Concerned about this event

Woodyuk

I'm a little concerned about this event.

The Entertainment show in March is busily getting new announcements and so is the July LFCC.

This one seems very empty!

It's a shame as the MK event used to be the flagship event, I hate to see it dwindle away into obscurity.

Is the venue still causing big problems?

• Moderators

Jason has said they're working on guests, so there can't be much of an issue, if any.

The order of guests being announced really isn't relevant. It just depends who is available when. Sometimes someone is available in October, so they'll be signed up for that. It doesn't mean the events before are being ignored or anything.

With the number of events we have in the calendar, there's never going to be the possibility of working on them in order. It's a juggling game in the end, and there's still plenty of time to have a good lineup for this one.

Not neccessarily, Jasons phrasing in his thread on the 12th of January:

we are working on guests for this now

implies that time is being devoted to it now.

With a few events earlier than this, it only stands to reason that they would need work earlier than a later event.

As David has said, they are always working on contracts and can only announce when they are completed. MK is a great show and I expect it will be this year :D

To be honest, I'd be happy if this event was cancelled - there's an event in March and with LFCC in July already shaping up to be a good one (Clive Barker!) I think I'll be saving my pennies for that one and will have to give Collectormania a miss despite which guests do get announced.

To be honest, I'd be happy if this event was cancelled - there's an event in March and with LFCC in July already shaping up to be a good one (Clive Barker!) I think I'll be saving my pennies for that one and will have to give Collectormania a miss despite which guests do get announced.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it." Bernard Bailey

:(

To be honest, I'd be happy if this event was cancelled -

:( Not exactly a helpful comment really. Glad SM/ME dont listen to such thoughts or there would be a lot of very disappointed people

I agree that this comment is uncalled for and selfish.

MK is my favourite event as it is really easy to get to and has low cost accommodation close by.

I look forward to it every year and hope it continues long into the future.

Edited by theblackrose

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little concerned about this event.

The Entertainment show in March is busily getting new announcements and so is the July LFCC.

This one seems very empty!

It's a shame as the MK event used to be the flagship event, I hate to see it dwindle away into obscurity.

Is the venue still causing big problems?

As I mentioned on a previous thread, the year before last, there are many people who would love to see the whole show be moved to London, but I was called selfish because I wasn't happy with the idea.

I will say it again, Milton Keynes is a central area, plenty of cheap or free parking and easy to get to for anyone in the country.

London is awkward to get to, there are major traffic jams which ever way you go, parking is ridiculously expensive and so are the train journeys there. However for Londoners - it's great, just a couple of tube or bus journeys and you're there.

I used to take my son to the Doctor Who exhibition at Cardiff which was also easy to get to and park, but it closes in March in favour of a new bigger exhibition, guess where?? in London of course. They say it will eventually move to Cardiff but I don't know when.

I recently went to Blackpool, only to find all the old sci-fi exhibitions up there have now gone, and the place is full of fairground stalls with pushy owners. Perhaps they are all in London as well.

As for Collectormania I've given up already. The last exhibition I went to was the Midlands one at Coventry in 2008, the one before that the spring one in Milton Keynes (with John Barrowman) which were both great. At Milton Keynes you could look around the shops whilst waiting for your number to come up, and the Midlands one had very short queues, with talks going on in the corner of the hall. I did want to go to the one in 2009 but it was moved from the customary bank holiday weekend to the time I was away on holiday.

It's a bit of a shame, my family and I used to love the Collectormania event at Milton Keynes, but it isn't the same anymore

*edited*

Sorry but you are not allowed to discuss non-Showmasters events on here. Thank you.

Edited by DavidB

I will say it again, Milton Keynes is a central area, plenty of cheap or free parking and easy to get to for anyone in the country.

London is awkward to get to, there are major traffic jams which ever way you go, parking is ridiculously expensive and so are the train journeys there.

It rather depends where you are coming from. Being down in the South West, London is easier that Milton Keynes. Milton Keynes via London, that is. It's doable, but not easy. I've only done it once, and that was because I could do it via Clapham Junction, avoiding central London.

London, Birmingham, even Cardiff are easier and cheaper for for me to get to than MK.

• Moderators

People are, on the whole, selfish about where they want an event to be - and to be honest, why wouldn't they be? It's not like any of us want a difficult time getting to an event.

But there will never be an ideal place to hold one where everyone is happy. Not only are there people travelling from all over the UK, but Europe and further afield too. And that's not just the attendees but some of the guests too. Logistics have to be taken into account from many perspectives.

I don't think Milton Keynes is the worst place they could hold it. Easy for anyone to get to? Not quite, but there's always going to be someone with a difficult trip!

People are, on the whole, selfish about where they want an event to be - and to be honest, why wouldn't they be? It's not like any of us want a difficult time getting to an event.

Oh indeed, I was just pointing out the poster I was replying to was wrong saying it was easy for anyone in the country to get to.

Can't win em all. Dimensions probably has the best line up of guests for a Tenth Planet event year on year out, and for me actually flying up there would be a doddle - but too much hassle after that means I've avoided it do far. And that time of year is expensive enough already in the Who calendar.

• Showmasters Admin

I don't beleive there is anything to be worried about.

LFCC has always had some guests announced early, it has had pretty much every year.

It's an odd year with having EMS in March and I know we're used to more guests announcements for MK by now. But I think you'll find that once EMS is over there will be a flood of guests for MK.

The whole "should the event be in MK" thing is a bit irrelevent. Collectormania and Showmasters came into it's own in MK, I can't see them moving CM away from MK, pretty much ever.

Last year there were some people who were concerned about the Glasgow event as it grew close because there hadn't been any guest announcements. However, the announcements, when they did come, came thick and fast and it turned out to be a great event.

I suspect the same will happen for MK. As Too Tall says, after EMS there will probably be a flood of guests announced.

I'm not at all worried. We have over 4 months to go. It's not like theres any need to rush in getting guests. We have to remember that SM/ME have god knows how many events to plan and if you think it's highly likely that people going to each of these events will be asking for more guests and when a guest is coming, they have to prioratise a bit with who they book for what. Remember they are fans like us and they want each show to be the best it possiably can. If we all let them to their work then we'll all be more than happy with the resluts I'm sure!

Also, the time it takes for them to come on here and re-assure us that they are working on guests could be better used actually speaking to guests and getting them booked :P

Edited by Charmer

I'm in no doubt it will happen, exactly where in the stadium I am not so sure. No evidence online to say the new complex is open.

We have had people say they won't go again if its in the same place as the last times, I'm yet to be convinced for certain it won't be. It wasn't even mentioned until the floorplan went up last time I believe. Which was all very up front and kept in the loop. :P

"Sorry but you are not allowed to discuss non-Showmasters events on here. Thank you."

Thankyou for giving such a polite warning message Showmasters, when I mentioned Collectormania on a "Non-Showmasters" forum last year I had a nasty message from them in capital letters!

Why are these signing events so competitive?

Anyway, to get back to the point, Milton Keynes is a long way for me to travel as well. However at least the place caters for people travelling long distance, e.g. plenty of cheap parking, no traffic jams, and when it was in the shopping centre you at least could get a decent cup of coffee there (I've yet to find a stadium that does!)

Of course it may be further for anyone living in Kent, but for the majority in this country, Milton Keynes is still more central than London.

There are still a large number of guests I would like to meet, problem is they only appear at the London events. Hopefully this year will make an exception, but lets wait and see.

Why are these signing events so competitive?

Because of just that, they are the competition. I can understand the no mention rule but its customers who loose out if the guest someone you really wanted for years does the other and no one can tell you about it. Personally for me its counterproductive -even a request thread being bumped unexpectedly with a smiley can make me think are they signing somewhere, looking it up (you can Google just names you know) I can find it, and 10 other events I'd not heard of at the same time. But there you go.

However snatching of guests, I feel a bit underhand (it has happened) and scheduling events on the same day... well that's just rude, frankly. It certainly doesn't earn respect.

• Moderators

It's not counterproductive. We know when people are trying to be sneaky, and it's very annoying.

I have no idea why people can't just respect the rules. Fair enough when people don't know, and we politely explain to them, but others do it deliberately time and again. And people wonder why we get irritated sometimes.

It's not counterproductive.

I said personally for me. If member x says actor y is attending event 1, I'd just think ok, thats nice.

If member x says anything to make me suspect they are attending somewhere, I just have to look it up. Whereon I also learn actor A,B,C,D is atttending, and organiser also does events at venues 2,3,4 etc etc. So even if I couldn't do the first event, I've now found out about more events than I knew of in the first place. So rather than the intended keeping of one event from me, it's let me to learn of several. That is counterproductive to the original intention is it not?

In fact its actually the 'this post has been edited, please do not mention other events etc' that really highlights there is another event somewhere!

And it was you who weren't exactly unhelpful when it came to letting Rob know about Bret Hartman's appearance elsewhere last year wasn't it?

Edited by TerraHawk

• Moderators

And yet if we did a straight delete of the post, we'd simply get tons of "where did my post go?" etc.

If you have a better suggestion for how we can deal with it and NOT alert you, then please feel free to say ..

And yes, I'm more than happy to help people off-forum. Plenty of my friends, colleagues etc go to other events, and that's not the issue. There's a time and a place for discussing them, and it's not on here.