Getting your own images for printing tips and help needed

Hey guys, just wondered what sort of size pixels are best when searching for your own images to have printed from photobox etc, everytime i upload a photo it says low quality image so want to try improve the image in photoshop or find the image i want as a bigger file. is that possible#?

any help and tips please?

thanks

Go to google.

Type in the name of the person you're searching for.

Click on images (near search box)

Go to search tools

Then choose large.

It'll list all the high resolution images on the internet:

eg https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=michael+j+fox&es_sm=119&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nPB1VeOBOoWbsgHkyID4Cg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=629#q=michael+j+fox&tbm=isch&tbs=isz:l

It can depend on how big an image you want really, the higher the pixels the sharper the image for bigger photos. One tip I can give is if you Google search an image you want, click on it so it appears in the middle of your screen and then you will see the option 'Search by image' next to the pixels size. Click on that and it will do another search just for that image and give you all sizes available in small, medium or large. Click on one of them like large and it will open up an image search for all the large images, from there you can choose the image with the best resolution.

I hope that makes sense?

Brilliant, thanks so much!! Really helped alot!

It can depend on how big an image you want really, the higher the pixels the sharper the image for bigger photos. One tip I can give is if you Google search an image you want, click on it so it appears in the middle of your screen and then you will see the option 'Search by image' next to the pixels size. Click on that and it will do another search just for that image and give you all sizes available in small, medium or large. Click on one of them like large and it will open up an image search for all the large images, from there you can choose the image with the best resolution.

I hope that makes sense?

was a great help, i found some high quality images in google by doing those steps you said and printed them off in boots which i took to milton keynes collectormania. the quality was pretty darn good i must say, better then i thought actually.

No problem, glad to be of help for you.

Yeah i have a few more that i want to get printed for london so will probably do them in a couple of weeks as the lineup keeps growing.

Got a few left to do myself, just waiting till closer to the event in case there are more annoucned...

Also, if your printer can hack it, make sure to change printer settings to MAX DPI printing, instead of just regular printer quality. It might take longer for the print to come through, but if you can do it yourself, you spare a lot of money

• Like 1

Yeah i considered doing my own, what paper would be best to use that wont fade etc over time? and its just getting the sizes/colours right in photoshop to print, but i bet it does save money in the long run

Also, if your printer can hack it, make sure to change printer settings to MAX DPI printing, instead of just regular printer quality. It might take longer for the print to come through, but if you can do it yourself, you spare a lot of money

Edited by teabelly83

Yeah i considered doing my own, what paper would be best to use that wont fade etc over time? and its just getting the sizes/colours right in photoshop to print, but i bet it does save money in the long run

We have a really good HP photoprinter so we just use the HP high quality photo paper and have had no issues with sharpie smudges or smearing, or fading for that matter. For safety, we do allow some time to "air dry" the ink before putting it in a folder... basically means we frantically wave it in the air for like a minute & then cover it with a piece of regular white paper before putting it in any kind of folder :P but we do this regardless of home-print or delivered print (call us a bit OCD :-) )

Edited by twinzz
  • Like 1

yeah places online you get the choice to print them glossy or matt, for the milton keynes show i printed 2 images off glossy in boots and they came out quite nice and the sharpie marker they signed with dryed pretty much straight away. just gotta remember to try and not touch the main part of the image to get finger marks on it. all my autos will be going in frames with borders sometime anyway.

• Like 1

some images look nicer with the glossy print effect too actually. thoughts?

If I get images printed, I usually only get a couple done and get them in both Matt and Glossy then decide which looks better and use that one. As you say, it can be different depending on the image. Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

nice idea that, think i might print both types off and see how they both look

some images look nicer with the glossy print effect too actually. thoughts?

If I get images printed, I usually only get a couple done and get them in both Matt and Glossy then decide which looks better and use that one. As you say, it can be different depending on the image.

• Like 1