This one lacking stars

Morrison28

I think that attracting the general public is a minority market, and would bring in very little money. I agree with the last post - people aren't particularly likely to wait ages for an auto on a whim. Perhaps if they wanted someone with an open queue, but that comes back to "big names" again, as they rarely ever have open queues!

It's not just about bringing in the general public (though as a stall holder, that certainly helps), it's about fans deciding whether or not to attend the event. Yes, for some fans, there are many guests they want to meet, which is great... but the lack of a headline guest WILL put off others.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to Collectormania and LFCC whether or not there are any guests I want to meet. Sometimes I decide to meet someone on a whim, but even if I dont, I browse the stalls, meet up with my mates and have a good night out. And if there are guests I want to meet, even better, but its not a requirment for me to come. And it's the same for many of my friends.

I kind of agree with you Chris. But if I had the choice of an event with one big guest or an event with 10 smaller guests (who I wanted to see), I think that 9 times out of 10, I'd pick the one with 10 guests!

But 9 smaller guests and 1 big one would win, so I don't know what I've proved there?!?!?!?! :YAHOO:

as a fairly new attendee of Collectormania, I have to say that over the last few years I have met a number of guests at these events and like most people it does come down to what you like.

I have been to big cons in the past where you pay for a weekend pass and go along, but these have gotten more and more expensive, what with their being held in hotels at Heathrow and the hotels are usual 5* so cost of rooms and lack of eating facilities and also the cost I have getting to London anyway!

but I have to say that some of my biggest and autiographs I have gotten at Collectormania, Jonathan Frakes, Levar Burton, Brandon Routh, George Takei, Walter Koenig.....and i have been genuinely very excited to meet these people.

and while I admit the loss of Patrick Stewart and Micheal Rosebuman made me seriously doubt my attendance, I will still attend the event to show my support, I will be there on the sunday and I hope to get john Barrowmans autograph before the drive back to edinburgh.

I think the event its self is great and if only it were as big in Glasgow as it is in MK but hopefully the events there will get bigger and it may just save me 7 hours drive!

I look forward to seeing others that will attend, and if SM reads this can I get priority to see JB before i have to strat the long drive back! cheers. :YAHOO:

I will be there on the sunday and I hope to get john Barrowmans autograph before the drive back to edinburgh.

I admire you're dedication. :( If you wanna meet people that bad, you'll make the effort. I fly over myself from Dublin and then drive from Warwickshire.

I will be there on the sunday and I hope to get john Barrowmans autograph before the drive back to edinburgh.

I admire you're dedication. :blink: If you wanna meet people that bad, you'll make the effort. I fly over myself from Dublin and then drive from Warwickshire.

wow, all the way from ublin that's quite a feat! not sure I could do the flying and then driving!

but I would consier going anywhere as long as I wanted to meet the guests.

You're going to different cons to me then!!

I admire you're dedication. :P If you wanna meet people that bad, you'll make the effort. I fly over myself from Dublin and then drive from Warwickshire.

wow, all the way from ublin that's quite a feat! not sure I could do the flying and then driving!

but I would consier going anywhere as long as I wanted to meet the guests.

The more popular venue now is the Thistle at Heathrow. And it ain't 5*. In fact I would think it struggles to be 1* from my experience of it!!

Mate, shockingly enough, I believe it is (or at least was recently) classed as a 5 star hotel!! :smile:

The more popular venue now is the Thistle at Heathrow. And it ain't 5*. In fact I would think it struggles to be 1* from my experience of it!!

Mate, shockingly enough, I believe it is (or at least was recently) classed as a 5 star hotel!! :smile:

Have stayed at that hotel about 8 times,it is not 5*,about a 4* at best.

The only real 5* I have stayed at for a convention is The Radisson at Heathrow

Edited by teroknor34

Congrats nicky on getting the refs to Kermode. Heck, I think he's the ONLY one who rates Exorcist that much, and gets in refs in his reviews as oft as possible. I did look up IMDB to get the exact quote, but what with it still being Sunday, ya can't really take the p by comparing vinegar and holy water can ya.. :) I must admit I got the R1 DVD just before it got re-issued by the BBFC, and couldn't really see the scare factor. Great pre-CGI effects, such as the twisting head, floating body etc.. Not half as scary as the fanboys dribbling over Elijah & Co at that Collectormania.. Talk about nightmares!

Er, yes you can mention other cons on this board that are held in hotels. Lockdown, Eclipse etc are all cons held in hotels, if not Autographica. And all are done by SM, so OK to namecheck on here. In fact, if you *hush* click 'upcoming events' in the top of the window, theres a whole list of them.. Most of those listed events are hotel-based, only Collectormania in MK and Manchester formats are not hotel-based cons.

I'm not sure whether you're being obtuse or just don't know what we're talking about, gilgalad. Those aren't the events we're talking about. Nobody's ever said you can't talk about Showmasters here, because those aren't "other" organisers. It's the same one.

And I'll think you'll find Collectormania in Milton Keynes, Sportsmania, Collectormania Manchester, Collectormania Midlands, Collectormania Glasgow and London Film & Comic Con are not hotel based.

Edited by Psychosis

• Showmasters Admin

Mate, shockingly enough, I believe it is (or at least was recently) classed as a 5 star hotel!! :thumbup:

sorry to be 5* the hotel has to have a gym and a pool

jason :thumbup:

Mate, shockingly enough, I believe it is (or at least was recently) classed as a 5 star hotel!! :wub:

jason :P

Yeah and the Thistle used to get round that by having an arragement where the gusts could use the fitness centre (which has a pool) opposite the hotel (Yeah, I know that's cheating!) However, that centre has now either closed, or they've lost the use of it as they have dropped to 4 star (which is still a joke).

Congrats nicky on getting the refs to Kermode. Heck, I think he's the ONLY one who rates Exorcist that much, and gets in refs in his reviews as oft as possible.
The one thing I found surprising about him was that his favourite Paul Verhoeven film is Starship Troopers (1997), I thought most critics didnt like it, let alone it being their favourite Verhoeven film. "The Fear of God" was his Excorcist doc he did and I think he did "On the Edge of Blade Runner".

Mate, shockingly enough, I believe it is (or at least was recently) classed as a 5 star hotel!! :blink:

jason :WAVE:

Yeah and the Thistle used to get round that by having an arragement where the gusts could use the fitness centre (which has a pool) opposite the hotel (Yeah, I know that's cheating!) However, that centre has now either closed, or they've lost the use of it as they have dropped to 4 star (which is still a joke).

I prefer the Sheraton across the road...and it's actually cheaper than the Thistle and 50 times nicer

Psychosis, the message read, 'You can't talk about other cons on this board' which to a newbie could be construed as 'you can't talk about other cons on this board', rather than, 'you can't talk about non-showmasters cons on this board'.

Nicky, I believe, as I think he does too, that Kermode is the only critic that did a positive review for Basic Instinct 2. Well, him and the missus are the only critics that liked the flick. His love of Starship Troopers could be due to the depiction of fascist tendencies, as Verhoeven mentions only a few times a minute in his commentary. The shower scene with Dina Meyer couldn't possibly be a reason, and as for Doogie Howser as a brainiac...