Films watched in 2024

Faerie Tanith

Can't believe this topic hasn't been made already. It's almost like the forum is dying.

I've just watched Poor Things. Definitely enjoyed it! It feels very 'cinema' without being so artsy-fartsy as to end up being pretentious. I've never really thought much of Emma Stone but she certainly showed off her range here. 

• Like 2

Like you, I'm surprised this topic hadn't been set up already.

Went to see Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire today, Now whilst I enjoyed it, it just wasn't quite as enjoyable as Afterlife.

And dare I say it, James Acaster wasn't actually that bad.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:52 PM, Faerie Tanith said:

It's almost like the forum is dying.

There's been a new 'kid' on the con block.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched 'Godzilla vs Kong'  brainless action and good old fashioned popcorn movie time! Liked it very much, can't wait to watch Godzilla & Kong the new Empire in cinemas ;)

220px-Godzilla_x_kong_the_new_empire_poster.jpg

GODZILLA X KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE (2024)
2.5/5 (No spoilers)

I liked the last one but this was a bit crap which is a shame cos I hoped for more from a Hollow Earth setting. That said, the fights are good  especially Kong's, however Godzilla takes a backseat in his own film as we hardly see him. In fact Kong overshadows Godzilla so much here that you want Big G's boring scenes to hurry up so we can get back to Big K.

The plot is thin but who needs plot anyway when you have giant beasties bashing each other? Adults do! The script doesn't even reveal its objective until the 3rd act when we are FINALLY told why everyone has been brought to Hollow Earth. Whatsmore the big bad is given very little to do and we're introduced to him far too late into the film. The only story of interest is Kong finding his kind enslaved but even then it becomes too much like WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (2017).

There are annoying humans of course including the predictable 'he's there just to be eaten' guy and the mute native kid who insists on wearing a headband all the time just in case we 'forget' she's native and her soppy step-mum, but the film just gets ridiculous (and over-crowded) nearer the end when things turn "cute" and "angelic" with the appearance of a certain Titan. Kong's bionic gauntlet was ridiculous enough.

WALKOUTS: A kid and his dad walked-out halfway despite sitting in VIP seats. The teen beside me was more interested in scrolling through her phone throughout the climax and she and her mates all left as soon as the baddie was defeated - they didn't even wanna see the ending.
Edited by nicky

8 hours ago, nicky said:
220px-Godzilla_x_kong_the_new_empire_poster.jpg

WALKOUTS: A kid and his dad walked-out halfway despite sitting in VIP seats. The teen beside me was more interested in scrolling through her phone throughout the climax and she and her mates all left as soon as the baddie was defeated - they didn't even wanna see the ending.

Yikes. The film that bad? One of my work collegues wants to see it. I'm more intrigued by the ghost busters one. 

I got round to a movie called Vanguard but it seems Jackie Chan is more in the backseat despite him being the main person on the front cover. I give it a 3/5

Edited by maegurwen