One thing about all these 'Star Wars' guests

TerraHawk

As it's a Return of The Jedi reunion then I think that a certain person should be eligible to attend :dance:

geek.jpg

and I don't mean Mr Schwimmer!

I would mean Mr Schwimmer, very much so!!! :P

I remember going to see Phantom, at the time I didnt have the internet but the buzz was beyond amazing, it was a few weeks before the release and cinemas were having midnight queues for tickets and to do that was something both unique and special.

And then the day-well midnight itself, the crowd just swarmed into the cinema, we sat down and the whole atmosphere in that theatre is something I dont know could be rivalled, some one very unfortunate had bought a ticket for the wrong day and was refused admittance but all the incessant and ecstatic chattering slowly subsided.

The lights of the theatre went down, and as John Williams memorable theme boomed out whilst the two words that have made the very fabric of film history what it is "Star Wars" shot out across the universe a completely out of control roar from the audience filled that room.

I remember going to see Phantom, at the time I didnt have the internet but the buzz was beyond amazing, it was a few weeks before the release and cinemas were having midnight queues for tickets and to do that was something both unique and special.

And then the day-well midnight itself, the crowd just swarmed into the cinema, we sat down and the whole atmosphere in that theatre is something I dont know could be rivalled, some one very unfortunate had bought a ticket for the wrong day and was refused admittance but all the incessant and ecstatic chattering slowly subsided.

The lights of the theatre went down, and as John Williams memorable theme boomed out whilst the two words that have made the very fabric of film history what it is "Star Wars" shot out across the universe a completely out of control roar from the audience filled that room.

whenever i think of seeing phantom i smile, it was a magical feeling and time, no movie in my life time felt like that before or during, not even "how the hell did it become the best selling/grossing movie ever when its actually a bit rubbish"?? avatar got near it in terms of hype or expectation and phantom is a far better movie than avatar i think.

it was just magical movie feel when it came out, I mean prior ppl were actually going to movies just to watch the phantom trailer and even leaving after the trailer! ive never heard of a movie doing that aside phantom!

such a shame so many ppl jumped on the lets bash lucas we hate jar jar more than anything band wagan a year or so after that is still going now. such a shame, i love SW and I love PM despite its flaws, cos PM makes me feel like a happy child when I think of it. though imagine how more awesome it would of been with less jar jar, less senate and more darth maul, more obi wan and a more in depth character for captain panaka?

whenever i think of seeing phantom i smile, it was a magical feeling and time, no movie in my life time felt like that before or during, not even "how the hell did it become the best selling/grossing movie ever when its actually a bit rubbish"?? avatar got near it in terms of hype or expectation and phantom is a far better movie than avatar i think.

it was just magical movie feel when it came out, I mean prior ppl were actually going to movies just to watch the phantom trailer and even leaving after the trailer! ive never heard of a movie doing that aside phantom!

such a shame so many ppl jumped on the lets bash lucas we hate jar jar more than anything band wagan a year or so after that is still going now. such a shame, i love SW and I love PM despite its flaws, cos PM makes me feel like a happy child when I think of it. though imagine how more awesome it would of been with less jar jar, less senate and more darth maul, more obi wan and a more in depth character for captain panaka?

Agreed, mostly. I was ten when TPM came out and it blew me away, I still enjoy it now, I agree there are flaws but I there are scenes in all of them which aren't perfect, I never considered ESB as the best one, never really understood the hype it has over the others. Maybe it's cos I'm a massive palpatine fan so I love Sith and Jedi most :headscratch:

Agreed, mostly. I was ten when TPM came out and it blew me away, I still enjoy it now, I agree there are flaws but I there are scenes in all of them which aren't perfect, I never considered ESB as the best one, never really understood the hype it has over the others. Maybe it's cos I'm a massive palpatine fan so I love Sith and Jedi most :smile:

i think it might be down to age, you were a kid when the prequels came out.

though palps is in empire ;-)

im 29 this october and as a kid jedi was my fav id rent it every friday after school lol. but as an adult, well even teenager it became empire, its just a much better movie on its own to start but the characters have more depth, the action is better and more dangerous. there is a nice little love story, its just a superb film.

but I lvoe all the SW films.

p.s thanks to lucas the constant meddler lol, palpatine as played by ian is in empire now

Edited by timelord81r

Agreed, mostly. I was ten when TPM came out and it blew me away, I still enjoy it now, I agree there are flaws but I there are scenes in all of them which aren't perfect, I never considered ESB as the best one, never really understood the hype it has over the others. Maybe it's cos I'm a massive palpatine fan so I love Sith and Jedi most :smile:

i think it might be down to age, you were a kid when the prequels came out.

though palps is in empire ;-)

im 29 this october and as a kid jedi was my fav id rent it every friday after school lol. but as an adult, well even teenager it became empire, its just a much better movie on its own to start but the characters have more depth, the action is better and more dangerous. there is a nice little love story, its just a superb film.

but I lvoe all the SW films.

p.s thanks to lucas the constant meddler lol, palpatine as played by ian is in empire now

I was 34 in March and I think, thanks to ITV showing either Star Wars or Empire every Christmas in the 80's or seeing Empire at my friends house Empire didnt really get much of a look in whereas whenever I went to the video shop it was always Jedi and was the actual first video I owned.

xmas tv is rubbish these days, xmas isnt the same unless these movies are showing every xmas

star wars trilogy

indiana jones trilogy

bond films, usually one a day throughout later december

the snowman

santa claus (dougly moore one)

home alone

flash gordon

its a wonderful life

die hards

batman and batman returns

the hunt for red october

star trek films and always the voyage home

what do we get now, bloody sherks xmas special or movies we all have on dvd or seen in the cinema years before that arnt all that great billed as premieres lol, the classics dont get a look in. i miss the 80's and early 90's

Edited by timelord81r

I certainly remember Star Wars on ITV - even one of the shots used in the advert, but I'm not sure about Empire. I do remember it took years (the early 90s?) for Jedi to reach the channel.

I'd guess in the early days of VHS there wasn't such a delay between cinema and TV, no need of a rental or release window. That window must have grown between the films.

We had a video by '84 at the latest, and had 'rental' copies of ANH & ROTJ for what seemed like months. However I now think they were bootlegs from a friend of my Dads. Reason I think this is there were scenes missing, which even now seem slightly newer. But I never had the copy of ESB, I first saw that years later at the cinema in a double bill with ROTJ. I remember that day too, straight from school, 3rd in the queue! We weren't going to stay for Jedi (as I said had a copy) but we did, that's where I first saw the 'missing' scenes.

what do we get now, bloody sherks xmas special or movies we all have on dvd or seen in the cinema years before that arnt all that great billed as premieres lol, the classics dont get a look in. i miss the 80's and early 90's

Most of them are still on (all year), just theres more channels to divide them on these days! And many of your list were new in the early 90s! It's just you weren't buying so many of them in the meantime back then.

Still there are some absolute classic films I grew up with as TV things - I have since bought some on DVD - but then lost motivation to watch them such as The Back To The Future Trilogy I'm ashamed to say. The Bond films have only ever been a TV thing for me.

But then there are some lesser films I just can't resist watching on TV.

I've just been reading through these posts and strangely enough I found an old scrapbook full of Star Wars cuttings in my loft at the weekend that had the date of the original ITV screening of Star Wars.

It was on Sunday October 24th 1982, from 7.15pm - 9.30pm. It was also released on videotape for the first time earlier that year. It was screened again the following year in August 1983.

I remember winning The Empire Strikes Back on a VHS cassette from CBS/FOX in 1984, but I have no idea when it was first broadcast on ITV. All I do know is that it hadn't been screened at the time of Return of the Jedi's cinema outing.

From memory Return of the Jedi had it's VHS debut in 1988, again I cannot remember the ITV premiere date but I seem to think it was the 90's before we saw it?

Can anyone else fill in the missing date gaps here?

Jedi I have an odd recollection I was still at school but hadn't done my exams so I think it was 92-93 ish.

I knew one shop that was still selling the orignal figures that late in the day, I expect some trader made a killing later on!

I wasn't so interested in broadcasts by then, the local video rental had closed down so I bought ex-rental tapes of all three! The first film's a bit of an oddity though it has different sound effects (such as the klaxons)

Jedi I have an odd recollection I was still at school but hadn't done my exams so I think it was 92-93 ish.

I knew one shop that was still selling the orignal figures that late in the day, I expect some trader made a killing later on!

I wasn't so interested in broadcasts by then, the local video rental had closed down so I bought ex-rental tapes of all three! The first film's a bit of an oddity though it has different sound effects (such as the klaxons)

Jedi was released on video in February 1986 in the UK. Empire has it's premiere on Christmas Day 1988 on ITV (same day as Back to the Future). Jedi was premiered on ITV a year later - Christmas Day 1989.

• 2 weeks later...

I was seven when Star Wars came out (with none of this "IV: New Hope" business, which came later, of course). Unfortunately our family was in the Middle East at the time so couldn't go see it at the cinema, but someone *cough* "acquired" a copy and it was screened at the local Rugby club, whose members all crammed themselves into a single room to watch it on an average-sized TV. Being a titch, I was allowed to sit at the front, so got an excellent view. I can honestly say it changed my life as we'd never seen anything like it before. We were lucky enough to be in the UK when the sequels came out; I didn't get to see the original on the big screen until the digitally remastered versions were released, but it was worth the wait. :headscratch: