James Masters sponsored guest for the Hub

showmasters

What they mean is ME had to fork out extra to get him here, and need to make it back with charging extra for autographs and such.

The other guests they could easily cover (like most events), but sometimes they need to ask for a little more to cover costs.

Same with charging for talks at certain events for certain guests. SM just need to make thet little bit more to cover what they spent to get a guest/get a guest to do certain things.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to meet him! I'm definately going to have to get a photo, I'll get his autograph too if it's not too expensive. I'm just happy he'll be there, I don't mind paying extra if it menas we get to see him.

Well for those of us that live in the real world, work for a living and don't have a student loan to squander it is added expense - £195 for ticket, plus three nights accommodation throw in travel and the need to eat over three days and it soon adds up without having to pay extra once you're there.

Sorry, but I just had to reply to this. I'm going to be using my student loan for this. It's the only way I can afford to go. I used my student loan for CM15, and will be using it for LFCC - but I'm always ever so careful with my money. I pay rent at uni, and the bills and TV liscence, pay for all my food while I'm there, and I have to pay rent when I'm at home as my mum can't afford to have me at home if I don't pay (so at the moment I'm paying 2 lots of rent as I'm home before the end of term). Every single pound I spend is budgeted carefully (my mum's brought me up well with forward planning - she's had to). If I didn't have my loan I wouldn't be able to go to uni, let alone do anything like this - and, personally, I'd rather save up whatever I have left after rent, food, travel, books etc and spend it on something worthwhile like this than 'squander' it on alcohol and going clubbing, which is what everyone else seems to do with their loans. Plus, there's only so many things I can buy that are relevant to my degree. I have over 50 books, and I went to Rome over Easter on a study trip. Why not use the money I have left over to do stuff that I enjoy that isn't related to my degree?

And, tbh, I'm going to be in debt after uni anyway, so why not enjoy myself until then? Not spending my loan won't do any difference in the long run, I'm still going to be in just as much debt as before.

I'll get off my soapbox now, it just irritates me when people have a go at uni students and try to tell them how to spend their loan, or how because we have loans we don't know anything about the real world or how to look after our money, or think we have no struggle to pay for everything like everyone else. And don't forget, the loan doesn't cover the summer. So budgeting for living through the summer has to be done before any fun things anyway!

Edited by lizzy88

• Moderators

I've never quite understood the "I can't afford all this so it's bad!" mentality.

It's the same with anything in life isn't it? Things cost money! You can't go into shops and moan at them for charging for something just because you can't afford it. Well, I guess you could, but you're never going to get it for free.

In the end, people have to prioritise. We all do unless we're insanely rich with money to throw around without a care .. though I like to think even if I was rich, I wouldn't waste it!

If there's something extra that someone wants, then they can save up, or sell some stuff, or sacrifice something else etc. There's so many different ways of organising a way around more expenses if you absolutely HAVE to do something. It doesn't matter whether you're a student, or unemployed, or working regularly.

I've never quite understood the "I can't afford all this so it's bad!" mentality.

It's the same with anything in life isn't it? Things cost money! You can't go into shops and moan at them for charging for something just because you can't afford it. Well, I guess you could, but you're never going to get it for free.

Yes but on top of a ticket that costs over £100 and paying for the hotel rooms some people really can't afford it.

• Moderators

I get that people can't afford it. I can't afford to go to Florida or buy a car or whatever, but I'm not going on holiday websites and moaning at the travel agents.

I have this radical idea where when I can't afford something, I just don't get it.

There's no Showmasters/Massive Events club where they direct debit money out of everyones accounts every time an event or guest is announced. It's always a choice!

• Moderators

I expect if they had customers who thought all meals were included then found they had to pay for breakfast they'd hear about it.

And if they suggested that there'd be a maximum number of meals, and then decided to put on an additional service for those who wanted it?

James is additional to what has been offered. It doesn't mean you won't be getting what you're meant to.

Ah but the programme says 'up to a maximum of 6' on 'free' autographs.

Last time because they got less guests than they hoped, they included them all (over 6) in the tickets. Nowhere does it say that, even without sponsered ones. you get ALL the guests included.

If they got say, 15 guests, only 6 of them (providing they stick to the rules) would be included in your ticket.

Now they announced him being extra with his guest announcment. If they had changed him from being regular to sponsored, then we may have a case. But as we have known JM was extra from the moment he was announced, ME have themselves covered. They didnt take away a guests free-ness, like if JB had suddenly become sponsered.

It's very unlikely that he is.

I do have to say I'm slightly disappointed to hear that. Oh well, it still won't change the fact that I will be buying his autograph (or several). It just would have been nice to get them personalized too.

And I'm not complaining. I think it's great that he's coming and I'll take him in whatever way I can.

Edited by piksa

James hurt his hand a few years back and its hard for him to sign for too long so he started not personalising so he could get through as many people as possible. He only ever does personalisation now at very small limited events where he wont have to write too long. He is well worth meeting though if you havent before.

nicky

Edited by buffy2k

James hurt his hand a few years back and its hard for him to sign for too long so he started not personalising so he could get through as many people as possible. He only ever does personalisation now at very small limited events where he wont have to write too long. He is well worth meeting though if you havent before.

nicky

Oh, I wasn't actually aware of this. Sorry to hear it.

Yes, he's definitely worth meeting. I've met him twice before but that was some years ago. Can't wait for October to meet him again (twice)

Hi. Sorry to come across a bit slow but this will be my first covention and I've been thrown a bit by some of the comments in this thread.

1) When and where do we pay for autographs and/or photgraphs?

2) Someone has said he is unlikely to be personalising, i'm assuming this mean we get an autogrpah only - not "Hi ...., nice to meet you, all the best James Marsters"

3) If he is sponsored for autogrpahs and photographs will he still appear on a guest panel, and will he be attending the drinks reception on the friday?

Sorry if this really is basic stuff but I just wanted to get the facts

Also, slightly off topic - are most of the people at these conventions pretty friendly as I'll be turning up on my tod and wont know anyone!

• Moderators

1) Not sure if they'll put them online or not, but if not then you can buy them at the event itself at the registration desk.

2) Yes, it just means it'll be his signature.

3) The schedule is posted up closer to the event, so you'll see then who is attending on what days etc. This is so they know who is available when, and don't need to re-jig the schedule too much.

And everyone is very friendly. If you have the time, get to know people on here, MSN, Facebook etc so even when you turn up alone, you'll already know a few! :D

Also, slightly off topic - are most of the people at these conventions pretty friendly as I'll be turning up on my tod and wont know anyone!

No we're not, well eat you alive mwha ha ha :firedevil: No seriously we are a nice but random bunch of people so I'm really feeling sorry for those sharing the hotel but not the fun :D

Anyway, had a wee thought, with John not even bothering to know whether he is coming or not why not ditch him, make James fully paid up. Works wonders if he's there for the whole 3 days.

Oh and a nod to costs, at The other 2 Hubs the most anyone charged was £15 (I know they weren't sponsored those that were didn't have a photo op opportunity which I am mad about as I'd love to have a photo of me and Hot Weevil) so would there be a chance of James being that instead of £20? I know its asking a lot but with this move to the Hilton and the recession every penny helps.

Hi. Sorry to come across a bit slow but this will be my first covention and I've been thrown a bit by some of the comments in this thread.

1) When and where do we pay for autographs and/or photgraphs?

2) Someone has said he is unlikely to be personalising, i'm assuming this mean we get an autogrpah only - not "Hi ...., nice to meet you, all the best James Marsters"

3) If he is sponsored for autogrpahs and photographs will he still appear on a guest panel, and will he be attending the drinks reception on the friday?

Sorry if this really is basic stuff but I just wanted to get the facts

I know these things have already been answered, but just to further clarify:

1. You can generally pre-pay for autos/photos, or you can buy them on the day. Obviously you get one auto free from the guests (except from sponsored guests like James) and also a photo from participating, non sponsored guests (if you have a Silver or Gold ticket).

2. It might just be an autograph now, depending on how his hand is feeling, probably won't know for sure until the event

3. Only SM can answer that, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't at least do the panels!

Yes, events like this are a great way to meet friendly and like minded people. You need to be a little adventurous and chat to people in the queues, but I've met a lot of my best friends at events like these. :whistling:

Anyway, had a wee thought, with John not even bothering to know whether he is coming or not why not ditch him, make James fully paid up. Works wonders if he's there for the whole 3 days.

er.. ditch the star of TW? at a TW convention!. James is a nice addition, but I'm there to see John! (even if he's just there for one day!)