Glasgow 2011... What do YOU want?

OK, so we know there's gonna be a 2011 event.

I'll hopefully be adding to my prop collection throughout the year so there's even more nifty originals to look at and replicas to play with... What else would you guys like to see at the event?

I owe Jason a load of flyers, as he was good enough to print S8 ads on the back of the 2011 ones at this year's show, so I'll be getting them out in good time for ( I hope ) an even bigger Cosplay turnout than last year.

Any more suggestions?

GO!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less bitching and moaning from all , when after the event we end up singing it's praises :(

Seriously though :

More local promotions of home grown films - I'm using Night is Day as an example .

Get the event listed on the Braehead website, the date is known, so should be easily done.

Get the tickets listed in the online store- more tickets sold now means more money available for the event.

How about free entry either an hour or an hour and a half before the event closes for the day? this may entice general visitors to come in and look around, which may then convert to some sales either of autos, or for the dealers? Would then have the possibility of them coming back as paying attendees, speculate to accumulate and all that

A How to get there/ where to stay thread being posted and stickied. If someone local could do this and detail either direct buses from Glasgow or even Paisley Train station, this would help a lot I think.

Stickied Cosplay thread.

Forum members to post guest requests in a single thread, and not start another one :D

How's that for a start ??

What about advertising further afield that Glasgow. Inverness has its own comic event and there would be people who would travel down to another event if they knew about it, it is possible to to Glasgow and back in a day.

A party? :D

I was going to say that but I thought The Rev might kill me lol.

I'd like bigger guests but I suppose we just need to wait and see what happens.

I'd like more updates on what's happening as we go along. Even just a "We're working on the event and will update you soon" every so often just so we know we're not being ignored.

Flyers a bit further in advance

Well im greatly disappointed at the lack of guests announcements, Glasgow just doesn't get the same treatment as other events with the big names.

Just wanted to get the above out of the way as we always get people saying it :chair:

Less bitching and moaning from all , when after the event we end up singing it's praises

This would be a good start, we can all get along and all halp make glasgow what we all want it to be BIG

Get the event listed on the Braehead website, the date is known, so should be easily done.

Get the tickets listed in the online store- more tickets sold now means more money available for the event

I know both of these things have happend in the earlyer events, so am sure they will be back this year

How about free entry either an hour or an hour and a half before the event closes for the day? this may entice general visitors to come in and look around, which may then convert to some sales either of autos, or for the dealers? Would then have the possibility of them coming back as paying attendees, speculate to accumulate and all that

This did happen this year near the end of the show, but really by 4.30pm the were not even that many normal shopper coming over and asking us what was going on! The Stormtroopers drew alot of intrest during the day and know on Saturday alot of people asked me what was going on and went into the show and came out saying they would be back as they had so much fun :chair:

A How to get there/ where to stay thread being posted and stickied. If someone local could do this and detail either direct buses from Glasgow or even Paisley Train station, this would help a lot I think.

This i will get done soon for everyone so no problem there

Forum members to post guest requests in a single thread, and not start another one

Please please please :D and maybe could i add stay on topic as much as possible

How about some advertising in Xscape as well as Braehead?

This was kind of done be me as my car was parked in the xscape the weekend before the show with flyers all over the windows near the front door :D

What about advertising further afield that Glasgow. Inverness has its own comic event and there would be people who would travel down to another event if they knew about it, it is possible to to Glasgow and back in a day.

I also did some of this, the week running up to the events flyers were place in cinimas Carlisle, shops around Dumfries & Galloway, Flyers were places through hundreds of doors in places like Motherwell, Hamilton, Coatbridge and East Kilbride.

So next year we can get more flyers over more of scotland

I'd like more updates on what's happening as we go along. Even just a "We're working on the event and will update you soon" every so often just so we know we're not being ignored.

I know it would be nice to have updates but I do know that SM work on ALL there events inc Glasgow all year round.

I do like all your ideas keep them coming. Together we make Glasgow even more fun than this year was :D

Andrew

• Moderators

It certainly seems that the volume of people through the doors was decent enough at the last event, so there's definitely a solid foundation there to build on.

I think the internet can be used a lot more in conjunction with some of the other ideas. After all, it doesn't cost anything to spread the word on more forums or websites etc, or drive traffic to the site or Facebook, or use Twitter in a stronger fashion which i'm more than happy to do when I have the opportunity.

I think it just comes down to having a more long-term plan over the next year so that by the time the event itself rolls round, the awareness is more than ever before.

Getting this section more active will help too. The Glasgow fans have always been some of the most passionate and willing to be involved, so that's something we should use.

I understand the whole 'more regular updates' thing, but I do think people have to trust that SMs are working on things, and give details when they have something solid to announce. This event, just like every other one, is never forgotten.

• Moderators

Absolutely, but it all depends on the rules really, and I like to think people have a little common sense.

There's plenty of sites out there that do allow promotion of other events etc, and aren't as strict as this one. So there's no harm spreading the word where it's allowed.

Indeed - I wasn't actually even thinking of sites that adopt a "Censorship of rival events" policy... More just the Nettiquette of one's first post being "Come to this event!".

If a guest is announced, and there are forums relevant to that guest, I'd ask that anyone wishing to post an advert please have the courtesy to ask the moderators beforehand, unless they are already a member-in-good-standing of that forum with plenty of posts to their name.

But above all else, at some point in the future (2012 for example, providing the world hasn't come to an end and the Mayan's are going "Told you so.") can we please, please hold Collectormania Glasgow somewhere other than the Braehead Arena?

For those of us who don't drive (me for instance), it's an absolute bugger to get to via public transport.

I feel that in the future, this would be a very wise move, as Braehead is so out of the way and no easy to stumble upon, whereas if it were in the centre of Glasgow it would probably attract even more people that weren't even aware of it. Also YES about the getting there.

My personal opinion Braehead Arena is one of the best venues in which SM hold events! It feels like the old MK days in the Shopping center, but the arena allows for talks and alot more space for other fun things. Its also great when this show gets bigger and more people are traveling to it as the airport it under 3 miles away!

I don't think we're at that stage quite yet - Braehead can hold a few more than we've seen thus far.

As for the SECC - the SECC is even more "A place folk go, not a place folk happen to be".

Between the two, after consideration, I prefer Braehead. At least there is SOME passing trade there, and the out-of-the-way aspect of the location can be balanced with earlier advertising so folk can make plans to go to the event.

• Moderators

The show at Milton Keynes built up well because it was in a shopping centre, and as said above, passing trade etc helps a lot.

Granted, the move from there to the stadium was under difficult circumstances, but I certainly think it's a good model to follow when trying to grow a similar event.

Braehead is fine as a venue, and is easy enough to get to by public transport links.

A friend and I were able to choose from multiple buses that ran direct from Glasgow, as we stayed at the etap hotel, it didn't even take that long on the bus.

You can also get there by taking a train to Paisley Central, then getting on a bus to the centre.

So it's not really that much of a bugger to get to by public transport.

Braehead is fine as a venue, and is easy enough to get to by public transport links.

A friend and I were able to choose from multiple buses that ran direct from Glasgow, as we stayed at the etap hotel, it didn't even take that long on the bus.

You can also get there by taking a train to Paisley Central, then getting on a bus to the centre.

So it's not really that much of a bugger to get to by public transport.

i agree its gotta be probibly the easiest place to get to

hell all i have to do is just walk outside to the bus stop and catch a 26 all the way there!! good times

I really enjoyed the comic book artist and loved that you were able to get a sketch of yourself. Maybe more similar guests could attend.

:D

• 1 month later...
  • Showmasters Admin

What's wrong with hiring one of the smaller halls at the SECC?

I remember going to a couple of shows there around nine or ten years ago.

What's wrong is it cost 10 times what we get charged at the Braehead , the SECC had the chance when we first started up the show but they were just to expencive .

and thats why other events were closed down in the end , we have a grate venue with free parking and plenty of space and the food prices are good too so the Braehead is our home :poki:

jason :P