When is an Autograph, an Autograph?

riversidejon

Am i one of the very few who actually got her full signature then ^_^

Wow, guess I was the lucky one :thumbup:

nope i got one as well on my cast photo.

what about the people who had the sig as well as her character name on it...like a lot of other stars do...i saw Milo adding "Peter" on some of his photos!

it depends if i pay i hope for the full name or at least the same as everyone else is getting

If it's at a premiere they often just do initials and that's ok my liv tyler auto is just LT but it's her auto and free so i'm happy

If i pay £15-20 i'd be miffed to get just a first name when other's got her full name

Technically, an autograph is any example of somebody's handwriting, it comes from the latin "autographus" meaning written with one's own hand, so the first name signature is as much a valid autograph as the full signature, or indeed if she had just put an x.

And at least with Hayden's, you can tell it says Hayden!

With a lot of signatures you get no clue - for example, as lovely as my Adrian sig is, if it wasn't signed above his head, anybody who didn't know what it said would be hard pushed to figure it out!

n500077886_142152_6580.jpg

I've got a signed 4400 script where the actors all wrote their character names underneath. People I've showed have said to me "In case you don't know who they play?!" but in all honesty, since I wasn't there when it was signed, if they hadn't done that with the majority of them I'd never have known which sig belonged to who!

Edited by SerbianJanet

well as you saying is yes I agree they should least signed there full names but mind if they not they can least ask the person who paying for the autograph first which would be the correct thing to do mind

I was very lucky with milo becuase I went to meet him very early on in the day at around 10.45 to 11 am in the morning.

but as I was in line I was chatting to guy behind me a who was a dealer from stall buying an autograph and he meantions to me about milo just signin is first name and I never left like paying £20 got a autograph with four letter which is roughly costing £18 for the letters and £2 for the picture

which really works out to £4.50 a letter for is autograph which I thought nahh I be kind and then I went up to him I asked him kindly if he would't mind signing is full name and did say please aswell and is reply I got back was

" I will sign what I like thank you "

which I think was very unacceptable and was very bad mannered which I was not very pleased about and kinds upset me after I'vd just paided £20 for is autograph mind he did sign is full autograph for me still mind

but with gold pen not very clear to read is second name and also went off the page alittle tiny bit with the autograph which is been kind and fair to me then never really deserved what he said to me end of the day.

I was ok afterward mind becuase thank god hayden was more down to earth with me and put smile on my face becuase I got to chat to her for a second and she sweet young girl who could't remember how to spell bennet which I found funny for cute but she did sign her full name with claire below it which was great and dom was great with me aswell which I'm glad I come to the fair for at the end of the day :)

So I think it sometime not just how long the guess had been signing for it the guess themselfs sometimes.

Dear Fans, Autograph Traders and well everybody.

When I have had autographs in the past it has always been the full name of the star on the picture, which I have always considered as being an official "Autograph", for which I have paid £10-25 pounds for. I went and got an Autograph from Hayden :chair: , who just wrote I think "Hayden" on mine, and from this forum I have seen examples of her sig which have kisses and her full name on them. :chair:

When you look on autograph sites and some webpages, the stars autographs is always the full name, for that is their "Autograph" unique to them, a trade mark and recognised as being from them.

If I went to purchase someones Autograph, I would not buy one with just the first name or an abreviation of the name, for it would look to me as a bit dodgy. Granted if a picture of that autograph being signed, is presented with the Autograph then thats different, however, with "no photos" being allowed at the signings how could I prove that I did not just "fake it" and that it really did come from the star not me. At the moment I am keeping all my autos, but several years down the road I may want to sell them.

I went late in the day to Hayden around 4pm, and the signing was over quicker than I could blink and after reading other comments about Haydens queue and the others which stated that she was tired(understandably with the number of people), I do feel though, that no matter how tired the stars are, they have a job/responsability to the fans and should commit themselves like a marathon runner would, taking no shortcuts, especially when we are paying £20 for an "Autograph".

So to finally get to the point, the question I would like to have answered is, what constitues as being a ligitimate Autograph, does a part of an actors name count as being a ligitimate autograph, are there rules etc. :chair:

Discuss.....

Interesting one this. Would you really expect the actors or whoever to use the same signature that they use on official documents such as bank cards etc? With the ever increasing amount of forgers and identity theft I doubt this would be a wise move.

Also there are alot of people who only ever sign their first name (not just celebs) - Kylie for example and I believe Jennifer Love Hewitt just used to sign love hewitt!

I have autographs from the same person that aren't the same becuase it depends how busy they are or when you catch them - it doesn't mean I don't treat it like an autograph.

For me the personalisation is sometimes more important than the actual sig as it becomes personal to you then. Character names are helpful especially on posters but you can probably work most of them out anyway and the internet has lots of sig examples for comparrison.

I have a spurs signed poster that I get signed after matches and some of the sigs on there are virtually unreadable but I've managed to work out most of them (except one which has baffled me and people from the club itself - It may have been the kit boy or bus driver!!)

At the end of the day some people will be disappointed with what they get and sometimes £20 can seem like more when you don't receive what you expect.

Maybe get them to add the surname at the next event??!!

Technically, an autograph is any example of somebody's handwriting, it comes from the latin "autographus" meaning written with one's own hand, so the first name signature is as much a valid autograph as the full signature, or indeed if she had just put an x.

Yeah I've got the definition of signature as:

: the act of signing one's name to something b: the name of a person written with his or her own hand,

something (as a tune, style, or logo) that serves to set apart or identify; also : a characteristic mark

and an autograph as:

: something written or made with one's own hand: a: an original manuscript or work of art b: a person's handwritten signature.

So as long as it's something that the person in question writes regularly it qualifies.

well as you saying is yes I agree they should least signed there full names but mind if they not they can least ask the person who paying for the autograph first which would be the correct thing to do mind

I was very lucky with milo becuase I went to meet him very early on in the day at around 10.45 to 11 am in the morning.

but as I was in line I was chatting to guy behind me a who was a dealer from stall buying an autograph and he meantions to me about milo just signin is first name and I never left like paying £20 got a autograph with four letter which is roughly costing £18 for the letters and £2 for the picture

which really works out to £4.50 a letter for is autograph which I thought nahh I be kind and then I went up to him I asked him kindly if he would't mind signing is full name and did say please aswell and is reply I got back was

" I will sign what I like thank you "

which I think was very unacceptable and was very bad mannered which I was not very pleased about and kinds upset me after I'vd just paided £20 for is autograph mind he did sign is full autograph for me still mind

but with gold pen not very clear to read is second name and also went off the page alittle tiny bit with the autograph which is been kind and fair to me then never really deserved what he said to me end of the day.

I was ok afterward mind becuase thank god hayden was more down to earth with me and put smile on my face becuase I got to chat to her for a second and she sweet young girl who could't remember how to spell bennet which I found funny for cute but she did sign her full name with claire below it which was great and dom was great with me aswell which I'm glad I come to the fair for at the end of the day :)

So I think it sometime not just how long the guess had been signing for it the guess themselfs sometimes.

what you did and what alot of others do aswell...is you listen to what other people say and take that as gospel...by you asking Milo to sign is full name also comes across as rude...i never had that problem because i didn't listen to anyone else and i let him sign it the way he wanted to and as it happens i got the full name and he was very pleasant!

I remember wanting a particular person`s autograph. It wasnt at a con, and he is in the music business, but anyways, he was happily signing stuff for my family and friends as we were lucky enough to have a personal audience with him. I noticed that he didnt really write his last name, just the capital C and then a bit of a squiggle, which was perfectly fine. I had a secret ambition which was to have him sign my lower back,(so i could get it tattoed) and wasnt sure if he would do it..But he was a sweetheart, and not only agreed to it, but took a great deal of care and time signing his name. It was kinda crazy really, thinking of him signing my back and taking so much care, when i had previously only seen him amongst 12000 other screaming girls.

When i got home, and had it tattoed, i realised he had taken the trouble of writing his full name.Hah, of course had to look in the mirror and am the only person who has never actually seen it first hand.

I just thought it was sweet that he considered how it would look, and he also chose a really cool place to sign.

(as a footnote..six months to a year later, his very famous girlfriend announced she was getting his name tatt`d on her buttock, and i often wondered if he had told her about what he had done to me, and it gave her the idea?!

anyways they broke up not long after that, and i believe she had it removed, whereas i`m still cool with mine. :poki:

I remember wanting a particular person`s autograph. It wasnt at a con, and he is in the music business, but anyways, he was happily signing stuff for my family and friends as we were lucky enough to have a personal audience with him. I noticed that he didnt really write his last name, just the capital C and then a bit of a squiggle, which was perfectly fine. I had a secret ambition which was to have him sign my lower back,(so i could get it tattoed) and wasnt sure if he would do it..But he was a sweetheart, and not only agreed to it, but took a great deal of care and time signing his name. It was kinda crazy really, thinking of him signing my back and taking so much care, when i had previously only seen him amongst 12000 other screaming girls.

When i got home, and had it tattoed, i realised he had taken the trouble of writing his full name.Hah, of course had to look in the mirror and am the only person who has never actually seen it first hand.

I just thought it was sweet that he considered how it would look, and he also chose a really cool place to sign.

(as a footnote..six months to a year later, his very famous girlfriend announced she was getting his name tatt`d on her buttock, and i often wondered if he had told her about what he had done to me, and it gave her the idea?!

anyways they broke up not long after that, and i believe she had it removed, whereas i`m still cool with mine. :D

Mr C. Boyband... I need more clues! :P

anyways they broke up not long after that, and i believe she had it removed, whereas i`m still cool with mine. :D

haha, this could be fun... lol, well youre on the right track, far play to ya..hmm..lets see..

his ex(the one who copied my idea) is an ex..jailbird..there ya go that should keep you going for a while

haha, this could be fun... lol, well youre on the right track, far play to ya..hmm..lets see..

his ex(the one who copied my idea) is an ex..jailbird..there ya go that should keep you going for a while

Hmmm and does this person have many siblings???

Hee hee

anyways they broke up not long after that, and i believe she had it removed, whereas i`m still cool with mine. :P

Hmmm and does this person have many siblings???

Hee hee

ooh hmmm, erm... yes i think its fair to say he has his share of those.. :D

i think an autograph is whatever the star signs - for example Al Pacino does a circle with a dot in the middle - I still say I have Al Pacino's autograph. However the problem I have is when its inconsistent - i hate it when say at the Superman Returns premiere I got BR and all my friends got a full name. I don't mind Orlando's signature at all, its always the same except for very rare occasions. As long as its consistent, he always signs OB so thats just what his autograph is nowadays.

I would however be very cross if I just got Hayden and someone else in the queue got full name, it has to be completely consistent and what they normally sign for me to be happy to pay for it. (If Hayden always signed Hayden, then thats fine, but if she normally signs her full name then that should be what she signs at a convention!).

However it;s still an autograph no matter what it is as long as the star has done it, its just personal perference!

I wouldn't worry too much, celebrities autos do vary hugely, both depending on the event and also change during their career.

Generally you will get a better auto at an event like the LFCC, compared to say at a Premiere, because whilst the queue may be moving quick you are not getting jostled behind and the photo is on a table, plus they will generally use a suitable pen.