latest Guest Announcement Alex "Hurricane" Higgins

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

latest Guest Announcement Alex Higgins

SUNDAY ONLY

Alexander Gordon Higgins (born 18 March 1949 in Belfast), best known as Alex "Hurricane" Higgins, is a retired professional snooker player from Northern Ireland, who was twice World Champion and runner-up on two occasions.

Higgins is also a former World Doubles champion with Jimmy White and won the World Cup three times with the All Ireland team.

He turned professional at the age of 22, winning the World Snooker Championship at his first attempt in 1972 against John Spencer. The match was won with a 37-32 scoreline.[4] Higgins, at 22, was the youngest winner of the title until Stephen Hendry's 1990 victory at the age of 21. He once again reached the final, in April 1976, only to face one of the most successful players of that era, Ray Reardon. Higgins led 11-9 but Reardon made four centuries and seven breaks over 60 to pull away and win the title for the fifth time. The Belfast man conceded the match when Reardon was leading by 27-16. Higgins was also runner-up to Cliff Thorburn in 1980, when looking strong favourite to win at 9-5 up before losing narrowly 18-16. However, he won his second title in 1982 after beating Reardon 18-15 (with a 135 total clearance in the final frame); it was an emotional as well as professional victory for him.

3_212023s.jpg

46048b7f3e4e4bed8438cf19809d5629.jpg

886.jpg

Good guest! Not a snooker fan myself but he's a major name from the 'golden age' of playing and I'll certainly be meeting him.

One thing tho - I hear he's not in the best of health these days? Will he be doing a photoshoot or q+a?

• 3 weeks later...

Good guest! Not a snooker fan myself but he's a major name from the 'golden age' of playing and I'll certainly be meeting him.

One thing tho - I hear he's not in the best of health these days? Will he be doing a photoshoot or q+a?

he looks awful.....such as shame for a legend of snooker :-(

According to the Daily star today, Alex has been rushed into hospital with pnumonia and is reported as to be 'fighting for his life'. :(

Apparently his condition is now 'comfortable' & he will be playing in the Legends Tour next week so he must be OK.