To all Chelsea fans...

sweetj_nomad

.....WE BEAT YOU NERR NERR NERR NERR NERRRRRRRR! :poki:

Liverpool to the FA cup final, WOOHOO  :unsure:

962901[/snapback]

Just ask the hardcore Kop-ites whether they would rather win the Cup or the League and they will tell you it's the premiership that matters and the Cup is indeed worth FA. So we've still got one over you there.

Less parochially, I think a season where Chelsea and Man U each win a trophy, and potentially so do Liverpool and Arsenal (and West Ham get to enter the UEFA Cup next season if they reach the FA Cup final) is a good one for football. (I suspect however that Arsenal will get pasted by Barce, which I suppose will at least spare us the whines of Spurs fans about losing their Champions League spot...)

Im a man utd fan but my other half supports liverpool so were cheering them on today, was screaming at the tv in the last 10 minutes. Am really glad that Chelsea lost though, the look on Mourihnios (sp?) face was priceless, he refused to shake Benetiz's hand at the end.

One issue that I thought though and that was whoses clever idea was it to bring Cisse into the match? He was completely useless.

ah well. Just shows that when the big teams put their game faces on they can all give Chelsea a run for their money. And money they have lots of.

Personally i think next season Utd will show Chelsea how it's done.

.....WE BEAT YOU NERR NERR NERR NERR NERRRRRRRR! :P

Liverpool to the FA cup final, WOOHOO  :D

962901[/snapback]

Just ask the hardcore Kop-ites whether they would rather win the Cup or the League and they will tell you it's the premiership that matters and the Cup is indeed worth FA. So we've still got one over you there.

Less parochially, I think a season where Chelsea and Man U each win a trophy, and potentially so do Liverpool and Arsenal (and West Ham get to enter the UEFA Cup next season if they reach the FA Cup final) is a good one for football. (I suspect however that Arsenal will get pasted by Barce, which I suppose will at least spare us the whines of Spurs fans about losing their Champions League spot...)

962927[/snapback]

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!! i DONT EVEN SUPPORT LIVERPOOL BUT IT WAS GOOD TO SEE THEM BEAT CHELSEA. I JUST DONT LIKE TEAMS WHOS SUCCES IS BUILT ON UNLIMITED MONEY, PREFER IT THE WAY WENGER AND FERGUSON DID IT, WITH GRASS ROOTS KIDS ETC :yoda:

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!! i DONT EVEN SUPPORT LIVERPOOL BUT IT WAS GOOD TO SEE THEM BEAT CHELSEA. I JUST DONT LIKE TEAMS WHOS SUCCES IS BUILT ON UNLIMITED MONEY, PREFER IT THE WAY WENGER AND FERGUSON DID IT, WITH GRASS ROOTS KIDS ETC :yoda:

963226[/snapback]

No need to shout!

And please, for every Neville brother, Scholes, Hughes or Beckham that came through the academy, there have been several established stars that Fergie has bought in, like Schmeichel (and every goalkeeper since), Cantona, Rio Ferdinand (still the British transfer record), Van Nistelroy, Sheringham, Solskjær, Bruce, Ince etc. And whilst he may have bought Rooney and Ronaldo as "kids" they were hardly "grass roots", being recognised enough as so talented that they cost United nearly £40m between them.

Wenger has more of a record of getting in unproven youngsters (Henry, Vieira, and to a lesser extent Pires), and has cracker in Fabregas, but he has also benefitted from bringing in established talent like Sol Campbell, Ljungberg, Seaman, Lehmann, Reyes, Bergkamp, Overmars, Lauren, van Persie etc.

Nothing against either club buying in talent, just figured a few facts might not go amiss :dance:

ah well. Just shows that when the big teams put their game faces on they can all give Chelsea a run for their money. And money they have lots of.

963164[/snapback]

Nah, next year it'll be Liverpool showing up Chelsea.

Just hope the team doesn't sit back and assume that because we've beat Chelsea then the cups ours already. But even just to get to the final having beaten Man U (Best game Ive been to this season) and Chelsea is a big achievement.

All the lfc supporters I know would say the league is the most important (18 times :) ) But the FA's still important. Rafa got so much stick last year because some supporters thought he wasn't taking it seriously enough.

Liverpool got lucky yet again. Nothing wrong with the goal Chelsea scored. If you saw the highlights you could see that later on a Liverpool player did exactly the same thing to a chelsea player and was a penalty given? No.

Dont get me wrong, I hate Chelsea as much as the next person. I hate the fact more that Liverpool fans have to brag about everything. I live over the water from Liverpool so dont anybody say I haven't got a clue about what I'm saying. Theres a certain arrogance about Liverpool fans when they win a big game. Keep a bit of dignity, show a little modesty.

Edited by Sporty_Si

Blah Blah.

Chelsea fans these days got an answer for everything! Face it you lost. Except it.

Boy what would've it been like if they done the double. Wouldn't hear the end of it. You wanted that FA Cup aswell, and that's the end of that.

On the topic of Man United.

Schmeichel, Cantona, Solskjaer were nobodies before they came to United. Everybody that Chelsea signs is already a big name to some extent. Can't wait for the new ruling to come in a few seasons where so many players of got to be home players and come from youth set up. Chelsea only have one real good one in John Terry! Liverpool, Man United have quite a few.

963164[/snapback]

hear hear!

Blah Blah.

Chelsea fans these days got an answer for everything! Face it you lost. Except it.

As in "take exception to it"? (which I do) or "leave it aside"?

Sure, I'd rather we won than lost (and that high foot decision for the free kick that gave the first goal was laughable, especially as the Liverpool player had his boot just as high), but frankly it doesn't kill me that we lost. When you've been supporting Chelsea as long as I have you're used to disappointment and can live with it. Certainly don't see the need to gloat every time we win.

Schmeichel, Cantona, Solskjaer were nobodies before they came to United.

Rubbish.

Schmeichel was nearly 28 when he moved to Old Trafford. He'd been the Danish keeper for about 4 years, had played in a UEFA Cup semi-final, and won four Danish League championships. (And don't write that off as "well it's just the Danish League", since many of the players of that time were in the Danish squad that won the 1992 European championship).

Cantona had been a member of the French U21 team that won the European Championship in '88 and had moved on to the full French team. He'd also been transferred in France for the then French record. He was also a pretty key member of the Leeds team of 1991/92 that won the old First Divison (then the top league in the English game - and I think that that was the last season it was won by a club managed by an Englishman, Howard Wilkinson) and also beat Liverpool 4-3 in the Charity Shield, with that "nobody" Cantona scoring a hat-trick.

Solskjaer was a sensation in Norway; a goal-scoring machine that had attracted interest from a number of big clubs, he had played several times for Norway and was the current Norwegian Player of the Year when United bought him. (He was such a sensation in Norway that even my friends there who don't really follow football were telling me about this wonder player who was bound to come to England, a good six months before Fergie signed him).

Everybody that Chelsea signs is already a big name to some extent.

Any non-EU layer that anybody signs is a big name to some extent, given the governement regulations for issuing them a work pemit require them to have played in something like 75% of their home nation's international matches in the last year or two.

Can't wait for the new ruling to come in a few seasons where so many players of got to be home players and come from youth set up. Chelsea only have one real good one in John Terry! Liverpool, Man United have quite a few.

963374[/snapback]

It's a well-meaning regulation, but it's got more holes in than a Swiss cheese. And yes, the need to buy in players has been disappointing, but hopefully the likes of Carlton Cole and Anthony Grant and others will come through, and Chelsea's youth team have been performing well in the last season or two, so may well have more to offer in years to come.

The liverpool youth team just won the fa youth cup so the future's bright, the future's RED.

Plus im going to Cardiff to see them beat West Ham, crouchie hat trick :whistling:

p.s well done to gerrard for winning the PFA award, about friggin time

Theres a certain arrogance about Liverpool fans when they win a big game. Keep a bit of dignity, show a little modesty.

Surely if we were arrogant that would come out before we won with "we're gonna win everything" blah blah blah. Not after we've won. Thats celebrating. Look at the amount of people that came out for the victory parade when we won the European Cup. Not many teams would get that big a turn out.

What team do you support btw?

I saw a car sticker the other day. "European Cup Champions.... again" If thats not arrogant I dunno what is. I dont recall Man United fans being like that after winning the league 5 times and doing the treble.

Its like being 10 years old, you can win and be modest or you can win and go Ha Ha, we're so great, we're so good cos we won AGAIN. Thats what Liverpool fans seem to be like. Of course thats a generalisation.

I dunno why I care so much. I really dont give a crap about football!

My Hubby supports Liverpool, and I must say I'm getting into it a bit more( cos he's funny and entertaining to watch LOL)....

But Cisse was put on to run up fast to the goal from behind....( just that he was being very slack that particular match) Harry on the other hand played a blinder....

Edited by Mich

My other half supports Liverpool and all he sings about is the fact the won the european cup 5 times, he's not arrogant about it just proud (i think) btu cuz i support Utd he sings it to wind me up. But i think next year is Utds year.

Blah Blah.

As in "take exception to it"? (which I do) or "leave it aside"?

Sure, I'd rather we won than lost (and that high foot decision for the free kick that gave the first goal was laughable, especially as the Liverpool player had his boot just as high), but frankly it doesn't kill me that we lost. When you've been supporting Chelsea as long as I have you're used to disappointment and can live with it. Certainly don't see the need to gloat every time we win.

Schmeichel, Cantona, Solskjaer were nobodies before they came to United.

Rubbish.

Schmeichel was nearly 28 when he moved to Old Trafford. He'd been the Danish keeper for about 4 years, had played in a UEFA Cup semi-final, and won four Danish League championships. (And don't write that off as "well it's just the Danish League", since many of the players of that time were in the Danish squad that won the 1992 European championship).

Cantona had been a member of the French U21 team that won the European Championship in '88 and had moved on to the full French team. He'd also been transferred in France for the then French record. He was also a pretty key member of the Leeds team of 1991/92 that won the old First Divison (then the top league in the English game - and I think that that was the last season it was won by a club managed by an Englishman, Howard Wilkinson) and also beat Liverpool 4-3 in the Charity Shield, with that "nobody" Cantona scoring a hat-trick.

Solskjaer was a sensation in Norway; a goal-scoring machine that had attracted interest from a number of big clubs, he had played several times for Norway and was the current Norwegian Player of the Year when United bought him. (He was such a sensation in Norway that even my friends there who don't really follow football were telling me about this wonder player who was bound to come to England, a good six months before Fergie signed him).

Everybody that Chelsea signs is already a big name to some extent.

Any non-EU layer that anybody signs is a big name to some extent, given the governement regulations for issuing them a work pemit require them to have played in something like 75% of their home nation's international matches in the last year or two.

Can't wait for the new ruling to come in a few seasons where so many players of got to be home players and come from youth set up. Chelsea only have one real good one in John Terry! Liverpool, Man United have quite a few.

963374[/snapback]

It's a well-meaning regulation, but it's got more holes in than a Swiss cheese. And yes, the need to buy in players has been disappointing, but hopefully the likes of Carlton Cole and Anthony Grant and others will come through, and Chelsea's youth team have been performing well in the last season or two, so may well have more to offer in years to come.

963659[/snapback]

But my point was all Man utd and Arsenal success came from groomin home grown youngsters, which meant in the end from that success they were able to splash out some hard money on players. Whereas Chelsea just have some Russian bloke giving them money hand over fist they paid for there success they didnt have to nurture it :yoda:

But my point was all Man utd and Arsenal success came from groomin home grown youngsters,

which as I've pointed out is over-simplistic, if not plain wrong - their success has not "all" come from grooming homegrown players; it's been a mixture of homegrown polayers and bought-in talent, and as I've shown, probably more of the bought-in variety than the homegrown stuff.

which meant in the end from that success they were able to splash out some hard money on players.

Name the prolonged period where either team under Ferguson or Wenger was composed entirely or primarily of talent that the club had grown itself. There wasn't one. Your idea that they spent several years running entirely on homegrown which then generated enough money to actually buy some players from outside is just wrong. They've always bought in from outside. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Chelsea or Arsenal or any other English team to replicate the Celtic '67 European Cup triumph, and win the Cup with a team born entirely within 30 miles of their ground, but in these days of easy travel and post-Bosman rulings, it just ain't going to happen.

Whereas Chelsea just have some Russian bloke giving them money hand over fist they paid for there success they didnt have to nurture it

964213[/snapback]

Jealous? There's a touch of hypocrisy about so many of these other fans. If somebody came in and said to Wenger/Ferguson/Benitez etc, "here's £250million, go and buy some players", I'm sure all their fans would be saying "good lord, how terrible, we must put £225 million of this into our academy and just buy one or two players with the remaining £25 million". Like heck, they'd be screaming at their managers to go out and do a supermarket sweep!

But my point was all Man utd and Arsenal success came from groomin home grown youngsters,

which as I've pointed out is over-simplistic, if not plain wrong - their success has not "all" come from grooming homegrown players; it's been a mixture of homegrown polayers and bought-in talent, and as I've shown, probably more of the bought-in variety than the homegrown stuff.

which meant in the end from that success they were able to splash out some hard money on players.

Name the prolonged period where either team under Ferguson or Wenger was composed entirely or primarily of talent that the club had grown itself. There wasn't one. Your idea that they spent several years running entirely on homegrown which then generated enough money to actually buy some players from outside is just wrong. They've always bought in from outside. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Chelsea or Arsenal or any other English team to replicate the Celtic '67 European Cup triumph, and win the Cup with a team born entirely within 30 miles of their ground, but in these days of easy travel and post-Bosman rulings, it just ain't going to happen.

Whereas Chelsea just have some Russian bloke giving them money hand over fist they paid for there success they didnt have to nurture it

964213[/snapback]

Jealous? There's a touch of hypocrisy about so many of these other fans. If somebody came in and said to Wenger/Ferguson/Benitez etc, "here's £250million, go and buy some players", I'm sure all their fans would be saying "good lord, how terrible, we must put £225 million of this into our academy and just buy one or two players with the remaining £25 million". Like heck, they'd be screaming at their managers to go out and do a supermarket sweep!

964452[/snapback]

I think you're being a bit of a hypocrit here actually. You say about him being wrong about the homegrown players and claim that he is "just plain wrong" when he clearly isn't. There have been a good number of Utd players that have been brought into the game by them through their training academies. So actually, you're comments were "just plain wrong". I'm not saying the whole team is home grown but by saying that none of them are, well that's wrong.