Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

So after a notably late delay lets finally cover the updates.

first we have Jessica Martin who many would remember as Mags from "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy", she also appeared in voice form as the Queen (GOD BLESS HER) in "Voyage of the dammed", she also appeared numerous times in audio form for Big finish, namingly the audios "Signs and Wanders" from the main range and then "Last of Colophon" for the Fourth Doctor Adventures, but she did return to the role of Mags for a trilogy of stories where Alan Barnes decided to make her a companion, these stories are "The Monsters of Gokroth", "The Moons of Vulpana" and "An Alien Werewolf in London", if you remember the Spring con which hosted Victoria Yeates she was in the former of the trilogy, so maybe like myself you'll be getting that entry signed, shes appearing across the event, but she hasn't a price listed from experience she is £15.

Jessica-Martin-Base-Image.jpg

next we have Adrian Rawlins, who has a nice variety of Doctor who credits, on screen he was Ryder in "Planet of the Ood", so you'll need either a series 4 volume 1 or a Complete Series 4 boxset, he has a few audio credits such as "Antillia the lost" from the 4th Doctor Adventures, and then a reoccurring role as Frederick Abberline in the 7th series of "Jago & Litefoot", of course outside of Doctor who he may be better known as James potter from the Harry potter Series or Nikolai Fomin from Chernobyl, hes attending Sunday and is £15.

AdrianRawlingsWeb.png

lastly we have Michael Jenn, who was Clearance DeMarco in the series 7 finale "The Name of the Doctor" now i was surprised to see how many releases this actually has, as for options who have Series 7B Part 2, The Complete 7th Series, the 50 Anniversary boxset and the latter steelbook release, which means i'm running out of space on my copy of Series 7, he is attending Saturday and is £15 for his autograph.

MichaelJennWeb.png

Now i ask the question to everyone what will you be getting signed by each of these guests with the variety presented, as even the single credit actor has a nice variety in choice.

Well I'm up to 12 or 13 guests that i'm looking at getting autographs from. But of those 5 are Doctor Who guests. 

I've Jessica Martin on my Greatest Show dvd, and 500 year Diary already. And as much as she is a great person to meet, I dont need to add her to anything else.

I'll be adding Michael and Adrian to my 500 year Diary.

I would like to think that as there are so few Doctor Who guests for the summer show that they are planning for the winter show to be more Who oriented. Hopefully anyway, as I've alread started the ball rolling at work about getting that weekend off

Edited by Mfahey79

2 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

I would like to think that as there are so few Doctor Who guests for the summer show that they are planning for the winter show to be more Who oriented. Hopefully anyway, as I've alread started the ball rolling at work about getting that weekend off

I'm on a 0 Hour contract so i can take whatever time i want really, but i only get 28 days i think off paid time off, with the pay depending on how many hours i put in which is usually around 120-160+ a month tbh, so my pay is never dreadful, i would hope it balances out i'm at 14 guests with 21 items for signing myself so its not too bad a show and thats only 6 guests i've met prior, so not the worst turn out, and i do like it when cons give me a reason to get something new for them, assuming i have enough time to do so, and the item isn't unreasonably expensive.

I'm sure there will be more guests announced i'm feeling more confident about it, however what i'm more worried about is if they bring back a certain guest who i know will cause another crowd issue, maybe we were over spoiled by the appearance of 5 doctors last November, that to me has been the high point of conventions LFCC or otherwise.

so far the one i think i'm excited to meet so far from July LFCC is Mike Stevens, he will be joining a good number of Covers with a fantastic array of names, specifically my lost in time project as i refer to it, currently that only has 7 names signed to it, but by the time July roles around Stevens will likely be name number 10, i do enjoy building up covers with more names, i joke that theres not much cover left, as is the case with my Series 7 which with the addition of Michael Jenn will be at 10 itself, i'm gonna need to work out where he can go TBH, as i wanna keep a space on the outside for Karen Gillen on the rare off chance, but i don't want to move to the inside just yet (Again the choice of not having interior art is a disappointment), but even then with really signed covers, Mcoy, Cornell and Cartmell will push "Delta and the Bannermen" to 11 names, and thats a singular story.

if anything i would like to maybe see someone who did a wide variety for some choice, even then their Birmingham con isn't lacking at all, as my list for that is sound as it is, but if i was to give a name rn Geoffrey Beavers would be brilliant, i'd get him on two things "The Ambassadors of death" (Where his character was tragically named Private Johnson, i wonder if his first name was richard?) and "Light at the end" given the work i'm putting into that set, but i guess if i wanted another Classic doctor, want is Tom Baker who is the outside chance, the inside chance is Peter Davison, i havent seen him be anywhere with Colin and Sylvester in a while, i can't remember if they were all on the same Day at this show or not last year, but if LFCC can get him that'll be the latest in the many things they've done better, (A very long list that is), i do remember they had him announced a year or two ago alongside Janet Fielding but then he was cancelled within 36 hours i think, they've since had Janet but not Peter.

Edited by D-C-A
  • Like 1

For Michael & Adrian, I'll definitely get 8x6s.

Probably also the relevant pages from 'Doctor Who - The Vault', unless I need to take other books for DW guests that are a greater priority. Don't want to be lugging too many heavy books around.

• Like 1

I work one weekend on, and one off, getting time off isnt a problem just need to make sure its covered. And my boss is always bugging me to take time of as I dont book anything at start of year, which leaves a load of days needing to be used towards end of year. Last year worked out well as managed a week in Morocco with excursions for less than a weekend in London. 

I've 9 autographs on my Survival DVD, and 9 on my Greatest Show dvd. And various DVDs with just one or two on. Including Peter Miles signing my Genesis DVD twice as we were chatting he forgot he'd just signed it. 

I only work 2 nights a week, Friday & Saturday, which is obviously inconvenient for DW events on those days - which most are. On the other hand, I'm off Sunday to Thursday.

All my holiday allowance goes on booking time off to go to DW events, and I often have to book unpaid time off, as there are more events to go to than I have holiday hours. Sunday events are good, as I don't need to book any time off - not working Sunday night.

Next Saturday, I'm off to my regular monthly DW signing. I'll finish work at 6 am, then its home for a few hours, before catching the train. As usual I've got the Saturday night booked off as holiday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

I work one weekend on, and one off, getting time off isnt a problem just need to make sure its covered. And my boss is always bugging me to take time of as I dont book anything at start of year, which leaves a load of days needing to be used towards end of year. Last year worked out well as managed a week in Morocco with excursions for less than a weekend in London. 

I've 9 autographs on my Survival DVD, and 9 on my Greatest Show dvd. And various DVDs with just one or two on. Including Peter Miles signing my Genesis DVD twice as we were chatting he forgot he'd just signed it. 

Peter Miles is what i'd consider a grail of a signature given he only did 3 stories so i'm on the hunt for a signed copy of a story if i can land it, so i'm gonna have to avoid getting my copy of "Doctor who and the Silurians" signed for as long as possible until i can find one.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 2:40 AM, D-C-A said:

Peter Miles is what i'd consider a grail of a signature given he only did 3 stories so i'm on the hunt for a signed copy of a story if i can land it, so i'm gonna have to avoid getting my copy of "Doctor who and the Silurians" signed for as long as possible until i can find one.

Good luck with your search, hopefully it is successful.

More announcements to come on Friday, fingers crossed we have a few Doctor Who guests.

I'm part expecting Warwick Davis at some point to join the Ewok reunion. But I'm probably putting 2 and 2 to make 5

Karen Gillan would be nice as I'm sure she'd have finished promos for the new Guardians film by then

• Like 1

In anticipation of Friday's announcement we have a handful of comic related guests one with a strong connection to the TV series and another Big Finish audios.

firstly we have Mike Collins who along with a hefty number of Comic credits, has done storyboard work across 3 series of the TV Series, so if you want his signature on those, you'll need The Complete Ninth Series, The Complete Tenth Series, "Twice Upon a Time" and The Complete Eleventh Series, whilst he didnt storyboard all of the episodes in these series, he did the majority of Series 10, he is appearing every day and is £10 for his signature from memory.

Mike-Collins-Base-Image.jpg

Next we have Tony Lee, who is another comic writer with a large number of credits to his name but he's also a a small number of Big Finish audios to his name, from the Bernice Summerfield Series we have "Private Enemy No.1" from the first boxset and "Vesuvius Falling" from the Third Box set, with his Main range story being number 148 entitled "Rat Trap", hes appearing all days but i don't know his price as last time i had no money to get the CDs in time.

Tony-Lee-Base-Image.jpg

for me i'm going for Series 9 for Collins and i plan to get "Rat Trap" to be signed by Lee, so thats around 4 CDs i've had to get for this one con alone... oh god, what about everyone else.

So i went back and forth over this one, i do try and keep this and other forums as accurate as i can, something which is often difficult with Comic Guests unless they have a more easy to pin down connection, a lot of the guests who have purely worked on Comics are harder to nail because keeping track of the overall list is unreasonable, and this is comic from someone who cross references so much that i managed to locate two guests from names and research, and as is known in the community the Magazines especially the older ones are much more tricky to find compared to the likes of the DVDs, Blu Rays, CDs or even the older books, as i could mention the writer from a magazine from 1987 and the odds are that magazine would be impossible to find, so which is why i try to avoid adding them unless their signatures can be added to a DVD or CD.

this brings me to this entry Mark Buckingham, again a comic writer with no direct connection to the TV series, but one of his comics "Planet of the Rain gods" for which he was the artist was later adapted as "Rain Gods" a mini episode that is featured on The Complete Seventh Series, whilst i have debated if that is enough, via a technicality would make him a storyboard artist on said mini episode, therefore i'm adding him to this forum for Fellow Doctor who fans to enjoy, he is attending every day of the con, but again this one is so incredibly loose that even I may not get it, he doesn't have a price listed.

Mark-Buckingham-Base-Image.jpg

i would of course love to hear everyone's thoughts on this one, would you say this is too loose a connection or would you deem it strong enough? 

• Like 1

I'm very glad you included Mark Buckingham. 'Planet of The Rain Gods' is reproduced in 'The Brilliant Book 2012', so I'll probably meet Mark to get it signed.

I would say include anyone with a connection to the TV series. Better to include them & let whoever reads this thread decide the 'tenuocity' of the guest.

• Like 1

With regard to Mike Collins, personally I wouldn't get him to sign an episode or series related item, as I like to keep those for the cast.

He does feature on the CD 'Doctor Who At The BBC - The 10th Doctor', so I'd get him to sign that.

I'll see if he's selling any repo versions of one of his DW storyboards, and get him to sign one of those.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Geoff K said:

With regard to Mike Collins, personally I wouldn't get him to sign an episode or series related item, as I like to keep those for the cast.

He does feature on the CD 'Doctor Who At The BBC - The 10th Doctor', so I'd get him to sign that.

I'll see if he's selling any repo versions of one of his DW storyboards, and get him to sign one of those.

That's what I'd be looking at getting as well rather than a DVD. 

It's always nice to see a behind the scenes look at the show. Like Mike Tucker's unused design art prints

• Like 1

I've just noticed that the 'Doctor Who Festival Handbook' from the 2015 event at ExCel features a 'Scripts & Storybords' section, which has a couple of Michael Collins storyboards.

I'd have to break my rule of only getting event specific items signed at the actual event though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Geoff K said:

I've just noticed that the 'Doctor Who Festival Handbook' from the 2015 event at ExCel features a 'Scripts & Storybords' section, which has a couple of Michael Collins storyboards.

I'd have to break my rule of only getting event specific items signed at the actual event though.

I'll have to dig mine out and have a look as well

I have a record of all my Doctor Who autographs, listed by name of the cast/crew member, so I'm thinking I can just add a note to the relevant entry, such as 'Not signed at event'.

I was thinking of using a different coloured Sharpie, but of course I'd then have to remember to take that pen.

20 minutes ago, Geoff K said:

I have a record of all my Doctor Who autographs, listed by name of the cast/crew member, so I'm thinking I can just add a note to the relevant entry, such as 'Not signed at event'.

I was thinking of using a different coloured Sharpie, but of course I'd then have to remember to take that pen.

I've similar, but just a spreadsheet of current projects, books, DVDs and posters. I only have actors name and role/s at the moment apart from my 500 year diary where I have the show they signed.

I need to organise myself and catalogue my folders of 10 by 8's. These are organised by story though, so has some semblance of order at least.

The A5 cards Doctor Who magazine made for the 50th make excellent title pages for each section. Would be nice if they could do them for Ncuti and Jodie to complete the set.

• Like 1

I suppose it would be too expensive to get one of the DW artists at LFCC to do ones for Jodie & Ncuti for you if you wanted something that matched the ones you have.

There are some very talented fans doing DW art, so what about one of them?

• Like 1

so whilst today's big update didn't yield any doctor who guests in itself, the smaller guest announcements brought us two, infact a husband and wife duo as it happens.

firstly we have Michael Brandon, who on screen appeared in "The Stolen Earth" as General Sanchez of UNIT , so for that you'll need either Series 4 Volume 4, or a copy of The Complete Fourth Series, but he does have some audio credits to his name, for the Big Finish Main range we have entry 141. "Lurkers at Sunlights Edge" as CP Doveday and from "Jenny: The Doctors Daughter", he is in "Calamity Jenny" the third story from the Second Boxset "Still running", so a nice amount of variety to chose from, he is appearing on the Sunday Only and is £20.

MichaelBrandonWeb.png

Next we have his partner in crime, so to speak, Glynis Barber, who whilst only doing voice work in audios does have a nice selection, first she was Kathy Blake in the fourth Doctor adventures story 8.1 "The Sinestran Kill" and then as Nicholaa de la Haye in "The Outlaws" the first adventure from the First Doctor Adventures boxset "The Outlaws", so two stories to chose from, like her husband she is appearing on Sunday and is £20.

GlynisBarberWeb.png

so my choices are going to be the Series 4 boxset for Michael as i have a few on that set already, and then for Glynis i'll be going for "the Outlaws" as i happen to already have that set and it does save me from having to buy something, what about you guys?

*i feel that i'd be signing my name on the death warrant if i don't mention that Barber did also do Blakes 7, i've not watched that and i have no plans to.