star Wars/Dr. Who/LOTR/HP etc).

I would never try to prevent or object to anyone getting a guest from their favourite franchise but there is such a thing as overkill (ie looking for guests for a single movie franchise for an event so soon after a dedicated con).

Honestly I see no point attacking the Twilight movies because people will have moved onto something else in 2 years time anyway and I don't believe respect comes into it one way or the other I just take issue with one particular franchise dominating a forum/ thread designed for all.

:P

Agreed, it is up to SM who they choose but of course the more vocal the fanbase of a particular movie/show is the more likely it is they will get a guest to please the masses (it makes good business sense).

You have to concede that the Twilight fanbase posts a whole lot more on the forums than any other (be it Star Wars/Dr. Who/LOTR/HP etc).

I would never try to prevent or object to anyone getting a guest from their favourite franchise but there is such a thing as overkill (ie looking for guests for a single movie franchise for an event so soon after a dedicated con).

Honestly I see no point attacking the Twilight movies because people will have moved onto something else in 2 years time anyway and I don't believe respect comes into it one way or the other I just take issue with one particular franchise dominating a forum/ thread designed for all.

Yes we probably do post a whole lot more on the forums then any other fanbase, but how many star wars/doctor who/ harry potter guests are attending this event? :D

Overkill? I'm sure if you were in our position, be it that you attended a con dedicated to a franchise of your taste, a month prior to an event that another guest of that franchise could possibly attend, you wouldn't object/moan about it. :WAVE:

And as for the "2 years time" comment, I've been a fan of Twilight for over 2 years so far and haven't in the slightest got "bored" of it. ;)

"One particular franchise dominating a forum" - Oh, I am sorry, we're being blasted for talking to one another on the twilight topic of the forum now?

People scrape together any excuse don't they... :P

Edited by leannezoeii

Not all Twilight fans can afford to go to the ET cons though, so having some of the guests at these shows make it far more affordable for these people.

It shouldn't really matter how near to ET4 it is, it just means that for some people it's easier to meet who they want to meet.

Same for any fan base really, not everyone can afford a full convention.

What about the fans of Twilight that were unable to attend the convention but are able to attend this event?

And greedy?

If a Twilight fan isnt able to attend a con then that's no one's fault but their own, surly? Why should there be repeated guests just cos they missed out previously?

I've missed guests before that I wanted to meet but I wouldnt dream of starting a thread like, "Can you get xxx back cos I missed them". I knew where and when they were attending in advance so it was my responsibility to make sure I got there and if I couldn't it was my tough s***.

I'm not knocking Twilight and I do understand SM bring them in to please the masses.

Edited by nicky

What about the fans of Twilight that were unable to attend the convention but are able to attend this event?

And greedy?

If a Twilight fan isnt able to attend a con then that's no one's fault but their own, surly? Why should there be repeated guests just cos they missed out previously?

I've missed guests before that I wanted to meet but I wouldnt dream of starting a thread like, "Can you get xxx back cos I missed them". I knew where and when they were attending in advance so it was my responsibility to make sure I got there and if I couldn't it was my tough s***.

I'm not knocking Twilight and I do understand SM bring them in to please the masses.

I believe this thread is titled "Anyone from Twilight?" ANYONE. Not "Can you get xxxx cos I missed them."

Like Purple Vamp said, a lot of people cannot afford full cons. And I'd appriciate it if you didn't use language such as "s***". We're all mature people no need for that sort of language.

I believe this thread is titled "Anyone from Twilight?" ANYONE. Not "Can you get xxxx cos I missed them."

Like Purple Vamp said, a lot of people cannot afford full cons. And I'd appriciate it if you didn't use language such as "s***". We're all mature people no need for that sort of language.

Huh? I believe I was speaking as an eaxmple in refernce to your quote "What about the fans of Twilight that were unable to attend the convention but are able to attend this event?"

Not all Twilight fans can afford to go to the ET cons though, so having some of the guests at these shows make it far more affordable for these people. Same for any fan base really, not everyone can afford a full convention.

Like I said in reference to those that may have missed the guests at previous cons; If they can't afford it then who's fault is that? Save up! The cons are announced months in advance. Like David said, 'if you dont want to meet them, then dont'...similarly, if you cant afford it then dont. :D

Edited by nicky

Huh? I believe I was speaking as an eaxmple in refernce to your quote "What about the fans of Twilight that were unable to attend the convention but are able to attend this event?"

Not all Twilight fans can afford to go to the ET cons though, so having some of the guests at these shows make it far more affordable for these people. Same for any fan base really, not everyone can afford a full convention.

See my above reply. If they can't afford it then who's fault is that? Save up! The cons are announced months in advance. Like David said, 'if you dont want to meet them, then dont'...similarly, if you cant afford it then dont. :D

Oh there really is no point in trying to get our points across anymore. Like I said before, people will scrape together any old excuse :D .

Least i'll leave this with my dignity still intact. :D

Have a fun life. :WAVE:

And I'd appriciate it if you didn't use language such as "s***". We're all mature people no need for that sort of language.

Is that word not used in Twilight then? :WAVE:

Oh there really is no point in trying to get our points across anymore. Like I said before, people will scrape together any old excuse :D .

Hey relax! Like I said, I'm not knocking Twilight and I do understand SM bring them in to please the masses.

Edited by nicky

And I'd appriciate it if you didn't use language such as "s***". We're all mature people no need for that sort of language.

Is that word not used in Twilight then? :D

Oh, that was mature. :D

I'm not going to respond from now on, carry on making yourself look silly... :WAVE:

• Moderators

The point, of course, is being missed.

This only pops up when it's Twilight. Why?

I've yet to find a viable justification for people jumping on Twilight fans specifically over any other fanbase that DOES get repeat guests even though they DO have their own conventions. No one does it to anyone else, nor do they give such negative feedback about the amount of guests.

People seem to be capable of keeping their "opinions" respectfully to themselves when it involves anyone else, but apparently when it's Twilight it's open season.

I wouldn't say that. I know I've said the same previously about Lost guests when someone staretd a similar thread. Probably Touchwood too. Anyway if there was no conflict this place would be boring. :WAVE: How about guets from Vampires Suck?

carry on making yourself look silly... :D

It's all for you, baby. :D

Edited by nicky

I wouldn't say that. I know I've said the same previously about Lost guests when someone staretd a similar thread. Probably Touchwood too. Anyway if there was no conflict this place would be boring. :D How about guets from Vampires Suck?

Oh yes, Matt Lanter.

But I'm sure your comment was not for that intention.

:D

The sad thing is, you're probably a lot older then me and yet I seem to be the one holding onto my dignity throughout this whole 'discussion'. :WAVE:

Edited by leannezoeii

Why not just click on the forums ur actually interested in then if it really does bother you so much? It says new next to any topics you haven't read. I also don't see how it's mad ppl talking about ET6, it was announced at ET4 that it's going to take place and going by previous events tickets will probably go on sale within the next couple months so that's why it would be being discussed.

Erm... because clicking on "View New Posts" ss the quickest way to see any new guest announcements but it's also an indicator of what area/con SM are focusing on.

I think its a little mad to be talking about ET6 when ET5 has not even happened yet, no?

There are various ppl that have been in twilight and a number of different films/tv roles. Just because ppl fit into a convention dedicated weekend doesn't mean everyone wants to see them for just Twilight related reasons. See Leah Gibson mentioned above for a start.

Not to be overally argumentative (and no disrespect meant to the guests)but I doubt anyone goesto Eternal Twilight to see the guests based on their other work.

Apologies David but I have to disagree with you on this one, based on what I have seen (and admittedly I'm not on the forum as often as some) twilight fans seem to taking up more and more of the forum than ever before. It's not a problem per se, the observation I made initially was that, in a forum already dominated by Twilight, there is now a topic in the CML sub-forum as well.

I don't think anyone should be annoyed at the Twilight fans for taking part in the forum discussions etc, and using it to make friends and whatever else.

Not annoyed at Twilight fans taking part in the forum, just a little annoyed at the fans taking over every event.

Yes we probably do post a whole lot more on the forums then any other fanbase, but how many star wars/doctor who/ harry potter guests are attending this event? :D

Too many. :D

Overkill? I'm sure if you were in our position, be it that you attended a con dedicated to a franchise of your taste, a month prior to an event that another guest of that franchise could possibly attend, you wouldn't object/moan about it. :WAVE:

I would probably moan about why that guest could not have attended the dedicated con instead to be honest. Personally after attending a dedicated con I probably would not be able to afford another event so soon (but thats my issue not everyone elses) but even so I don't think I would be looking for a guest again so soon.

And as for the "2 years time" comment, I've been a fan of Twilight for over 2 years so far and haven't in the slightest got "bored" of it. ;)

Thats only because the movies are still going on, as soon as they are over people will move onto sometime new or at the very least the interest will die down, thats just the way these things go.

"One particular franchise dominating a forum" - Oh, I am sorry, we're being blasted for talking to one another on the twilight topic of the forum now?

Nope, never said that you shouldn't talk in twilight topic (or any other topic) for that matter (not my place to do that or my right to object if you did) but posts and topics related to the Twilight franchise seem to "appear" more often than any other on the forum.

People scrape together any excuse don't they... :D

Don't get this part, I'm not making excuses for anything I've said as everything I've said is based on my perception of things which may not be the same as others......confused.

The point, of course, is being missed.

I've yet to find a viable justification for people jumping on Twilight fans specifically over any other fanbase that DOES get repeat guests even though they DO have their own conventions. No one does it to anyone else, nor do they give such negative feedback about the amount of guests.

People seem to be capable of keeping their "opinions" respectfully to themselves when it involves anyone else, but apparently when it's Twilight it's open season.

Maybe it's because they react so strongly to anyone being critical of their franchise.

Maybe if they feel they are being persecuted for something they love they will be more able to identify with the characters from the movie who themselves are criticized and persecuted for wanting to love someone(thing) everyone objects to.

I could be wrong though :)

• Moderators

Erm... because clicking on "View New Posts" ss the quickest way to see any new guest announcements but it's also an indicator of what area/con SM are focusing on.

I think its a little mad to be talking about ET6 when ET5 has not even happened yet, no?

Jason specifically mentioned that ET6 was happening at the last convention, so of course it was going to be mentioned.

Apologies David but I have to disagree with you on this one, based on what I have seen (and admittedly I'm not on the forum as often as some) twilight fans seem to taking up more and more of the forum than ever before. It's not a problem per se, the observation I made initially was that, in a forum already dominated by Twilight, there is now a topic in the CML sub-forum as well.

It's not dominated by Twilight. They have active sections based on their specific conventions. I don't see how that is 'dominating' exactly? Plus they are as entitled as anyone else to request their wants for a signing event. Torchwood fans do it. Whedon fans do it. Stargate fans do it. Supernatural fans do it. You get my point. I don't think being active on the forum suddenly means they shouldn't be allowed to want guests, surely?

I find it completely bizarre that anyone would criticise a fanbase for being active, getting involved in the events, and using this forum to its full potential. It's what the organisers want after all, and this forum is a far better place when everyone is talking etc. I certainly don't see it as a negative in the slightest.

Maybe it's because they react so strongly to anyone being critical of their franchise.

Maybe if they feel they are being persecuted for something they love they will be more able to identify with the characters from the movie who themselves are criticized and persecuted for wanting to love someone(thing) everyone objects to.

I could be wrong though :)

It's not that though is it? People CHOOSE to talk negatively about the fanbase. It's irrelevant whether anyone actually likes Twilight or whatever else it may be. No fanbase should be jumped on, nor made to feel like they can't request things.

It'd be just as bad if it happened to anyone else, but it doesn't because people seem far more respectful about those. It's like it's unacceptable for Twilight fans to get what they want.

Edited by DavidB

The only thing I can say to this I guess, is that maybe some of us do get a little overexcited and like to plan in advance :WAVE:

Not to be overally argumentative (and no disrespect meant to the guests)but I doubt anyone goesto Eternal Twilight to see the guests based on their other work.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant :D Alot of people would prefer some of the "twi" guests at a signing event rather than a weekend con because of the other stuff they've been in, and not because of twilight. timelord81r had said that he'd of loved to of met Leah Gibson (who was at ET4) for her other work, and in a moment of insanity ( :D ) almost came to ET4 just for her.. So I think some "twi" guests could keep quite a few people happy.

Oh and David.. You just reminded me by mentioning It... More Supernatural guests pleeaassee!! Only joking (tho I wouldn't complain!)

• Moderators

Plus, to add, it's not always about "I can't afford a convention" but rather there's always a limited amount of tickets, and the Twilight conventions are mainly the ones that sell out so not everyone can go to them anyway.

That's not really their fault.

Jason specifically mentioned that ET6 was happening at the last convention, so of course it was going to be mentioned.

Was really just using it as an example.

It's not dominated by Twilight. They have active sections based on their specific conventions. I don't see how that is 'dominating' exactly? Plus they are as entitled as anyone else to request their wants for a signing event. Torchwood fans do it. Whedon fans do it. Stargate fans do it. Supernatural fans do it. You get my point. I don't think being active on the forum suddenly means they shouldn't be allowed to want guests, surely?

Agree to disagree? :D

Of course they are entitled to request their wants and I would never suggest that they shouldn't be allowed to get guests....... my point all along is that it seems greedy to be looking for more Twilight guests after a Twilight convention. It would be like my setting up a thread asking for Firefly guests and not expecting people to make comment of the fact that Alan and Jewel were at hallowhedon, no?

I find it completely bizarre that anyone would criticise a fanbase for being active, getting involved in the events, and using this forum to its full potential. It's what the organisers want after all, and this forum is a far better place when everyone is talking etc. I certainly don't see it as a negative in the slightest.

I don't find it bizarre that people are critical of other fanbases it's geek nature ...... but I'm sure we can all agree that furries are strange :WAVE:

I'm with David here. Bashing Twilight has become a very common thing around here. All this bleating "Help, our events have been taken over by screaming girlies".

It's mean-spirited and inaccurate. Yes, Twilight has brought a lot of new faces to Showmasters events and a lot of new traffic to this board, but how can that be a bad thing? Surely the more people who attend SM and ME events, the more secure the future is for all their events?

People need to get past this idea that because Twilight is supposedly for teenage girls, the fanbase has to be made up of obsessive nutjobs who cry everytime someone mentions Rob Pattinson. Yes I've met some of those type in this fandom, but I've also met some in the LOTR fandom, in the various Whedon fandoms, in the Supernatural fandom (actually, SPN has more than its fair share :D ) Did nobody else hear screaming or see fangirls when the hobbits came to events a few years back? And yet Twilight is always the target, because it's the big new thing.

It's also rather patronising to suggest that every fan of Twilight will move onto something else in a couple of years. Yes, a lot will, just like a lot of kids grew out of wanting a Star Wars lampshade. But some will still be queueing for autographs when BooBoo has chest hair and Kristen Stewart is on the botox. That's the thing about fandoms - sometimes they stick. My favourite movie is almost thirty years old now, but I would still queue to meet the stars of it tomorrow

I personally love Twilight as a guilty pleasure, despite knowing that it's not a patch on most of the movies that started my obession with supernatural stuff as a kid. It's not my main fandom, but I have been to two of the cons, had a blast and met really nice people. I can't get to all the conventions because I don't have the budget, so I would be really happy to see a guest or two at an event like this. It saves me a lot of cash on a hotel and party outfits and stuff, plus I have the flexibility of only meeting the guests I've not met before, which I might not get at an ET convention.