Any More Glasgow Guests To Be Announced

ross

i dont think we would get an a lister but maybe a better known smaller character ie. mark lutz(angel), mark metcalf(the master - buffy),Kali Rocha(halfrek - buffy) etc. someone people would know, this event might also have been better put at a different time of the year instead of before two of the busys shows,knowing that people would spend alot of money on their line up

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Glasgow aswell and don't think I would attend this event, like jenniea I have travelled to Milton Keynes to see some of the guests I like. Has anyone been to any the events a few years back in Glasgow? Amazing guests and lots of fans attending, these events were just as good as the events in England.

i dont think we would get an a lister but maybe a better known smaller character ie. mark lutz(angel), mark metcalf(the master - buffy),Kali Rocha(halfrek - buffy) etc. someone people would know, this event might also have been better put at a different time of the year instead of before two of the busys shows,knowing that people would spend alot of money on their line up

fantastic suggestions ... finger's crossed we get some of them :YAHOO:

Edited by lynn35

It is a small event as was the first collectormania, the more they do the bigger the guests they will get.

Comic con & Manchester you also have to pay to get into.

Im working the event but even if I wasnt I would be coming coz I wanna meet Mr McGann & Gareth :-) Both lovely guys

xx

Edited by kelle77

Well I live in Glasgow and while I am not that excited by the line up I will still go along. Firstly to meet friends that go, but also to see the dealers and support the show. As has been mentioned if SM see a decent return on the event they will possibly try and do a better one next year.

The other reason I have (as I just learned) is to laugh at scappy dressed up!! :thumbup:

I agree, they can't expect lots of people attending without more guests. When I first got an email about the event it stated that the event would be big, something like best show Scotland would've had, but there's more disappointed people with the guests than there is pleased. I think it was wrong making promises of a great event and then not really delivering.

15 months ago

As you have come to expect with our shows we will bring to Scotland some great guests. We’re having a long run into this event to ensure we will have time to arrange a great line-up. It will be the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, so we will ensure there will be good Star Wars people, and for the collectors we will bring new dealers, many different from the ones down South, which will ensure a much wider selection of merchandise for the serious collectors among us.

now - so where is the great line up????? only few good ones ! and compared to the first manchester one(also a paying event) they had around 30 guests, remmber this is the first one in a long time up here i think this event has been greatly underestimated.

Edited by killerinc

It has the potential to be a great event, but the first event was always going to be on a smaller scale than say the MK event.

As planetbob99 has realised if you turn up for this event, and the numbers are good, then any future event can only get bigger.

So, instead of bleating and harping on about it, attend the event and show your support, then ultimately we'll get the type of event we all want here in Scotland.

I know of the other event that used to be at the SECC, but it was poorly advertised, and run into the ground.

The event is good for collectors, but for people like myself who just wnat to meet some of the cast of their favourite tv shows/movies then this event isn't very good, and that's why i've decided not to go. Nobody I know are interested in these types of events either, so with the line up just now it would be almost impossible to get someone to pay in. I do hope the events continue in Scotland but until there are some good guests then I don't think they'll get the crowds they are looking for. There were events all over Glasgow - Quality Central Hotel, Normandy Hotel, QM Student Union .. surely someone who organises Showmasters events must've attended atleast a few of these and saw how many Scottish fans there are and there use to be loads of events but now there is virtually none so of course if guests who everyone liked turned up then I bet the show would do amazingly well. Previous events were advertised in newspapers like The Evening Times and online like bbc's website (because they were interested in the stars attending the events) I haven't saw collectormania Glasgow advertised anywhere except this site because alot of media won't be interested in advertising this event due to the lack of guests. I am glad Showmasters have put an event on in Glasgow and we may sound ungrateful but we have waited so long for an event and I personally feel let down.

Well I live in Glasgow and while I am not that excited by the line up I will still go along. Firstly to meet friends that go, but also to see the dealers and support the show. As has been mentioned if SM see a decent return on the event they will possibly try and do a better one next year.

The other reason I have (as I just learned) is to laugh at scappy dressed up!! :wub:

Oi! I just spotted that! :blush:

And it's "Scapey", thanks.

:P

I was up at the Braehead recently, I'd forgotten just how busy that place can be. In a way having it there vs secc, you might have more chance of getting some casual shoppers to decide to pay £5 to go in.

Even though I've seen most guests already I'll be there to support it as there is room for this event to grow in the future!

• Moderators

The moderators are here so that Showmasters don't have to reply to everything, as they're the ones busy sorting out the events. A lot of questions have been asked before, and can be answered by us.

Explanations for how Glasgow is being run have been given, and they're pretty spot on. You talk about other Glasgow events, yet there will be reasons for why there's even a space in the market for Showmasters to step in with an event of this kind. Why isn't it already taken over with popular events?

If people don't want to go then that's fair enough - noone is being forced to obviously! It's just we all want to see it become a success even if we're not going, and some local people are happy to go along and support it in the hope it'll encourage future growth.

And moderators/crew/etc spend money at the events too :YAHOO:

• Showmasters Admin

Ross Owen,

Please don't feel that we Mods are purely brushing you off. We're not.

All we are doing is explaining the reasons why SM are running a smaller event this time with the intention of growing the show over time. That may not be to your likely but you will only get the same response from SM themselves. I do talk to them (phone or e-mail) pretty much daily and the reasons above are the reasons for this being a smaller event to start with. SM want to start off small and grow the event as they did with Collectormania.

You may not agree with the way SM are doing it and as a paying customer you fell the event should be bigger and better. As I say we're not brushing that off, we do understand your frustration and yes it would be great if this show had 30+ guests and 10 of those were big names. But SM have made the decision that it is not financially viable for them to jump head first into what is for them a new area.

Yes other events have been run in the area, but there are reasons why they are "not" around now. SM are aware of these reasons and so are taking it slowly and building the event.

As David has said no one is forcing you to go, all we are saying is that if you do attend now it's more likely that the event will get bigger and better in the future.

As I say, sorry you don't agree with the way SM are running this event but this is how they have decided to take this event forward. It's up to you if you want to support it or not.

Edited by Too Tall

• Moderators

Thank you for your 'respectful' response. I much prefer your manner to the other guy.

Stuff like 'manner' and tone etc is down to how people read posts most of the time. If I was saying 'Ross, shut up, you're totally wrong!' then fine, but I'm definitely not, so please don't think I was being disrespectful at all :D

Collectormania 1 had a similar type guest list as this one & look how succesfull that is. I have never been to an event like this before & am really looking forward to being there, am only really interested in meeting 4 guests but planning on spending a lot of cash getting my stuff signed. Thank You Showmasters for putting on this event & I hope it grows & becomes a yearly event :D

I just think it was unfair to get our hopes up by the email 15months ago and then not deliver, hopefully the event does take off as there are lots of events in England and not much here.

Edited by ba5386

You may not agree with the way SM are doing it and as a paying customer you fell the event should be bigger and better. As I say we're not brushing that off, we do understand your frustration and yes it would be great if this show had 30+ guests and 10 of those were big names. But SM have made the decision that it is not financially viable for them to jump head first into what is for them a new area.

I can entirely appreciate what they're doing and probably why (I would imagine they may well be rather stretched fiscally and physically at the moment, for a start), but I can also fully understand the disappointment of our Scottish brethren. It's a classic tale of mismanagement of expectations. Let's ignore the comparisons with CM1 (which was a free show, and long ago), and look at the approximate chronology.

February 2006 saw the first Collectormania at Manchester, a new city for SM and an entry-fee show. According to the website (http://www.collectormaniagmex.co.uk/previousguests/previousguests.html) there were nearly 40 guests there. So when a couple of months later the Glasgow show is announced, with promises of great guests, great line-up, wider choice of merchandise etc, a lot of people no doubt figured that a repeat of Manchester 1 was on the cards. And let's face it, most people would presumably have figured Manchester 1 was some sort of success, what with having had Manchester 2 since, and Manchester 3 on the way. So between all the initial fanfare and the apparently marvellous happenings in Manchester, no doubt many north (and south) of the border thought they were in for the same sort of thing. And the sad fact is that nobody has really (until recently) tried to play that down. For over a year, based on the initial noise about Glasgow, and seeing what's happened in Manchester, people have been expecting the same sort of level of show, and nobody said anything to change the idea that this would be a big show. And as the realisation has slowly dawned on them that that is not going to happen as they thought, I think they're disappointed. And I for one can sympathise with them.

I agree with all tommyt has said and also SM must've knew months ago that this event wouldn't have been what we had all came to expect so I personally think they should have made an announcement when they knew because if you look through this forum everybody has been excited for months up to the lead up of this event and now are feeling disappointed. I think partly some of the reasons guests are cancelling are because they themselves don't expect a big turn out.

So long as the organisers themselves acknowledge that if they make the event smaller, it by definition cannot be as successful as larger events - And proceed with their stated plan of growing it gradually, I don't think there's a problem.

If, on the other hand, an event on a smaller scale with fewer guests is expected to do as well as one of it's larger counterparts in order to get the go-ahead for a second event... I wouldn't think of that as a fair way to go about things.

I guess we'll have to wait, see, and hope for the former!