predicament

monkeyking

i just got a new job at argos in ancoats in manchester and i'm working weekends :YAHOO: . i was happy when i heard i got the job a day before my birthday but i just thought if i'm working weekends from now until christmas how will i get to the g-mex event i'm working on these days :eek:

i've wanted to go the next g-mex event since gmex2. i planned on going on both days

saturday- my mates

sunday- my family

i'd be so gutted if i miss this event now :thumbup:

can anybody tell me what i should do to not miss this event :huh:

(p.s. don't take the mick saying i was my fault i didn't think at first i'm in no mood for that)

I say the four options you have aren't that brilliant.

1) Pull a sicky and hope that no-one sees you. :D

2) Create some bull sh:t excuse that you can't make work that weekend and hope that so-one sees you. :clap:

3) Go to work and in your lunch and after work go to the event and experience about 30 seconds of it. ;)

4) Bite the bullet and miss it, there'll always be another event. ;)

Sorry there's no better advice dude, it's a hell of a predicament. That's why I never work anywhere anymore that involves me working over weekends.

Hope something happens that let's you make the event though.

Have you officially started your new job yet? You might be able to swing it as a pre-booked event, something that new employers are forced to honour if you let them know before you start your job.

First off - be honest with your employers. Tell them you had planned to go to this event and is there any way you could get some time off - even one of the days.

Is there a particular shift/time (apart from the time you want off!) that they find difficult to get staff to cover - how about offering to do that for them?

If it's a no go, then suck it up and go to work. Like a previous poster said, there will be other events and your job is much more important in the long run.

And congratulations, too - hope you enjoy the new job! :YAHOO:

I agree with the Sal. It is better to be honest and tell them you had planned to go, why not just go for one day, its better than nothing.

Try to swap your shift with someone or if thats proving hard try to arrange just to wok the morning and join us in the afternoon.

I started a new job 5 week ago and told them on my first day that I needed time off for Gmex. New employee's have to warrent pre-booked holidays :poki: Good Luck!

The law states that employers are only legally obliged to let you have pre-booked holiday if they are told before offering you the job. If they are told after offering you the job, then it is at their personal choice as to whether they let you have it off.

They are also not obliged to pay you as you would not have acrewed sufficient paid holiday time. This is relevant for all cases.

Having worked in HR myself, I can only suggest that you go to them and tell them that you have made plans to attend the event and would be grateful if they would let you have these days off. Offer to work the hours on another day. Argos are a 7 day a week business and will always need staff to work, so I cannot see them being a pain Monkey...

how about if i tell them i'm on holiday at that time and ask them if i can make up for the weekend by doing friday and thursday :YAHOO:

Monkey..be honest with them. Tell them that you had planned to go to the event some time ago - which is the truth I am taking it? - and ask if you can work different hours that week. An Argos shop isn't going to be overstaffed.

But remember that if you're honest and they say no, you can't pull a sicky.

Unless you have asthma :YAHOO: Then you fake it, go to the doctor, and get a sick note.

Your "sweet and innocent" reputation is going south Cheerleader Girl!! :YAHOO:

I faced the same dilemma last year and my employers wouldn't let me have the time off, even making me work a 10-hour shift on my birthday, grrrr! I had to miss the event. I quit that job not long after that and am now a lot happier. Fortunately one of the guests I most wanted to meet turned up at a subsequent Showmasters event elsewhere.

I faced the same dilemma last year and my employers wouldn't let me have the time off, even making me work a 10-hour shift on my birthday, grrrr! I had to miss the event. I quit that job not long after that and am now a lot happier. Fortunately one of the guests I most wanted to meet turned up at a subsequent Showmasters event elsewhere.

:WINCE::WINCE::WINCE: thats harsh