Hilton

talie

We got charged on arrival for Proms. As we booked in we also paid for the hotel, they also let us pay cash too. Definately hope I can do this again for ET3 as theres no way I'll have like £220 for the hotel on Monday as well as like £270 for tickets!!!

Edited by naurarwen_fangorn

Dont panic,

You can use your card and on arrival you can pay the room charge.

Think we are all feeling the pinch of the ticket costs and Christmas.

Oh and I cant get a photo to upload on here keeps saying theres an error anyone know why and how?

Anyway we will all have our cooler bags xx

• Showmasters Admin

Oh and I cant get a photo to upload on here keeps saying theres an error anyone know why and how?

You can not upload pictures directly on to the forum. They have to be hosted on a picture site like photobucket first and then linked to.

They only take your card details when you book and you pay when you get there. We paid cash as well :thumbup:

Dont panic,

You can use your card and on arrival you can pay the room charge.

Think we are all feeling the pinch of the ticket costs and Christmas.

Anyway we will all have our cooler bags xx

Aye we did that last time too, but Im sure thats the way park inn operated first time around? then changed it for et2 so im wondering are hilton gonna do the same :(

That seems a bit unfair, unless they had a lot of cancellations.

Actually I dont think they can do that, T&C's of booking a hotel is a deposit sort of like when you book in advance for a holiday.

I would suggest everyone reads the small print and reads the T&C's on the hotels actual website.

I know they are in it to make money but I cant see them getting a fully booked hotel unless its for an event of this scale, not even a wedding would take up a whole hotel. Unless because they have organised a discount with SM/ME means you have to pay up front???

In which case surely SM/ME know its not purely those of an age above 16 who go these events and know along with the price of the ticket and the cost of the hotel straight out is not always an option.

That seems a bit unfair, unless they had a lot of cancellations.

Actually I dont think they can do that, T&C's of booking a hotel is a deposit sort of like when you book in advance for a holiday.

I would suggest everyone reads the small print and reads the T&C's on the hotels actual website.

I know they are in it to make money but I cant see them getting a fully booked hotel unless its for an event of this scale, not even a wedding would take up a whole hotel. Unless because they have organised a discount with SM/ME means you have to pay up front???

Your first sentence hits it right on the head. A year or two back there was a convention at The Park Inn in Northampton where apparently a substantial number of people booked rooms but not con tickets (The con wasn't sold out). When the final guest line-up wasn't to these folks liking, they didn't but con tickets and cancelled their rooms at the last minute. leaving the hotel with, I believe, several dozen empty rooms that weekend, when presumably they'd been turning people away for weeks. Hence that hotel's change of policy - it makes sense from a point of view of attracting customers to have a fairly relaxed attitude towards cancellations - but if people start taking the mickey like that then obviously they're going to review it.

As for the T&Cs for booking a hotel, they're quite entitled to take all the money on booking if they want, so long as it's in their T&Cs and you agree to them. It's just that most don't do that because they know it makes them less attractive compared to competitors who don't require payment until arrival.

Your first sentence hits it right on the head. A year or two back there was a convention at The Park Inn in Northampton where apparently a substantial number of people booked rooms but not con tickets (The con wasn't sold out).

Yes, what Tommy wrote is exactly right.

The hotel policies for the Park Inn changed after the last Heroes convention being held there. The hotel was fully booked right away because everyone was blocking the rooms, but not the tickets. When the guest list didn't turn out to the liking of those who had reserved the room, they cancelled their rooms in the very last minute and the hotel was left with a lot of unoccupied rooms.

I wouldn't panic about the Hilton doing the same yet, at least not until this happens again at a convention taking place there.

I work in a hotel, and I know unless its an advance purchase rate, then any credit card you have given is usually just to secure the booking. That's including large groups we have in for conferences who are paying for their own rooms. I don't work at Hilton though, so they may have a diff policy, so def double check!

It does make sense though if they ask you to pay before or on arrival, because it is an event.

If you want to see if there are cheaper room rates that aren't part of the allocation, then check if any hotel has an advance purchase rate - I know for a fact that Marriott and Holiday Inn have these. They usually end up being the cheaper rates, and you pay up front so that all you have to pay for are any extras.