Cosplay accessories/weapons question

sabzero

• Showmasters Admin

The sale of single edged curved swords ban only comes into effect in April 2008. I'm playing close attention to this as I am a medieval reenactor and we only use real swords.

Because you are bringing the swords into the country I would recommend you contact whoever you are flying with to get details on swords being brought into the country - technically it is not Showmasters' responsibility. It you are that worried I would also recommending contacting the Heathrow police. But by and large, if you can prove that you're not here to go on a rampage with a sword then you're fine.

Same applies to airsofting weapons - they're fine, you necessarily have to check them in with the firearms section, but they must be in your luggage. Heaven help you if you walk onto the plane with a airsoft pistol in your hand luggage.

If you have anything like a blank firer or a decommissioned weapon - DON'T even think about flying in with it as they're more than likely to give you a hard time about this.

That should cover items being brought to the event.

If it's a live blade-because I know that's what people are angling for-the only time you'll be allowed to have it out is when you're getting it signed. Those weapons are designed for display purposes only - not costuming.

As for using 'live' blades in cosplay - I would not recommend doing that. I have been asked by Ladyd, who Showmasters has asked to coordinate cosplay events at the Collectormanias, to compile safety standards and to run weapon checks. Blades will only be allowed if made out of something like plastic, cardboard or wood. Anything will an edge (and I'm looking at all of the tv/film replica swords) should not be allowed to be used for cosplay. it's just too dangerous. If you can get a Kenshi replica sword made with a blunted edge, then that is something different. (The term blunted refers to an edge which has been filed down to 2mm thick.)

While I know there are fears of turning the UK into a Nanny State and not allowing anyone to have fun, I would assume that Showmasters would not try to do that but they would have to take into account the safety aspects.

Please take the above as our official word on the matter. Anyone bringing weapons, genuine or fake, to the show, is responsible for transporting them safely - if you can't do, you risk customs or other officials confiscating them before they get to the show. Live blades should only come out for signings, and will be checked by our security; the rest of the time they need to be safely secured in a room and preferably in a secure travel case of some sort. I'd advise that even cosplay / replicas be secured inside a travel case when not in use as part of a costume - we don't need an overanxious cleaner calling the police to the show because someone had a machine gun on their bed!

BUMP *

anyone know where i can get the cheap replicas of the kensei sword that were going for $59?

they seem to be discontinued on trueswords.com

Also please note that since the VCR Act came into force it is now illegal to import, manufacture or sell RIF's. Airsoft weapons basically. Unless you have an approved defence.

So for anyone coming into the UK and planing to bring one should check with HM Customs as unless you can convince them you are taking it home they may count that as importation and confiscate it and destroy it.

For flying within the UK with Airsoft weapons though you should be fine, I have done it many times, as long as its packed in your hold baggage and you advise them on check in that you have TOY guns in your bag and it needs to go through oversized Baggage. Sometimes the police will want to inspect them, other times not.

you can still bring the sheath to be signed - just don't pack too much on top of it ;)

planetbob99 Posted Today, 11:15 AM

Also please note that since the VCR Act came into force it is now illegal to import, manufacture or sell RIF's. Airsoft weapons basically. Unless you have an approved defence.

So for anyone coming into the UK and planing to bring one should check with HM Customs as unless you can convince them you are taking it home they may count that as importation and confiscate it and destroy it.

For flying within the UK with Airsoft weapons though you should be fine, I have done it many times, as long as its packed in your hold baggage and you advise them on check in that you have TOY guns in your bag and it needs to go through oversized Baggage. Sometimes the police will want to inspect them, other times not.

I serious doubt there will be many people attending who are registered with the UKARA, especially if they are flying in from outside the UK.

I serious doubt there will be many people attending who are registered with the UKARA, especially if they are flying in from outside the UK.

I agree with you on that, which was why I mentioned the VCR. I never saw a definitive answer for foreigners bringing their own into the county and taking out again.

I will be there, but not sure if I am bringing any toy's as don't think I can be bothered dressing up!

:unsure: