CSI Goofs

tinababy

so, aside from the external temp of the body eg they find the vic in a freezer/has been frozen or in a desert (I can picture the examples but not the ep names... too tired! :D ooow wait The I-15 Murders is one and erm when that kid accidently kills his friend in s1/2, jippypop weed or summat? :D) which I did account for in my last post :P, TOD is MOSTLY accurate by liver temp? obv body temp will be higher if infection or drugs/alcohol but GENERALLY speaking? :smile:

I'll volunteer all the gimps from uni lol or the pervy blokes in Cardiff hehe!

surfy sah xx

ps-abrules, you wrote "doy"?! :wub:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a question for the more knowledgable(sp?) Like Sah said, is it just in the U.kthat they wear the white boiler suits?

Do you really need a torch in broad daylight?!

The boiler suits are used all over the world, they stop the CSI's from contaminating the crime scenes with their own hair/skin cells/shoe dirt etc. They don't use them on CSI so we can all drool over the actors.

Torches are still used in broad daylight because it helps you notice evidence, especially fingerprints, they show up better when a light shines on them from an acute angle.

In all honesty most of the forensic mistakes they make don't bother me because it's a TV program and they have to make it more dramatic. The one thing that irks me (and I don't really know why) is the way they always get clear prints from light switches. In real life you wouldn't even try to print the light switch as all the prints would be smudged.

I hope that makes sense, I should probably wait to reply to this thread when I've had less alcohol and more sleep. :blink:

Edited by Quirky Koala

Dont forget some of the torches are UV too..

Ive never managed to get an unsmudged print off anything bah..

Looks like we have plenty of 'volunteers' for our little liver temp TOD experiment now :lol:

Not all of the torches are UV, not on the initial walkthrough anyway (well, not that I've ever done, but they were just fake crime scenes for my uni modules).

The best fingerprints seem to come from weapons like knives or something, if a cabinet has a glass door that's usually also good. One of the best fingerprints I managed to get was from an apple :poki: but light switches and door handles - don't even bother!

good answer QK! couldn't tell you were under the influence of alcamahol at all!! :dance:

I just wonder why, then, they wear the white jump suits on Silent Witness? :o not that I've seen it lately! :WAVE: think they might have had the main cast in them in Waking the Dead too :dance:

know what you mean about something little being annoying, like what I said before about Sofia? attempting CPR while the vic was laying on a bed ^_^

I've managed to get loads of finger prints ON sellotape, like if I've been wrapping a present and got my fingers in the way :D but not tried to collect any! I'd have thought door knobs would be even worse than light switches - using one finger compared to grabbing with your whole hand?! :D

surfy sah xx

good answer QK! couldn't tell you were under the influence of alcamahol at all!! :wub:

Got away with it then :( although I probably wouldn't have started to rant about light switches if I was properly sober. I was going to come and edit my post when I got up this morning but Crispy had already replied.

I just wonder why, then, they wear the white jump suits on Silent Witness? :lol: not that I've seen it lately! :D think they might have had the main cast in them in Waking the Dead too :o

Silent Witness from what I've seen anyway has a more dark feel to it and tries to be more realistic (hence the suits), where as CSI goes for a more Hollywood feel while still trying to tell the story in a dramatic way...does that make sense? lol, not sure I'm making sense again and I'm completley sober :headscratch:

Plus I've got to say it's as hot as hell in those suits, if I was an actor and they gave me a choice to wear them or not I'd say no.

know what you mean about something little being annoying, like what I said before about Sofia? attempting CPR while the vic was laying on a bed :angry:

I loved that scene, she waited till she was obviously dead an then started CPR...on the bed, lol.

I've managed to get loads of finger prints ON sellotape, like if I've been wrapping a present and got my fingers in the way :P but not tried to collect any! I'd have thought door knobs would be even worse than light switches - using one finger compared to grabbing with your whole hand?! :smile:

surfy sah xx

The problem with lightswitches is that you press them and then drag your finger down - smudging any print that was there, that is how the switch is designed. A door knob (or handle) you grab with your whole and and pull, then most people smudge the prints when pulling their hand away. Sometimes with a door handle you get lucky but most times there is just a smudge...apart from on CSI.

I dont drag my finger down a lightswitch! So would probably work in my room :YAHOO:

Tip: Never commit a crime in a room where you've turned the light on. :YAHOO:

Non-medical person here btw..whats wrong with doing CPR on a bed?

I'm not a medical person either, but I think it's because chest compressions are meant to try and just start the heart by putting pressure on it. On a bed it wouldn't have any effect because the matress on the bed would give everytime you compress.

Oh yeah and PS Its Crippsy :dance:

Doh,:drunk: Sorry. I make less mistakes when I'm drunk! I always read your name as crispy though, I don't know why :D

Tip: Never commit a crime in a room where you've turned the light on. :YAHOO:

NOW people tell me! :YAHOO:

On a bed it wouldn't have any effect because the matress on the bed would give everytime you compress.

Yeah perhaps, Sah will prob be able to tell us when she gets online.

Would have thought it would still work though, just not be as effective, especially if the matress is hard as nails lol..

Doh,:thumbup: Sorry. I make less mistakes when I'm drunk! I always read your name as crispy though, I don't know why :headscratch:

No worrys, your the third person this week already to do it :D It doesnt usually bug me until several people start getting it wrong :D:wub:

hey Steve (aka criSSPY :lol:) lol don't worry KQ, do it all the time to him to wind him up :huh::lol::P

chest compressions on bed:

do not work as you are pushing the vic/casualty INTO the mattress and not compressing the heart in an effort to re-start it, hard or soft mattress it makes no difference, the person should be on the floor (or table) if they are not on a trolley (like in Casualty / ER) :band:

lightswitches:

I'm not a huge fan of "main" lights so you won't get my prints off them anyways :blink: my room has mini lamp thingies, will haveta be aware of how I swicth them on next time and see if I drag my finger hehe :blink:

Sofia:

it was cool! which ep was that, du know? :D

Silent Wittness:

makes sense! and those peeps aren't exactly eye candy :huh:

Luv sah xx

do not work as you are pushing the vic/casualty INTO the mattress and not compressing the heart in an effort to re-start it, hard or soft mattress it makes no difference, the person should be on the floor (or table) if they are not on a trolley (like in Casualty / ER) B)

lol, you've actually reminded me of a scene from battlestar galactica. They applied the paddles and jumpstarted someone's heart on the metal floor of a spaceship :huh: my brother couldn't understand why I groaned and shook my head.

Sofia:

it was cool! which ep was that, du know? :P

Luv sah xx

I think it was 6x10 Still Life. It just made me laugh how Sofia stood there and watched the girl (i think she was called kelly or something) convulse on the bed and when she was staring glassy eyed and foaming from the mouth Sofia then tried CPR! ;)

Edited by Quirky Koala

• 3 weeks later...

do not work as you are pushing the vic/casualty INTO the mattress and not compressing the heart in an effort to re-start it, hard or soft mattress it makes no difference, the person should be on the floor (or table) if they are not on a trolley (like in Casualty / ER) :WAVE:

lol, you've actually reminded me of a scene from battlestar galactica. They tried applied the paddles and jumpstarted someone's heart on the metal floor of a spaceship :WINCE: my brother couldn't understand why I groaned and shook my head.

*head+desk*

That's a dumb one. Even for a TV show.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been here before, but at the end of the Miami/NY double-header on Channel 5 tonight

brief space in case somebody hasn't watched it yet. Look away now!

("Felony Flight" and "Manhattan Manhunt"), Mac Taylor says to Henry Darius, the baddy, "you've killed 12 people in the last 72 hours".

I think he's missed some.

There's the 4 people in the yellow Mustang at the start

The pilot and the marshall on the plane

At least two girls at the sorority house

The driver of the car he steals when he ditches the country club security car after he's kidnapped Alexa Endecott

Alexa Endecott

5 schoolkids at the pharm party at the Endecott apartment in NY

the security guard at the Endecott apartment building

which I make 16.

OK, I'm not sure if the pilot and marshall are confirmed dead (I think at least the pilot is) and the security guard in NY is (something about being found on the staircase with a broken neck), and whilst the driver of the car he steals when he ditches the country club security car isn't confirmed as dead, you see him shoot him/her in the head from about two feet with a 9mm; that's going to give you a hell of a lot more than a migraine! (And I'm not sure if there's not more than two dead in the sorority house).

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...