Cameron Duncan

Cameron Duncan as you may know was mentioned by Paul Norell in The Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Ring talk on Saturday 1st May 2004. Cameron Duncan was a fan of Lord of the Rings and had the privalige of meeting the cast and the wonderful director we know as Peter Jackson along with Phillipa Boyens and Fran Walsh.

But on February 15, 2002 Cameron was delivered with terrible news, he had cancer. But Cameron was a young man with the hopes dreams and passions of every young New Zealander. His difference was that even before his cancer he had a drive that made him stand out as a person to watch.

His major interests were softball and film making,, both of which he kept an interest in to the end.

His final film "Strikezone" used softball as a medium to get his message about fighting for life through to the viewer.

In his time Cameron was fortunate to meet many of New Zealand's leading softballers.

Unfortantly on November 12, 2003 Cameron lost his battle against cancer. He was finally allowed to rest after such a long battle.

I'm writing this because Cameron was an inspiration to many young people also suffering from Cancer.

Below is a picture of Cameron dated February 2003

e1225b60.jpg

Please read this and think of Cameron when you next watch Return of the King and look out for his name at the end

.........In Memory of Cameron Duncan................

My thoughts go to his friends and family. Its a tragedy for somone to die so young.

I've just been to funeral myself. Death comes to us all. It is the job of the livng to preserve memories and learn from the experience of loosing a loved one.

'You carry a heavy burden, do not carry the weight of the Dead'

wise words

I have put up something on Paul's site about him, and if and when I have a domain of my own I think it would be appropriate to dedicate the site to Cameron.

It took me a while to actually post something on here because our family was recently hit with a similar tragedy.

My thoughts will always be with them.

God Bless

Rachel x

I have put up something on Paul's site about him, and if and when I have a domain of my own I think it would be appropriate to dedicate the site to Cameron.

It took me a while to actually post something on here because our family was recently hit with a similar tragedy.

My thoughts will always be with them.

God Bless

Rachel x

My thoughts and prayers are with you smaug. i have recently suffered a loss within my family also.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a reply today from Cameron's dad Rhys. And such a sweet man that he is. I wrote in the section I made about Sammy and Rhys kindly spoken about her in his reply. Below is the message

'hi Naurawen

so nice to get your message , Cameron has been such an inspiration to me and it does make me so proud to see that his legacy continues on , ,he did touch so many and every day i think about him and try to define what made him so special. What is good is that all the traits Cameron showed are in all of us , it is just a matter of bringing them all out, not being afraid to walk tall among your peers , be your own person , believe in yourself . He held his head high right to the end and will always be my shining light for the rest of my life, Camerons films told his story and even when he knew the chips were down he kept his dreams alive,He was still writing stories and dreaming dreams right up till the day he died,He had one wish "Not to be Forgotten" and as he said himself "he did a damn good job of that"

Also a thought for your friend Sammy whom i know Cameron would haved loved,

Adversity has a way of pulling people closer together, I have never been one to sit and say why ? but i am sure Sammy and Cameron know the answer , Life and all its mysteries are not always easy to understand but one thing i know is Cameron loved

everything about his life and enjoyed it as much as he possibly could and i plan to

continue in the same way he left off.

All the best Naurarwen

Love Rhys Duncan

Camerons Dad'

I'm guessing Sammy would have loved Cameron too. Its a pity that neither got to meet.

• 6 months later...

Hello to everybody,

Edoardo Rialti is writing to you, a 22 yeras old doctor of medieval and renaissance literature at the University of Florence.

During this year I’ve carried out, supported by a remarkable group of collaborators such a s prof. Domenichelli and Thomas Howard , the first academic italian collection of essays related to the writer J.R.R.Tolkien and his works. Our main aim was to provide, or at least try to, an academic approach to the study of this author, whose importance in Italy, has been too often regarded as a mere expression of just some issues which are definitely not enough to understand his works. The book we carried out and the related conferences turned out to be really appreciated and provided me the great pleasure to be responsible, next February, of an academic course at the Department of History, in which I am going to focus on the presence of Middle Ages in the literature of the nineteenth century, especially in the novels of Lewis, Tolkien, Williams and Calvino. This will be the first in Italy.

I'vè also worked with the dobblers of the Itlaina version of P.J Lord Of The Rings, and I'm writing to you because i was really impressed by Duncan's story in the Extended DVD And'I' wuld like to do something for Duncan's movie in my country, if I could do it.

If someone wuold be so gentle to send me an address where I can contact Duncan's relatives I will be honoured to write them all my sympathy.This is my university e-mail

rialti.e@virgilio.it

I beg you pardon my terrible english, but I'm writing my new tesis all day, and so there is grat confusion in my mind now.

Yours

Edaordo Rialti, University of Florence

Thank you for bringing this to forum light sam, I did write about him on my LJ, his story on the ROTK ee was very touching, it is really sad.

Makes you think about how lucky we really are, to have what we do have, even if it isn't loads.

*hugs all forumers*

love you all

x x x

OMG!!! He was my age when he died away... that really shows that anything can happen to anyone. I nearly died in a car crash around 6 months ago, and i thought i was luckly to be alive from that, but this is just so... 'woah'. I can't think of the words to describe it. That is so sad... i've watched the thing on the ROTK EE and it didn't strike me that it was the same person... God almighty im a fool... :D

Really do live each day as though it is your last, becauseit very well could be.

he was my age... it's scary to think that someone as young as me can be affected my something so harrowingly devastating as cancer. but it's amazing to think that someone my age can not only fight that battle to the bitter end, most likely knowing that he could not win, but that he did all that he could to get his positive attitude and message across to what will be millions of people across the globe as they purchase the rotk:ee dvd.

like we all know, it's not how long we have left, but what we do with the time that is given to us which is important.