Should I bring my own pics to be autographed?

Hi again everybody, just a little query, has anybody ever had an experience where a star your meeting for an autograph doesn't have as good of a pic as you are hoping for and if this is the case would you advise my to pre purchase my own or just hope the free ones are good enough?

P.S NOT LONG NOW... EEEK!

• Moderators

I'd say 95% of the time I've used the ones that Showmasters offer.

I'd say if you want something either very specific (i.e. of them in a certain costume or whatever) or from a slightly more obscure show/film than the one they're mainly known for, then you'd be best bringing your own for that guest.

There should be stalls selling 8x10s too if you get there and decide you want something different.

if you have something really specific in mind - then yes bring your own.

There are several dealer stalls to get pictures from - but even they are limited with what they can bring.

Michelle

And in contrast, about 95% of the time I bring my own things these days.

I tend to make up photos myself on Photoshop, which is always a talking point, or bring DVD covers. Very rarely do I use a picture supplied, mostly because of what you said, at times I had gotten there and the pictures weren't as good as I'd hoped. I'd rather not rely on anyone other than me, and I know I can make good photos :lol:

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Moderators

I tend to make up photos myself on Photoshop, which is always a talking point, or bring DVD covers. Very rarely do I use a picture supplied, mostly because of what you said, at times I had gotten there and the pictures weren't as good as I'd hoped. I'd rather not rely on anyone other than me, and I know I can make good photos :blush:

Do you find that's the case with all guests? Or because of the nature of the ones you particularly like?

I could understand it with a lot of the Doctor Who guests for example. Just wondered if it was mainly those, or all? :lol:

Out of all the people I've met, there has only been 1 guest that didn't have pictures I liked. Guests like Karen though I have already bought the ones I want as I know I will probably treasure it for years to come so don't want it to be one where she was in the background.

Group shots, like the doctor who series 6 opener I got at the stalls at Collectormania 17 because as soon as I saw it I knew I'd want Alex and Karen to sign it...

If I were you, I'd bring my own pics if you want something specific. Last year at LFCC, I would have liked Dante Basco to sign something from Hook, but there wasn't any picture from this film at the desk, so had to take another :/

Never been unhappy with the choice at the desk really. Maybe once or twice but I'm usually not going for a group shot and getting something from the thing the guest is most known for so there's usually something I like.

But as others have said, if you want something very specific or from a less well known film/show you might be best trying to find something in advance.

generally speaking I think the picture selection only becomes a problem the later in the day you get

Scott Bakula had run out of Quantum Leap shots, Sean Maguire had run out of Krod Mandoon and The Phelps twins had no pics left at all....

Can happen so bringing your own stuff cant hurt

I was quite surprised to not see any Tron photos on Bruce Boxleitner's table. I guess he could have run out, but I thought it was such a popular movie, that he would have had at least two different photos from that movie. He even had a Tron shirt on. I settled for a Babylon 5 photo - even though I have never seen that series.

I like to make my own too, at least for the Doctor Who guests. And also, since they were both shot at the same studios around the same time, a lot of the minor Star Wars guests were in Space:1999 which is another of my fave shows, so I have quite a big collection for that too. Sometimes they do help to start a conversation with a guest, which is always handy.

carolinejohn01.jpg

catherineschell1999.jpg

My main targets at SM shows are usually the Star Trek guests, and I did go through a brief phase of making my own pics for them, but for some reason I much prefer just getting a standard 10x8 at the show for them. My Trek photos pretty much sucked, except for these two;

smallIMG_0009.jpg

daxes.jpg

I tend to make up photos myself on Photoshop, which is always a talking point, or bring DVD covers. Very rarely do I use a picture supplied, mostly because of what you said, at times I had gotten there and the pictures weren't as good as I'd hoped. I'd rather not rely on anyone other than me, and I know I can make good photos :D

Do you find that's the case with all guests? Or because of the nature of the ones you particularly like?

I could understand it with a lot of the Doctor Who guests for example. Just wondered if it was mainly those, or all? :blush:

I do find it's the case with most guests i'm interested in. Since I met people from Alien 3, Back to the Future, and some others, I realised that the best ones on offer on the day, tended to be a screenshot blown up to 8x10, whereas I like to have an 8x10 that consists of smaller higher quality images, and the logo from the film or whatever, and I tend to put the actor and characters name on it, in the same font as the movie logo or something along those lines. I've been doing it for a few years now, and like I say, it's always a talking point, and on a few occasions the actor has wanted to spare copy of the photo for themselves :blush:

Plus like has been said, it's good to do if you want something specific signed. For David Warner at the last event, I made up a Twin Peaks photo, which I knew he wouldnt have any of, and had a great conversation with him about the show

Edited by JacknDaniel