World Cup Germany 2006

A007

A little early i know, but im getting that world cup vibe. Who saw Peter Crouch doing the robot after he scored last night? The funniest thing ive seen for ages!!!

:clap: COME ON ENGLAND!!! :clap:

i know its un patrotic but im gunna pay for all my convention spending by betting against england! lol

i really think that against a decent time our team of big ego'ed individuals will fail.

but i do truley hope we do well!

anyone gunna have a 2nd and 3rd team after england?

Go Ghana !

Go Mexico !

• Moderators

We'll do well, I'm sure of it. We're more than capable, and we have some very good players.

The only problem I have with our team is the inability to keep up the pressure once they've gone ahead. They tend to sit back on the lead and start playing around, which leads to them getting caught out and inevitably losing that lead they worked hard to get in the first place.

Once they learn to keep the effort up, rather than just settling for a 1-0 lead or whatever, then they'll do a lot better I think. It's never even 'defending' the lead, their attitude just seems to go pretty poor like all the effort is done.

First England Game is Paraguay a week on saturday, kick off 2pm.

Im at work, damn it!!! :P

Think Peter Crouch is gonna take over the world and become the new David Beckham. His "robot" was on the evening news petes safe!!!

No pun intended.

This is England's best chance to win the World Cup since we actually did!!!

I remain unconvinced of this. Personally, I think Italia 90 was our best chance; we were a penalty shoot-out away from the final, where we would have faced a lousy Argentine team. England had grown in confidence, found a new and attractive way of playing, and were firing on all cylinders. Even with Gascoigne suspended for the final we'd have been a hell of a team to meet. By contracts, Argentina had managed to get through to the final with a nasty blend of foul play, outrageous diving and organised harassment of the referees. They only qualified from the initial group stages as one of the four best third place finishers; they scored very few goals, played for penalty shoot-outs and were basically footballing thugs. By the time they got to the final they had about half their players out through either suspension (they picked up 3 red cards and 22 yellows in their 7 games in the tournament), or injury, and I believe Maradona played the final whilst carrying an injury - after a dull time in the group stage he had played well in the knock-out games, but was dull and indeed even crap in the final. Argentina were lousy in the final and ended up with only 9 men on the pitch, having had two players sent off. But for a couple of dodgy penalties in that semi-final we'd have stuffed Argentina and bought the cup back home. (The only downside of which would have been that Ian Broudie would never have written "3 Lions on a shirt" six years later!)

As I said before, I think England has a decent team, however I also think that Brazil has a decent team, and Italy. If you look at the way Netherlands qualified it was so convincing, and what about Germany with the home crowd... Its tough to call. Id like to see us win, do I believe we will though?

A

Lol, well yuhuh, actually I was stood on the pitch at the Olympic Stadium, just hours before the Germany USA match and you won that didnt you... 4 -1 (cant remember too well, was back in March)

A

There are many teams capable of winning the World Cup this time round. It's more open than it was 4 years ago. Alot of very good teams could go out in either the group stage or the 2nd round, and that includes Brazil, Italy, Holland.

Had a dream last night that some team playing in red will win it. *goes looking up all teams in red and places bets* I know I'm welsh, but it would be nice if it's England playing in red in the final.

Lol, well yuhuh, actually I was stood on the pitch at the Olympic Stadium, just hours before the Germany USA match and you won that didnt you... 4 -1 (cant remember too well, was back in March)

A

That was the USA and that was three months ago.

We almost lost to Japan FCOL... :D

Anyway, I am seeing three, possibly even four games and I am really looking forward to that. :huh:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Cool, I would like to have come back over. I have decided that my second language will be German. I did GCSE German, and French, and self taught myself bits of Russian, started Spanish and Italian, because my uncle is Italian, but I find my self just speaking German sometimes, or midway through a conversation just using German words. So once my exams are over, I will start again with my language skills and focus on German. Had my exams not been at the same time as the world cup then I would probrabally have come over but hey these things happen.

Alex

I'm seeing

Australia vs. Japan on the 12th,

USA vs. Italy on the 17th,

Brazil vs. Australia on the 18th (if my boyfriend doesn't bail out on driving me)

and last but not least the final on July 9.

*ducks and runs before people start throwing objects*

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I love that stadium though.. Im not really a big footballing person, and tht was the first stadium ive been too other than old trafford at a distance and MK Hockey Stadium :P

But it was an amazing place.. esp being as it was built for a different purpose.. Tho I do like the sign in the showers (in the changing rooms) "PLEASE DO NOT USE SOAP IN THE WASH AREAS" :P

A

I love that stadium though.. Im not really a big footballing person, and tht was the first stadium ive been too other than old trafford at a distance and MK Hockey Stadium :huh:

But it was an amazing place.. esp being as it was built for a different purpose.. Tho I do like the sign in the showers (in the changing rooms) "PLEASE DO NOT USE SOAP IN THE WASH AREAS" :D

A

Yeah, Berlin has a nice stadium, I agree.

I am pretty curious about the Munich one for my part. Haven't been in the new arena yet.

I love that stadium though.. Im not really a big footballing person, and tht was the first stadium ive been too other than old trafford at a distance and MK Hockey Stadium :D

But it was an amazing place.. esp being as it was built for a different purpose.. Tho I do like the sign in the showers (in the changing rooms) "PLEASE DO NOT USE SOAP IN THE WASH AREAS" :chair:

A

Aesthetically Old Trafford is awful with stands having just been randomly added on. The Man City Stdium is sexy with all its curves. What was the other purpose of the stadium?

Aesthetically Old Trafford is awful with stands having just been randomly added on. The Man City Stdium is sexy with all its curves. What was the other purpose of the stadium?

The Berlin one?

That was built for the Olympic Games in 1936.

The Berlin one?

built in a short period of time and under budget..

So if you want a job doing.... hmm maybe not.. but think about Welmbly now, thats seriously over budget, sinking, and collapsing, well over due etc.. hmm

lol

A

The Berlin one?

built in a short period of time and under budget..

So if you want a job doing.... hmm maybe not.. but think about Welmbly now, thats seriously over budget, sinking, and collapsing, well over due etc.. hmm

lol

A

The Australians who are building it like it so much they are intentionally making it go under so it reaches them.