Anybody going via train to GMEX?

BluebizzieB

Iam going from Bristol to Manchester (change at Birmingham) arriving at 10:02am HOWEVER the fair is £57 That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

It hardly cost me anything to get to Birmingham much less than the above price.

Does anybody know any good deals and any websites to get cheap tickets.

:headscratch::angry:

Edited by BluebizzieB

Iam going from Bristol to Manchester (change at Birmingham) arriving at 10:02am HOWEVER the fair is £57 That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

It hardly cost me anything to get to Birmingham much less than the above price.

Does anybody know any good deals and any websites to get cheap tickets. 

:headscratch::help:

909718[/snapback]

It may be that you've left it a bit late to get the cheapest tickets, but try this:

Go to www.thetrainline.co.uk

do a search for trains for Bristol to Manchester and back

when the times come up, click on the bit at the bottom about checking on availability and prices (you'll need to register to get this info, but it's pretty seamless)

yes the cheapest return that comes up is £57.40, but you'll also see a hyperlink (between the times and the prices) saying that for some journeys, two singles may be cheaper

click on this hyperlink

I'd done a search on going up Saturday morning and coming back Sunday evening. Lo and behold there are £12 singles on the 7:28 from Bristol (arrives 11:02) and £20 singles coming back on both the 17:24 and the 19:24 (getting back at 20:38 and 22:41 respectively).

Obviously I don't know when you actually want to travel, so these times/days may not be what you're looking for, but hopefully you can use the above info to find something convenient for yourself.

Given the cheapness of flights these days, you might even find you can fly cheaper from Bristol to Manchester... airsouthwest.com do singles from £19 (including taxes) - don't know what the prices are like on the days you might want to travel.

I have only found 1 possible solution: Travel to Manchester by AIR arriving at 9:30am, this is only £31 and is ONE WAY

GOING HOME: via Train at 16:54 (the only and last train home), costs £12

Coach travel time is 5 hours, getting into Manchester at 13:00 - tooo f***ing late

Coach travel home is 23:00 - again too f***ing late or middle of the afternoon which is not possible because i am busy getting autograps.

I can not stay anywhere because (1)Costs too much and i have a budget (2)I am working the day before (3)Relatives - can't gamble on this if they can let me stay over for 1 night, they might be away on vacation or something or busy with other plans.

Edited by BluebizzieB

Cardiff is being an awkward place to travel to/from :(

Going to manchester, friday at least, costs £10 for a single, but a return is £35, or a single coming back sunday cheapest is £20, so still makes it £30..

Ive tried all sorts of combinations with Crewe, Birmingham, Bristol etc but the final stretch back to cardiff always comes up with only that £20 single available (though virgin, otherwise a standard single is even more!)

you could always try getting the NATIONAL EXPRESS there's a £9 single offer on at the mo or £6 if you've a student NX card

alternatively you may wish to invest in a YOUNG PERSONS RAIL CARD at £20 for the year which will save you money on ALL rail journeys you make (and if you haven't got one already then you must be crazy :()

surfy sah xx

I found out that getting the coach will take 6 hours from Bristol, arriving at Manchester around 1pm which is tooooooooo late.

I have now booked my transport.

GOING TO MANCHESTER BY AIR: 08:30 am arriving at 09:30

COST £31

GOING HOME: Train from Piccadily at 4:54pm.

COST £12

TOTAL COST = £44 = BARGAIN

£44 is a bargin?! :blink:

if I was able to get a Fun Fare on the NX like some lucky people at £1 EACH WAY I'd think that was a bargin or the MB from £2.50 including booking fee RETURN I'd think that was a bargin but £44??? :blink:

at the mo it looks like I'm getting a single on the train for a tenner then having to NX is back for £6 true it takes 6hours to Cardiff cause the damn thing goes via B'ham and waits there over a hour grrr but the singles are £20 inbound otherwise so that's a £14 saving which will pay one night of my hotel bill :P

surfy sah xx

£44 is a bargin?!  :unsure:

if I was able to get a Fun Fare on the NX like some lucky people at £1 EACH WAY I'd think that was a bargin or the MB from £2.50 including booking fee RETURN I'd think that was a bargin but £44???  ;)

at the mo it looks like I'm getting a single on the train for a tenner then having to NX is back for £6 true it takes 6hours to Cardiff cause the damn thing goes via B'ham and waits there over a hour grrr but the singles are £20 inbound otherwise so that's a £14 saving which will pay one night of my hotel bill :(

surfy sah xx

910429[/snapback]

I'd happily pay most things to not have to sit on a coach for hours :(

You don't appreciate a 6 hour coach journey till you've been on a coach for 36 hours in one go, then 36 hours on the way back :P

910765[/snapback]

probably not! or if I ever MB it to you in Scotty-land for 12hours, urg! :rolleyes:

but we did go on a school trip to France when I was a wee year 6 lass and spent most of the week on a coach! I wouldn't mind if there was people/friends to talk to :P

surfy sah xx

I know how it feels for some people regarding train prices, I normally find them so expensive when I travel to MK....luckily we get enough warning about the dates of these events so it is a LOT easier to get cheap tickets.

However if you're like me and leave it till last minute then your best bet would be to get a young person/student railcard.....it is £20 but it saves you 1/3 on fares.

I'm liking GMEX though as it is only an hour to an hour and a half away by train *phew* :wub:

I need some help too :help:

I'm thinking of training it from London to Manchester. A return ticket is £57, however, singles start from £12.50. I've looked at the terms and conditions for the 'Value Advanced Single C, B and A' tickets, and can see no difference except for the price. So, does anyone know what the difference is from experience??

They just seem too cheap to be true, so is there another catch they only spring on you when on the train? :rolleyes:

I need some help too :help:

I'm thinking of training it from London to Manchester.  A return ticket is £57, however, singles start from £12.50.  So, does anyone know what the difference is from experience??

911513[/snapback]

As far as I know, there is no difference except that because you book so far in advanced, you get the better deal.

Obviously theres the usual restrictions on advanced booked tickets like you have to be on that exact train, in that exact seat, no change in travel etc but if you can book them like that, then do! You'll often find you pay, say in your case £12.50 for your ticket, but then the person next to you will have paid £57 and on the same train!

Virgin are best when it comes to cheap advanced tickets, back in Aug I went to glasgow, a return should have cost me over £100, but by booking singles I only paid £40, The whole coming back part, Glasgow to Cardiff, only cost me £13! And going I managed to get FIRST CLASS lol, So makes quite a saving!

• Moderators

The cheap ones are just as good as they seem, apart from the inflexibility of them ... you choose a time, a seat, and that's that ... no other option, you either get that train and sit in that seat, or you have to buy another ticket :)

The more expensive ones are best if you're not sure when to come back or if time management isn't one of your strong points :P

If anyone's trying to book a cheap Virgin train (I was looking for fares London/Manchester) the website wasn't being very helpful so I phoned and got £25 per person return tickets (using the £12.50 each way offer) but trains these are valid on are selling fast so book ASAP.

If you hate the automated service as much as I do, and want to speak to a human even if he is somewhere in India and you have to repeat everything you say two or three times, call the Virgin number 08457 222 333 BUT instead of speaking into the automated response thing, just press 0 half a dozen times in quick succession. This will get you through to an operator.

Apparently there are also some £20 return deals for groups of 4 people, though as there were only 3 of us we didn't get offered that.

Good luck!

- Diane

£44 is a bargin?!  :o

if I was able to get a Fun Fare on the NX like some lucky people at £1 EACH WAY I'd think that was a bargin or the MB from £2.50 including booking fee RETURN I'd think that was a bargin but £44???  :huh:

at the mo it looks like I'm getting a single on the train for a tenner then having to NX is back for £6 true it takes 6hours to Cardiff cause the damn thing goes via B'ham and waits there over a hour grrr but the singles are £20 inbound otherwise so that's a £14 saving which will pay one night of my hotel bill :D

surfy sah xx

910429[/snapback]

I'd happily pay most things to not have to sit on a coach for hours ;)

910560[/snapback]

As somebody with ludicrously long legs, amen to that; the average coach just about cripples me, unless I can sit diagonally across two seats and that's still bloody agony, especially for six hours.

Plus the £44 the guy is spending allows him to go up and back in a day, so saving a hotel bill.