some things i feel we need to share with the fans

showmasters

Fraud is also similar to theft- and if you're duplicating something to use for your own gain, I'm sure you see where I'm going with that.

Plenty of people have no qualms using a cash machine that's accidentally dispensing £20s instead of £10s. But that's instinctive, rather than premeditated unlike this case.

OT, but you'll know - If you are parking your car and someone leaving gives you a ticket valid for a few more hours is that fraud? The time has been paid for.

Cash machine- simple theft, unless you had no knowledge and just don't count your money, or you were intending to contact the bank/atm provider in order to return it. Though I'm not sure much is often done about it- sure I've heard in the media somewhere that the extra was taken out of people's accounts in the end. Most people I'd imagine get away with it.

For the parking ticket- I can't see it's a crime in any way, unless you've pinched it from someone! However, would need to check T+Cs about transferability.

Unfortunatly though - when you have several price tiers in operation and some people having more than others - a system that open to abuse is going to be abused.

Even more unfortunately, it could mean SM eventually re-think things and go the way of other organisers by having one go in the autograph room per person only all weekend. The way I'd do it is to have a tick list printed on the back of the badges, so it's a lot less harder to duplicate, and not too difficult. May cost more for the badges, but saving money in the long run from less people faking it.

Though quick note for SM- when I went to Bitten, Standard passes badges ran out, and Silver passes were being used, but scribbled on with marker. For mine, the marker managed to come off either in my hand or in my pocket- either way, it went quite quickly. I bought the photoshoots I wanted, but I can imagine a fair whack of people would have claimed a lost photopass thingy. Need super duper marker pens in the future!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything that has been said but the only thing I would like addressed is the exec lounge access.

I have had lounge access for the past two cons and never approached a guest if I have seen them

If I have an exec room, I expect to be allowed in the lounge. I like having the upgrade and getting the free drinks/food etc.

If it means you guys having to put the guests in a suite for thier breakfast/downtime, i'd prefer that......

Same here, between me and my friends we had a suite and some exec rooms. We never ever apprached the guests in there, but said hello if they were getting food/drink at the same time as us. We use the lounge for the food and drink and to chill.

Tbh i thought the lounge was filled up with much older business people who probably had no idea what twilight even was!! It was rammed on the saturday night, and it definately wasn't full of fans!!

Eeek my first con will be et6 and got to say all this happening has kind of put me off. Like my *wife* says, its not the type of people i want to be spending the weekend with :(

x

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I was around all weekend and didn't know that any of this was happening. I got an idea when I was asked in my photoshoot as I got the front of the line to show my pass as well as give in my extra photo voucher "just in case I was a standard trying to sneak in an extra photo" but overall I had a great weekend and it's definitely the minority that try to take advantage.

• Moderators

It really is a very small minority, and ME have only mentioned it because they don't want it ruined for 99% of the attendees who are respectful and simply enjoy themselves within the boundaries of the convention.

I wouldn't let anyone be put off by it.

I agree with the comments above about access to the Executive Lounge. ET5 was the first time I've booked this and I did it for use of the facilities, rather than to bump into the guests. If I've paid for an executive room, I expect to be treat the same as the non-con guests staying in a similar room--I don't think it's fair to stop access just because I'm a convention goer. Isn't that kind of discriminatory and pinning me as a stereotype?

I would never dream of hassling one of the actors in there. Not all Twilight fans are crazed nuts; some of us are quite capable of being rational human beings, even around the objects of our idolatry. Put me around those scrambled eggs though, or the coffee machine, and I turn into a drooling mess. I don't think I could ever enjoy a con without that from now on--even if I did gain 3 pounds through it.

I think it should be a case of setting an example via those who have taken advantage, to deter others rather than punishing the innocent. How about putting a sticker with a number on the photo/autograph cards? Then, like someone said above, they could be ticked off the list, and they would be harder to copy. If you get someone claiming more photos than they're entitled to, then you have the guilty culprit and you can punish them accordingly. Keeping the photos back would be a start.

The marking off on the pass itself seems like a good idea. After all, if you're wearing it all of the time, this shouldn't be a problem. Were there different colours for different pass holders? I can't remember seeing any different to my own.

All in all, I'll be pretty p'd off if a minority spoiled this for the rest of us. I'm probably not going to ET6 (unless I discover a money tree in the time being) but I have friends who are, and I'd be pretty upset for them if they didn't have the same experience I had.

I don't honestly know how people could do that-its disgusting and so unfair to the rest of us who were honest and played by the rules. I was with Holly and she generally lost her photo shot card and it makes so angry to think other got their for free when she had to pay for extras! :(

• Showmasters Admin

Nothing that we will implement to stop these things from having will have an overly adverse effect on regular attendees. The last thing we want is for the 97% of people that stay within the rules feel they are being persecuted for the actions of the 3%.

People may notice more checking of badges, there maybe more ticking off on lists etc, but for an attendee staying within the rules, they should not be affected.

As for the executive lounge issue, my understanding is it was not people getting an executive room and going in to the lounge that was the problem, the issue was that the hotel was selling an upgrade to the executive lounge only. Some attendees were paying this upgrade fee to get access to the lounge and then allowing 4 or 5 of their friends in with them. This is what I believe Jason has spoken to the hotel about and is having stopped. The people that have an executive room with not be affected.

I don't honestly know how people could do that-its disgusting and so unfair to the rest of us who were honest and played by the rules. I was with Holly and she generally lost her photo shot card and it makes so angry to think other got their for free when she had to pay for extras! :(

Woah look who finally managed to post lol!

As for the executive lounge issue, my understanding is it was not people getting an executive room and going in to the lounge that was the problem, the issue was that the hotel was selling an upgrade to the executive lounge only. Some attendees were paying this upgrade fee to get access to the lounge and then allowing 4 or 5 of their friends in with them. This is what I believe Jason has spoken to the hotel about and is having stopped. The people that have an executive room with not be affected.

Thanks for the clarification! I was worried that upgrading to an executive room would be blocked altogether *keeps fingers crossed that I get my upgrade*

Thanks for the clarification! I was worried that upgrading to an executive room would be blocked altogether *keeps fingers crossed that I get my upgrade*

Yeah thanks for that clarification. Also with regard to the photocard issue, could this not be made to be part of our pass/card/ticket? By that I mean on the reverse there was a random pic of Mike Newton - fun yes but if we had our photo ops on the back ....well it was just an idea from my daughter! I can't think of how it would work logistically but I'm sure some clever ME bod will think of something :)

Yeah thanks for that clarification. Also with regard to the photocard issue, could this not be made to be part of our pass/card/ticket? By that I mean on the reverse there was a random pic of Mike Newton - fun yes but if we had our photo ops on the back ....well it was just an idea from my daughter! I can't think of how it would work logistically but I'm sure some clever ME bod will think of something :)

Yes! I like that idea!

That's great - thanks for the clarification TT :(

[quote

Surely that is the hotels fault though?? And are you sure it wasn't a group of people who *all* had exec lounge passes, but may have looked like one person had taken their group of friends in with them?? We were a group of 9 that all had exec rooms and passes, so again, would hate to think people assumed we were the ones!!

"intersting" and sad. I have never thought we could copy photoshoot thing...

As always, a minority is spoiling for the rest.

A couple of things:

- after ET3, it's been said that badges were not good as people were cheating by swapping them but we were back to badges for ET5. Didn't the wristbands work?

- parties: I remember when on the security guard asking a drunk man to leave which was good but O think it's quite easy for people to enter party room if they are dressed up and with attendees.

• Showmasters Admin

Surely that is the hotels fault though?? And are you sure it wasn't a group of people who *all* had exec lounge passes, but may have looked like one person had taken their group of friends in with them?? We were a group of 9 that all had exec rooms and passes, so again, would hate to think people assumed we were the ones!!

We had someone come to us to tell us they knew this was going on (the get one and let 5 in) and they'd over heard and group of 5 or 6 talking about getting in again on Sunday morning. They reported it as they didn't think it was fair, which it's not. Don't worry if you are in there legitimatly no one is having fingers pointed at them.

Yes it is the hotels fault and that is why Jason spoke to them.

We had someone come to us to tell us they knew this was going on (the get one and let 5 in) and they'd over heard and group of 5 or 6 talking about getting in again on Sunday morning. They reported it as they didn't think it was fair, which it's not. Don't worry if you are in there legitimatly no one is having fingers pointed at them.

ok thank you for clearing that up xx

On the Saturday night, I had two people come up to me and ask could they have my pass and my friend's pass so they could get into the party. We refused them and they went around asking other people for their passes. It's legitimately not fair on everyone and I really am happy that Showmasters are calling people on everything and I hope all of the stealing and copying stops.

I agree I think it is bad people letting their friends into the executive lounge who havent paid, I have no choice as my husband and son always come with us and they have nothing to do with the Twilight Con, we gain access to this for them so that they have somewhere to go and chill use internet etc whist my daughter and I go to autograph sessions,photoshoots and talks. There where a considerable amount of more people in the lounge this year than usual and when we went up to join my husband and son there was no where to sit :D and no food left :D and i was not very happy cos i had paid alot of money for them rooms for the benefit of the rest of my family who would otherwise be bored with nothing to do and nowhere to go. As for the guests being in there which isnt that often, there is absolutly no way I would speak to them unless they spoke to me first and I would certainly not invade their privacy in any way whilst they are sitting relaxing because to me that is inappropriate and they need their space and we need to need to respect that . *rant over sorry* :D

As for the guests being in there which isnt that often, there is absolutly no way I would speak to them unless they spoke to me first and I would certainly not invade their privacy in any way whilst they are sitting relaxing because to me that is inappropriate and they need their space and we need to need to respect that . *rant over sorry* :D

I completely agree Jenny!

I ended up having a drink and a dance with Bill on the Saturday night but I didn't ask him for it, I offered him a drink and he ended up picking Famous Grouse for myself and my friend to have as a shot with him, haha. If you leave the guests alone then they will all come to you at some stage, and if not then pay for a guest encounter, or at least bid on one. I leave the guests alone unless I'm at the bar and they're there too and I happen to be beside them, I'll say hello then, offer to buy a drink and thats that. But as I witnessed at the weekend, it's better to just leave them be. Bill came and danced with me, and that was awesome. Michael came up and spoke to my friend of his own free will, and Alex was chatting to me and my friend as well as Dan. It's better that way, I think. I'd hate to crowd them.

On the Saturday night, I had two people come up to me and ask could they have my pass and my friend's pass so they could get into the party. We refused them and they went around asking other people for their passes. It's legitimately not fair on everyone and I really am happy that Showmasters are calling people on everything and I hope all of the stealing and copying stops.

Haha I'm the kind of person that would have been like "Yeah sure but we'd have to go get a pass off my other friend" *leads unsuspecting people to Too Tall/Jason/etc*

Haha I'm the kind of person that would have been like "Yeah sure but we'd have to go get a pass off my other friend" *leads unsuspecting people to Too Tall/Jason/etc*

Hahahaha, I was a little too drunk to think that clearly, but hell I'll remember that next time! XDD

I think my friend did speak to Jason about some VERY rude people in the drinks reception though.