Pricing Policy

gazznewbie

Yeah but what about people who aren't avid autograph collectors for everyone one of you who's prepared to get a bunch of autos there's probably a lot more who are only ever going to want one.

For instance Rob Pattinson is announced at an event I love him he's like my fave actor, at a PUSH i will get him to sign my HP book and Twilight book, i'm not gonna get him to sign ALL my DVDs featuring him etc...because I just don't care THAT much and I'm willing to bet there's lots like that, I'm gonna pay whether it's a fiver or twenty cus i onyl want one or two.

So if there's ten people like me and only one like you it just wouldn't add up with the costs.

I think as a company who have been doing this for SO long they know what to do, you also have to bare in mind it's not just down to them, I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart's agents may have told SM to go eff themselves if they charged a tenner for his auto or summit....... it comes down to it if you don't want it enough you simply don't get it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this exact conversation with Jason at Time Quest and he told me my ideas were rubbish and that I'm the only person, or one of the few who would do this. I politely disagree.

The simple fact for me is that a lot depends on the guest. If SM were to get someone I need lots from, such as David Tennant, or Harrison Ford, Richard Dean Anderson, I could go on. Then they could charge high fees and I suspect the guest would sign all day. For example Mark Hamill at a non-SM event a few years ago in London charged £70 per auto. A huge fee and not one I personally was willing to pay but despite that they sold out. Mark signed all day and even at that fee they turned people away.

But that was Mark Hamill. At a recent Tenth Planet signing they had two of the Weeping Angels from the recent Doctor Who story. They were charging £10 per auto. I didn’t even bother to attend. I would like their auto, I’d even pay £5 for it. But at £10 I simply wasn’t interested. I don’t know how many autos they sold, but I do know they’d have sold at least two more at £5.

Another example I’ve quoted elsewhere was Ingrid Pitt who attended an event where she was charging £5 (as it happens she wasn’t well enough to sign but the point stands). I looked and found seven items I wanted signed, that’s £35. If she’d been charging £10 I would have only got two items signed.

In my Doctor Who collection I’ve got books, photos, DVDs and CDs all signed. To pick someone at random I’ve got at least a dozen autos from Elisabeth Sladen. If she turns up somewhere charging £10 then I’m going to only get a couple of items more. But at £5 I’d look at all the Sarah Jane DVDs, the Doctor Who DVDs, etc. I’d probably get about 12 autos. At £10 I’d spend £20, at £5 I’d spend £60.

Jason tells me I’m the only one with the money to do this and the only one who thinks this way. I don’t agree and to be honest I’m no more or less able to prove my point than Jason is.

So I’ve a serious suggestion. Jason runs several events a year and I’m sure making more money would be good for him and for us as we’d get more and better guests. So why not experiment? Invite, for example, six Doctor Who guests to one event, and then a month later invite another six similar guests to a similar event in a similar or the same location. At one event charge £10, at the other charge £5. Then tot up the takings. I’d do this at different events because it would be difficult to explain to, for example, Colin Baker why he was worth £5, while Sylvester McCoy was worth £10. But at different events that’s less of an issue.

There’s no reason to keep the experiment a secret. The actors will be every bit as interested in making more money and would, I assume, therefore be just as happy to find out the result.

However much money any of us have we all live to a budget. When I personally look at an event I’m mostly interested in how many autos I can get, others will look at other things. I didn’t register for Bad Wolf until a couple of weeks ago because, for me, the cost of the event didn’t justify the number of autos I wanted. A few weeks ago more guests were added and I registered. But I’ll still not buy as many extras as I’d like, and I know I’d have registered far earlier and spent far more, even without the extra guests, had the price been £5.

But then as Jason said that’s just me.

I

Regardless, If someone really wants an autograph of anyone, they will make an effort to get one. I for one dont think much of your suggestion.

William Shatner for example is charging £35 per autograph. Although, it is a lot of money, I doubt you will be able to meet him again so the cost is justified.

Edited by reddragon

The problem is for every person who might get more items signed at a lower price there will be some who will still only get one item signed and might well have paid the higher price anyway.

I didn't feel there was any gross price increases at this show, the only people charging £20/£25 were stars of either major film or TV franchises. For myself the majority of guests I met were around the £10/£15 mark which for the calibre of people I saw was what I would call very reasonable, especially in the case of the sports guests.

The problem is for every person who might get more items signed at a lower price there will be some who will still only get one item signed and might well have paid the higher price anyway.

I didn't feel there was any gross price increases at this show, the only people charging £20/£25 were stars of either major film or TV franchises. For myself the majority of guests I met were around the £10/£15 mark which for the calibre of people I saw was what I would call very reasonable, especially in the case of the sports guests.

Totally agree Count.

• Moderators

The thing is, I think most people, even if a guest is only £5 or £10, are still only going to buy one autograph. For me (and I suspect many others) the autograph isn't actually the most important part of the experience, it's the chance to meet the guest in question while they sign it, even if only briefly.

On rare occasions I have bought more than one autograph from someone at a time, but more often than not if I'm buying two, it's because one is for a friend who couldn't be there (and a signed picture is better than nothing).

Balancing up the numbers that the auto-hunters will buy at a lower price with the people who will meet them for one autograph at the higher price, do you really think that it will balance out to twice the number of autos sold at half the price?

(And I suspect that at least some of the price charged is dictated by the guest or their agent. The only thing SM can do about that is not get a guest at all, and I'm sure we'd rather they keep getting the guests!)

I had this exact conversation with Jason at Time Quest and he told me my ideas were rubbish and that I'm the only person, or one of the few who would do this. I politely disagree.

The simple fact for me is that a lot depends on the guest. If SM were to get someone I need lots from, such as David Tennant, or Harrison Ford, Richard Dean Anderson, I could go on. Then they could charge high fees and I suspect the guest would sign all day. For example Mark Hamill at a non-SM event a few years ago in London charged £70 per auto. A huge fee and not one I personally was willing to pay but despite that they sold out. Mark signed all day and even at that fee they turned people away.

But that was Mark Hamill. At a recent Tenth Planet signing they had two of the Weeping Angels from the recent Doctor Who story. They were charging £10 per auto. I didn’t even bother to attend. I would like their auto, I’d even pay £5 for it. But at £10 I simply wasn’t interested. I don’t know how many autos they sold, but I do know they’d have sold at least two more at £5.

Another example I’ve quoted elsewhere was Ingrid Pitt who attended an event where she was charging £5 (as it happens she wasn’t well enough to sign but the point stands). I looked and found seven items I wanted signed, that’s £35. If she’d been charging £10 I would have only got two items signed.

In my Doctor Who collection I’ve got books, photos, DVDs and CDs all signed. To pick someone at random I’ve got at least a dozen autos from Elisabeth Sladen. If she turns up somewhere charging £10 then I’m going to only get a couple of items more. But at £5 I’d look at all the Sarah Jane DVDs, the Doctor Who DVDs, etc. I’d probably get about 12 autos. At £10 I’d spend £20, at £5 I’d spend £60.

Jason tells me I’m the only one with the money to do this and the only one who thinks this way. I don’t agree and to be honest I’m no more or less able to prove my point than Jason is.

So I’ve a serious suggestion. Jason runs several events a year and I’m sure making more money would be good for him and for us as we’d get more and better guests. So why not experiment? Invite, for example, six Doctor Who guests to one event, and then a month later invite another six similar guests to a similar event in a similar or the same location. At one event charge £10, at the other charge £5. Then tot up the takings. I’d do this at different events because it would be difficult to explain to, for example, Colin Baker why he was worth £5, while Sylvester McCoy was worth £10. But at different events that’s less of an issue.

There’s no reason to keep the experiment a secret. The actors will be every bit as interested in making more money and would, I assume, therefore be just as happy to find out the result.

However much money any of us have we all live to a budget. When I personally look at an event I’m mostly interested in how many autos I can get, others will look at other things. I didn’t register for Bad Wolf until a couple of weeks ago because, for me, the cost of the event didn’t justify the number of autos I wanted. A few weeks ago more guests were added and I registered. But I’ll still not buy as many extras as I’d like, and I know I’d have registered far earlier and spent far more, even without the extra guests, had the price been £5.

But then as Jason said that’s just me.

I

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Roll back a little and read my posts and you'll see why. It's not enough to say 'let's do an experiment' - what you do has to make business sense, and what you're suggesting, frankly, doesn't.

You're saying that if a guest dropped their price by half, then a majority will then suddenly pull £60 out of their pocket. You really need to stop thinking that 'you' represent the majority. You don't. It's no different than the person who puts forward a nonsensical point of view and backs it by an anecdotal piece of evidence from a friend of theirs. No-one cares about whether something applies to one person, or two, or three. For policy makers, in business or politics or medicine or wherever, what matters is what the majority will do.

Go back and read my posts, and if you can rebut them with serious evidence fine, but until then I'm sorry but it's gibberish.

I think there's only one person that it would matter for me personally, which is someone who's been my hero since I was 5 (17 years) so I've got at least 10 things I would want signed. At £15, which he'd probably be, I'd have to save very hard so I could pick my top five. At £10 I'd be able to get more and at £5 I'd get them all.

But that's about it. I've never had more than two things signed by a guest at once so it wouldn't make much difference to me.

I think there's only one person that it would matter for me personally, which is someone who's been my hero since I was 5 (17 years) so I've got at least 10 things I would want signed. At £15, which he'd probably be, I'd have to save very hard so I could pick my top five. At £10 I'd be able to get more and at £5 I'd get them all.

But that's about it. I've never had more than two things signed by a guest at once so it wouldn't make much difference to me.

Just out of pure curiosity, who would that be? ^_^

Then try first autograph £10, with further autographs (on own items) being £5. The initial profit has been made, the collectors still win.

Ultimately there's so many who events to choose from these days fans are already starting to chose those which represent the best value for money. If its a choice between £200 buying me 20 autographs, and £300 buying me 60, end of the day I can't afford to miss the later.

Then try first autograph £10, with further autographs (on own items) being £5. The initial profit has been made, the collectors still win.

Ultimately there's so many who events to choose from these days fans are already starting to chose those which represent the best value for money. If its a choice between £200 buying me 20 autographs, and £300 buying me 60, end of the day I can't afford to miss the later.

Downside is then you will get people clubbing together to get the additional autographs cheaper, currently two people paying £10 each is £20 takings, doing it the way you suggested, two people could club together and get two autographs for £15, good for the punters, not so good for Showmasters who have to fund these events.

The other thing is by having a varied pricing structure in place it automatically makes things more complicated for the crew handling the money at the desks, and I'm assuming that if there is a shortage in takings at the end of the day they are the ones who get it in the neck.

Downside is then you will get people clubbing together to get the additional autographs cheaper, currently two people paying £10 each is £20 takings, doing it the way you suggested, two people could club together and get two autographs for £15, good for the punters, not so good for Showmasters who have to fund these events.

The other thing is by having a varied pricing structure in place it automatically makes things more complicated for the crew handling the money at the desks, and I'm assuming that if there is a shortage in takings at the end of the day they are the ones who get it in the neck.

I agree with the Count 1000%. To be honest, a varied pricing structure just wouldn't work - and if it did, it would involve so much administration as to be unworkable.

not so good for Showmasters who have to fund these events.

In the case of the Stormtroopers I'm sure the number of unsold photos signed for the dealers, plus the 100 prints, alone covers the expense of those gentlemen being there. I'm not suggesting doing that for all big guests, just the minor ones.

It would be a bit obvious if one person wanted 5 of the same photo done, or photos dedicated to five different people.

It works elsewhere.... indeed even the Tenth Planet signing events do a free 5th autograph for the price of 4.

If I may I'd like to add something to David Simmons post:

Mark Hamill was at Star Wars Celebration Europe back in 2007 and he was charging no less than £85. I still have the price list.

Mark Hamill was at Star Wars Celebration Europe back in 2007 and he was charging no less than £85. I still have the price list.

Yes he was. My only regret afterwards was that I didn't get two.

I agree with the Count 1000%. To be honest, a varied pricing structure just wouldn't work - and if it did, it would involve so much administration as to be unworkable.

Like this

You have to buy the photo. It costs £10. You have to have that signed. No substitutions.

Anything else (you bring yourself) costs £5.

You hand over your £10 for the photo then you hand over a further £5, £10, £15, £50. you get the idea.

Indeed if someone only wanted their own item signed, that's cost them £15 instead of £10 - the organiser wins! But at least everyone would get a signed photo to show for it.

Edited by TerraHawk

Believe it or not Mike I agree with you on this !!

If you want an autograph then you pay for it...whatever the cost.

I think if you like someone enough to go to the trouble to pay for travel/ hotel etc then you will save up to pay for the autos you want.

Personally, I've paid a fortune to meet John Schneider - I had to pay for flights/ hotel/ transport etc to the US ,so overall his autos cost me approx £300 each !!! ( Although when he found out my sis and I had come from the UK to see him he didn't charge us !!) :D

Okay, so maybe that's quite extreme...and yes it was a one off...but I'd saved for years to meet him and wasn't gonna give up that dream.

I'm not really fussed what an auto costs....we all know before we go....so I think the pricing is fair. Of course we'd all like things to be cheaper...but that's life !! :D

not so good for Showmasters who have to fund these events.

In the case of the Stormtroopers I'm sure the number of unsold photos signed for the dealers, plus the 100 prints, alone covers the expense of those gentlemen being there. I'm not suggesting doing that for all big guests, just the minor ones.

It would be a bit obvious if one person wanted 5 of the same photo done, or photos dedicated to five different people.

It works elsewhere.... indeed even the Tenth Planet signing events do a free 5th autograph for the price of 4.

Not being funny but my storm trooper guy sold out every single one of his photos lol.

Like this

You have to buy the photo. It costs £10. You have to have that signed. No substitutions.

You hand over your £10 for the photo then you hand over a further £5, £10, £15, £50. you get the idea.

Indeed if someone only wanted their own item signed, that's cost them £15 instead of £10 - the organiser wins! But at least everyone would get a signed photo to show for it.

How did you find your experience with getting Marks? Was it good/bad because I went for the whole three days and the accomodation was steep so was bits and pieces of merchandise and it was on the Sunday I went crazy and got more or less every Autograph going.

I wanted to get Mark but I heard a number of things which put me off but as this was simply heresy I wont write them here but this is why I'd like to know how your experience was with him. If your time in the queue was civil and if you were happy with his signature etc?

Like this

There's an even more simple solution, you pick the photo you want signed, you pay the advertised price...thats it!

Not being funny but my storm trooper guy sold out every single one of his photos lol.

I just love the way you speak of him as being *your* stormtrooper :)

He was :D we got invited to Japan together....hahha :D

Well in which case I'm impressed, which one was he? Better get him back next time if he's doing that well :D

Ron Conrad... tbf 100 were bought by a dealer and he kept like 5 for himself, but the rest were sold.

Like this

How did you find your experience with getting Marks? Was it good/bad because I went for the whole three days and the accomodation was steep so was bits and pieces of merchandise and it was on the Sunday I went crazy and got more or less every Autograph going.

I wanted to get Mark but I heard a number of things which put me off but as this was simply heresy I wont write them here but this is why I'd like to know how your experience was with him. If your time in the queue was civil and if you were happy with his signature etc?

I met him at that event on the Friday. The queue was a total farce, must have queued in one long queue for about 3 hours. However it was totally worth it as he was saying hello, personalising & posing for photos.