RingCon/Eclipse Crewing

DavidB

• Moderators

As far as I can remember, the another show crew situation was asked about a while ago, but I can't remember a definite answer/explanation (please give a link if I'm wrong!), and with the Eclipse con announced too .. I just wondered if anyone had any news about how crewing would work at 'cons' compared to other shows?

I know another show is a few months away, and Eclipse even further, but I was just curious :P

Thanks!

• Moderators

I know how cons usually work, but it'd be nice to know something about these ones - even if it's just a 'yes, it'll run like that' reply or something so I can start deciding about tickets or whatever :drunk:

I know how cons usually work, but it'd be nice to know something about these ones - even if it's just a 'yes, it'll run like that' reply or something so I can start deciding about tickets or whatever :D

I know that at another con which shall remain nameless, you worked the full three days but didn't get paid for it. If you already had your ticket then it did get refunded, but you were expected to work the full days to be able to enter the convention. Also the hotel wasn't part of the crew package either.

I hope to god Showmasters still keep to their policy of paying and accomodation as this makes a huge difference to some. I am sure they will though as it's a tried and tested method and bonus for those working.

As for the working of another show, I personally hope that the crew will be well informed and know what they are doing. Some run like they have no lubricant on the chain - and this is where bad reports will come into effect. Everyone will need to know what's going on as MANY questions get asked at events like these and you will get shot down if you can't answer them!! I know :clap:

I think also that there should be at least a few foreign speaking crew members - the biggest complaint at Ringcons German counterpart is that the English speakers don't get looked after well enough. I'd like to see flag badges on those that can speak German etc so the foreign guests know where to go for help. I personally do not have a problem in Germany though I don't speak much German - and I think most visitors to the UK know our language as well as we do, but there will be a few who will want to attend these events who aren't as fluent.

I think also that there should be at least a few foreign speaking crew members - the biggest complaint at Ringcons German counterpart is that the English speakers don't get looked after well enough. I'd like to see flag badges on those that can speak German etc so the foreign guests know where to go for help. I personally do not have a problem in Germany though I don't speak much German - and I think most visitors to the UK know our language as well as we do, but there will be a few who will want to attend these events who aren't as fluent.

SM do have foreign speaking crew around and if anyone has a problem the pit bosses know who we are and come and get us. I tend to be the French translator and am normally at every event and do get used to translate if there is any problem. I always try and talk to any French speakers in the crowd in their own language if I hear them talking as well, even if it's just "hello are you ok, any problems shout!".

SM do have foreign speaking crew around and if anyone has a problem the pit bosses know who we are and come and get us. I tend to be the French translator and am normally at every event and do get used to translate if there is any problem. I always try and talk to any French speakers in the crowd in their own language if I hear them talking as well, even if it's just "hello are you ok, any problems shout!".

I've probably never noticed you around shouting because I don't speak much French either LOL. But I do speak more French than German....

If the German another show is anything to go by there should be many languages at this/these convention(s) so a few more translators like you wouldn't go a miss. IMO.

• Showmasters Admin

Hi everyone,

Sorry not to get back to you on this sooner! Been mad here with sorting out the last details for Eclipse, and maybe even some other exciting announcements that will be coming your way soon too! :(

So far as crewing is concerned for the conventions, another show and Eclipse, we would say that if you want to attend the event then buy your ticket and book your room as if you are not crewing. Then, when we come round to sorting the crew out for the event if you have already booked then we will both refund your ticket and also cover the cost of your hotel room! :hathor:

Hope that makes sense! We thought this was the best way to do this as we don't want anyone possibly missing out on the event.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, so if you have any other questions I will answer them as quick as I can.

Thanks

Mark :borg:

• 4 weeks later...

hope I'm not being a pain, was just curious about how much of the event crew will work as I don't think this has been answered :wub:

as SG cons I have been to, we pay full price for the ticket and full price for the hotel and as a reward for giving up 4-6hours (sometimes more) over the weekend, we get to sit at the front behind the disabled area (there are no different tickets) for the talks and get a free 8x10 photo shoot photo with all the guests posing, which is always cool :lol:

I, and I know a few other SM crew, worked the LotR con a few years back in London (Wembley?) where we didn't have to buy a con ticket but we had to pay for the hotel and the majority of us didn't get to see any of the con at all :o (I myself spent 1 day in the auto pit Q and on the door and the other 2 days guarding a back stage exit hmmm :wub: ) but we were rewarded with an after-show gathering which all guests (except Billy Boyd) attended and signed our con t-shirts or show programme for free, which was pretty cool! :wub: and made up for guarding a door for me lol! :wub:

hope I've not crossed any lines, apps if I have!!!!

just like to know which SM cons will follow: giving up a few hours per day/over the weekend or crewing full days and likely missing most of the con?

also what the policy with autographs is likely to be? at the SG cons they are part of the convention ticket but if crew are getting their tickets refunded?? :no:

also, pressume there won't be gratuity as SM have said they will be paying for everything (wahooo!) :wub:

sorry, lots of questions I know!! and I am in no way expecting a prompt answer, what with Glasgow just finished and London tomorrow, I know it'll be very busy! I just thought I'd post and get it out there :o

diolch yn fawr!!!!

surfy sah xx

To be honest - I think that Showmasters are being very generous with what they have already said. It's not very often you work a con AND get paid for it. It is usually that you give up half your day to "work" then the rest of the day you are free to enjoy the talks/get your autographs - and of course you have to pay the full con fee. Others, including the Wembley one, didn't require you to pay for your ticket, but the hotel was given at the discount rate if you booked through the event organisers. And yes, when it was over, the guests did indeed give out autographs for the "t-shirt" collector :wub:

I think for now that Showmasters have given us enough to go on. If you want to attend another show as a guest then buy your ticket, reserve your hotel room, stick that cotume on and party! If you want to crew then do as was suggested and buy your ticket/reserve your hotel room (you don't have to pay anything for this at most) and get in that crew email when it's sent out. Doing both is extremely hard, I know for one, and I think it's a case of deciding which best suits you. Or course, if half days are offered then that is an option, but personally speaking I'd prefer to do the whole con and get my room paid for. It's a reward at the end of the day to know you've worked your socks off and Showmasters appreciate your efforts :wub:

I voluteered as crew at celebration europe but only as a last minute thing (it was the saturday afternoon and they were short of crew). For it I got a full refund on my ticket, a free Mark Hamill autograph (although I did ask for this!), an art print from one of the artists and the chance to meet some great guests and to work with Lucasfilm (and become 1 of their official worldwide crew). So although I missed the talks etc on days 2 and 3 this more than made up for it.

I would like to crew for eclipse and lockdown but otherwise cannot afford to go so wouldn't be able to buy tickets - is there going to be a way around this?

Cheers, Darren

• Moderators

That's very unlikely - Mark's already told people to buy tickets etc, and I know some people already have but intend on applying to crew, and there will be limited spots. It's generally how conventions work compared to other events.

Yeah I know but it was worth a try !! I used to organise events (not conventions or such like) years ago and one of the most difficult things was trying to find your crew or volunteers and I'm aware that SM have a good team already - just out of interest (seeing as you seem to spend your entire life on here!) how many crew does SM have and how many are normally needed at an event such as CM and something smaller like this.

I'm only curious as like I said I've just agreed to join Lucasfilms crew (like they really had to ask me!!) and was wondering how often you are likely to be used. Also do the crew need to be Police checked for working with children etc??

• Showmasters Admin

just out of interest how many crew does SM have and how many are normally needed at an event such as CM and something smaller like this.

I'm only curious as like I said I've just agreed to join Lucasfilms crew (like they really had to ask me!!) and was wondering how often you are likely to be used. Also do the crew need to be Police checked for working with children etc??

Remember we are all volunteers so different crew volunteer for different events etc. I'm not 100% sure how many people total we have on the crew database that crew e-mails go out to, but it's quite a few, well over 200.

For a Saturday or Sunday at CM we usually need about 100-120 crew. It obviously depends a lot on how many guests and how big they are, do we have talks, photo shoots etc etc etc. There are a lot of variables involved in working out how many crew we'll need. It's fun :dance: And changes daily as guests get announced and cancel all the way up until each morning of the show.

We aren't working with children on our own and security of this type for lost children etc is the responsibility of the centre, so no the crew do not need to be Police checked. In the same way people that work in a shop don't need to be police checked.

I have no idea how often Lucusfilm crew are likely to be used they have nothing to do with us.

Cheers for that. I wasn't sure about the CRB checks as I DJ at weekends and before I could get insurance I had to be checked (I am for work anyway) So wasn't sure if SM's insurance has the same clauses.

I know that Lucasfilm crew has nothing to do with you - just thought maybe others might have been involved with it.

Thanks again - might put my name forward to crew events now

to be honest, I wouldn't mind if crew missed the entire con because I've never seen Hereos so it wouldn't mean anything to me anyways :blush: I'm in the same boat as others where I could no way afford to attend without being crew (that's with the hotel and con ticket cost alone, forget transport, food&drinks etc yeep! :P) but then my student status has ended and I am currently unemployed :( so :YAHOO:

just think it would be well cool to experience a SM con from the crew PoV as I've crewed/stewarted several different types of events for different companies now and I think it would be fab to see how SM do things :dance: would of course have to be an attendee if a CSI or simular con was ever announced :o

surfy sah xx

to be honest, I wouldn't mind if crew missed the entire con because I've never seen Hereos so it wouldn't mean anything to me anyways :lol: I'm in the same boat as others where I could no way afford to attend without being crew (that's with the hotel and con ticket cost alone, forget transport, food&drinks etc yeep! ;)) but then my student status has ended and I am currently unemployed :dance: so :o

just think it would be well cool to experience a SM con from the crew PoV as I've crewed/stewarted several different types of events for different companies now and I think it would be fab to see how SM do things :lol: would of course have to be an attendee if a CSI or simular con was ever announced ^_^

surfy sah xx

Concerning another show :

Personally I would like to see crew members who have an interest and actually know something about Lord of the Rings, working at another show. The buzz from the fans is trememdous, and there is nothing worse than having an non-enthusiastic crew member at an event who doesn't know their Orc from their Elf!! I'm not saying that you need to be an expert on Tolkien himself, as many will be going for the film guests, but those with a little knowledge in other areas would serve the public much better in their enqiries that others may not be able to answer.

Just a thought.