Latest Guest Announcement Avery Brooks

showmasters

I never really watched Deep Space Nine, so I would be seeing Avery Brooks for the original Spenser for Hire TV series, the Spenser for Hire TV movies and the spin-off called A Man Called Hawk.

As a big fan of the Spenser novels, I was most impressed with his portrayal as Hawk; he did that ubercool character so well.

I never really watched Deep Space Nine, so I would be seeing Avery Brooks for the original Spenser for Hire TV series, the Spenser for Hire TV movies and the spin-off called A Man Called Hawk.

As a big fan of the Spenser novels, I was most impressed with his portrayal as Hawk; he did that ubercool character so well.

Spenser was a good show. IMHO Brooks was just as convincing as Samuel L. Jackson in that type of role, but without the knowing self-aware irony that's marred Jackson's later career. BTW, Robert B Parker is also responsible for Jesse Stone, which Tom Selleck has turned into a successful run of DTV movies.

Got a lot of respect for Brooks - as a man and as an actor. Definitely looking forward to meeting him.

Spenser was a good show. IMHO Brooks was just as convincing as Samuel L. Jackson in that type of role, but without the knowing self-aware irony that's marred Jackson's later career. BTW, Robert B Parker is also responsible for Jesse Stone, which Tom Selleck has turned into a successful run of DTV movies.

Got a lot of respect for Brooks - as a man and as an actor. Definitely looking forward to meeting him.

tom selleck's name has popped up a fair few times in your posts recently, i hope SM get the subliminal messaging and he's announced soon!

tom selleck's name has popped up a fair few times in your posts recently, i hope SM get the subliminal messaging and he's announced soon!

Ha ha - me too buddy! ;) Have decided I'm going to ask Avery Brooks to sign a baseball - I don't know if he gets that a lot (I wouldn't have thought it's the first time) but we'll give it a go. Must be quite difficult to sign a baseball!

As I type this, I'm looking at my baseball, signed by Mr Brooks. It sits on my desk and is one of my favourite autographed pieces. If I go to CM15, I'll have to think of something new for him to sign but he's always a great guest and really lovely in photo shoots. You have to see this guy give a talk. It's actually more like a sermon, full of passion, vision, hope and love.

I've seen him speak to hundreds who hang on his every word in complete silence. A true class act and an authentic artist.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw Avery on the flyer at CM Midlands / Autographica, I was wandering how I could have missed the announcement! Then I figured out that between the Official SG Con in Vancouver and crewing last weekend, I have not been on the forums for like a month :( ooops! ;)

I thought Avery had only previously done GMEX? :(

I would get his auto again if there was a special 8x10/picture of ALL the captains on it, purely as Scott has been announced for LFaCC and it would be a pleasure to meet Kate Mulgrew again ;) I have not got Patric yet as I couldn't part with £25 for a repeat Shattner experience in 2007 :( I like to atleast have my name on my autos even if I don't get to ask a Q!

but, hopefully, I will start my job sometime soon and therefore be able to afford to get lots of autos wahooo! :(

surfy sah xx

As I type this, I'm looking at my baseball, signed by Mr Brooks. It sits on my desk and is one of my favourite autographed pieces. If I go to CM15, I'll have to think of something new for him to sign but he's always a great guest and really lovely in photo shoots. You have to see this guy give a talk. It's actually more like a sermon, full of passion, vision, hope and love.

I've seen him speak to hundreds who hang on his every word in complete silence. A true class act and an authentic artist.

I'm starting to think about getting a baseball signed as well, did you get a special type of baseball for him to sign or a standard off the peg one? I had hoped there might even be a Star Trek baseball available for sale somewhere but I can't seem to find one

I'm starting to think about getting a baseball signed as well, did you get a special type of baseball for him to sign or a standard off the peg one? I had hoped there might even be a Star Trek baseball available for sale somewhere but I can't seem to find one

Have never seen a Star Trek themed one - was just going to go for a bog standard one.

Have never seen a Star Trek themed one - was just going to go for a bog standard one.

Thats where the next dilema comes in, I'm guessing there are baseballs and baseballs, any clues on what is a decent brand or whatever to get. After all I don't want to pay out then find it falls apart 10 minutes after I get it home!

I've checked with a friend who gets baseballs signed at Major League games in the US, and he says the Official Major League baseballs are the best, but of course also the most expensive.

Yes, just what I was going to say. Wilson, or Rawlings. That said, to be honest as long as it's well made it should be fine - they're pretty durable if they're not being used. His one in the show was unmarked, but it was pretty standard : -

180px-Sisko_baseball.jpg

More about Sisko's Baseball

Edited by MikeDonovan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey SM,

Not sure if you have any control over this but is there any chance the first photo on the announcement page (the casual one with the black background) could be made available for signing? It's a fantastic photo of Mr Brooks.

Statesidestills.com and Movie Market don't have any 8x10 photos available of Avery Brooks in Spenser for Hire, A Man Called Hawk or the 90's TV movies of Spenser for Hire. Are there any other websites which have Avery Brooks pictures from Spenser for Hire?

After doing a Google Images search I did find one webpage about Spenser for Hire, which had a picture of Avery Brooks with Robert Urich, but I don't know if you can print off a copy of the picture. I couldn't find a contact email address so I could ask for permission.

Edited by SunSpeed

I tried finding a Spenser picture when Avery appeared first at G-Mex and came up empty. You wouldn't think that it was that hard. :P In the end a friend saved me, she had a very old Spenser press kit and gave me one of her photos from that one.

I hope you have better luck than me!