Replacement for Franks Autographs?

Tony1975

Timecare were looking good but then the website went down. I did email them asking what's going on and the reply said that they could take an order from me if I wanted. Weird that the site is still down though as it's been like that for ages now.

• Like 1

I've just last week invested in some 8x10 sized, acid-free Ultra Pro soft sleeves. I've collected autographed trading cards for over a decade now, and the convention with those is to keep them in those same rigid plastic holders (aka toploaders, though card sized) for physical protection (keeping the corners in good condition is a big thing with cards) but to use an intermediary soft sleeve for the long term protection from the acids in the plastic. I'm just so used to doing that with cards that I figured it was a good move with my small collection of 8x10s as well. I know it's not the popular opinion, but I do like the hard plastic toploaders. Ultra Pro produce a whole range of card protection and they extend to other sizes such as postcards and 8x10. They aren't expensive - it's about £2-£3 for a pack of 50, but they aren't very available in the UK, and the postage from the USA is high. I finally found a good seller in Germany with less than a fiver in postage. :D 

Site is http://www.docsmagic.de/50-Ultra-Pro-8-x-10-Soft-Sleeves-Photo-Foto-Postcards-Postkarten-Huellen-Cards_1 

As well as the protection from acid in the plastic, they also have a 'slippier' feel to the soft sleeves which makes inserting and removing your 8x10s from the toploaders SO MUCH easier, as they don't get stuck/cling to anything. One of the images I picked up at LFCC last year, a LOST image from Dominic Monaghan, is a far glossier paper than any of the others I have, and even in the convention it was super hard to get it into the toploader because it just got stuck to the plastic a third of the way in. When I took it back out, I had to pull it quite hard and try not to crease it.

Hope that helps anyone! ^_^

Edited by RichBDW
Updated with a direct link :)
  • Like 1

I sent an email to Conservation By Design, who are the guys who make everything that Franks and Timecare used to sell and got this reply:

"We do not have online ordering at the moment, but you can visit our website here http://www.conservation-by-design.com/home.aspx?pagename=home

And you can place orders over email. 

Kind regards,"

I might have to order some stuff soon so I'll let you know how it goes. Their email is info@cxdltd.com for anyone that wants to try.

• Like 1

I use "Elba" poly pockets for my autos.  As well as being acid-free, they have one design that is flared at the top making it really easy to insert and remove photos/docs.

From personal experience, the bog standard poly pockets are fine as long as you go for the acid-free type.

I have autos stored in cheapo pockets older than many of my fellow forum users and they look as fresh as the day they were signed!

• Like 1

I highly recommend familytreefolk.co.uk. They have a good range of acid free sleeves and files.

I ordered from them a few months ago as an alternative to Time Care and Franks Autographs and was happy with my order.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23 May 2017 at 1:17 PM, Wrong Name said:

I sent an email to Conservation By Design, who are the guys who make everything that Franks and Timecare used to sell and got this reply:

"We do not have online ordering at the moment, but you can visit our website here http://www.conservation-by-design.com/home.aspx?pagename=home

And you can place orders over email. 

Kind regards,"

I might have to order some stuff soon so I'll let you know how it goes. Their email is info@cxdltd.com for anyone that wants to try.

Out of interest have you ordered any stock from them yet?