Latest Guest Announcement: Millvina Dean

showmasters

Do you not think her stories will be interesting. There was two sides to the titanic, the rich people who had paid large amounts to be there, and the poor who were looking for a crossing, but their conditions were significantly worse. Where was Mrs. Dean was she on the rich part or the poorer part. What was her life like afterwards? Did her parents survive? How did she cope, did it give her trauma? Has it affected the rest of her life?

A

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not think her stories will be interesting. There was two sides to the titanic, the rich people who had paid large amounts to be there, and the poor who were looking for a crossing, but their conditions were significantly worse. Where was Mrs. Dean was she on the rich part or the poorer part. What was her life like afterwards? Did her parents survive? How did she cope, did it give her trauma? Has it affected the rest of her life?

A

949630[/snapback]

Still dont really understand this.....

"richer or poorer side, trauma, etc" - she isn't going to remember anything at all about the entire experience!

The only stories she'll have are ones she's gained by watching the extras on the Titanic DVD!

Grant it she was young and probably doesn't remember much. But she is still the only living survivor. Her story will be interesting, whether she was rich or poor, why was the family travelling to America? If she lost her family, what effect did this have on her in later life when she was ablke to understand what happened.

She is a part of history, as the only living survivour.

(apart from Titanic itself at the bottom of the Atlantic but even that is degrading now) :P

Edited by Marina

As being the self appointed "Titanic know it all" I have to agree that yes she was merely a baby at the time and he will have no memory at all of the fatefull night.

However, she was there in the flesh.

You could compare her to a living museum exhibit, as for "hearing her story" well don't hold your breath as she well may be clued up on various aspects of the ship but as for sitting in a lifeboat being cold is the bit she will not be able to recount.

As for the only Titanic survivor being at Autogrphica being "morbid" well like it or not our history is full of death and a lot of morbid stuff.

The rich/poor divide was a huge issue on April 14th 1912 and the subsequent inquiries even tried to gloss this over but that was what the times were like!

the only living survivour but even that is degrading now :lol:

949695[/snapback]

Yes, she is the only living survivor thus her "title" will wear off when she does die therefore the novelty of the guest will be dated.

Note that SM put up a pic of The Titanic itself rather than her on this thread...now ask yourself why.

Edited by nicky

Does anyone know the captains name? Anyone? Anyone?

Right, His name was captain Edward Smith and he drove the ship! (bear with me here) he was number one, now Millvina Dean was way down the list of names on the ship.

If we have a picture of some old lady grinning with "Millvina Dean" below it literally everyone will say "who?"

Now if it had a picture of a very, very old man (hypothetically of course) with a beard and below the picture it said "Edward Smith" how many more of you would say "who?"

As for the living exhibit part, well she may kick me in the nuts but she has to catch me first! :D

Millvina Dean "is" a Titanic survivor, she "was" on the Titanic as it was sinking. She "is" a part of history.

I watched a documentary recently on the Titanic called The Survivors story, and Millvina Dean was on it and she had a more interesting story than any of the other posh survivors that remembered being on a cold life boat! There is more to the Titanic story then just the sinking bit! The Titanic story has always fascinated me the sinking and non sinking part! Millvina told her story with a charm and has actually made me very interested in meeting her.

This event is about collecting Autographs rare and unusual ones in most cases, as I said Millvina is a part of history and getting her autograph is very collectable, this show isnt just about the movies you know :D

Nicky I think what you have said is not constructive at all and very rude, infact I think its disgusting that you would come on here and say what you have said about a lady of Millvina's age simply because you feel she hasnt acheived enough in her life! Unless you have something nice to say or something that is constructive then please keep your fingers quiet!

Davey :D

the only living survivour but even that is degrading now :D

949695[/snapback]

Yes, she is the only living survivor thus her "title" will wear off when she does die therefore the novelty of the guest will be dated.

Note that SM put up a pic of The Titanic itself rather than her on this thread...now ask yourself why.

949754[/snapback]

That's the most ridiculous thing I have read on this or any forum ! Including stuff I wrote myself !!

We all DIE Nicky ! therefore EVERY auto, or the fame of it's signer "will be dated". This is straighforward snobbery. You want people to look through your collection and ohh and ahh at the instantly recognisable. Nothing wrong with that !

But if you got your Ghost's of Mars DVD signed by JC himself, you would naturally treasure it because it means a lot to you - probably even more so when John pegs it !! Ms Dean is an important guest to some. She will always be the LAST Titanic survivor, even when she does pass away. Just because your mates won't be impressed by her autograph, or because you haven't seen her in any movies - doesn't make her a crap guest !!

Sitting between Elijah Wood and Carrie Fisher in Earl's court she would be a crap guest, but Autographica is a different style of event - and she WOULD be a great guest to actually chat to or listed to a talk by.

The Titanic disaster remainsone of the most culturally significant events of the 20th century. Are you seriously telling me that being a survivor of the event has not shaped her life in ANY way ??? Rubbish ! Her formative years will be awash with press involvement, insurance matters, her extended family recovering from their involvement in the sinking, and the loss of any other family members.

It's not like failing your driving test or moving house - this woman has lived her life as a survivor of the Titanic !! Personally, I'd love to have tea with her .....

Are you seriously telling me that being a survivor of the event has not shaped her life in ANY way ???

949776[/snapback]

No, I never said that... and as for all autos being dated (as in in out-of-date, not literally dated as in hand-written month/numerals) - I was thinking more about the title, "last survivor" (someone who is still alive)

But anyway I have been now been educated in in her value as a guest and was speaking out for others too (as you can see I wasn't the only one with these thoughts). Sorry, if you thought I was disgusting and OTT etc.

Edited by nicky

Some how can't see her signing last soul survivor?

I saw the documentary, was brilliant, Titanic has fascinated me also for years, actually donea reaserach project at college about it few years back and found out some fascinating things.

She is a fab guest, very unique, which fits in with Autographica.

Some how can't see her signing last soul survivor?

No Marina, that's not what I meant.

If you read my past couple of posts by "dated" I meant "out-of-date", NOT her actually writing the date next to her name (eg. VHS is becoming dated cos of DVD/Blu-Ray/HD).

Edited by nicky

For those of you who don't know much about Millvina a bit of background info:

Her Parents would have been classified, at the time, as second class citizens and they were travelling from the New Forest to Kansas where her Father was going to open a shop, I believe he was a tobacconist.

They actually booked on another ship to go to America but due to a coal strike, and the fact that it wasn't full for its maiden voyage, they switched onto Titanic and what happened next in that voyage is history.

There were three survivors in the Dean family, Millvina, her Mother and Brother Bertram, who incidently ended up in a different lifeboat and was not seen again by his Mother until they were rescued by the Carpathia.

After the disaster the Deans returned to the New Forest.

I have met Millvina on a number of occassions and she really is one of the most pleasant ladies that I have ever met and tries to never disappoint anyone.

I have seen her sitting at a table for a whole day signing autographs, and because she was popular and did not want to let anyone down she had a sandwich at the table and kept on signing.

Also, don't forget that Millvina has also lived through two World Wars in the Southampton area, which was hit pretty hard by the Luftwaffe.

For those of you who think that Millvina is a good guest, and I have to agree, then I would storngly recomend that you meet her, for those of you who don't think she is a good guest then my suggestion would be don't, but you are the ones that are passing up an opportunity to meet someone who will surprise you.

You decide, or like what happened to Millvina leave it to fate

Les

I met Milvina a few years ago at the Autographica show in Northampton and she was a very pleasant lady that everyone wanted to meet, inlcuding some of the other guests at the show.

Not only is Milvina the only living survivor left from what was one of the biggest events of the 20th Century, but I think I am right in saying she was also the youngest survivor of the disaster at the time, as she was only about 8 weeks old.

As people of said, she is not going to have her own memories of the actual time, but I am sure that her mother, who survived will have recounted her tale to Milvina and thats about as close as you would get to a first hand account of such a historical moment.

Autograph collecting is not all about film and TV stars and historical characters, or people touched by history are equally important to a lot of Autograph collectors.

Milvina as a passenger and survivor on the Titanic is certainly part of one of the most talked about events of all time.

Golden Green and Les (Lallen),

You have both summed it up perfectly.

There is nothing worse than someone who has no interest in Millvina/Titanic and immediately rubbish the guest announcement.

Now I hate the bloody Harry Potter kids, but you don't see me moaning....much! :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant that Millvina is a guest again. Real life history guests are excellent ones to get. Met her at other Autographicas and she's always great. The other guests always love to meet her too.

Just some extra info - according to the regularly updated Wikipedia, Millvina isn't the last living survivor, there are now 3 living survivors. As well as Millvina there are Lillian Gertrud Asplund (who lives in US) and Barbara Joyce West (who lives in UK).

But Millvina was the youngest person on board Titanic, so she'll always be that, and shes the only one who attends events now.

If you've not met her before I'd definitely recommend doing so.

The info on Wikipedia is at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliza_Gladys_Milvina_Dean

Info on all 3 on Encyclopedia Titanica -

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/655/

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/602/

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/772/

And lets get some more real life history guests -

Chuck Yeager

Paul W. Tibbets, Jr. (WW2)

Dambusters survivors, etc

Edited by Hans_Blaster

Just some extra info - according to the regularly updated Wikipedia, Millvina isn't the last living survivor, there are now 3 living survivors. As well as Millvina there are Lillian Gertrud Asplund (who lives in US) and Barbara Joyce West (who lives in UK).

Before anyone asks Barbara West does not have anything to do with Titanic, and never has, although I believe she keeops in contact with Millvina.

Don't know about Lillian Asplund though you have to remember that the Titanic sank 94 years ago last Saturday, 16th April, at 6:20 am GMT with the difference in time zones.

Rgd

Les

Before anyone asks Barbara West does not have anything to do with Titanic, and never has, although I believe she keeops in contact with Millvina.

Don't know about Lillian Asplund though you have to remember that the Titanic sank 94 years ago last Saturday, 16th April, at 6:20 am GMT with the difference in time zones.

Rgd

Les

960279[/snapback]

Yes, Millvina is the only one who does Titanic events.

Info on the other 2 from those links I posted above -

Barbara married William Ernest B. Dainton in 1952 and lives today in Truro, England. She is reportedly in good health and still does volunteer work in the area. Mrs Dainton refuses to discuss the disaster, saying she wants "nothing to do with the Titanic people", however does keep in contact with the British Titanic Society.

Lillian Gertrude Asplund is the last living survivor of the Titanic disaster with actual memories of it. She still resides in Massachusetts. Lillian's hobbies, when she was able, included gardening, flowers (especially roses) and it is said her favorite snack is pepperoni pizza. She lives in her home and is cared for by a home health aide. She refuses to discuss the disaster, as did her mother, and shuns any form of publicity.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. What an amazing guest.

I've been fascinated by TITANIC's brief 'life' and tragic end for as long as I can remember - thirty years, at least.

I read everything I can find on or offline about TITANIC and her sister ships OLYMPIC and BRITANNIC.

I say again, WOW.

Pauline X

Wow.  What an amazing guest.

I've been fascinated by TITANIC's brief 'life' and tragic end for as long as I can remember - thirty years, at least.

I read everything I can find on or offline about TITANIC and her sister ships OLYMPIC and BRITANNIC.

I say again, WOW.

Pauline X

970275[/snapback]

ok guest granted but not the only survivor still alive as claimed...

Rich, mate ! :WAVE: You need to let this go - you'll get an ulcer !!

So you found some website that said two other Titanic survivors were alive a year ago ??? There are two main niggles here :

1. A year is a looooooooooong time to any remaining titanic survivor :angel:

2. It may seem strange, but not everything on the internet is true, let alone accurate !!

I hazard an educated guess that SMs and Autographica have done their research here !! It is arguably possible that one or two other survivors may remain, but I think the main point is that they are not in plentiful supply. Even if they were, Milvenna is your only "meet" option.

You don't seem to have grasped that your argument is at best weak, at worst irrelevant !! If I was to get Milvenna Dean's autograph, it would be because she SURVIVED TITANIC !! I'm unlikely to say "Tut, she's not the only one, I won't bother". :WINCE: