Autograph question from a newbie

So I'm no stranger to conventions but it'll be my first time on a Showmasters convention and I believe it will be the biggest I've ever attended. I'm only coming for one day (sunday) and there are quite some guests I'd like to meet. I'm not a photoshoot kind of guy, so I'm mainly talking about autographs. Would you consider it possible to meet about 20 actors in a day (I've got an early bird ticket)? I'm especially worrying about the bigger names like Peter Dinklage, who will have quite a queue. It would be a real pity if I wouldn't get a chance to meet him, but on the other hand I don't want to miss out on 10 other guests because I've been standing in line for him all day. So, does anyone have any experience with visiting so many guests and is it true that sundays are quieter?

• Like 1

Well with the idea of standing in line for peter's auto you actually get a VT ticket from his queue and then go back when your number is called. And sundays are quieter but my personal advice advice would be to get there at least half an hour before opening time to get a good place in the queue to get in and head straight for the 'bigger guests', so go straight to peter dinklage get his VT then go to the next bigger guest and so on. Some guests wont have a VT so you can go meet them straight away. I would say it is doable if you can be there most of the day just in case if one of your VTs is higher than say 400. Hope that helped :)

• Like 1

I think some people have met more than 20 in one day, so definitely doable. As already said, get your VT tickets for the bigger guests the moment you arrive and then from there just manage your time wisely and you will more than likely manage it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies, I'll be there fairly early :) I'll be there most of the day so let's hope I'll succeed in meeting those I want to meet ^^

Out of curiosity, do you expect Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks to be big guests? I'm pretty sure Peter Dinklage, Linda Hamilton and Sarah Wayne Callies will be. But since the Stargate and Star Trek actors do quite a bit of conventions...

In the days before I used to buy gold passes I'd be queueing outside the venue by at least 715am but that was normally on the Saturday rather than the Sunday. As said above you'll certainly need to be outside early and get in to get your VTs asap. Personally I wouldnt even attempt it wthout a gold pass but then I just cant do queues, hassle and running around for VTs anymore.

Jonathan now that you use gold pass how long would you say you spend queuing for a bigger guest??

Tbh really no time at all. If I base it on last years EMS as soon as I walked in the door and received my Gold Pass I headed straight for the Matt Smith queue. If Matt had arrived on time then Id have been in that queue no more than 10 minutes which I would say is the amount of time I was in the queue once he started signing until it got to my turn. So basically as there will never normally be 20-50 (at a push) people in front of you at any one time then you shouldnt wait no more than 10-15 minutes at a guest providing they are not slow. people like Robert Englund and John Rhys Davies for example take time with each guest and chat regardless which can obviosuly hold up your waiting time and the odd guest could always be like this but no 'big' guest (Jenna Louise Coleman, Bille Piper, peter Dinklage, Gillian Anderswon, maybe Sugar Ray Leonard, Shanks, Tapping etc etc) will have the time for this and will always be hurried along most likely with no posed photos or no photos at all. so really you shouldnt be waiting all that long at all in my experience...but only if the guest is on time and gets themselves in gear which was not the case at all with Mike Tyson last year lol!! But once signing commenced it was nice and quick.

Edited by jonathan

I always say that if you can afford it then it's well worth the investment. I used to find the events so stressful dashing about for VTs and travelling to the venue before the crack of dawn...it started to take the joy out of it for me. I gave the gold pass a go and now I can never be without it. Especially as I am an obsessive collector and often get many many items signed by some guests so where the VT system is in place and you are limited to 5 items without a gold pass Id have to hang around and keep queueing over and over to get all my items signed.

For me it's well worth the money just to keep my blood pressure and stress levels in check for the weekend events lol

• Moderators

I'm doing the Saturday at CM19 next week as my first show, so am going to try cram a whole weekends worth of guests into 7 hours its my intention to buy a gold pass on arrival so il get to test drive one before LFCC and fit everything into the one day

Micheal is normally busy. Amanda probably will be more so as she hasn't attended this type of event for a while.

That and both are really chatty. That means even if the lines should not be as long as for a first time guest it might just take as much time for you to get through the line.

Thank you all very much for your replies. They were very helpful :) I do have one more questions about the VT tickets. I'll illustrate it with an example. Say you're attending the convention the whole weekend. You go and get your Peter Dinklage VT on saturday but are so busy attending talks, checking out the shops, visiting other guests and you really don't feel tlike standing in line. Can you still use that VT ticket on sunday? In other words, do they continue where they left of or start from zero again? Just curious really :)

And if they'll add many more interesting guests, some tough choices will have to be made :(