Feedback on the weekend :)

I have to say I enjoyed the weekend a lot more than I thought I was going to last week. The things I loved were :)

a) The Dharma beer given on the first day. With a room full of guests, some uncertain how the weekend was going to unfold, this struck exactly the right note at exactly the right time. Suddenly the room was laughing and ready to have a good time. Kudos showmasters.

:P The guests - while obviously not main cast - were cool people and a lot of fun. They hang out at the parties etc which was brilliant. I also loved 'guest encounters' which of course was only able to happen because of the size of the convention but was a great idea to make the most of what we had.

c) The gold pass reception was cool, with the guests circulating well and the other parties were also lots of fun (was it eighties night though? Seemed it on Saturday LOL. Not that that's a bad thing, but would have been cool to have some more traditional 'con' dances)

d) Photoshoots included in the price. Loved loved loved that. Not normally the case in the cons I've attended so I've never got that many but since it 's included of course I did - and loved all of them :)

Things I think Showmasters need to think about for next time are

a) The MC. I read the Eclipse board and they were also ambivalent about this method of asking questions. Yes, I can see how it can allow shy attendees to ask a question but it does rob the occasion of a little energy, and all the spontanaeity. The obvious follow up questions don't get asked. And if there's a theme it doesn't get expanded on.

:YAHOO: reserved seating. Not a huge problem as it was for Eclipse with people reserving seats. However, I have never attended a convention that doesn't have allocated seating even if just for gold pass holders. That gives you freedom to come and go and know your seat is waiting for you. Due to the size of the event, not a huge problem but if it gets bigger showmasters should look into this. If you want to make sure you're sitting next to friends I'm sure an email to showmasters will sort this out :)

c) autograph queues. Again not a huge problem due to size of convention, but could be if it were bigger. Yes, gold pass were let in first which meant we got to the top of the first queues, but then standard were let in and we were stuck at the end of second queues. Solution would be to either make it one queue for all guests and you just go through each of the 4 guests when its your turn or to let gold people have the room to themselves for a while (say the first half hour of the two hour session) that would enable them to get sorted out and then less queues for the standard.

But all in all a great event. No we didn't have A list guests but showmasters made the best of what we had

Thank you

That gives you freedom to come and go and know your seat is waiting for you.

And if you're talking about Eclipse...how about the 500 people behind you who could be using that seat if you've walked off to the dealers room?

Edited by KrazyKid197

All was great ! :P

And specially :

- the Gold Pass Cocktail with the guests liaison who did a great job so that everyone can speak with every guest (without the stress of Eclipse's cocktail). Thank you very much for that. :YAHOO:

- the fact that the actors were so friendly and were there at all the parties (even sunday night at the bar) was really fantastic !

• Showmasters Admin

c) autograph queues. Again not a huge problem due to size of convention, but could be if it were bigger. Yes, gold pass were let in first which meant we got to the top of the first queues, but then standard were let in and we were stuck at the end of second queues. Solution would be to either make it one queue for all guests and you just go through each of the 4 guests when its your turn or to let gold people have the room to themselves for a while (say the first half hour of the two hour session) that would enable them to get sorted out and then less queues for the standard.

Had to mention this... but no where does it say that Gold Pass members get priority queueing for the autograph queues, that is for the photo sessions only. Check the website.

So I would say that it was very kind of showmasters to do this for the gold pass members at Lockdown, but it will most likely not happen this way at other events, and will probably revert to the way it was done at Eclipse, and have different groups called for different guests.

Just wanted to point out that it's not exactly necessary to complain that you had to go to the back of secondary queues, when in fact you weren't actually getting the priority queueing here as a perk.

SJ

xox

I know that conventions in the US often have numbered seating and you are allocated a seat that's yours for the convention. It's certainly something to think about for the future.

Perhaps it's good, because you have not to queue...

But the actual system is great too, for 2 reasons :

- If you have an allocated place in the back of the main hall or on the first line of seats but at the extremity, i think you would prefer to have the possibility to queue (and to be nearer from the actors) rather keeping this "bad" place all the week-end.

- And with an allocated place for all the convention, what's happen if people doesn't want to watch all the talk ?

I really appreciate how things happened at Eclipse and Lockdown :thumbup: If you want absolutely to have a good place specially for one of the talk, you can queue in the first and have a good seat for this one. It's very good like that :thumbup:

Had to mention this... but no where does it say that Gold Pass members get priority queueing for the autograph queues, that is for the photo sessions only. Check the website.

So I would say that it was very kind of showmasters to do this for the gold pass members at Lockdown, but it will most likely not happen this way at other events, and will probably revert to the way it was done at Eclipse, and have different groups called for different guests.

But at Eclipse the Gold Pass holders could join the back of any queue for autographs whether they had been called or not...

BUt anyway, since I got all 4 autographs in about 35 minutes I don't really think there was a problem with the queuing system there.

• Showmasters Admin

But at Eclipse the Gold Pass holders could join the back of any queue for autographs whether they had been called or not...

BUt anyway, since I got all 4 autographs in about 35 minutes I don't really think there was a problem with the queuing system there.

That was a temporary change made by Jason, because at the time (10am) the groups system didn't appear to be working. By 11am it was working but Jason allowed the gold pass thing to continue. It's unlikely to happen again. As SJ said, priority queuing for autographs it not one ot the perks of a gold pass it's not in the terms and conditions. In both cases we were just being nice :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

Using an MC also cuts down on....

A: Rude and inapropriate questions.

B: It stops the one person that feels they have to give a 5 minute introduction to there question by naming every other time and place they have met the guest before and explain in great detail why they are asking the question. We've all seen it at Cons were someone feels they have to take over the talk with a long and personal story completely un-interesting to anyone else.

Seating....

We looked at all the ways of doing it.

The problem with specific seat numbers is people have issues sitting with friends and family if they don't by their tickets at the same time.

We didn't want to have a free for all either as it just means people queue up hours in advance.

We decided to have specific rows for Gold (and the first 100 at Eclipse), and then let everyone in in their groups. It worked well. It meant people could wait for friends if they wanted to, and people didn't feel they HAD to queue up for hours. They knew if they were there 15 mintes before they would get called in by their group.

At Lockdown as we only had 120 regular ticket holders we just held the first 2 rows for the 40 or so gold people and let everyone else in after. The worst seat you could get was still only 25-30 feet from the stage.

We went for the system we felt was the best for the attendees and us. Yes people will have different views on it, but no system for seating in the hall is perfect. They all help some and hinder others. If there was a perfect system everyone would use it.

I continue to be impressed at the way Showmasters are responding to the contructive criticism following the first event. We asked for laminated passes and we got them :P We asked for a guest liason to be with the guests during the Gold Pass reception and we got it :WINCE: We asked for more information on signing times and a more detailed schedule and we got it :thumbup:

I think my only comment from the Lockdown event was that due to the number of attendees, the hall was too big for the parties. I think a decision needed taking to either hold it out by the bar or find some way of making the room smaller for the evenings. I think there was a problem that the dance floor was SO SO huge, people felt too self-conscious to dance, hence the parties got going really quite late. Hopefully, this won't be a problem at future events, when there will be more attendees, but it's worth considering.

Using an MC also cuts down on....

A: Rude and inapropriate questions.

B: It stops the one person that feels they have to give a 5 minute introduction to there question by naming every other time and place they have met the guest before and explain in great detail why they are asking the question. We've all seen it at Cons were someone feels they have to take over the talk with a long and personal story completely un-interesting to anyone else.

I completely agree with the reasoning behind the MC and I think by and large it works... but the previous point about missing follow up questions is also valid - not sure what the solution is.

I've been watching lots of clips today from a couple of conventions in the States that have happened over the last 2 weekends, and at both they allowed the attendees to ask the questions. The way they do it is that the attendee says "Hi I'm..." and then asks the question and there's often a fair bit of interaction between the guest and the question asker, including follow-up comments etc and the guest asking the asker their opinion etc. I think the incidents of people having huge long intros to their questions is rare and it gives a much more 'personal' touch to the Q&As.

I do see how having an MC can be useful when there are quiet times or few questions, but other than that, I personally like the idea of people asking their own questions. There just needs to be more people passing the mics around so there's less 'down-time' while the mic reaches them. Or have people queuing up (either on 1 side or on both sides of the stage) to take their turn asking questions.

I have no preference between attendees asking questions and a unique Showmasters people asking questions. I suppose some people prefer to ask the question themselves, and some people who have some interesting questions (but they don't dare to ask the questions) prefer someone else is asking the questions for them.

But it's true that when the questions are asked by the same person, I used to hear the voice and I understand better the questions at the end of the Q&A session (because I don't understand very well english when it's spoken). When everyone is asking the question, I have sometimes some difficulties with some special accent loooool But it's a very personnal opinion :P

From the photographer point of view I had a small issue with stage lights.

The back of the stage was well lit, but the front was rather dark.

It was nice that the guests were close to the front of the stage on their chairs. But I see now where TheFreckles was coming from in our discussion about photos.

I was okay with my camera during the time we were allowed to take photos, but I understand now why others my not have been, especially at a larger show like Eclipse.

Also the room for the Gold Pass Drink Reception was leaning a bit on the small side for my taste. It was quite full, and with the air condition either not working or not turned on the air got bad soon. I don't think there was a larger room (besides the main hall) than this one, so I am not realy sure what could be done about it. :P

:P reserved seating. Not a huge problem as it was for Eclipse with people reserving seats. However, I have never attended a convention that doesn't have allocated seating even if just for gold pass holders. That gives you freedom to come and go and know your seat is waiting for you. Due to the size of the event, not a huge problem but if it gets bigger showmasters should look into this. If you want to make sure you're sitting next to friends I'm sure an email to showmasters will sort this out :)

I've never actually heard of a convention having reserved seating - I'm wholeheartedly against the idea. It takes away all freedom. You can't sit with who you want to unless you ask beforehand. You can't sit where you want to - tough s*** if you wanna get some photos, or if you're short and can't see very well from that position. You can't make friends over the weekend and decide to sit with them. I'd hate it.

I've been watching lots of clips today from a couple of conventions in the States that have happened over the last 2 weekends, and at both they allowed the attendees to ask the questions. The way they do it is that the attendee says "Hi I'm..." and then asks the question and there's often a fair bit of interaction between the guest and the question asker, including follow-up comments etc and the guest asking the asker their opinion etc. I think the incidents of people having huge long intros to their questions is rare and it gives a much more 'personal' touch to the Q&As.

I do see how having an MC can be useful when there are quiet times or few questions, but other than that, I personally like the idea of people asking their own questions. There just needs to be more people passing the mics around so there's less 'down-time' while the mic reaches them. Or have people queuing up (either on 1 side or on both sides of the stage) to take their turn asking questions.

I've been doing events for quite a few years and have seen a LOT of 'monologuing', lots of very inappropriate questions and even one which was slanderous. Perhaps the answer is to use the MC and if the attendee wants to ask the question (they generally get the opportunity) then they can and maybe can keep the mic for any follow up comments?

I've never actually heard of a convention having reserved seating - I'm wholeheartedly against the idea.

There's some events in the US that do this. Especially one organiser is quite famous for that system.

Perhaps the answer is to use the MC and if the attendee wants to ask the question (they generally get the opportunity) then they can and maybe can keep the mic for any follow up comments?

Erm... I may be wrong here and I don't have the little sheet with the question tickets anymore, but wasn't this the way they did it at Lockdown? I am pretty sure there was some place to mark if you wanted to ask the question yourself.

Erm... I may be wrong here and I don't have the little sheet with the question tickets anymore, but wasn't this the way they did it at Lockdown? I am pretty sure there was some place to mark if you wanted to ask the question yourself.

Yeah, you could ask the question yourself... the change I'm suggesting is that you keep the mic a little longer to ask up follow up questions.

• Showmasters Admin

Yeah, you could ask the question yourself... the change I'm suggesting is that you keep the mic a little longer to ask up follow up questions.

Lol I can remember an event where a girl got the mic and asked about 4 follow up questions before the MC finally said, can we please let someone else have the mic please. I think it's more fair to allow each person to ask one question - that way we can fit as many different questions in as possible, and more people will get the chance to ask them.

And I have also found that the "follow up questions" go completely off topic and are actually completely different questions entirely, and could have been asked on separate occassions, I myself have been guilty of doing that at previous events, and know for sure I'm not alone in doing so!

The thing I like about the question sheets to write them down on, is that if there were ever a certain topic actors didn't want to discuss or answer questions on, the MC could hold these questions back - whereas allowing people to ask whatever they want can sometimes put the guest in an awkward position.

But I must admit I do like to ask the questions myself. I did at Eclipse, but this time, I was hovering with Davey working on the laptops, so left it up to Paul, and I gotta say he did all of my questions justice, and think most of them (if not all) were asked. Heh.

I think the MC-ing thing is a difficult thing to judge though, I mean the talks all went incredibly well, the guests responded well to the questions, the downtime between questions was kept to a minimum, and the question sheets seemed to work really well.

Whereas I have seen a guest talk with a star of the series (and his first UK appearance), and another great guest from the show were sitting trying to think of things to talk about on stage because no one would get up and go to the mic to ask a question. And without an MC there to keep things going along and avoid this downtime, it just seemed worse. This didn't really work for me, and I do prefer having an MC there to stop this kind of thing from happening.

I think there needs to be a balance between the two different methods, and the only way to get that balance is for more people to be willing to use the mics to ask questions, rather than just taking the easy way out and letting Paul ask them all. And again, if someone does have a follow up question - it may be an idea to have an extra line on the question sheets, for a related follow up question, that way the MC could return the mic to the person to ask it before moving on (and it would stop the mic being left in the hands of an attendee for an extended period of time, I've seen people interupting the guests too to ask questions mid-answer!)

But for me Paul did a fantastic job at keeping all of the talks going, and I throroughly enjoyed them all, we got some interesting stories, as well as some just plain silly answers for what were stupid questions (most of them asked by me, :P)

SJ

xox

i had no problem with the seating at eclipse, i was half way back and all my pictures same out fine, i also managed to get seats next to friends that were in batches from all over the calling lists so it can be done, not one of my friends was in my batch, but we all sat together. you just need to know whats best for you. our friendwith the good camera sat at the end of the row the shorter members moved aroiudn and swapt so we could see.

i went to the con on my own and made loads of friends when i was there either by sitting next to people or talking to people in photocues and auto cues.

i cant see how such a small amount of people as was at lockdown would have had any problems with seeing or hearing the guests

I dont think the original post was saying that there were any problems with seeing or hearing the guests, that wasn't a problem at all. The person was just making a suggestion for the way things could be done in the future. I doubt there will ever again be a convention this small run by Showmasters or Massive Events.

Also the room for the Gold Pass Drink Reception was leaning a bit on the small side for my taste. It was quite full, and with the air condition either not working or not turned on the air got bad soon. I don't think there was a larger room (besides the main hall) than this one, so I am not realy sure what could be done about it. :smile:

I agree with you.

I don't think the room's size was really a problem at Lockdown (but we were only 40ish).

But you can imagine (i don't know if you were at Eclipse) what's happened at Eclipse, because we were in the same room and we were 100 attendees :blink:

So I agree this room is to small when there's 100 attendees at the Gold Pass Drink.

But i don't think there is a bigger room in the hotel (Except the Main Hall and the Dealer's room which can't be used for the drink).

Perhaps the solution is to use the same room as usually and a second room in the same corridor (perhaps the room for the photo session or the rooms used for the encounters). It's not a problem if we are in 2 different rooms because the guest liaisons help the guests to meet every attendees. :D

Edited by sebastianillyria

I had a great weekend! Even though the guests weren't big, they were s friendly so you could ask and talk to them about lost and find out lots of things about working on the show and even the big stars!

I thought it was organized well. I was unsure about the event before hand but my intial beliefs were soon trashed once I met all the cool people there, who were soon to become friends. It enabled us to meet others who shared our love for Lost and this made the convention. I will make sure I start saving for next time! :)

I have been to a few conventions run by different people (not a showmasters one yet, but that may change). One does a ‘gold at the front and everyone else can pretty much sit where they like’ thing.

The other has a system in place where no matter what number you have on your reg pass (if you are given ticket numbers at showmasters event, I assume so), every day of the event you have to go where the main hall is and get a ticket with a different number on (more often then not people do queue with friends so they do sit near each other, regardless of when they booked there con ticket). They normally stop handing tickets out about 10-30mins before the main hall opens for talks.

You get called in batches into the main hall, and those who didn't get a ticket have to wait till everyone else is called, and its a different set of tickets each day, so people who were first in on the Saturday, might not be first in on the Sunday. I like that system because as I said even if you book at a different time to a friend who is going to the event with you, you still have the chance of sitting near each other...

People may see problems with this system but I never had a problem with it...

:P

LLAP :thumbup: