Cosplay accessories/weapons question

sabzero

It looks like some people (me included) are doing at least one cosplay for Eclipse. I also saw someone saying they want to bring a sword like Hiro uses.

Now, the Godsend replicas are all sharp (last time I checked). I haven't heard anything about their quality yet, for example if they are just wallhangers (not safe for swinging).

My sword is an iaito, which means it's dull. It weighs a little under a kg, so in theory you could still crack someones skull open :D ,not that I would. :P

I was considering having the sheath signed by the Heroes stars (but then I'd need to bring varnish with me lol)

Then again, you could use your shoes as a weapon too, and they aren't forbidden :D

Edit to add: the UK has very strict laws about the posession of swords, apparently, so we all have to check that out, if we don't want our stuff confiscated at the airport.

So, official guidelines would be nice! :P

Edited by Sabine

It's a good question, I hope it's allowed in some way because it's always great to see people dressed up with swords and everything. If it weren't allowed at all though, how do dealers bring the swords to sell in the dealer room? I think the Kensei sword was sold at CM in Milton Keynes late last year, so surely it must be allowed (with some safety restrictions of course) for cosplay as well.

I definitely wouldn't try and bring a sword through a UK airport nowadays!

I certainly won't ever try to get any of my "props" through an airport!

I had to do it when I bought a light saber last summer at an event. But I won't do it again.

The good thing with Eclipse is that I come by train, so I will take it with me :D

trains are good for lightsabers, as we discovered last year, even better is buying from play.com and getting delivered to your door :D

Actually, the saber is the least likely to cause a problem! Things like the full-sized, full metal minigun are sure to cause excitement when they go through the luggage scanners!

My mum had trouble getting those large bars of chocolate through the airport into the states. Apparently it's got the same density as explosives when it's stacked 4 layers thick. (we were visiting old english friends with a hankering for real cadburys!)

Not that that has anything to do with swords...

i got my swords taken off me when i tried to get back from york last year ( i took them to get the handles re felted) the police took them off me in durham, they were in brown boxes and one of the boxes had split with the weight. i wasnt aloud to get them back till i had signed a load of paperwork at the station.

and its really stupid that even stage weapons need to be aproved for health and safty and a licence.

i saw some poeple getting warned by the police because they were dressed up as pirates the other night and they had 'swords that could be mistaken as a leathal wepon' i was in stitches as someof them were the yellow/blue/pink/orange ones that you win at the fair on hook a duck lol

come on its durham! imagine what the students would've done if they'd nicked them, or me TO said students

could've done with them in newcastle last night i saw the newcastle uni rowing team out drinking, no one would've noticed *whistles* its stan calvert next week or week after and i go to northumbria, we need to win again *hehe*

I suppose it depends what airport you are coming from.

I mean when we went to see family in Portugal going out of Heathrow deodorant in the suitcase was fine, but when coming back through the Portuguese airport they confiscated all our deodorants :D [mine was mostly brand new as well]. :drool:

The sale of single edged curved swords ban only comes into effect in April 2008. I'm playing close attention to this as I am a medieval reenactor and we only use real swords.

Because you are bringing the swords into the country I would recommend you contact whoever you are flying with to get details on swords being brought into the country - technically it is not Showmasters' responsibility. It you are that worried I would also recommending contacting the Heathrow police. But by and large, if you can prove that you're not here to go on a rampage with a sword then you're fine.

Same applies to airsofting weapons - they're fine, you necessarily have to check them in with the firearms section, but they must be in your luggage. Heaven help you if you walk onto the plane with a airsoft pistol in your hand luggage.

If you have anything like a blank firer or a decommissioned weapon - DON'T even think about flying in with it as they're more than likely to give you a hard time about this.

That should cover items being brought to the event.

If it's a live blade-because I know that's what people are angling for-the only time you'll be allowed to have it out is when you're getting it signed. Those weapons are designed for display purposes only - not costuming.

As for using 'live' blades in cosplay - I would not recommend doing that. I have been asked by Ladyd, who Showmasters has asked to coordinate cosplay events at the Collectormanias, to compile safety standards and to run weapon checks. Blades will only be allowed if made out of something like plastic, cardboard or wood. Anything will an edge (and I'm looking at all of the tv/film replica swords) should not be allowed to be used for cosplay. it's just too dangerous. If you can get a Kenshi replica sword made with a blunted edge, then that is something different. (The term blunted refers to an edge which has been filed down to 2mm thick.)

While I know there are fears of turning the UK into a Nanny State and not allowing anyone to have fun, I would assume that Showmasters would not try to do that but they would have to take into account the safety aspects.

I know a few people going who have stated they wouldn't feel safe going to an event where people are carrying dangerous weapons.

A fight nearly broke out at a rival event between two drunken guys with swords at a rival event they went to and they were worried something was going to happen.

If swords are to be there, I suggest Showmasters get some kind of extra security in place.

I'm not saying something will happen, but I think it's better safe than sorry when it comes to the odd idiot carrying a sword, as most people are fine, but you just never know.

Even though I spend a lot of time around "live" swords (in fact I'm off to fight practice in 20 min) I would never have a metal blade for a costume. Mostly because I know what happens when you drink and play around.

During the day when people want the Kenshi sword signed - that's fine. It's the party which bothers me - I hope that common sense prevails...or Showmasters gets people to send people back to their hotel room to get rid of the weapon(s)

That being said - just leaving a sword in the car unattended is illegal - I don't think anyone has picked up on that yet.

The col. has some good information. Well, if the rules for LFCC apply, anything metal or heavy isn't allowed anyway.

I have to say, live katanas scare the crap out of me, thats why I got an iaito in the first place.

It would be weird if the dealers room sold replicas.

One other alternative is a bokken, a wooden japanese training sword. Although I don't think I can get one in time now.

I'll just bring the sheath for signing then.