Oyster Card Advice

Coming from Glasgow myself i understand. I always feel when I leave London that you're back to reality again.London seems like a little bubble that is unlike anywhere else in the UK and I guess for people there that is their reality. It's very money driven too, i remember riding the trains and I'd never seen so many people well dressed before lol. You start buying into this illusion that's in front of you, you start looking at the clean pavements and roads and the upper class women that are out jogging at 6am and you think wow......must be cool to live here! it's only when you enter and leave and you start to see all those tenement buildings as far as the eye can see and the amount of people that must crammed into them that you start to realise it's not that different than up here. The people in them no doubt are working hard for a better life which is what we all do really. I think a lot of people there probably do just keep themselves to themselves.

Up here in Glasgow we are known for being very helpful but we get mocked for our accent so I always feel that sometimes when I go to another place and lets be honest England is another country, there is no UK, come September that will be a fact but I always watch what I say so that they understand me but you can't make people talk to you. I think with the English people and the same with the Welsh and Irish, they talk in their native tongue all the time but of course we get a lot of stick for it. If you come from Edinburgh or Fife it's fine. It's just Glasgow that gets all the fuss but then again we have personality, something that severely is lacking elsewhere in Scotland. I'd like to think for anyone travelling up here that if they asked for help that people in our city would be glad to help them. The last time I went to London for LFCC was 2012 and I got there early, not at the show but in London. I think it was about 6am and I remember come 9am it was still deserted. Just tourists walking around and I'd seen all the usual sights. It was a bit lonely. I remember having to perk myself up to go the convention and if you know me and you Scottish people that is no easy feat. I don't even know if i'm going this year or not, i'm thinking about it. I'd only be going for George Romero so it's a 9 hour bus ride so if i go i need to pick a day, probably sunday and mentally prepare for it lol.

Hehe, it is the other way round for us Londoners! Back to reality when we come back from somewhere outside London! Hope you are all nice in Glasgow, coming there for a few days in July! Btw, I love the scottish accent!

I don't drive so use my oyster regularly (worn a couple out as well). You will never be charged more the cost of a one day travelcard. The cap is dependent on the time you first use your card that day. After 9:30am Monday to Friday plus anytime on the weekend, will be £8.50.

I have a network railcard which gives me 1/3rd off mainline trains - which paid for itself in a single trip - but it also give you 1/3rd off a one day travel card at the weekend. So it only costs me £5.90.

Which is daft when a single trip from zone 1 to zone 4 (no discount) costs £5.70!

Cannot use the railcards with oyster cards though, which is a shame! But the cost of travelling round London tends to be cheaper by oyster than a paper ticket, but caps are the same as a paper travelcard. I have one myself for when I am travelling with my kids, makes a journey with two adults and four kids so much cheaper.

I don't drive so use my oyster regularly (worn a couple out as well). You will never be charged more the cost of a one day travelcard. The cap is dependent on the time you first use your card that day. After 9:30am Monday to Friday plus anytime on the weekend, will be £8.50.

I have a network railcard which gives me 1/3rd off mainline trains - which paid for itself in a single trip - but it also give you 1/3rd off a one day travel card at the weekend. So it only costs me £5.90.

Which is daft when a single trip from zone 1 to zone 4 (no discount) costs £5.70!

Cannot use the railcards with oyster cards though, which is a shame! But the cost of travelling round London tends to be cheaper by oyster than a paper ticket, but caps are the same as a paper travelcard. I have one myself for when I am travelling with my kids, makes a journey with two adults and four kids so much cheaper.

You can - or at least with most types of railcards. You have to go and register your card at a ticket office for them to put the discount on for you; but then you get discount on top of the already discounted oyster fares.

Did this with my 16-25 Railcard.

Last time I was in London friend told me to get oyster card. Its great thing, cheaper then usual ticket from place A to place B. This year we will get it too becuase we will be visiting some sights too.
And yes London underground can be confusing. I remember when we first got to Wesminster station, I think (the one near Parliament). I felt lost and confused and it was during paralympic games so there was extra pink line=more confusing. But this year we have all that covered, maps from last visit are ready and I think we now know what can we expect during our travels in London :D

• 3 weeks later...

Up here in Glasgow we are known for being very helpful but we get mocked for our accent so I always feel that sometimes when I go to another place and lets be honest England is another country, there is no UK, come September that will be a fact but I always watch what I say so that they understand me but you can't make people talk to you. I think with the English people and the same with the Welsh and Irish, they talk in their native tongue all the time but of course we get a lot of stick for it. If you come from Edinburgh or Fife it's fine. It's just Glasgow that gets all the fuss but then again we have personality, something that severely is lacking elsewhere in Scotland. I'd like to think for anyone travelling up here that if they asked for help that people in our city would be glad to help them.

I asked for help in Glasgow once. I was headbutted, injected with Heroin then deep fried.

Every time I've gone to the SECC and worked at a show I've looked for somewhere selling deep fried Mars bars and I was out of luck - not sure though given your experience if you had worse luck than I did :whistling:

• Moderators

If you have registered it online then you can find out on your account there, otherwise you can find out either at a ticket machine or watch the little screen next to the reader when you exit the tube as it will tell you your remaining balance there.

If you have registered it online then you can find out on your account there, otherwise you can find out either at a ticket machine or watch the little screen next to the reader when you exit the tube as it will tell you your remaining balance there.

Great, thank you :)