Totally Disheartened

brokendreams

After our experiences at other showmaster events although we have had bad experiences we had hoped that ET4 would be different. However once again we have been disappointed :dance:. This year has been a tough year and we scrimped and saved to buy our tickets for the event only to be disappointed once again.

We believed in Showmasters when they said they had an amazing event in store for us and so blindly we booked our tickets without knowing ANY of the guests. Though I cant deny that Peter, Alex and Cameron are great guests the other 4 leave something to be desired. Don't get us wrong, I am sure the guests are great people, however having paid more for this event than the last ones filling in the 'extra' guests with 2 nobodies who only have 1 line each in the saga wasnt what we expected when we were told we would be getting more guests.

We put our trust into Showmasters to organise an amazing Twilight event, however we are now only 3 months away from the event and only 1 party theme has been announced, we are NOT made of money although it seems that our money is all Showmasters care about. Needless to say we will NOT be booking to go to ET5, however next year we will be booking to go elsewhere instead. Its sad that Showmasters have really made us loyal Twilight Fans feel so uncared about.

I suspect there will be a lot of replies saying Showmasters are doing their best and that we are complaining for no reason. We are not writing this as a Showmasters bashing thread, but as a thread to let Showmasters know how upset we feel over how we have been treated in regards to the ET4 event. Most of us have really had to scrimp to get to ET4 and we now feel our money would have been better spent else where.

Edited by DavidB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Sorry, but you are not allowed to discuss other events on here, so I had to remove a complete paragraph from your post and edit a couple of other things.

This does come up again and again. I do often feel like a broken record, but the fact remains that any organiser can only work within the confines of the industry. No organiser can force availability or affordability. So just because Massive Events haven't got this guest or that guest, it doesn't mean they're not trying.

I don't think you've been 'treated badly' - yes, something like the party themes could be done a little earlier, but that's certainly not a reason for never going to another event. I think it's completely unreasonable to suggest they only care about your money.

No organiser can promise an event with 6 headliners or main cast etc, ESPECIALLY when it's a Twilight event. Massive Events have had so many different members of the cast that they have proven time and again that they can and will get the bigger guests where possible. But financials and schedules etc are things that will always hinder an organiser no matter what, and that doesn't come down to 'not caring' I'm afraid.

I wouldn't say the money I spent on my ticket would have been better spent elsewhere because aside from the guests theres the parties, the talks, the dealers room and the amazing people that attend the conventions.

Whilst I do enjoy meeting the guests, they aren't my be-all-and-end-all when it comes to conventions. No, I am not overly thrilled with 2 certain guests we have had announced but you know what? It's more Twilight autos to add to the collection isn't it.

I am glad I didn't spend the money on a Gold ticket but for me, £88 is justifiable for what I want. And it's also justifiable for a few days banter with friends I don't/won't get to see all that often because of where I live.

ET4 definately hasn't put me off buying a ticket to ET5.

Edited by touchthesky

The fact that this does come up time and time again should be a concern for Showmasters. We all put our money forward before we even knew anything about the event. We put a lot of trust into Showmasters to deliever us an event worth the money we paid for. The guests for past ET events have been great and it feels like we have majorly been let down for this event.

When I say we have been treated badly I'm not just refering to ET events but other showmaster as well. We can understand that the actors are getting busy due to te success of Twilight, however the promise of more guests was filled by booking 2 extras for better use of the word. I would have rather not had the promise and not had those guests since it feels like they were booked to fill in numbers.

I know I am not the only one out there who regrets buying a gold or silver ticket for this event. We all booked the tickets in advance without knowing any guests and we put our trust in an amazing event being organised. Needless to say if I am ever tempted by another showmasters event I will wait and see the guests and events first before buying a standard ticket.

I am still looking forward to seeing our friends at the event and no doubt will have a good time. However this could have been done with much less expense on our part. Travel, plus ticket, plus hotel was enough for a small holiday. We like to feel we are getting value for money and sadly a few of us feel we are not getting this.

As I have said I can understand things such as guests can sometimes not be helped, but ET4 was hyped to be the best event and we cant help but feel disheartened by it.

• Moderators

I can agree with people being disappointed with a guest list. It isn't going to please everyone - you get people who only want one or two specific guests, or main cast etc, and they'll often be let down. But people do often book with unrealistic expectations.

Nothing was ever said about the extra guests being big ones. In fact, I would always assume that extra guests would be lesser ones because the budget only stretches so far. Then, if they manage somehow to get someone bigger, then great.

But to suggest this somehow reflects the organiser 'not caring' is something I don't agree with, and I do think it belittles the effort they put into these things.

I completely respect anyone's decision to wait for guests before they book tickets. I understand that, and if you're going to do that from now on then that's your choice. I know a lot of people will still be happy to buy straight away though, and hopefully that will fund the guests.

Also, if you feel your money is better off elsewhere, I respect that too. It depends what you want really. Guests elsewhere have mostly been to these events already, and lots of the regulars have met them. Massive Events are great at getting first timers and helping people expand their collections.

I think 7 guests for a convention of one of the biggest current movie franchises, where they are all presumably coming from overseas, IS good value for money. Sure, you can get more elsewhere, but those events are a slightly different type than this.

I can't wait for ET4! I think the fact that we have 7 GUESTS is amazing, considering how much it costs to fly the guests over, get them a hotel room etc etc etc. Ok, some are not of the same calibre as others, however they are all Twilight guests and this is a Twilight con.

SM/ME do work incredibly hard to try and get the guests that we want - we had Taylor for ET1 but because he signed on for New Moon has schedule changed and he couldnt attend.

Personally, I think its great that we have some of the smaller Twi-guests as they will undoubtedly get more work after being in Twilight so now is the perfect chance to meet them.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally have the upmost confidence in SM/ME to deliver us fantastic events.

I wouldn't be too down on the "extras" - in the past I've been disappointed with announcements only to find that on stage and in person they're brilliant, perhaps because they don't do it as often so aren't disillusioned with the whole thing. So maybe go in with an open mind before deciding they're pointless additions to the events.

Also, quick note regarding party themes - the last weekend event I went to, we had six weeks notice of all three themes. That's not because SM don't love us, it's because they wanted to make sure they had everything ready for three fantastic parties - which they were. Us Twilight fans forget how lucky we are to be honest - we've been spoilt having one announced so early, that's not something that happens often.

Last thing - it's all relative! Personally I'd pay what we're paying just for Peter but that's just me, and my sister has freaked out over other guests I don't care for. Maybe next time your particular faves will turn up, y'never know. :dance:

We never expected the extra guests to be big guests, however when I meet a guest I like to have more to talk to them than 'I loved how you were in 2 films I've seen for a couple of seconds.' Perhaps saying that Showmasters dont care is a little harsh but unfortunatly this is the views of a lot of people I know who have booked this event. (please bare in mind I am also voicing opinions of others not on these boards)

In regards to them getting more work due to their part in Twilight I wouldnt always hope for such. I know an actor who has had important bit parts in some pretty big blockbuster films but has returned to Theatre work after not being able to break into the big leagues.

I cannot help but agree, the guest list for ET1 was amazing and I know a lot of people have booked time after time hoping one day they will get a guest list as good as that again. Please dont get me wrong, I think Boo Boo and Jodelle are going to be amazing guests even though they are not in the saga for long, they however are not the guests we are disappointed with.

We respect that people are excited for this event, I am excited because I get to meet loads of friends. However that excitement has nothing to do with the event, more the people there. Its a little hard to get excited for the things that havent even been announced yet. :(

Last thing - it's all relative! Personally I'd pay what we're paying just for Peter but that's just me, and my sister has freaked out over other guests I don't care for. Maybe next time your particular faves will turn up, y'never know. :lol:

You see last year I would have been more than happy to pay the world to see Peter again and Peter alone. However the last year has been financially hard on a lot of people and although I would love to say I would happily spend £500 alone Peter that really isnt viable.

• Moderators

The problem is that so many different people want different things.

OK, so I edited your original post but I saw what it was about, and I'll say that if those guests were announced for this event then you'd get 'but they've been before!' etc. So while they may be worth seeing for you, I can absolutely guarantee you'd have a negative reaction from a lot of others.

So how can ME win? It's so tricky to get a good balance between new guests and acceptable repeat ones. To cater for new attendees and regular ones. It's a very difficult job to do, and I for one think they're doing as good as they can do.

It doesn't translate to 'they don't care!' and if there are people out there that believe that then that's very unfortunate. But I for one completely understand getting a couple of extra new guests, albeit minor characters, compared to having someone like Charlie Bewley again or something.

If you compile a list of Twilight actors that Showmasters/Massive Events have already had, or have booked for future shows, then it is staggering!

Most Twilight fans that I speak to are pleased that they are getting to meet so many of the actors/actresses and therefore building up their collections.

Wouldnt be so much fun meeting the same actor over and over, but having Peter back after him being at ET1 is great because for a lot of people, they didnt even know about the shows then. Paul has only done LFCC rather that ET, so that is great too.

And Cameron Bright! That is an amazing guest!

I cant personally travel any further to cons, but having these only 2 hours away is great, the London shows are only 3 hours, so I can fit that in with work.

I am only buying a standard (have only been gold once) because for me personally, I go for the attendees and crew who really make the con! The guests are fantastic to meet, regardless of the number of lines they have in the film (indeed, didnt Charlie only have a couple in New Moon? but he is a very popular guest) and the talks are really entertaining, Chris Hayerdahl and Jamie Campbell Bower were fantastic. But then, Peter and Alex at LFCC had everybody roaring with laughter, so am really looking forward to that.

For a lot of people, Twilight was initially all about the books, so to be able to have the author signings is great too, I got into the books from the signings at ET3, and havent even got the books on offer this time, and since there are three authors, that means more books to read :lol:

At the end of the day, only you can decide if the con is the right one for you. Perhaps next time you should wait to see what guests are announced. Not trying to put you off showmasters, but you are obviously not happy, although, for me, I think the line up is great, and it promises to be a really good weekend :(

ps and this is not speaking as a mod, but as someone who has already attended a number of the Twilight cons from SM/ME :lol:

This will probably make me sound like a complete b**ch but I think you need to stop complaining and moaning.

You took a risk purchasing your ticket before the line up was announced and you may be dissapointed by the line up but others, like me, are over the moon with the line up! Yeah so 2 guests are, lets say 'small', but we have 7 guests! Surely that makes up for it. Other times there's only been about 5 guests. SM can't make everyone happy but they sure try their best and I think you have no right to say that they 'don't care' and all they want is our money! Of course they care, they take peoples views and opinions on board and try to improve each time making every event better.

I know ET4 will be my first event but I've been reading peoples comments and looking at past events on the boards so I know a little about other events.

I think SM have done brilliantly with extras aswell. 3 authors. That's amazing!! Only thing I'm a little annoyed about is the other 2 remaining party themes. I would like to know asap but SM have other cons too, they can't just drop everything for ET4. But please SM can we know the party themes soon :)

I would like to say a big thank you to SM for arranging ET4, I can't wait!!

We're not disheartened and having been to 2 other ET's and Brum Prom we're sooooo looking forward to another awesome weekend :P

7 is a large number of Twilight guests and personally I loved reading Hush Hush so Becca Fitzpatrick is a huge bonus :D

We go for the whole experience and have come away really, really happy and totally exhausted from the ET cons we've been to :P and can't wait for the next one.

Already booked ET5 :D

Edited by Juliette

This will probably make me sound like a complete b**ch but I think you need to stop complaining and moaning.

I think SM have done brilliantly with extras aswell. 3 authors. That's amazing!! Only thing I'm a little annoyed about is the other 2 remaining party themes. I would like to know asap but SM have other cons too, they can't just drop everything for ET4. But please SM can we know the party themes soon :)

I would like to say a big thank you to SM for arranging ET4, I can't wait!!

Agree!

I've only been to ET3, and I only had my mum to talk to coz I had never been on the forums to make friends, but I still had an amazing time. If you think about it, all the guests from ET3 didn't have the biggest part but I think that was one of the best guest lists they've had!!! (Though I would have LOVED to have met Ashley Greene at ET1)

They don't 'not care', they try their hardest to get who we want, and so they have created a poll on the ET5 forums for us to tell them what guests we wanted. How can they not care if they are asking us who we want?

Come on, there are 2 guests you are disappointed with, but there are 5 more guests as well, and you can't really judge the 2 'disappointments' until you have met them and see what they are like, from my experience at ET3, and meeting Chaske at CM16 and Edi and Tyson at LFCC this year, all the guests are nice and smiley and chat to you (Tyson said he liked my vampire sparkles :D )

After ET5, the only two I am desperate to meet are Ashley Greene and Jackson Rathbone, but I am patient because they are more popular and are getting loads of work commitments through Twilight. I'm still going to continue coming to the Twi Cons (if I can afford it xD ) and hopefully I will meet them.

Sorry to rant but I wanted to get my point across :D

Rachel you don't sound B**chy, I agree!!

Christ.

I completely disagree. I'm going gold for et4 and 5 and am in no way at ALL disappointed. I mean theyre all amazing guests even if they are small who cares?! They could have an amazing personality. I went gold for et3 aswell and that had amazing guests! You all moan moan moan but dont think to THANK showmasters for the amazing times they have given us and for the time they take to get awesome guests and think up good themes and then get props etc for the night parties.

Instead of moaning about guests you might not like thank them for thinking of us and trying! They think more about us than money. Why dont you consider how much money they spend! On the venue, photographer, the little things andd getting and flying the guests ocer here.

I personally want to thank showmasters for givinge the opportunity to meet these people andd all the fellow con-goers who i have made some amazing friends. Without SM i wouldnt of had any of these chances so thankyou :)

People will hate me for saying this, and so will Showmasters but hey, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, like David said. I think that, yes, we have to thank SM for a great number of guests that have been brought to the events, although i have been really let down by this.

I attended ET2 with my friends, and we had a great time, hence us coming to ET4, and back then we were not hyped up about the guests lined up, but the talks were really great.

However, I think that how you got ET4 hyped up was such a complete let down and failure for all us fans. You DID promise great guests, and yes Peter, Cameron, and Alex are. Although i'm not so please with to 2 minor guests who have like ONE line during the whole film.

Now i know i'm not the only one thinking, 'Whats the heck are they going to say in the talk?' because its true. What are they? they were on set for a day?

Kind of silly really. I know they've been in other things, but thats not the point. ITS A TWILIGHT CONVENTION!

I mean I am definitely made up you got all the extra, the authors, and how you have dealers rooms and that, but again, isn't that just you MAKING MONEY. Yes its GREAT FOR US, but truly it is just for you to make money. Nothing wrong with that, but i just feel that just because you have 7 guests lined up, doesn't mean it'll be the best.

I know i'll have a great time, I just feel disappointed like the rest of the people here.

Also instead of getting a LOT of minor characters could you not have spent the money on getting more involved characters? or maybe gibber authors?

I know you have to spread out the actors appearances, because of people getting chances to meet different people. but what about the people who missed out one year? Or the people who bought tickets for ET4 KNOWING and TRUSTING you to make it brilliant.

But hey, I can't complain you have done well, and yes i know you cannot please everyone, and all that. I'm just simply stating you have let down a lot of people.

It's not for making money!? They are getting so many things for us to do so we have a great time and look back on it happily. Think of all the hard work that they have done to make these events great, and all some people are doing is rejecting it. I am really grateful. I had always wanted to meet Jamie Campbell Bower, and ME/SM gave me that chance. They just want us to have fun, why can't people accept that?

It's not for making money!? They are getting so many things for us to do so we have a great time and look back on it happily. Think of all the hard work that they have done to make these events great, and all some people are doing is rejecting it. I am really grateful. I had always wanted to meet Jamie Campbell Bower, and ME/SM gave me that chance. They just want us to have fun, why can't people accept that?

I do accept that, but really they ARE making money, you can't deny it.

I am totally grateful. its the fact they hyped up ET4 to be amazing. and well I don't think it even compares to the other conventions up to now.

SHEESH

I am totally grateful. its the fact they hyped up ET4 to be amazing. and well I don't think it even compares to the other conventions up to now.

SHEESH

well yeh, of course they're making money. things like this can't be made for free. It will be amazing, it can''t be ruined by two guests your disappointed with!! There is pleanty more to do as well as them.

SHEESH

well yeh, of course they're making money. things like this can't be made for free. It will be amazing, it can''t be ruined by two guests your disappointed with!! There is pleanty more to do as well as them.

And have you considered how much they have to pay out for and most likely most the profit will add up for any losses and well duh they have to get paid. They arent gonna work their butts off day in day out for nothing.

SHEESH

It's not 2, its 4 but hey.

It's not just ME who's disappointed, i'm just too honest to not say anything.

I'm not going to say i'm ecstatic about this convention. I just think everything could be handled more professionally and NICER!

and NOT have everyone saying oh i think your wrong blah blah.

IT'S AN OPINION, EVERYONE HAS ONE, if you don't like it don't say anything.

high five Lily *high fives* :thumbup:

How can they NOT make money? Do you think they approached Peter Facinelli and said 'hey, wanna come to a Twi con in the UK?'

OHH sarcasm, so mature :D

And have you considered how much they have to pay out for and most likely most the profit will add up for any losses and well duh they have to get paid. They arent gonna work their butts off day in day out for nothing.

Well yes, that why i said,of course they're getting paid :S wtf

She was basically saying their not in it for the money, so i said of course they are, they're people. people like money.

Of course they put it on to make us happy and that, but truthfully they just chose minor characters to fill in those 2 places they promised us. so blah.