The constructive criticism thread

I had a really brilliant time and I didn't really have much reason to complain about anything. However, there a few points that people have already made that I'd definitely agree with:

"last party was a bit of a flop"

I'm gonna dispute this! The last night's party was not a flop for all of us! Once we started asking the DJ to play lots of cheesy stuff there was a good crowd of people on the dancefloor having a fantastic time! :D

I thought the Sunday night party was good too. The music on that night was a bit more rock-y and that's the sort of stuff I like, (although I did love the music at the 40s party) and Gareth being there was a bonus - he was very entertaining :dance:

I just have one suggestion, nothing major, regarding the intimate encounters. I think a fairer system could be used for the winners, rather than who has the biggest bank balance! I really do appreciate you are running a business but there were some people who were HUGE fans and couldn't get that 45 mins with the guests simply because their financial situation could not allow it. Let's face it, not everyone has a great amount of disposable income, esp. in the current climate! Maybe for a couple of the stars you could have a competition based on knowledge of Torchwood and 12 of those who get full marks get the encounter, and only pay a small (say £20 ish) fee for the pleasure? This gives everyone a fighting chance! Plus, having the quiz would be something extra to do over the weekend! It could be done at the end of one of the talks and all answer sheets handed in on the way out, so no one is getting any sneaky answers from the internet! I was one of the lucky ones at Kai's 'encounter' but really did feel for those who couldn't afford to bid.

I like the idea of that. Raffling off a few of the places rather than auctioning them off would give a few more people the chance to take part. I think we have to bear in mind that everyone has already paid as much as they can afford for their weekend pass (standard, silver or gold) and any photos/autos, and the hotel and travel don't come cheap either. It's also plain to see that there are lots of younger people at these events (not that I'm one of them) who are unlikely to be earning enough money to spend £60 for one of these encounters, so they automatically have no chance under the current system.

Ha! I have a silly little complaint. It's very minor. My friend cut up her arm on the badges because the cornors we're really sharp. If you could round them or something that'd be great.

Yup, I kept cutting myself on mine too :YAHOO:

That happened to a member of the group I was in, as well. She got shoved to the back by people who hadn't previously been standing with us, and I had to bring John's attention back to her to make sure that she got her rightful time. Very bad behaviour on the part of those who elbowed her out of the way, I thought.

And I really appreciated that :WAVE: (Perhaps I need to grow a bit...)

I'd echo the suggestion for more timetables, or at least larger and clearer ones, to be displayed.

Edited by TeamGB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When JB came to our group I was shoved/elbowed out of the way by two people and got pushed to stand almost directly behind his back where I could neither see him or hear what he was saying. Immensely rude but I didn't want to cause a fuss and give a bad impression of the other attendees to the guests or ruin anyone else's evening so I just stayed quiet. But I was rather appalled at this behaviour, I must admit! Otherwise, everyone else was really fantastic.

That happened to a member of the group I was in, as well. She got shoved to the back by people who hadn't previously been standing with us, and I had to bring John's attention back to her to make sure that she got her rightful time. Very bad behaviour on the part of those who elbowed her out of the way, I thought.

where you the group with the coat?

Yes, I was.

Couple of comments. A few more than 2 people didn't get autos for some. I didn't get Lachlan's but on the other hand I freely admit that was my choice as the only time I could have got it cos of photoshoots and stuff was by leaving either John or Gareth's talks and that was never going to happen. My choice, Lachlan was there so I can't complain really.

i got Lachlan`s auto between talks as there was time between each talk. The numbering system works like collectormania once your group had been called you could tag on to the end of the queue.

My only moan would be that I couldnt get Lachlan's auto either. My group (number 18) wasnt called before lunch so I had to wait til after and this obv clashed with two of the talks. I popped out of the main hall inbetween talks to go queue for his auto but, even tho his queue was quite small, I was told that as my group hadnt been ticked off on the sheet that I couldnt go down. I explained about the talk situation but was just told bluntly that I'd have to come back later. I did and Lachlan's queue was closed. From what I remember, there were a few of the latter standard ticket groups that hadnt been called so I dont know if it was just me that this happened to! I have no idea why I couldnt have just been allowed to go down especially as he was just doing the Saturday and why should I miss any of the talks when I made the effort to get his auto inbetween?!

Anywaaayyy, moan over lol. Just please get him back for another show!

Other than that, I had a fantastic time!! I've not laughed so much at a con in my life!

Thank you to Wendy on the reg desk and anyone else who helped sort out my photo shoot dilemma and stopped the flood of tears that were nearly spilling over! Damn trains and engineering works lol!

I agree with the comments about the encounters. My friend and I did bid for Gareth's ones on the Sunday but couldnt go very high as just couldnt afford to.

I know at Lockdown they did them but I think this was just for gold/silver tickets and I think it should be open to everyone.

xxxxx

where you the group with the coat?

Nope! I don't think anyone was distinctive. I didn't take much notice of the people who basicaly shoved me out of the way as I was too annoyed/upset (especially as I was with the last few to get JB's auto so didn't even have time for a hello then either). One bod was wearing a hat though :)

Ok only bits i have are as follows................

Please could a logo or something go on the front of the t shirt....mainly because i have long hair and the logo on theback is covered up by it and the front was a bit too plain.

The dinner......i had literally five minutes to get ready and couldn't change or anything...literally had to go as i was......plus at the auction i never even knew that a dinnner with Kai was being auctioned...apparently it was done so quick that even though i was in the darn room i didn't hear it at all.

Please if it is going to be a genuine cocktail party with REAL cocktails can you please state it....it was stated as cocktail party and ended up being just various types of wine and fruit juices.....i'm not a huge wine drinker and some of the guests were not either....would have been handy to have the bar open in the cocktail area to serve those of us who didn't want wine....i could have murdered a JD but alas i couldn't get one......nice touch of the snacks though yum yum haribo.

Intimate encounters......would be nicer to see them raffled off instead of bidded for as not everyne had coupious amounts of money to spend.

Could stage lighting be rectified next time at all...for those of us who like to still take pics without the flash the lighting was a bit poor and didn't produce great effects.

Please could we all have a print out of the schedule....there were so few of them that so many crowds developed around them that you couldn't always check what was what.

Dealers room.....the only quip i have with this was.....there was sooooooooo much Captain Jack stuff that the other cast were kinda relogated....not enough Ianto, Weevil, Rhys, Gwen, Tosh and Owen stuff such as pics

Ok only bits i have are as follows................

Please could a logo or something go on the front of the t shirt....mainly because i have long hair and the logo on theback is covered up by it and the front was a bit too plain.

The dinner......i had literally five minutes to get ready and couldn't change or anything...literally had to go as i was......plus at the auction i never even knew that a dinnner with Kai was being auctioned...apparently it was done so quick that even though i was in the darn room i didn't hear it at all.

Please if it is going to be a genuine cocktail party with REAL cocktails can you please state it....it was stated as cocktail party and ended up being just various types of wine and fruit juices.....i'm not a huge wine drinker and some of the guests were not either....would have been handy to have the bar open in the cocktail area to serve those of us who didn't want wine....i could have murdered a JD but alas i couldn't get one......nice touch of the snacks though yum yum haribo.

Intimate encounters......would be nicer to see them raffled off instead of bidded for as not everyne had coupious amounts of money to spend.

Could stage lighting be rectified next time at all...for those of us who like to still take pics without the flash the lighting was a bit poor and didn't produce great effects.

Please could we all have a print out of the schedule....there were so few of them that so many crowds developed around them that you couldn't always check what was what.

Dealers room.....the only quip i have with this was.....there was sooooooooo much Captain Jack stuff that the other cast were kinda relogated....not enough Ianto, Weevil, Rhys, Gwen, Tosh and Owen stuff such as pics

I agree strongly with a number of these, actually. Gareth complained about the lack of spirits at the cocktail party, and he wasn't talking about the group excitement level.

Also agree on the logo issue, for the same reason. (Long hair, nobody can see, etc.)

As for the dealer room, I was very anxious to find a picture of Jack and Ianto, and there were none that weren't publicity stills that looked as though they'd been photoshopped together. (I rather suspect that you've guessed that there are more than a few Janto fans amongst your customers. :D)

Upon reflection, I would also add my plea to those asking for a schedule in the packets. It would save a fair bit of jamming up in key areas.

No criticism from me - I had an amazing time, way beyond what I expected. But I'd like to support the people who are suggesting that a couple of places get raffled in some way for the intimate encounters. I'd like to see it limited so that people can only buy one ticket, to rule out block buying of tickets, and I also think it should be the case that if you've ended up as a winning bidder, and then your ticket is drawn for a free place, you have to stick with paying your bid and let someone else get the free place.

On the Sunday night party issue, no way was it a flop with Gareth there, but I do think there's always something missing when the room is too big for the number of people. I don't know if The Park have a smaller room that can be used for the Sunday parties which might give a better feel to things? On the plus side though, there were plenty of places to sit Sunday night.

Nothing else, except the weekend, the guests and the crew were fantastic and THANK YOU so much :thumbup::clap:

Most of it worked for me but just a couple of points.

I know you have already picked up the schedule bit already but would it be possible to say have half the guests start at the lower end of the ticket nos and half with the golds and silvers. I had a standard for this event (and a lowish no too) and we only got one photo on saturday and no autos at all so this meant we had to be running around all morning on sunday flitting from the other 3 photos we wanted back and forth to the auto halls. It does need to be a little fairer so everyone gets some each day otherwise the standards are hanging around with nothing to do on the saturday. We never got to see any of the guests who were there on saturday only at all. Not too worried this time but we should have had the opportunity and nobody came round with a final call for everyone that we heard either for these guests?

Also when in the auto q on sunday i was told by one lady she had already had her autos and was getting extra ones from John when there were still people who hadnt had any from him on the sunday morning. Now surely as with other cons you should be buying extra autos upon arrival or up to the time your autos are announced not got round once then potentially 3 or 4 more times, otherwise some people could potentially not get their autos at all plus it means the guests could be signing all day!

this was my main trouble spots everything else was fine.

• Showmasters Admin

Most of it worked for me but just a couple of points.

I know you have already picked up the schedule bit already but would it be possible to say have half the guests start at the lower end of the ticket nos and half with the golds and silvers. I had a standard for this event (and a lowish no too) and we only got one photo on saturday and no autos at all so this meant we had to be running around all morning on sunday flitting from the other 3 photos we wanted back and forth to the auto halls. It does need to be a little fairer so everyone gets some each day otherwise the standards are hanging around with nothing to do on the saturday. We never got to see any of the guests who were there on saturday only at all. Not too worried this time but we should have had the opportunity and nobody came round with a final call for everyone that we heard either for these guests?

Also when in the auto q on sunday i was told by one lady she had already had her autos and was getting extra ones from John when there were still people who hadnt had any from him on the sunday morning. Now surely as with other cons you should be buying extra autos upon arrival or up to the time your autos are announced not got round once then potentially 3 or 4 more times, otherwise some people could potentially not get their autos at all plus it means the guests could be signing all day!

I'd be very interest to know which group you were in? As I did schedule it so that every group got 6 or 7 autographs on Saturday (I checked this many many times as I did the schedule), and I know every group was called on Saturday for the Saturday only guests (I know the higher groups were called on Saturday afternoon during the talks but that was unavoidable). Some of the guests did go slower than expected and so some groups only got to see 3 or 4 guests on Saturday, but with the way I did the schedule of groups there is no way you could have been called for no guests at all on Saturday. I did check the groups called so far on Saturday afternoon and there was definitely no group not called for any guest. I can only assume you missed being called or didn't see your groups had been called.

I'm sorry that someone had gone to get extra John autograph before other had got there free ones. This should not happen. I will make sure it's clear to the crew to check if people have had their free one before letting them into the queue when it's not an open queue.

Stuart.

Well this was my first ever Con and all-in-all I had an absolutely fantastic time, so THANK YOU! Will be buying for March as soon as pay day rolls around again...

The one thing that REALLY irritated me (and apologies if anyone else has already brought this up) was the programme. The content was fine, but please please please get the next one proof read! It was full of typos and punctuation errors, and sadly that sort of thing annoys me! I know that with all the other work that goes in to organising an event like this, the punctuation in the programme probably isn't high on your priority list - but this is something that many people will want to keep forever, so it would be nice if it was right.

Thanks,

moonlitcactus

The one thing that REALLY irritated me (and apologies if anyone else has already brought this up) was the programme. The content was fine, but please please please get the next one proof read! It was full of typos and punctuation errors, and sadly that sort of thing annoys me! I know that with all the other work that goes in to organising an event like this, the punctuation in the programme probably isn't high on your priority list - but this is something that many people will want to keep forever, so it would be nice if it was right.

I found that a bit annoying too. I work in a communications role and proof reading is part of my job, so if Showmasters would like someone to go through it prior to the event I'd happily offer my services (no charge obviously :D )

The other thing is a personal one, and will prolly sound old-fogeyish to most everyone else: ummmm, the sound levels at the dances. I don't know whether it was the speakers or just that the djs had the volume up to maximum, but it was so loud, we had to leave as it literally hurt my ears to stay in the room. It wasn't the choice of music, we all have different and varied tastes. It was just sooooo ear-piercingly loud. Is there anything that can be done to soften that? (And this is coming from someone who's spent years listening to rock n'roll at major levels, LOL.)

The trouble was from behind the speakers it sounded okay!! It was difficult to judge, somebody did ask me to try and make it less distorted which I tried and we did "fiddle" with the sound several times. Sorry if it didn't work!

The only thing I have to say about is the t-shirts, I put mine in the wash and the writting has faded :D, which kinda annoyed me, cause I really like the t-shirt, also the Torchwood T couldve been on the front, and not on the back as people with long hair like myself, people cant see what it says.

But thats the only thing that was wrong, other then that the other problems were sorted out and the weekend was awesome :).

I sent a long email on Monday to the 'info' email address. The email was headed Disability query/Thankyou/Thoughts/& Problems Re the Hub/

I wasn't expecting an instant reply, knowing how busy you all are, but I just want to make you aware that I sent it. (it was a mixture of general points - some of which I notice have already been made here, some not - and points more specific to me that were of a more personal nature not suitable for the forum) I have also thought of a few more things since then.

Thanks

• Showmasters Admin

I sent a long email on Monday to the 'info' email address. The email was headed Disability query/Thankyou/Thoughts/& Problems Re the Hub/

I wasn't expecting an instant reply, knowing how busy you all are, but I just want to make you aware that I sent it. (it was a mixture of general points - some of which I notice have already been made here, some not - and points more specific to me that were of a more personal nature not suitable for the forum) I have also thought of a few more things since then.

Thanks

Hopefully you were one of the disabled people that I talked to over the weekend, and any issues you had we sorted out? If you weren't, I apolagize, and please do in future come and see me and I will do my best to help you.

Thanks

Hopefully you were one of the disabled people that I talked to over the weekend, and any issues you had we sorted out? If you weren't, I apolagize, and please do in future come and see me and I will do my best to help you.

Yes I did talk to you, thanks. and overall I had a very good Con. One of the things I mentioned in the email wasn't really appropriate to raise at the convention, - I would probably have come accross as a bit pushy if I did- besides which the full impact of the weekend didn't really hit me until the end, If you or someone else reads the email you will understand. I can't really talk about it here. I do have some other very specific issues that I would like to raise though (that I didn't put in that mail). Is there somewhere that I should send those comments other than the 'info' address? Thanks

Next year we also plan to have an organizers panel at the end of the event so you can ask us questions at the event and we can learn what you liked and dislikes over the weekend

I'm really liking this idea, which (to the best of my knowledge) is unique amongst event organisers. Perhaps it might be worth going a step further and arranging an evening somewhere (Maybe MK, or perhaps in the bar at the hotel in Northampton) to get some feedback and maybe brainstorm a few ideas. You could maybe open it to attendees, dealers and maybe even invite someone from the hotel?

I realise you guys don't HAVE many free weekends (!!), but I for one would love to come along and pass on feedback (mostly positive).

You could change it to a 'Meet & Greet' rather than cocktail party. If it's not possible to supply a range of drinks then opening the bar would certainly be a good idea.

I'd be very interest to know which group you were in? As I did schedule it so that every group got 6 or 7 autographs on Saturday (I checked this many many times as I did the schedule), and I know every group was called on Saturday for the Saturday only guests (I know the higher groups were called on Saturday afternoon during the talks but that was unavoidable). Some of the guests did go slower than expected and so some groups only got to see 3 or 4 guests on Saturday, but with the way I did the schedule of groups there is no way you could have been called for no guests at all on Saturday. I did check the groups called so far on Saturday afternoon and there was definitely no group not called for any guest. I can only assume you missed being called or didn't see your groups had been called.

Personally I only got 1 auto on Saturday and I had a silver ticket. However I believe I had been called for 4 in total - I didn't get them as my teenage daughter decided to disappear on me and I had to go looking for her. Sorry - I know your question is not aimed at me, just pointing out that not all groups were called for 6/7 autos on Saturday.

The one thing that REALLY irritated me (and apologies if anyone else has already brought this up) was the programme. The content was fine, but please please please get the next one proof read! It was full of typos and punctuation errors, and sadly that sort of thing annoys me!

I gave up reading halfway down the 1st page due to the bad grammar. When something is professionally printed I would expect it to be free of these sorts of errors. I know the odd 1 or 2 errors slip through, but this was almost every sentence!

I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it! :(

I'm sorry that someone had gone to get extra John autograph before other had got there free ones. This should not happen. I will make sure it's clear to the crew to check if people have had their free one before letting them into the queue when it's not an open queue.

Stuart.

I was in group 15, i know we were last on the list for kai and gareth and sara, halfway down on sunday for naoko too so we got these on sunday, we were sitting in the bar area on sat and i was looking every 1/2 hour or so on this schedule (possible not updated)?i think about 5 mins before end of signings i think our ones for john had been called but as it was late we left these for first thing on sunday so ok. The others i dont remember seeing and i was checking and most our nos were in the shaded bits for sunday. nobody came out to tell us the signings were ending and i wasnt aware some guests were only there on saturday (i know this was probably my fault for not listening or something but no worries this time, was just having a fun time.)

I do think though for autos you should only go through once, if you want extra autos you get these before your group no is called otherwise this will be chaos however you do it, and the guests will never get finished.

i would like to say thanks though, my first massive events con althought i have been to a lot of others and i have to say it was really good fun, my friends and i had great fun especially at the parties, the added touches of bunting etc and changed every night were really nice and set the scene too. We have already booked for hub 2 and hallowhedon which i am sure will both be great fun.

Edited by buffy2k

I wanted to respond to what Too Tall said earlier, as someone who did book late (quite simply because I didn't know about it till collectormania) I thank you very much having the late numbers done on saturday for John as i have no doubt that we would have not have managed to get him otherwise, I had to come out of a talk to get it but it was worth it thanks for doing that... having said that I did mention this to Jason on sunday, I do feel that it is somewhat unfair that the people who book late do get penalised so much, I understand why you do it and everything and this time I have booked early (yay to ben for loaning me the money for gold) so I expect it not to be a problem, but as someone who has in the past been on both ends of it, it does seem a shame that you have to sit at the back of talks, be last in line for autos, etc, I just feel that a standard ticket should be a standard ticket regardless of whether you booked 5 months in advance or 5 days. As I say I understand why you do it but it is somewhat harsh on those that had to save up or just did not know about the event till late on.

Also one over thing I did mention to too tall on saturday, if you miss the opening ceremony you don't get all the announcements, (don't waste your time queuing etc) I think it would have been nice to repeat these early on the Saturday as I am sure I was not alone in missing them.

But I do hate to complain (really I do honest) so much and I don't want you to think I am being a pain (although I confess i am) but having worked in customer service for 10 years i know it's always better to speak out rather than keep quiet. I would really like to thank the guy (sorry the name has gone from my brain) who was doing Johns photo queue on saturday for letting us queue jump with my daughter as she did fall asleep 5 minutes after the picture. I love how you guys are always flexible and happy to help where possible and that is why I always come to your events!

And if this post got any longer it will give gareth a run for his money. So yes i just wanted to say thank you and please keep up the goodwork and stay flexible :firedevil: and bring on teh instalment plan for hub 3 :)

Edited by thewhiteladyofrohan

sorry to double post but just read through all the other posts and this one stood out to me

A minor thing, but it can't do any harm to ask, I hope...

Tall people have no idea how much short people miss. When people are standing, I reckon no one under about 5'2" can see much of what's going on at the front, no matter where you stand.

So if there's another sketch, like the splendid one we had the other night, can you ask people to sit? I know it'd mean sitting on the floor, but for those of us who are short or wheelchair-bound it'd be much nicer.

i was one of the ones standing on the dance floor waiting for it and some girls came and stood infront off us, they got very offended when i said very politely that everyone had been stanidng there for a reason and they could take one step sideways so they didn't block people, in the end they moved out of my way and stood infront of a lil girl, so myself and about 5 others that had been there first ducke din front and kneeled infront of the stage, I have to confess I hoped this might catch on but it seemed to just be us (and gareths lil friend) Maybe next time it will catch on.

also as someone who did attend 2 intimate encounters after loaning money i think the raffle idea is unfair on those that really want to see a particular guest it took us ages watching the bids to make sure we got in with naoko, i would have been very disappointed if they'd have raffeled tickets off for her and i missed out to someone that didn't want to see her, but at the same time i had to keep upping my bid when people could se mine and outbid it! personally i think a silent(blind) auction would be better suited to this, so otheres aren't always in the know of who is currently 12th!

Thanks

I just thought of something that probably makes much more sense than what I suggested at the end of the email I sent, and that is that all the people with disabilities (and their partners/carers) go into the hall first, before anyone else is allowed in (before the golds/silvers etc). I am NOT suggesting that everyone with a disability sits at the front, just that they be shown to the appropriate area relevant to their ticket number (so someone with a Gold number in the 80s would be shown to the third row of the Gold seating, someone with a standard in the 40s would be shown to the second row of the standard, etc). I know we shouldn't talk about other events, but the disabled were escorted into the hall first at a previous Torchwood convention we went to, and that worked well, at least for me. And I would certainly appreciate not having to worry about queueing. So that crew know who has a disability (its not always obvious!), maybe disabled and their partners can have something on their badge to indicate that?

Edited by mjocovers

also as someone who did attend 2 intimate encounters after loaning money i think the raffle idea is unfair on those that really want to see a particular guest it took us ages watching the bids to make sure we got in with naoko, i would have been very disappointed if they'd have raffeled tickets off for her and i missed out to someone that didn't want to see her, but at the same time i had to keep upping my bid when people could se mine and outbid it! personally i think a silent(blind) auction would be better suited to this, so otheres aren't always in the know of who is currently 12th!

At a previous TW convention we went to they raffled the tickets but the winners still had to pay a fixed price (I think it was 20 or 25 pounds). So basically you were entering a draw just for the opportunity to pay for an encounter.

Edited by mjocovers

At a previous TW convention we went to they raffled the tickets but the winners still had to pay a fixed price (I think it was 20 or 25 pounds). So basically you were entering a draw just for the opportunity to pay for an encounter.

You could always do it what we call in the States a Chinese Auction style. You only put in your ticket for the appropriate person's/persons' container/box/etc.

IMO I don't like intimate encounters. I find them exclusionary. Also I prefer a smaller intimate setting (maximum of 5 guests, 150 house attendance), than dividing into Gold/Standard/etc. I don't like it when everyone is not given the same opportunities.

Re the Party - I went to a private dinner with James Marsters & Gareth David-Lloyd in August and JMLive's system worked the best - You sat at a table of 11 (10 seats for attendees, 1 for the guest), and the guests rotated around while you kept your seat. You could take photos at this time of your table (or if in certain locations, you could snag pictures of 1 table over), but this system worked really well and eased up congestion issues.

Stephen