Road closures West London

Wish I had know about this before I had booked the tickets and parking.

Can anybody tell me, a I can't follow the map in the link if you can actually get to Olympia by car on the Sunday? The way I normally drive will be closed so I need another route.

Have you tried AA Route Planner ?

One thing I don't understand is why you would need to drive there ? I mean I can appreciate that you have paid for your car parking, which I presume its non refundable ? , how ever is there another reason ?

Why I ask is if you really cant drive there why not get a train or the tube into London ? What I mean by that is drive to either your nearest Train station to London or your nearest Tube station. I'm not sure what direction your coming from so cant say what your nearest one is how ever I live down on the South Coast and when myself and my family spend the day in London we drive to our nearest Tube station which is Morden and tube it into London. Morden is a great place to park as there's a really good car park less than 5 mins walk away from the Tube station in fact you could almost say the car park is on top of the station ! The only down side is the fact that it could take any where from 3/4 of a hour to a hour to get into London but as long as you factor that in your journey time etc you shouldn't have to worry. If you think that Morden may be something you may look into doing its really easy to get to Kensington Olyp as Morden is at the end of the Northern line so catch any tube going and change at Clapham North for Clapham High Street ( its a easy walk between the Stations ) and then catch a Overground Train to Kensington Olympia :)

Just go to TFL web site and check out times etc

Just a idea :whistling:

I will be driving there because it is cheaper to drive and park than catch the train and about an hour quicker. It's also a lot harder to carry everything around rather than leaving it in the car until its needed.

Looks like I'm going underground for all three days. The walk from High street kensington on Friday is going to be interesting for me...

I'm doing the same on Friday, it's annoying but not too difficult. When you exit the station you just turn left and follow the road straight to Olympia which will be on the other side of the road. I'll try and hop on a bus if one is there and apparently Olympia is 3 stops from Kensington High Street Station.

Busses will also be effected by the road closures.

This is a big pain for me as I booked my hotel room months ago in central London as it was only a short cab ride to the show, no cabs now and a long hike to the nearest tube :(

The buses should be fine on Friday which is when we will need to use them as the tube line from Earl's court to Olympia doesn't operate during the week.

If I'm reading it correctly though, the ride is on Sunday.

https://d1ffaecguugkl4.cloudfront.net/ridelondon/live/uploads/cms_page_media/19/A5_West.pdf

Yes that's what I thought, so no road closures Saturday?

I'm staying at the Novotel London West so intend walking the 10 minutes to the Olympia along Hammersmith Road - that should be ok on Saturday shouldn't it?

https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/info-hub/road-closures/

There is stuff going on Saturday as well with road closures, but it looks to be in Central London, where as the Sunday one is the Surrey bit.

This link looks a bit easier to work out what is going on when. https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/ridelondon?cid=ridelondon

Edited by Raylenth

Wish I had know about this before I had booked the tickets and parking.

Can anybody tell me, a I can't follow the map in the link if you can actually get to Olympia by car on the Sunday? The way I normally drive will be closed so I need another route.

Have you tried AA Route Planner ?

One thing I don't understand is why you would need to drive there ? I mean I can appreciate that you have paid for your car parking, which I presume its non refundable ? , how ever is there another reason ?

Why I ask is if you really cant drive there why not get a train or the tube into London ? What I mean by that is drive to either your nearest Train station to London or your nearest Tube station. I'm not sure what direction your coming from so cant say what your nearest one is how ever I live down on the South Coast and when myself and my family spend the day in London we drive to our nearest Tube station which is Morden and tube it into London. Morden is a great place to park as there's a really good car park less than 5 mins walk away from the Tube station in fact you could almost say the car park is on top of the station ! The only down side is the fact that it could take any where from 3/4 of a hour to a hour to get into London but as long as you factor that in your journey time etc you shouldn't have to worry. If you think that Morden may be something you may look into doing its really easy to get to Kensington Olyp as Morden is at the end of the Northern line so catch any tube going and change at Clapham North for Clapham High Street ( its a easy walk between the Stations ) and then catch a Overground Train to Kensington Olympia :)

Just go to TFL web site and check out times etc

Just a idea :whistling:

I will be driving there because it is cheaper to drive and park than catch the train and about an hour quicker. It's also a lot harder to carry everything around rather than leaving it in the car until its needed.

I know what you mean, last year I drove early, parked at Olympia and walked straight in, a lot easier as in cosplay to. This cycle event is a real pain.

Edited by BlackhawkSP8
  • Like 1

Think I will cancel my parking, leave the car at home and get the National Express. I can't cope with trying to find a decent route round, no doubt will be chaos and I will be worried about missing out. Beware FOMO haha.