Event cancelled......????

20 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

They said it's due to the strikes but honestly I saw this coming a mile off, my guess is they couldn't get enough guests or interest to justify going ahead with the event so they pulled the plug to save face. Cynical of me I know.

Yeah this is the general consensus online, because most other cons are not having issues (albeit Manchester had a few late cancels, mostly we think from stars getting twitchy feet about attending events during the strike).

My friend thought they weren't going with the current SAG guidelines but Jase groovily replied back to him they are 100% are, going on further all actors who can attend have got to say they are 100% happy to attend whilst a quite a few actors from states r reluctant to attend events some saying they will wait until situation calms a bit. so when sm r reliant on overseas guests, well... 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:59 PM, Jack Torrance said:

Then just fill it up with sports stars no? I have a whole bunch of footballers I need on shirts!

This is why I think they're using the strikes as a cover for something else. Collectormania has always been a little more diverse in its contents, and while I have zero interest in sports guests they've always been a large part of the show and a big reason for a lot of people to come. Add to that people like cosplay guests or comic artists, maybe some prop photoshoots, and you've still got an event people will enjoy even if the film and tv guest numbers are low. To cancel it altogether and then keep promoting and hyping up LFCC Winter makes me think they just couldn't be bothered with a smaller con like this one. Again I know I'm a bit of a Cynical Cynthia but there's my thoughts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakeYourGrooveThing said:

Might b best to check the full facebook thread on the Birmingham page there love, as I understand they are reliant on the overseas guests and that's where the main problem is 

Surely LFCC Winter would be in trouble too then.

1 hour ago, Faerie Tanith said:

Surely LFCC Winter would be in trouble too then.

I think what Jason was saying,was that there was a kind of initial general knee jerk reaction by some potential big guests to back off from doing cons until they're fully used to the strike guidelines,and that's there's enough time before LFCC for them to work with/through the guidelines with those potential(big) guests in advance of the event.

I think the above is in reference to those potential big big guests that pull in large numbers of people.

Birmingham was too soon after the start of the strike,for them to have time to work these things through.

Putting it bluntly,and i'm generalising,but i guess the bigger you are,the more money you have,and the easier it is for you to turn down income,and for longer.

There will of course be a reasonable number of actors who simply can't live with no income(cons are a significant part of some  actors incomes now) or are retired(and may no longer be union members) i dont think they are the people that are backing off,it's the big guests that can afford to do so,frankly.  

Edited by Captain_Kronos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 2:36 PM, AckAck said:

I did notice on the Showmasters ticket page, that another event same day is cancelled.

So maybe something NEC related.

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/showmasters-7883256199

I know this reply is late in the day but that other cancelled event is also a Showmasters event.  They run the Brick (Lego) events.