Favourite sub genre within Horror

Indiana

Just trying to breathe some life into the rotting corpse that is the horror section!

So, lets get a discussion going. What are your favourite and least favourite sub genres within horror, and why?

As many know, Halloween is my all time favourite movie, so I love the stalk and slash films, but what Halloween has over the others is a element of the supernatural, another of my favourite sub genres, as reflected in one of my other favourite movies of all time, The Haunting (1963).

I also love the classic Universal Monster movies, they are so iconic and their use of gothic buildings, fantastic monsters, and German expressionistic lighting is fantastic. This is why I'm not a big fan of the Hammer films, which I felt over did things with the blood and T&A. (Not saying I dislike all Hammer, I loved Twins of Evil, Hands of the Ripper and their more original output, just not a fan of their interpretations of the Universal monsters).

Sub genres that I don't really care for: Silly/ridiculous horror like Killer Klowns, that kind of thing. I don't see this as horror at all. Torture films, glad they died out quickly, and, Paranormal Activity aside, I'm growing tired of the weaker end of the found footage films.

• Like 1

I've always loved a good slasher/supernatural horror, but I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned creature feature. Anything with a monster/alien type thing and I'm pretty much sold. Not much into Sci-fi movies as a whole, but Carpenters 'The thing' and the original 79 Alien movie still set the standard. I'm also a huge fan of 'the Mist' and would love the rumoured TV series to go ahead.

Hearing good things about a movie called Blood Glacier which is coming soon.

• Like 1

Pretty much what Matthewman said..

I'm not a Sci-Fi fan in general but I love the horror cross-overs such as Aliens and The Thing. I do practical FX so good old creature features from the 80s and 90 have inspired me into what I work for.

I don't do favourites but I do get a kick out of genuine paranormal/haunted films that are left to your imagination. I loved watching the original Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity in the cinemas. The sequels never produced that same thrill I got, especially how Paranormal Activity progressed.

I like horror comedies too. Some work, some don't. Attending the first Scary Movie premiere in London was one of the best audience experiences ever!

Edited by Graphic_Delusions

Slashers and creature features are my faves. Friday the 13ths, The Burning, My Bloody Valentine 81, The Thing, Humanoids from the Deep. i am tired of found footage and zombie movies though. I also like nature run amok flicks like kingdom of the spiders, in fact im about to watch my blu ray of Day of the Animals now.

Here's a link my youtube channel showing all horror memorabillia if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94qrOAsEGHs&list=UUF31s8ioY0tX26oKsCoPHhg&feature=share

Supernatural Horrors for me, especially ghost stories. A huge fan of horror comedy too if its done right. e.g Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, Night of the Creeps the Waxwork films, Gremlins, Tremors where you can tell the film makers have a genuine love of the genre.

Though Found Footage/Mockumentary was over done in a quick succession there are some great ones out there with Blair Witch you get out of it what your imagination puts into it and that's a great thing. Ghost watch freaked me out when I first saw it (and still sends shivers now) Noroi was a great film and Cannibal Holocaust was so far ahead of its time.

My least favourite sub genre is Torture don't read, mods please delete. It's not for me at all.

Here's a link my youtube channel showing all horror memorabillia if anyone is interested.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94qrOAsEGHs&list=UUF31s8ioY0tX26oKsCoPHhg&feature=share[/media]

Always nice to see another fellow OCD'r who alphabetizes their DVD's lol. Nice collection BTW.

Cheers mate. and to the poster above - "Night of the Creeps" and "Waxwork" are great 80s movies. Edited by cropsy2008
  • Like 1

Nice one Cropsy, yeah I think it's just the affection the directors have for the genre really shine through in those films which make it more infectious for the viewer too. Was lucky enough to get my Waxwork dvd signed by David Warner and John Rhys Davies at Cardiff last month. Night of the Creeps is great, it was done by the same director who did Monster Squad which was another of my fave horror comedies growing up, you can really tell the director loves his Universal monster movies and B movies.

Nice one Cropsy, yeah I think it's just the affection the directors have for the genre really shine through in those films which make it more infectious for the viewer too. Was lucky enough to get my Waxwork dvd signed by David Warner and John Rhys Davies at Cardiff last month. Night of the Creeps is great, it was done by the same director who did Monster Squad which was another of my fave horror comedies growing up, you can really tell the director loves his Universal monster movies and B movies.

yeah "The Monster Squad" is another great one from him, its one of my favourite blu rays that. The less said about Decker's "Robocop 3" the better though lol.

yeah "The Monster Squad" is another great one from him, its one of my favourite blu rays that. The less said about Decker's "Robocop 3" the better though lol.

I really wish there was a decent Bluray release of Monster Squad (not that bare bones release), I still have my 2 disc USA DVD with slipcase.

Also Waxwork too, I can't believe neither distributors like Scream Factory or Arrow have picked it up. With that said, I love my german Dragon DVD release. Might have to get that signed by David Warner if he comes back to an event.

Edited by Graphic_Delusions

Is the 2 disc the one with Monster Squad Forever documentary on it? That was such a great doc, was sad to learn that the actor who played Horace died so young though.

Arrow are doing some great retro stuff at the mo so waxwork would be a perfect fit for them.

Always astonished me that you could never get the Waxwork sequel Lost in Time on UK Dvd. I think Lost in Time is a cracking film and deserves to be seen more.

Is the 2 disc the one with Monster Squad Forever documentary on it? That was such a great doc, was sad to learn that the actor who played Horace died so young though.

Yes that's right. 2 DVDs for the 20th Anniversary release with the 5 part documentary (over an hour long). I too only found out about Horace's premature death by watching that doc.

Always astonished me that you could never get the Waxwork sequel Lost in Time on UK Dvd. I think Lost in Time is a cracking film and deserves to be seen more.

Agreed!

I own this german release from Dragon (pic below). I really don't like the artwork used, I think it was originally used for the movie From Beyond.

waxwork2.jpg

• Like 1

I have the us Waxwork/Waxwork 2 douldle feature dvd. part 2 is a great follow up though its a shame Deborah Foreman didn't come back. There is a "The Monster Squad" blu ray with all th special features put out by lionsgate as i own it. It goes for alot of money but the canadian disc ( same disc just different rights) can be found cheaper. Its region free as well so will work on all uk blu ray players.

Edited by cropsy2008
  • Like 1

I have the us Waxwork/Waxwork 2 douldle feature dvd. part 2 is a great follow up though its a shame Deborah Foreman didn't come back. There is a "The Monster Squad" blu ray with all th special features put out by lionsgate as i own it. It goes for alot of money but the canadian disc ( same disc just different rights) can be found cheaper. Its region free as well so will work on all uk blu ray players.

Do you mean this one?

61LzLuwz7IL.png

I read that it's a bare bones release, not worthy of an upgrade to what I already have.

Yes that's right. 2 DVDs for the 20th Anniversary release with the 5 part documentary (over an hour long). I too only found out about Horace's premature death by watching that doc.

Agreed!

I own this german release from Dragon (pic below). I really don't like the artwork used, I think it was originally used for the movie From Beyond.

waxwork2.jpg

If I remember correctly the VHS cover was very similar, only more tones of red. I could very well be wrong though as I think I was only fourteen when I rented it so would have been twenty years ago. I remember it bugging me slightly that the cover bore little semblance to the film itself but I guess the same could be said about a load of horror video covers. That could be a great thread in itself, best VHS sleeves

Do you mean this one?

61LzLuwz7IL.png

I read that it's a bare bones release, not worthy of an upgrade to what I already have.

no mate thats the recent Olive release like you said no features ( but better artwork) Lionsgate put out this version about 5/6 years back with all the special features

2mo78yu.jpg

its rarer though.

Edited by cropsy2008

I have the Waxwork double feature too; could do with upgrading it though.

• Like 1