Are you New to Hub3 and travelling by Train ? Read This

julie Hannah

Hi Everyone,. If you are New to Hub3 and Travelling by Train make sure you get a Train to Birmingham International Station, When you come outside between the Bus Stop and Taxi Rank you will see a Hilton Courtesy Bus to take you to the Hotel which is Free. They run every 15/20 mins and there is a phone inside the Station so you can contact them when you arrive, but they are usually outside waiting i have never had to phone. The Journey usually takes about 5/10 mins, and you can speak to the concierge at the Hotel and they will get the Bus to take you back to the Station when you depart. And for anyone who has not attended a Convention at this Hotel before it is important to Know that as its a Hilton Hotel the Food and Drink is expensive, and there is no were close by to go to eat with it being on the N.E.C site. At Badwolf in July Tenthplanet/Showmasters arranged a Room were they did Budget Food but the Choice was not great but it was cheaper than Hotel Prices and there was Hot and Cold Food. There is a Subway Shop inside the Station but you would have to get the Mini Bus back to the station from the Hotel just for a Sandwich, We will have to wait to see if Showmasters arrange a Room like this for the Hub3. I hope this helps. julie-t :WINCE::P

Hi VampireSlayer3,. When you are unemployed and paying for two people to eat the Hilton is very expensive and we are not big portion people, also with us both being Disabled and without a Car walking anywere for us is tricky. This is why i like to help people with the information i put on the Forum, because there are a lot of people like myself (Maybe not Disabled) but on a very very tight Budget.I really struggled to pay for both of us in July at Badwolf and either missed lunch to eat in the evening or have lunch and miss out on evening meal so my Son was fed, but everyone is different and may be able to pay the Hotel prices. But i was only trying to Help. julie-t :smile:

I found your info really helpful and will probably get some snacks in when we get off the train on the Thursday when we arrive to take back to the hotel. Also as my mum as arthritis we shall defiantely be using the bus to the hotel. So thanks for the info. Much appreciated. :smile:

At midlands I took the bus until I left the con on the sunday, when I walked to the NEC and found that it only took 5 mins.

So if anyone who can walk it does so, people who need the minibus (such as Julie) can have priority :thumbup:

Seriously, with the waiting for the bus to leave and there being no direct roads (you have to do a big loop to drive from to and from the hotel from the NEC) its much quicker to walk if you can.

Just to let you all know, we will be having a room again at the Hilton where they serve discounted food! :thumbup:

I can't recall the exact prices but I know that everyone, myself included, thought it was very reasonable.

Mark ;)

Excellent news! As someone who would reather spend money on the shineys than on food, I really appreciate it!

Hi Everyone,. Glad you were pleased with me posting about the Bus and Food and thank you Mark for reassuring everyone there will be a Budget Food Room, I think it's the Mum side of me that wants me to make sure that everyone has a great time and if on a Tight Budget that they know about a Free Bus and that the Hotels Food is expensive. I am on Benefits and a lot of people are unemployed at the moment or Students and work to a strict Budget, so helping people by giving out advice is something i feel is important to make sure we have as much fun as possible, if i remember rightly i think Hot Meals in the Budget Food Room was about £6 each with 3 choices and they did Sandwiches, Crisps, Cocolate Bars, Can Drinks, Tea and Coffee. I remember looking at the Hotel Bar Food Menu and a Plain Pizza was £16/£18 and toppings extra £2, So you can have 3 Hot evening Meals in the Budget Food Room for the price of 1 Hotel Pizza. Hope you have a great Weekend and i am so Happy to help were i can. julie-t :D:D

Just to let you all know, we will be having a room again at the Hilton where they serve discounted food! :D I can't recall the exact prices but I know that everyone, myself included, thought it was very reasonable.

Mark :pyth:

Ooh that's great news, I'll definitely be going there for my dinner and probably tea. That is of course after I've had my free breakfast which comes as part of the booking with Hilton Hotels. :D At the moment, I'm not sure if I'll be getting the train to Birmingham or the car there. It depends which is quickest I suppose, I'd have thought it was the train but my parents say it'd be quicker in the car. I just have this bad feeling in my head that there'd be a traffic jam if I went in the car though. :dance:

Edited by Doctor Who

Hi Doctor Who,. Yes you get a Full english Breakfast which you help yourself to and there is also Cereal, Toast, Muffins, Yogurts, Fresh Juice and when we were there in July mini jam doughnuts (couldn't eat for Breakfast, but took a couple put them in a Napkin for mid morning or afternoon snack). So if you fill yourself up at Breakfast you will only need a Sandwich and a pkt Crisps at lunchtime, then you have your Hot meal in the evening. They don't have a great Dessert range in the Budget Food Room, so if you do need a pudding i suggest you bring a couple of Boxes of Cakes or pkts of biscuits to fill up with. Hope this information helps. julie-t :D

If you can walk you definitely don't need to get the bus to the hotel. I know that some of the taxi drivers at the train station are a tad unscrupulous and will drive unsuspecting souls to the hotels when you can walk there.

I remember the budget meal room at Bad Wolf was very cheap - it was like £3.50 for a baguette and chips - all very reasonable. But of course if the cost of food is a concern at any con the key is to make full use of the hotel breakfast (including smuggling out pastries in napkins for eating later) and bring your own crisps, snacks, drinks, pot noodles. If you're on a budget you should never rely on there being something cheap nearby - planning ahead is key!

This free breakfast.... would you say it's best to leave that if we're squishing more than 2 people into a room?

... technically there's nothing to say you couldn't send two people down with really large pockets .... ;P

This free breakfast.... would you say it's best to leave that if we're squishing more than 2 people into a room?

... technically there's nothing to say you couldn't send two people down with really large pockets .... ;P

Hummm.... Good idea.....

Hi Never,. Just to let you know that 2 Restaurant managers and waiting on staff greet you at the entrance to the Main Restaurant were the Breakfast is served, they ask your Room number and Name and show you to your table. I think if you have more than 2 in your room and they aren't listed may pose a problem at breakfast. My idea would be that your extra roomies bring some Cereal Bars as there is Tea and Coffee making facilities in the Room, or you make some Toast and there are mini Jam pots on the table and take it with you wrapped in a Napkin and they can have that with a Cuppa. Thats my best suggestion to your problem. julie-t :D

Hi Never,. Just to let you know that 2 Restaurant managers and waiting on staff greet you at the entrance to the Main Restaurant were the Breakfast is served, they ask your Room number and Name and show you to your table. I think if you have more than 2 in your room and they aren't listed may pose a problem at breakfast. My idea would be that your extra roomies bring some Cereal Bars as there is Tea and Coffee making facilities in the Room, or you make some Toast and there are mini Jam pots on the table and take it with you wrapped in a Napkin and they can have that with a Cuppa. Thats my best suggestion to your problem. julie-t :D

... that was sort of the point of the large pockets comment *cough*

if they have staff asking for name/room, probably just make sure you give same name (ie: that the room is booked under), and probably send the same 2 ppl down both days if you wanted to be v cautious/paranoid.

bringing breakfast bars, et al probably also good as backup (if there are lots of staff may be harder to sneak enough extra food, etc)

Well my room isn't booked in my name or anyone I know lol so that poses a teeny problem anyway

Well my room isn't booked in my name or anyone I know lol so that poses a teeny problem anyway

Come and join me for breakfast! I'll be having cereal, UHT milk and possibly some instant mash :P

How nice lol.

I was sort of joking about the name anyway.

Aren't you staying with anyone?

Yeah but there's already two of them and I'm the extra person so I won't get the free breakfast.

You could always bring your mash to our room in the morning as we will most probably be having a sort of picnic breakfast. That is assuming we have the time...