A question for Manchester folk

red8886

I am having difficulty with transport to Manchester

1) Airport from Bristol - no return flights

2) Coach arrives at 13:35 - too late

3) TRAIN - arrives at Manchester at 10:30am - this could be a possability

Can anybody tell me where i have to go from the train station such as what buses i need to get and how far to go because i have never been to Manchester on my own before so this is new to me.

Thanks

Edited by BluebizzieB

I am having difficulty with transport to Manchester

1) Airport from Bristol - no return flights

2) Coach arrives at 13:35 - too late

3) TRAIN - arrives at Manchester at 10:30am - this could be a possability

Can anybody tell me where i have to go from the train station such as what buses i need to get and how far to go because i have never been to Manchester on my own before so this is new to me.

Thanks

848718[/snapback]

From Manchester Piccadilly train station you can catch a tram. they leave every 6-15 mins and you want to catch the one to Altrincham. It will be a 5- 10min journey and you will disembark at G-Mex tram station. Alternativel you can walk from MPTS (20 mins) or you can get a train from MPTS to deansgate from platform 13 and then have a 5 min walk at the other end.

I recommend you look at the GMPTE website which should have route maps for all trains, trams and buses. www.gmpte.com

Manchester is a very accessible place, I don't know Manchester 100% but i do come from Cheshire and surrounding area.

A few tips would be:

Don't stay in the piccadilly Jarvis hotel - Whatever you do!! its a dive and although it is undergoing or going to be refurbished its a horrible hotel thats from personal experience!

Gmex is if i remember correctly not smack bang in the centre but its not too far, theres so many ways to get around! Be careful if you are going to walk around alone, stick to main streets it can be a little dodgy as can most cities if you dont know them well.

I am looking forward to the event so much, fortunately for me i dont need to worry about hotels!!

cant wait to see you all.

Veasse xx

How far is the airport form Gmex.

Me and Karistiona are going to stay at TI Gmex cause its close.

The only bitch is that when we check on Sun morning (we're flying back to Glasgow Sun night) we'll have to take allout bags to the con with us and i don't know the meaning of packing light.

Does anyone know if Gmex has lockers?

• Showmasters Admin
How far is the airport form Gmex.

Me and Karistiona are going to stay at TI Gmex cause its close.

The only bitch is that when we check on Sun morning (we're flying back to Glasgow Sun night) we'll have to take allout bags to the con with us and i don't know the meaning of packing light.

Does anyone know if Gmex has lockers?

849053[/snapback]

For airport info look here http://www.g-mex.co.uk/html/locationair.htm

It's about 7 miles away. And takes 15 mins on the train to Picadilly.

I can't see anything about lockers on the website www.g-mex.co.uk you maybe able to leave your bags at the TI. Most hotels have a room for you to leave luggage on your last day.

cool That was a problem for us at Milton Keynes the hotel wouldn't keep our luggage.

Yeah we'll probably just get taxi cause we're flying in quite late on Friday night.

Its total crap thought the retutrn flights are like £85 from Glasgow thats more than the hotel is going to be.

I recommend any hotels that are near the train station.  The ibis is good as is the Travel inn.  If you do stay in Machester stay off Portland street Sat nite.  It can be a Chav war zone.  I used to live in Manchester so feel free to ask me any questions.

849203[/snapback]

Okay - question. :wub:

Translate Chav war zone into a format that a stupid German can understand. ^_^

I recommend any hotels that are near the train station.  The ibis is good as is the Travel inn.  If you do stay in Machester stay off Portland street Sat nite.  It can be a Chav war zone.  I used to live in Manchester so feel free to ask me any questions.

849203[/snapback]

Okay - question. :blush:

Translate Chav war zone into a format that a stupid German can understand. :blush:

849240[/snapback]

You know all those irritating Brits who go to the med for their holidays wearing bad fitting clothes and burn themselves so they are red raw. Smoke 40 cigarettes aday with one permanently drooping out of their mouth, loads of big jewellry, girls with their hair scraped back till it almost falls out. Permanently have an alcopop or beer bottle in hand and walk with a funny swagger. :unsure:

Thats a chav. Imagine them all out having a good time with their cars with fluorescent lights on underneath them! :blink:

Sorry didn't mean to scare you. They're all over the country ... not just in Manchester. :o

• Showmasters Admin

849203[/snapback]

Okay - question. :blush:

Translate Chav war zone into a format that a stupid German can understand.:unsure:

849240[/snapback]

You know all those irritating Brits who go to the med for their holidays wearing bad fitting clothes and burn themselves so they are red raw. Smoke 40 cigarettes aday with one permanently drooping out of their mouth, loads of big jewellry, girls with their hair scraped back till it almost falls out. Permanently have an alcopop or beer bottle in hand and walk with a funny swagger. :blush:

Thats a chav. Imagine them all out having a good time with their cars with fluorescent lights on underneath them! :blink:

Sorry didn't mean to scare you. They're all over the country ... not just in Manchester. :o

849245[/snapback]

That sums them up well :o

My reference was to the fact that they also like to wear "designer names", Rockport, Burberry etc, as they think (like with the big jewellery) that it makes them look like they have money. When all it actually does is make them look stupid.

I meant to say that Bring drinking has reared its ugly head on Sat nites on Portland street. Portland steet is the road that runs along Piccadilly Gardens. It has Brittania and the Javis Piccadilly Hotels on it.

Tram is the best way to travel round Manchester. It takes you direct to Train Stations and is cheap to use. The time to avoid is about 3pm on Sat as that when the footie fans head to Manchester footie grounds. So can get busy and rowdy. I did have the number for it but since I moved out of the area I got rid of the number.

You know all those irritating Brits who go to the med for their holidays wearing bad fitting clothes and burn themselves so they are red raw. Smoke 40 cigarettes aday with one permanently drooping out of their mouth, loads of big jewellry, girls with their hair scraped back till it almost falls out. Permanently have an alcopop or beer bottle in hand and walk with a funny swagger. :wub:

Thats a chav. Imagine them all out having a good time with their cars with fluorescent lights on underneath them! :wub:

Sorry didn't mean to scare you. They're all over the country ... not just in Manchester. :D

849245[/snapback]

Much appreciated, thanks everyone for the explanations.

Okay, so a chav is nothing I haven't seen before. :P

I think I'll survive. And we'll stay well clear of that area Saturday night.