Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire

Davey

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the swearing! It was very British as well, the whole of Hogwarts seemed to be turning into your average comprehensive school. Brought back some memories...

*remembers kid having chalk thrown at him for talking in maths class*

Andrea

898581[/snapback]

thats a point i have been trying to make. it really did feel like a real school this time. i think it had something to do with all the extras. the screen was full of them in so many shots. it was as if the number of students found outside the great hall suddenly multiplied.

then there was that bit with the potter stinks badges. school was so like that. it only took soemthing small and the whole school population coudl turn again someone. so petty it retrospect but thats what it was like.

=x=

Why the hell is David Tennant so gorgeous?

Anyway.......

I BLOODY LOVED THE FILM!!!

Twas brillig :wub:

There were moments when I did find Voldermort really scary but overall I don't think he scared me enough. The Death Eaters costumes scared me a little. I dunno why.

The acting was brilliant, the script was brilliant. I loved it all. My only critisms are the following: The world cup scene was too short, not enough quidditch for my liking. Also I found Dumbledore was a bit too hands on with Harry. The way I see Dumbledore is totally different from that and I did not feel it fit in with the character.

Yeah, that's my not-so-comprehensive review of Goblet of Fire.

An excellent film overall, probably the best so far and all the kids are really improving with each film.

A few minor grumbles, would have liked to have seen more of Rita Skeeter and the Quidditch World Cup, but hey something has to go, or the film would run for the best part of a day.

And one major gruble, Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, I just don't buy it, when he was angry with Harry it wasn't convinving at all, this is supposed to be the most powerful Wizard around, that even Voldemort fears / respects. Michael Gambon is a great actor, but for me he just doesn't seem to have got to grips with this role yet.

Perhaps Richard Harris, was more what I imagined really, but I am going to need a fair bit of convincing over the next few movies.

YEY! Finally got to see the movie last night and all I can say is.......WOW! The effects were just breathtaking and the graveyard scene certainly had me blubbering like a baby....especially when he saw his parents :(

I loved the fact that although this one is a really dark film they still managed to get some comedy in there which was just brill! The DADA lesson scene with Neville though was heartbreaking....first time I have felt REALLY sorry for him, seeing him like that was awful.

Have to admit though that the beginning was too rushed and I feel they could have made it a little longer and less confusing....one sec dream...portkey....world cup....it just kinda whizzed past and you were like ok that was quick!

Ralph Fiennes was excellent as Voldemort, the transformation was gross but it was well worth it. The thing that got me the most though was when Harry got himself and Cedric out of the maze and he was just crying over his body, that whole scene was really emotional and it was great just to see it being bought to life on the screen.

Will definately be seeing it again......10/10!!!!!! ^_^;)

(How cute is Cedric??? ;) hehe!)

Ralph Fiennes was excellent as Voldemort, the transformation was gross but it was well worth it. The thing that got me the most though was when Harry got himself and Cedric out of the maze and he was just crying over his body, that whole scene was really emotional and it was great just to see it being bought to life on the screen.

Will definately be seeing it again......10/10!!!!!!  :D  :D

(How cute is Cedric???  :wub:  hehe!)

900435[/snapback]

thats the bit that really got to me too. *sobs*

=x=

• Showmasters Admin
I knew it would happen though as that was the exact part I cried at when reading the book.

One question though.....I thought when Harry wrote to Sirius he had to put Snuffles or is that just in the 5th book?

900662[/snapback]

I'm trying to remember if Sirius told Harry to call him Snuffles in his letter at the end of PoA or if it didn't come up until the start of GoF. But it was defo within GoF.

i have a few best bits of my own u wanna hear them? tough coz ur gonna see em:

emma watson, i thought she done really well

emma watson, i think she looked really fit as usually,

and last but not least some of the other minor crew such as daniel radcliffe he done ok

PEACE OUT!

i have a few best bits of my own u wanna hear them? tough coz ur gonna see em:

emma watson, i thought she done really well

emma watson, i think she looked really fit as usually,

and last but not least some of the other minor crew such as daniel radcliffe he done ok

PEACE OUT!

901075[/snapback]

Dude, calm down.. Emma Watson was fine in this film as were Daniel and Rupert, but dont forget any other cast member (The crew are the people that film, tape wires, rig etc). I think that it was the best acting from any of them yet and for the new commers they did well. Also you shouldnt forget all the extra's yes you may evny them because they got to be on screen etc, but without them the film wouldnt have been what it was.

A

I'm trying to remember if Sirius told Harry to call him Snuffles in his letter at the end of PoA or if it didn't come up until the start of GoF. But it was defo within GoF.

900911[/snapback]

I thought so, I know he started doing it when owls were being intercepted, which they were after the Quidditch World Cup.... :D ....I'm being really picky now hehe! I just like films to try and stay as true to the book as possible and thats the one thing that stuck out to me the most.

Oh for crying out loud!

I've actually seen a number of 'kid' films that has a younger person saying 'p*ss off' in it!

Christina Ricci says something similar in Casper! I'm postive she says 'p*ss off' and that film was a PG!

It's alright to see a teenager murdered in cold blood, but oooohh no not so cool when a teenage boy says an extremely inoffensive swear word?  :D You weirdos!

898771[/snapback]

Your right she does and I'm sure there is another film as well, although the name of it escapes me now.

Anyways this is from the British Board of Film Classifications:

No-one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. No-one younger than 12 may rent or buy a ‘12’ rated video or DVD. Responsibility for allowing under-12s to view lies with the accompanying or supervising adult.

Theme

Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.

Language

The use of strong language (eg ‘f***’) must be infrequent. Racist abuse is also of particular concern.

Nudity

Nudity is allowed, but in a sexual context must be brief and discreet.

Sex

Sexual activity may be implied. Sex references may reflect what is likely to be familiar to most adolescents but should not go beyond what is suitable for them.

Violence

Violence must not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated.

Imitable techniques

Dangerous techniques (eg combat techniques, hanging, suicide and self-harming) should not dwell on imitable detail or appear pain or harm free. Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised.

Horror

Sustained moderate threat and menace are permitted. Occasional gory moments only.

Drugs

Any misuse of drugs must be infrequent and should not be glamorised or instructional.

In my opinion people were warned that there would be swearing and all the rest of it, so I don't quite get why people are so appalled by it. sorry but this issue is really bugging me. I think its a bit late in the day to be getting a little old fashioned. There is not one person I know that doesn't swear, swearing is almost as common as saying "and" along with "the".

If you don't like it, don't see it.

I went to see it again today actually for the second time and pissed myself laughing at the people in front of me jumping out of their skins at some scene towards the end. One guy jumped so much he actually managed to get his drink all over himself.

Just to add, me and Jez watched the ending of Chamber of Secrets that was on the telly tonight, and we have a theory........

but I'm not going to tell you here what it is. But oh boy roll on next book because we want to see if we are right now.

Just to add, me and Jez watched the ending of Chamber of Secrets that was on the telly tonight, and we have a theory........

but I'm not going to tell you here what it is.  But oh boy roll on next book because we want to see if we are right now.

901207[/snapback]

Aaaargh, I want to know what you're thinking!!!! :angry::o:uhoh:

I love the lines

Lucius: "Lets put it this way, if it rains, you'll be the first to know"

and that line by Ron that was something like: "i told you that dean had told lavender to tell seamus to tell me that hagrid was looking for you, but really, Dean didnt say anything so it was all me. I thought it was pretty obvious once you worked that out" (im not sure what it is exactly)

And the ferret down the trouesers thing was Hillarious!! Lmao!!

It was so sad Cedric dying... ^_^

The thing that really ticked me off was that alot of things wernt true to the books but, oh well. Still a fab film :wub:

the ferret scene was sooo funny!!

i'm so glad that they put that scene in, same with the twins growing beards 2 great comic scenes!

901565[/snapback]

Ah that made me crack up too. They had to leave the ferret thing in cos it wouldn't be the same without it.

I think one of the main things that bugs me that they left out was the scene where Dudley swallowed the toffee. I would have loved to have seen that. Plus I am mourning the loss of Molly from the film.

the ferret scene was sooo funny!!

i'm so glad that they put that scene in, same with the twins growing beards 2 great comic scenes!

901565[/snapback]

Ah that made me crack up too. They had to leave the ferret thing in cos it wouldn't be the same without it.

I think one of the main things that bugs me that they left out was the scene where Dudley swallowed the toffee. I would have loved to have seen that. Plus I am mourning the loss of Molly from the film.

902280[/snapback]

yeah the ton-tongue toffee would have been a funny scene!! n i wanted molly in the film to i cant believe they completely left her out!!

Well, Molly has a much larger role to play in OotP :). I don't see how they can leave out the Dudley/dementors scene since that gets Harry into trouble with the Ministry, and then it would have to shift to Sirius' house for continuity, since his dealings with the Ministry all happened before he went back to school. They'd have to do some SERIOUS rearranging of the events in the story to leave Sirius' house out of it, and Molly was an important presence there, sort of an unofficial hostess for the Order keeping things running smoothly.

I loved GoF! :) The only thing that bothers me was somthing that also happened in the book, so it was supposed to be there as a comedy measure. But what it is... with an entire school full of wizards and witches studying transfiguration under a genius like Professor McGonigall, why didn't someone just transform Ron's formal robes? :D:D;) Seems to me it would be easier than transforming a porcupine into a pincushion, which was done in one of the classes in the book, if I'm recalling correctly.

Well, Molly has a much larger role to play in OotP :).  I don't see how they can leave out the Dudley/dementors scene since that gets Harry into trouble with the Ministry, and then it would have to shift to Sirius' house for continuity, since his dealings with the Ministry all happened before he went back to school.  They'd have to do some SERIOUS rearranging of the events in the story to leave Sirius' house out of it, and Molly was an important presence there, sort of an unofficial hostess for the Order keeping things running smoothly.

I loved GoF! :)  The only thing that bothers me was somthing that also happened in the book, so it was supposed to be there as a comedy measure.  But what it is... with an entire school full of wizards and witches studying transfiguration under a genius like Professor McGonigall, why didn't someone just transform Ron's formal robes?  :help:  :unsure:  :blink: Seems to me it would be easier than transforming a porcupine into a pincushion, which was done in one of the classes in the book, if I'm recalling correctly.

902760[/snapback]

I did wonder the same...but then I thought that perhaps it was simply a custom/tradition to wear ancestor's robes and it would've been an insult to change them!

Maybe? :help::P

• Showmasters Admin
I loved GoF! :)  The only thing that bothers me was somthing that also happened in the book, so it was supposed to be there as a comedy measure.  But what it is... with an entire school full of wizards and witches studying transfiguration under a genius like Professor McGonigall, why didn't someone just transform Ron's formal robes?  :blink:  :blink:  :huh: Seems to me it would be easier than transforming a porcupine into a pincushion, which was done in one of the classes in the book, if I'm recalling correctly.

902760[/snapback]

I did wonder the same...but then I thought that perhaps it was simply a custom/tradition to wear ancestor's robes and it would've been an insult to change them!

Maybe? :blush::(

902933[/snapback]

Yep same here. I wondered that too. But I guess as you say, it was there for comic effect.

If we wanted to get technical why has no one ever sorted out Harrys eyes so he don't have to wear his glasses any more.

But if you look too closely there are quite a few holes in the whole magic thing. Like creating money. Why do they bother with money in a world were in theory you can tranform a bottle top into a Gallion?

Oh for crying out loud!

I've actually seen a number of 'kid' films that has a younger person saying 'p*ss off' in it!

Christina Ricci says something similar in Casper! I'm postive she says 'p*ss off' and that film was a PG!

It's alright to see a teenager murdered in cold blood, but oooohh no not so cool when a teenage boy says an extremely inoffensive swear word?  :rolleyes: You weirdos!

898771[/snapback]

Your right she does and I'm sure there is another film as well, although the name of it escapes me now.

Anyways this is from the British Board of Film Classifications:

No-one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. No-one younger than 12 may rent or buy a ‘12’ rated video or DVD. Responsibility for allowing under-12s to view lies with the accompanying or supervising adult.

Theme

Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.

Language

The use of strong language (eg ‘f***’) must be infrequent. Racist abuse is also of particular concern.

Nudity

Nudity is allowed, but in a sexual context must be brief and discreet.

Sex

Sexual activity may be implied. Sex references may reflect what is likely to be familiar to most adolescents but should not go beyond what is suitable for them.

Violence

Violence must not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated.

Imitable techniques

Dangerous techniques (eg combat techniques, hanging, suicide and self-harming) should not dwell on imitable detail or appear pain or harm free. Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised.

Horror

Sustained moderate threat and menace are permitted. Occasional gory moments only.

Drugs

Any misuse of drugs must be infrequent and should not be glamorised or instructional.

In my opinion people were warned that there would be swearing and all the rest of it, so I don't quite get why people are so appalled by it. sorry but this issue is really bugging me. I think its a bit late in the day to be getting a little old fashioned. There is not one person I know that doesn't swear, swearing is almost as common as saying "and" along with "the".

If you don't like it, don't see it.

I went to see it again today actually for the second time and pissed myself laughing at the people in front of me jumping out of their skins at some scene towards the end. One guy jumped so much he actually managed to get his drink all over himself.

but I'm not going to tell you here what it is. But oh boy roll on next book because we want to see if we are right now.

901207[/snapback]

oh!!! come on! do tell! i love a good theory!

=x=

I must say until GoF I thought Gambon was ok. Now I think he's awful as Dumbledore. He is too hands on with Harry. Dumbledore doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would grab hold of Harry (after Harry is announced as another champion). It just felt wrong to me.