convention virgin!

ltb

Hi

I'm making my convention debut at collectormania Milton Keynes on the Sunday. will prob be on my own as friends think i'm mad!!

Any tips for me from all you experts?? Reading this forum has scared me to death!! tee hee!!! figured i'll be trampled underfoot by people in the know!!!

I'm booked into James Marsters talk and photo shoot. What happens re the autograph bit?? talk of virtual queuing etc went over my head!!! Do i really need to be there at like, dawn???

All advice gratefully received!

Are you all nice people or cut throats who'll chew up poor little rookies like me?? tee hee.

It depends on what days you go on how early you need to be there...

If you are meeting James, Carisma or Brandon then the earlier the better.

The virtual ticket thing is quite straight forward...

when you get there go and find the people you want to meet and if there is a big queue already waiting there will be someone that works there at the end of the queue giving out tickets with numbers on.

That way you can go around the stalls and various other things there so you don't have to queue for hours, you can just come back when your number has passed and join the end of the queue.

Saturday has always been the busiest day everytime i have been... but apart from it being stupidly busy, eveyone seems very nice...

There are a lot of people that go dressed up as their fav characters and they are all friendly also... (the ones i spoke to)

I only went one year to meet Peter Mayhew and i have been hooked ever since...

Just enjoy the day and meet the people you want to... trust me... it will be a very expensive experience, but it is amazing. :D

I hope this helps... You never know, you might meet new friends there that don't think you are mad! LOL :P

Edited by Richie Rich

whe you get there go and find the people you wat to meet and if there is a big queue already waiting tere will be someone that works there at the end of the queue giving out tickets with numbers on.

That way you can go around the stalls and various other things there so you don't hve to queue for hours, you can just come back when your number has passed and join the end of the queue.

Saturday has always been the busiest day everytime i have been... but apart from it being stupidly busy, eveyone seems very nice...

There are a lot of people that go dressed up as their fav characters and they are all friendly also... (the ones i spoke to)

Just enjoy the day and meet the people you want to... trust me... it will be a very expensive experience, but it is amazing. :D

I hope this helps... You never know, you might meet new frinds there that don't think you are mad! LOL :P

I'm going on the sunday really mostly want to meet the delectable James marsters but will prob get carried away when i get there.!! Perhaps i'd better get a babysitter organised for my dog so I can stay all day!! Armed with credit card and cash!! thought i might try the party on the Sunday night for couple hours too!

whe you get there go and find the people you wat to meet and if there is a big queue already waiting tere will be someone that works there at the end of the queue giving out tickets with numbers on.

That way you can go around the stalls and various other things there so you don't hve to queue for hours, you can just come back when your number has passed and join the end of the queue.

Just enjoy the day and meet the people you want to... trust me... it will be a very expensive experience, but it is amazing. :P

I hope this helps... You never know, you might meet new frinds there that don't think you are mad! LOL :P

I'm going on the sunday really mostly want to meet the delectable James marsters but will prob get carried away when i get there.!! Perhaps i'd better get a babysitter organised for my dog so I can stay all day!! Armed with credit card and cash!! thought i might try the party on the Sunday night for couple hours too!

Excellent... sounds like you are going all in... :D fair play to ya.

Sunday is still busy but not as busy as Saturday... Friday will be the quietest day...

You will love it! :D Enjoy. :D

I would say dawn would be pushing it a bit on the Sunday!!! but I would have thought try and get there by 8am, 9am at the latest even though the centre doesn't officially open till 10am (Sunday trading laws and all that jazz) tis better to be there early, get a bit bored (take a book/music!!) perhaps than to have that extra half an hour in bed and miss out, no? :D you will probably find people queuing when you get there, a good way to make some new friends is to get chatting to them! we don't bite :P (I can't speak for everyone but we are mostly lovely, sane *cough* people :D)

if you need help during with the day, grab a crew member - normally seen in a bright coloured T with some sort of movie/tv show design or get yourself to the organiser's booth where lots of experts will be milling about offering help ad advice to all the newbies!

hope that helps!

don't forget to read Too Tall's FAQ at the top of the page (pinned section some where) and make sure you go post in the sectins for your fave tv shows and films on the board index :D *ahem*CSI*ahem* :P

surfy sah xx

The only thing I'd add is: bring cash for autographs as the queues for the cashpoints can get pretty big! Five pound notes are particularly appreciated as they are often in short supply. As surfy_sah says, read the FAQ for further information.

good call on the cash in hand plan nosfer2! I've known the cash points to run out of money before!! :P I kid you not, it was a bankholiday weekend that had plenty of guests and nice weather so families went to the mall and wallah, no cash left! and yes, as ToR says, £5 notes are in high demand so any time you can hand one over along with a tenner for a £15 auto rather than a twenty/two tens is greaty appreciated by us crew! :D

surfy sah xx

Any tips for me from all you experts?? Reading this forum has scared me to death!! tee hee!!! figured i'll be trampled underfoot by people in the know!!!

As the other have already said, almost all your questions are answered in the ever helpful FAQ here where I've pointed you already when you asked some days ago. :D

In general, there' no need to be afraid. The event will be quit crowded due to James Marsters being there, but in general the crowd members tend to be friendly. If you need help, just ask a crew member and he or she will point you in the right direction, or go to the Organisers Booth which will probably be near Costa Coffee again.

Thanks everyone for the above and the FAQ. My boyfriend and I are Collectormania Virgins so this being our first time all the advice given is really helping. Luckily I'm not a huge Buffy/Superman fan so I'm more interested in the DS9 and Aliens guests but even so, I think I might be sending my boyfriend off to do some VT queuing for me!

We're coming down for the Sat/Sun and the earliest we can get there is about 8.30am. Based off previous years - what's the queuing like about that time?

• Moderators

Thanks everyone for the above and the FAQ. My boyfriend and I are Collectormania Virgins so this being our first time all the advice given is really helping. Luckily I'm not a huge Buffy/Superman fan so I'm more interested in the DS9 and Aliens guests but even so, I think I might be sending my boyfriend off to do some VT queuing for me!

We're coming down for the Sat/Sun and the earliest we can get there is about 8.30am. Based off previous years - what's the queuing like about that time?

There are always a few nutty people that get there super-early for the bigger guests. Saturday is likely to be the busiest day, but Sunday probably will be too. It's as much about the casual shoppers as it is the actual fans who have turned up for the event though.

8:30 you'll be fine for DS9/Aliens guests - though do prioritise and get Avery Brooks and Michael Biehn tickets first, then whoever else. Of course, there's no harm in sending the boyfriend to get tickets for anyone else you might think you'll want to meet - you don't pay for the queue tickets, so that's ok if you don't use them.

There are always a few nutty people that get there super-early for the bigger guests. Saturday is likely to be the busiest day, but Sunday probably will be too. It's as much about the casual shoppers as it is the actual fans who have turned up for the event though.

8:30 you'll be fine for DS9/Aliens guests - though do prioritise and get Avery Brooks and Michael Biehn tickets first, then whoever else. Of course, there's no harm in sending the boyfriend to get tickets for anyone else you might think you'll want to meet - you don't pay for the queue tickets, so that's ok if you don't use them.

Thanks for the quick reply David,

I've already bought my Michael Biehn photoshoot ticket but like you've mentioned above - Avery Brooks and Michael Biehn are the priorities. If I only get to see those two guests I'll return home a happy girl... :poki:

The only thing I'd add is: bring cash for autographs as the queues for the cashpoints can get pretty big! Five pound notes are particularly appreciated as they are often in short supply. As surfy_sah says, read the FAQ for further information.

thanks for the tip re cash! Will go armed with fivers!!! Cheers for everyone's comments! think it'll be a mad day but great fun!!

I might have mentioned it earlier, but I too am a virgin in cons of this magnitude (I've been to some small Finnish ones, but those really don't count as anything)

Right about now I'm thanking my lucky stars that I decided on that Gold Pass back in November... I'm not much of a queuer, especially in the middle of the night.

*has taken all the advice given here and stored it into that almost empty thingy between her shoulders*

Remember (though it should say this in the FAQ section) its normally one VT ticket per person so if you were thinking of getting your boyfriend to get a ticket for himself and you, you might have to think again. Best if you go with him, that is if you both want to get in a particular queue to see a particular guest. But if he doesn't mind waiting for you while you go up to see a guest then by all means get him to get the VT tickets for you...

Only time I ever saw someone give out two tickets was when a lady was getting a ticket for herself and a friend who I could see, was unable to walk very well....

Remember (though it should say this in the FAQ section) its normally one VT ticket per person so if you were thinking of getting your boyfriend to get a ticket for himself and you, you might have to think again. Best if you go with him, that is if you both want to get in a particular queue to see a particular guest. But if he doesn't mind waiting for you while you go up to see a guest then by all means get him to get the VT tickets for you...

Only time I ever saw someone give out two tickets was when a lady was getting a ticket for herself and a friend who I could see, was unable to walk very well....

Thanks for the reminder Zebredy, I've just finished reading the FAQ about VT's so I guess the only now way is to clone myself... :headscratch:

• Showmasters Admin

It is in the FAQ, and you are correct. It is one ticket PER PERSON.