Video Game guests

marktimelord

It's come up on the topic of voice actors that it would be great to get guests like David Hayter, Cam Clarke etc.

Just wondering if anyone else out there would be interested in people from the world of gaming, personally I'd like to see the folowing people attend...

Hideo Kojima - creator of Metal Gear Solid

Shigeru Miyamoto - creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi - composer of tons of classic soundtracks and theme songs

Charles Martinett - voice of Mario and lots of other characters

Dominik Diamond - presenter of classic tv series Games Master!

if there is a demand maybe SM can make it happen, what do other people think?

It's come up on the topic of voice actors that it would be great to get guests like David Hayter, Cam Clarke etc.

Just wondering if anyone else out there would be interested in people from the world of gaming, personally I'd like to see the folowing people attend...

Hideo Kojima - creator of Metal Gear Solid

Shigeru Miyamoto - creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi - composer of tons of classic soundtracks and theme songs

Charles Martinett - voice of Mario and lots of other characters

Dominik Diamond - presenter of classic tv series Games Master!

if there is a demand maybe SM can make it happen, what do other people think?

I would love to meet Charles Martinett and Shigeru Miyamoto, but I don't think Miyamoto speaks a whole lot of English, unfortunately.

Can't say I would go for them particularly, would be tempted to meet Kojima if he attended and I'd imagine he would be quite popular as when he does signings at a store it is only for an hour or two.

Would definitely be interested in meeting some video game guests though, either voice actors or developers such as Ken Levine or the BioWare doctors.

Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa did a signing at a well known music store on Oxford Street (see moderators I'm not advertising) when Peace Walker was releasedon the PSP.

My Japanese doesn't extend much beyond hello, please and thank you and thats what I used when meeting Kojima! Still be worth it to meet the great man Miyamoto even if just to get his autograph.

Where did you meet Hideo Kojima?

Edited by Mark - Last of the Time Lords

It sounds like a good idea, but I must admit, from a personal perspective, when playing games on live I don't know of anyone who has really looked into who made them or did designs and stuff, its more about just playing the game to them. I know that there could be a huge market in some places, such as Korea, where you can become famous simply from being a gamer, as they're usually very serious about their jobs.

I think the fanbase could be there but not sure if its a big enough thing just yet. I mean technology is always evolving and stuff too so I dunno that could help :)

Edited by Chantelliosis

When I attended the signing event for Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker there were over 500 people for a 2 hour event including tons of cosplayers and people who had been camping out for two days to ensure they were first in line, I waited nearly five hours myself!

Plus if you check out the Metal Gear photo albums on a well known social networking site (see moderators I'm good at not advertising) you will see this is not isolated to one particular country or continent.

The last few years an event has been run specifically for Sonic the Hedgehog here in england and his creators have attended that and drawn large crowds.

So I would say there is defintely a market and video game fans are just as likely to have indepth knowledge of who makes their products as anyone interested in tv and film knows who the actors are portraying their favourite characters.

Please understand I wasn't just saying it only applies to a specific country or continent. I used Korea as an example as I had saw a documentary about how some of the hugest celebrities amongst teenagers in Korea are actually worldwide gamers, which is why I think that its bigger in some places than others.

And I don't mean that gamers don't have knowledge about the creators etc, it was simply me giving my opinion based on how an average teenage gamers thinks. I think im speaking for your average because I'm just outta school .. sorta, and even my friends who are slightly older gamers never even mention the people involved, just the game itself. You did ask for opinions in the first post, my opinion is simply that I don't know if it would work.

I only think this way because i know that whenever a new game is out I see all this news about the game and not a lot about the creators and voice artists etc, which sort of leads me to think this way :) I'm not gunna bother getting into a heated debate about it :D

Apologies my post wasn't meant to sound heated. I just used exclamation marks to get across how shocked I was at the size of the audiences at the events I mentioned. Absolutley no offence meant and you made some very good points.

haha i was thinking 'is he intentionally being mean or just really wanting to express something' :drunk: no worries dude :)

I'd LOVE to see more video game guests, particularly the Metal Gear ones you mentioned. I agree to a certain extent that most people don't know the makers of video games, with the exception of Hideo Kojima. But the voice actors do have a lot of fans. People like Steve Blum, Nolan North, Cam Clarke etc are true videogame legends. Again though, a lot of people when asked if they would meet voice actors simply rhyme off a list of mainstream actors who have dipped into video game work. I wouldn't exactly call Michael Madsen a videogame voice-actor, based purely on playing Tanner in Driver. Or Patrick Stewart.

I would love to meet any voice actors from Silent Hill, Metal Gear, or the mo-cap folk from the early Mortal Kombats.

Cam Clarke would be great. I know what you mean I was leaning more towards the poeple who are known for voice acting rather than well known actors who happen to do voice work as well. Not knocking their contribution but it would be nice to see more recognition for all the talented people who specalise in voice work.

Cam Clarke would be great. I know what you mean I was leaning more towards the poeple who are known for voice acting rather than well known actors who happen to do voice work as well. Not knocking their contribution but it would be nice to see more recognition for all the talented people who specalise in voice work.

Cam Clarke is an amazing Liquid Snake. If were talking Voice Actors Dan Green, Eric Stuart and Sean Schemmel (May have mispelt his name) are all brilliant.

Video guests I'd like to meet:

Seth Green (Family Guy Game & Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3)

Hayden Panettiere (The Mark of Kri & Kingdom Hearts Series)

David Boreanaz (Kingdom Hearts & Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Fairuza Balk (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City & Lords of Everquest)

Daniel Dae Kim (Saints Row 2, Avatar: Last Airbender 24: The Game & Scarface)

Mayim Bialik (X-Men 2: Wolverine's Revenge)

Masi Oka (Driver 76 & Cars Mater-National)

Jena Von Oy (Lands of Lore 3)

Milo Ventimiglia (X:Men Destiny)

Kirsten Bell (Assasins Creeds Trilogy & Astro Boy)

Iyari Limon (Dead Space, Dead Space: Extradition & L.A. Noire)

They have an enormous talent when it comes to performing a wide variety of voices. It's what they've been trained for. Regular actors may act well, but it's likely just the same voice they always use. I remember watching a documentary on the DVD of TMNT about "the voice talent" from the movie. There was no mention of the 4 talented voice-actors who played the turtles, but they did spend plenty of time interviewing Patrick Stewart and Sarah Michelle Gellar (the big names). I had to laugh when Stewart said he loved how voice work gave freedom to be as wild and different as you like (it then proceeded to play a clip from the movie in which his character spoke in the exact way Stewart speaks in everyday life).

I did read an interview with a voice actor (I won't name him on here) and he said voice actors don't tend to enjoy working alongside token celebs who just come in and talk in their regular voices. I guess they view it as these people thinking they can come in and slum it while the hard work they have been doing for years goes unrecognised.

Its a real balancing act in my opinion as sometimes you hear a well known star doing a voice and it just doesn't fit the character. I'm not saying this is true in all cases but sometimes it can be very distracting.