To all Scottish folk !

gebes

I'm sure that you are all as pleased about this as I am -- No long bus or train journeys for this event at least!!

So, let's demonstrate to Showmasters that having a regular Collectormania is a good thing and financially viable for Showmasters to come back to Glasgow!!

It's helped me achieve something else now LOL

1st topic post WHOOPEE!!

I'm there already, even though I've not been to LFaCC, C10, GMEX 2 and 3, C11, LFACC yet!!

Time to lay on guid Scots hospitality lol

Edited by gebes

I'll have moved to Nottingham by this point - moving from a town about 15 minutes away from the venue. :D

But I'll go home for the time that CM Glasgow is, might even be able to stay in my house and travel up each morning!

:huh: I have travelled to London for conventions more times than I can remember but I have never had a better time than the old Glasgow conventions that have sadly been missing for the last several years.

Glasgow is my home city but beyond that it is a cultural, shopping, clubbing, sci fi loving mecca!!!!!!

I can guarantee that no one will go home disappointed.:clap:

THIS CG1 IS GONNA BE SO COOL!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure that you are all as pleased about this as I am -- No long bus or train journeys for this event at least!!

So, let's demonstrate to Showmasters that having a regular Collectormania is a good thing and financially viable for Showmasters to come back to Glasgow!!

It's helped me achieve something else now LOL

1st topic post WHOOPEE!!

I'm there already, even though I've not been to LFaCC, C10, GMEX 2 and 3, C11, LFACC yet!!

Time to lay on guid Scots hospitality lol

Aye, it is that...

I'm from Glasgow, too. Mount Florida, 2 minutes walk from Hampden Park football stadium.

I live in Peterborough now but I will be going to the Glasgow Collectormania for sure. A welcome opportunity to load up on the macaroon bar, tottie scones, treacle scones, snowballs (the bakery ones with the white icing and coconut), rhubarb tart, lucky totties and other unforgettable gourmet Scottish treats. lol.

Pauline XX

Edited by orlandopassion

• 1 month later...

Hi Im from london and i went to a star trek convention in glasgow a good few years back now, but i must say it was a great weekend and all the locals and scifi fans from scotland were fantastic even though there were a few jibes about football... well it was during a world cup!

i would recommend to anyone not sure about going up north to go because you wont be dissapointed!!!!

cheers

Not too far to travel for me (from Fife) although I have crewed at a few events down south, I don't mind heading town so I can see my friends.

Edinburgh is closest to me but i'm biased as I lived there and its my fave City, ok so on par with NYC.

And hey at least our weather is improving :lol:

im travelling from south wales, but elfqueen1984 is being really kind and housing me for the event, even better i woudl have graduated from uni by then so dont have to worry about uni work hahahahah

(woohoo 100 posts go me hahahahah taken me long enough)

Edited by lil_aber_lisa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sadly the numerous fans I know from the Glasgow Star Trek convention era aren't going to attend this event. They feel that taking it out of Glasgow makes it NOT a Glasgow event. Renfreshire may not seem far to some people but to those unable to travel far to events it's just too far and they would have much preferred it to happen in Glasgow as first promised. Regardless of the discussions about it being in a G postcode it IS NOT happening in Glasgow therefore should not be called Collectormania Glasgow.

Edited by CaseyJ

Hi

I would disagree and am delighted it's called Collectormania Glasgow.

I live in South Lanarkshire which isn't quite Glasgow either but Glasgow is my home town and the event is in Braehead which is barely outwith the Glasgow boundary (it's closer to Glasgow town than other parts of Glasgow).

My concern (and this has been bothering me for a while) is whether or not the event is going to take place or not as there is little interest on here and only one guest but as Too Tall says - it's still some time away.

Let's not get into a conversation about whether or not Braehead is in Glasgow or not as this could deter others from coming along. I can't wait for the event and am really pleased something is happening nearer to home for me.

Let's just be delighted there's another event on the horizon, no matter where in the UK it takes place. Glasgow is a very friendly and lively city and I'd welcome anyone here.

Regards

Steve

then those people who are not prepared to travel will lose out.

If they want to get the chance to meet people they want to meet, they need to support this event from now.

The whole 'It's not in Glasgow' is a lame excuse, Who cares where it is being held? I mean how much would it cost to get to Braehead from Glasgow?

I do sympathise to an extent but it is (and will be) known as "Collectormania Glasgow" as its closest city is Glasgow.

I come from a relatively wee place called Cumbernauld but any time anyone, who isn't from Scotland, asks me where I'm from I say 'Glasgow', because chances are if I say 'Cumbernauld' they'll just say 'where?' at which point I'll have to say 'Glasgow' anyway. :WINCE:

Hope that all made sense! :D

It seems it's impossible for some people to realise that it's not about not wanting to travel to an event - it's about how moving out of Glasgow affects people who cannot for whatever reason travel from the city centre. I, for one, cannot now attend as I am a carer and I look after an invalid. People may say how about getting cover on the day - well, having been trying to get such cover since I heard this event was taking place and being told there is no cover available for 1 or 2 day respite and that if I want cover I will have to put my Mum in a home for a minimum of 2 weeks at a cost of almost £700 - I can't pay that so like I say I can now not attend this event. If it was at the SECC I could get back from there in an emergency in less that 10 minutes so I would have been able to go. Frankly I'm upset at the "I'm alright Jack" attitude I've seen on this forum. I hope everyone who attends enjoys the event - as I'm sure I would have. Hopefully should there be anyone signing there whose autograph I really want I will be able to find someone who will get it for me - what I will miss the most is that it would have been my first break from caring, even if it was only for a few hours, in 15 years. I'm sure that doesn't really mean anything to anyone else but to me it was something to look forward to and while it may not seem much to anyone not in my position it meant a lot to me.

For anyone outwith Glasgow considering coming to this event and following this topic, the location of the event really isn't far outwith Glasgow town centre (another stop on the train was quoted).

Please don't be put off - it really isn't far and I'm sure it will be a great event.

Steve

Edited by steevofromglasgow

It seems it's impossible for some people to realise that it's not about not wanting to travel to an event - it's about how moving out of Glasgow affects people who cannot for whatever reason travel from the city centre.

What about the poor folk from Braehead? :chair:

I'm from East Kilbride, and I still class myself, and this event, as being in Glasgow.

OK, the SECC would have been slightly more convenient - But Braehead's still good for me, and indeed from folk who are travelling from far further afield.

I think the only people moaning here are going to be those who were within walking distance of the SECC but are now going to have to do what the rest of us do to get to events anyway...

I apologise for assuming my post was both readable and understandable - from now on I'll remember to use words of one syllable

Ok Mr Sarcasmo! Your point was read, received and understood, it's just that your circumstances and opinion are not in the majority. I do sympathise more than you realise and while it may be a bummer for you that this event will not be held within 10 mins of your home it's remarkable that is being held within reasonable daily travelling distance for the entire central belt of Scotland.

As a seasoned Showmasters events traveller (IE I go to Milton Keynes, Manchester and London for their events) I'm certainly not going to complain about the NAME or exact location of an event which I can travel to from my own home in about half an hour.

I apologise for assuming my post was both readable and understandable - from now on I'll remember to use words of one syllable

I hope the people you help care for don't ever get the full force of your sarcastic wit aimed at them...

The point is, short of having a seperate event spaced every few miles up and down the country, it's always going to be inconvenient for someone.

The event being in Glasgow is inconvenient for someone from, say, Edinburgh, or Fife...

Moving it to Braehead is no more inconvenient.

You're one of those who would have been very lucky to have it on your doorstep.

Great! Good for you.

But it's not really on to play the guilt card against the organisers or those of us who are having to travel anyway.

The event moved, and it didn't move too far away.

We sympathise with you, but your attitude's not helping how you come across in the discussion.