GUEST DAYS AND PRICES

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a photo with Karen gillan

None of the other who stars interest me any chance of some more modern ones?

To be fair to Showmasters, they got Alex Kingston in Milton Keynes recently and they're getting Karen Gillan for LFCC. There's only Arthur Darvil and Matt Smith left and given the high number of big name guests they're already getting, I think it unlikely they can - or to be honest even need to - get one of the two guys for July.

Karen Gillan is an awesome acquisition and will be a massive draw for loads of people. I think it quite reasonable to wait until the next con for the next massive draw. :-)

Arthur did Bad Wolf last summer, and he's doing theatre this summer. Karen was a surprise, and, as I understand it, Matt isn't allowed to do conventions until he's no longer playing the Doctor.

Edited by laurab1

I'd actually be surprised if that rule was still in place since Moffat/Smith took over. Obviously it's ok for Arthur and Karen to do events, and Alex, so I would be very surprised if Matt wasn't allowed to do them.

I thought it was just said to stop David Tennant receiving hundreds of requests for it. Even if it's not in place for Matt, unfortunately I still wouldn't expect him to do one for at least a couple of years after he finishes because of how hectic it would be for him.

There are already 9 Doctor Who guests (of 60) for this event, not counting the 2 Sheppards (who have been in tons of other things as well) and a few others who have guested in the show I don't think we need any more or this will become a Dr. Who convention.

It looks like there are already 5 guests each from Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter and Hellraiser as well .........

Great to see guests from other genre stuff though ...Buck Rogers, B5, 4400 .......YAY for diversity!!!!

I thought it was just said to stop David Tennant receiving hundreds of requests for it. Even if it's not in place for Matt, unfortunately I still wouldn't expect him to do one for at least a couple of years after he finishes because of how hectic it would be for him.

I agree. I expect he wouldn't say no to an event like this, I'm sure, given the opportunity he'd jump at the chance to do some cons, but like you said, we may just have to hold on for a couple of years or so until he finishes his time in the show. He'd still be worth the wait. :D

• Moderators

There are already 9 Doctor Who guests (of 60) for this event, not counting the 2 Sheppards (who have been in tons of other things as well) and a few others who have guested in the show I don't think we need any more or this will become a Dr. Who convention.

I really don't think it'd turn into a Who convention. We've had plenty of Star Wars or Doctor Who guests etc in the past, and the rest of the lineup has never suffered because of it.

Who guests are mostly UK based so easy to get, and I can imagine quite cheap, and often 1 dayers.

You say that, but the odd thing is aside for Karen and the Sheppards, there isn't much of interest to a lot of Dr Who fans. The others are quite regular on the circuit, always cheaper for that matter.

Before Karen was announced I even thought of not attending this year!

Edited by TerraHawk

I really don't think it'd turn into a Who convention. We've had plenty of Star Wars or Doctor Who guests etc in the past, and the rest of the lineup has never suffered because of it.

Well of course it's not going to turn into a Dr. Who convention .... exaggeration for the purpose of demonstration.....

You say that, but the odd thing is aside for Karen and the Sheppards, there isn't much of interest to a lot of Dr Who fans. The others are quite regular on the circuit, always cheaper for that matter.

Perhaps but they are still Dr. Who guests, nu?

Guess I'm just getting a little bored of seeing the same shows and franchises dominating every event.....

Of course there are still about 15 people already that I'll be getting something from .....

Edited by Farqhuarbeedlebum

Like it or not, someone who was a companion in Doctor Who 40 years ago for 1 year, is always going to be popular. I've met all the Doctor Who people going to London many times already(most of them many times anyway) but i'm still meeting them all, as there's always new DVDs out and an endless supply of pictures to get signed. I've been going to events for 12 years now and still take pleasure in meeting the likes of John Leeson and Sarah Sutton

It makes sense for organisers to get them if they're inexpensive, and always have a steady stream of people meeting them

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Moderators

Guess I'm just getting a little bored of seeing the same shows and franchises dominating every event.....

Of course there are still about 15 people already that I'll be getting something from .....

But they're the franchises with the biggest and most loyal fanbases out there, so why WOULDNT an organiser have them at their event? I think that's a better question to ask.

No matter how many SW or Who guests we get, Trek ones etc, they are still popular at each and every event.

But they're the franchises with the biggest and most loyal fanbases out there, so why WOULDNT an organiser have them at their event? I think that's a better question to ask.

No matter how many SW or Who guests we get, Trek ones etc, they are still popular at each and every event.

With all the genre shows out there surely people might be interested in something other than Harry Potter and Doctor Who.

Supernatural, Smallville, True Blood, Walking Dead and then there are so many other shows that have a big following like Community, Big Bang Theory, Dexter, Mad Men etc.

Are you trying to tell me that if a signing event did not have any Doctor Who or Harry Potter guests that people would not turn up?

Like it or not, David is right. Doctor Who is hugely popular and has extremely loyal fans.

Having said that, I am slightly disappointed that there aren't any Torchwood guests, considering Series 4 is going to hit our screens in July.

Most of the shows you mention are American, for which the stars cost a hell of a lot more to get over than the likes of Doctor Who people. Like I said, if Doctor Who people or a lot of UK people in general are very cheap to get, and generate a lot of business, why not get them. It's not like it prevents them from getting other people entirely. They always have varied guest lists for events.

And yeah it's all personal taste as well. If they had to sacrifice 6 of the Classic Doctor Who guests, to get 1 American guest from Supernatural, I wouldn't be interested at all, whereas i'm meeting all of the Who guests

• Moderators

Without turning this into a completely irrelevant discussion (probably too late!) - getting rid of multiple Who guests to 'try out' a guest from a US show, including flights etc, that isn't guaranteed to cover costs is something you have to weigh up.

As far as I'm concerned, we get a big number of fly-in guests, and ones that do very well. But not ALWAYS. And you can't try too many guests from new things, or else you could fall completely flat on your face.

It's again down to the fact that none of our finances are at risk, so we can think of all these brilliant ideas without putting any money behind it! Organisers have to think slightly differently, and have a good mix of home-grown lower risk guests and foreign ones etc. And let's just remember a high number of viewers doesn't always translate to a fanbase for signing events.

Without turning this into a completely irrelevant discussion (probably too late!) - getting rid of multiple Who guests to 'try out' a guest from a US show, including flights etc, that isn't guaranteed to cover costs is something you have to weigh up.

I was just pointing out that once again guests from the usual shows were dominating the guest list and that it was nice to see some diversity and would be nicer to see more shows represented...... it was just an opinion.

I didn't turn this into a discussion, you did......why was that?

• Showmasters Admin

Farqhuarbeedlebum I understand what you're saying about diversity but these big UK shows will always be represented.

David's right, it's all about risk. Most UK guests are 99% going to cover their costs, therefore they are a no brainer, you can add them (even 6 or 10 of them) to the line up with next to no worry of making a loss. They WILL pay for themselves to be there.

Were as a large US guest because of fees, flights, hotels, etc etc COULD end up leaving the show with a £10k+ loss. It's happened before where the show has lost that kind of money on a single guest (and no I'm not going to say who).

The point is it's those kind of guests that you have to limit, because heaven forbid that 5 or even 10 of them all loss you £5k-£10k. Welcome to the LFCC 2 loss of over £75k :WAVE: Most companies that kind of loss would have killed them, but thankfully not SM. But it's not something they'd want to do repeat :D

Popularity of a show does mean nothing. We had 24 guests when the show was HUGE and they made a loss. We've had Eastenders guests (you may laugh but if you look at viewing figures they should have been huge) but they made a loss. With some new shows it can be very hard to know what's going to work at a signing event. Everyone expected the Supernatural guests at EMS 1 to go down a storm but in fact the Torchwood guests (who we'd had at least twice before) sat next to them sold more autographs.

It's a very hard game to play, one that Jason does pretty well at.

Just know that when you see lots of UK guests you can be assured that them being there has in no way stopped a big guest from being asked to attend that show.

• Showmasters Admin

If Torchwood stars are so popular, is there any chance of a late announcement? Interest is building in series 4, and it's going to be on BBC1 this summer. Please?

Not my decision I'm afraid. But you never know who Jason will pull out of the woodwork next :WAVE:

jeez did I touch a nerve or what? I'm just waiting for SM themselves to jump on board.....

I know from previous conversations (and forum discussions) that having a large number of smaller local guests does not limit the number of guests from abroad ...... and never mentioned that in my post.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see some other shows and movies represented as well as DW, SW and HP are represented currently.