Why do the guests sit there signing even when there's no-one there

Noticed this at a few shows now, a guest signing their way through a stack of photos while things are quiet, and always wondered what's the story behind that. I assume the idea is that if they decide to give up and go home early then there are still signed photos for us to buy...but then if the guest isn't at their desk then surely nobody's going to be going over to buy a photo, cos...y'know...the guest isn't there. :angry:

I usually panic whenever I see a guest I want to meet doing this, for fear that they're about to leave within the next five minutes or whatever, but spotted Simon Dutton and Nia Roberts doing this quite early in the morning and they were still there til late afternoon, so...yeah. Just wondering.

And also, what happens to those photos after the show if there's any left over? Ebay? Given to crew? Saved for gold-pass goody bags?

Noticed this at a few shows now, a guest signing their way through a stack of photos while things are quiet, and always wondered what's the story behind that. I assume the idea is that if they decide to give up and go home early then there are still signed photos for us to buy...but then if the guest isn't at their desk then surely nobody's going to be going over to buy a photo, cos...y'know...the guest isn't there.:uhoh:

I usually panic whenever I see a guest I want to meet doing this, for fear that they're about to leave within the next five minutes or whatever, but spotted Simon Dutton and Nia Roberts doing this quite early in the morning and they were still there til late afternoon, so...yeah. Just wondering.

And also, what happens to those photos after the show if there's any left over? Ebay? Given to crew? Saved for gold-pass goody bags?

As far as I'm aware they're contracted autographs, like a guest signs so many? I'm not 100% what for but I presume it's something businessy....

Just cus someone is doing it doesn't mean they're leaving, their guest assistant will know how many they need to get through in the day so will use their free slots to do this.

Don't quote me but I think some may be for staff if they have asked for autograph and others are probably sold or raffles off in the future

Staff go get their own :angry:

It may even be pre bookings, or like used in future auctions etc... like the twilight scripts were.

Edited by Talie

The show ask for 100 autos from each guest for use in future 'goody packs' for sponsers, for prizes/auctions etc.

In addition to that, there's at least 1 sponser who purchases large numbers for their business, and lets the guests sign them throughout the day.

Just cus someone is doing it doesn't mean they're leaving, their guest assistant will know how many they need to get through in the day so will use their free slots to do this.

It did the first time I saw it happening - Nicholas Parsons at CM15 last year. Since then I've always kept an eye out and instantly gone after any guest I spotted doing it...just...in...case. :angry:

Edited by Kinggodzillak

• Showmasters Admin

Some are probably the pre-orders.

Some will be for like goody bags, others for competitions.

that's just it Crippsy

goody bags, competitions , and charity packs which we also send out when asked .

we have to get the 10th planet pree orders together for sending out and some are dealers that want to buy autos so if a guest get to a point were its slow we start to put them though .

hope that helps explane

Jason :D

they are most definately not given to crew! Crew have to pay for everthing just as the members of public do. If you are offered a free one from a guest you are allowed it but under no circumstances are we allowed to ask for them. big slapped wrists otherwise.

i've crewed 3 times now and guest assisted about 6 times and never had a freebie :)

*edited*

Sorry but we don't put contractual details on here.

Edited by DavidB