London / Milton Keynes

Dellefyne

Hi everyone!

I've booked in the Hilton Doubletree for Collectormania from Friday to Saturday included, and I'm going to book a room in London for Sunday night to enjoy a day in London on Monday...

Here's the thing: what do you think is the best way to travel from London to Milton Keynes? A bus? A train?

I get to London by the Eurostar St Pancras on Friday morning, and I leave on Monday late in the afternoon, but I'll have to get back to London on Sunday (in case some means of transport don't work on Sundays in England)

Hope you can help here!!

• Moderators

You can get a train from Milton Keynes direct to London Euston. And the timetable might be slightly limited on a Sunday but it will still run throughout the day.

I don't know if a coach might be cheaper (or if they run on Sundays).

• 1 month later...

Hi there, me again with new questions about the travel between London and MK.

I've checked the trains, and I really can't afford them (even Virgin ones, which are still cheaper than some others)

I'm going to book on National Express for a coach, but I'm not quite sure about several things: Once I get to Milton Keynes (I suppose I get to the train station in such a bus? Don't even know), there are free buses to take me up to the stadium, right? Do you know how long it takes from the train station to the stadium? Cause on Sunday I want to stay until the closure time at the con, which is at 5, and there is a bus at 6, but not sure if I can make it to the hotel to pick up my stuff and then take the free bus to the station in time... So you think it's possible? Or should I better book for the next bus?

Hope you can help! :D

Hi there, me again with new questions about the travel between London and MK.

I've checked the trains, and I really can't afford them (even Virgin ones, which are still cheaper than some others)

I'm going to book on National Express for a coach, but I'm not quite sure about several things: Once I get to Milton Keynes (I suppose I get to the train station in such a bus? Don't even know), there are free buses to take me up to the stadium, right? Do you know how long it takes from the train station to the stadium? Cause on Sunday I want to stay until the closure time at the con, which is at 5, and there is a bus at 6, but not sure if I can make it to the hotel to pick up my stuff and then take the free bus to the station in time... So you think it's possible? Or should I better book for the next bus?

Hope you can help! :D

Most National Express coaches will take you to the coach station at the M1 junction. This is MILES from the train station. You'd need to get another bus to the train station (which would be a couple of pounds, not sure exact amount).

Besides, you can get by looking around MK-London train tickets for approx £8-9. I've done it a number of times. Is National Express really cheaper than that?

The National Express busses stop at Milton Keynes Coachway, not at the train station.

The main Coachway was being renovated last year, then the temporary bus stop was actually near Milton Keynes Centre (the shopping mall where the event used to be held). I'd need to check if it's back to the old location. The bus station that is, not the event. :D

We don't have definite info on the free busses yet, but as far as I recall Jason said they will be back. The free busses stopped at the Centre too, so you might actually be better off to walk there if the Coachway is still in the temporary location. (I have never done it, but I was told it is easily walkable.)

Most National Express coaches will take you to the coach station at the M1 junction. This is MILES from the train station. You'd need to get another bus to the train station (which would be a couple of pounds, not sure exact amount).

So the bus station is back to its old location now?

Busses to the train station where 1 pound, I think that was raised to 1.25 last year. Or you can call a taxi, that wasn't bad either. 7 pounds or something like that.

Besides, you can get by looking around MK-London train tickets for approx £8-9. I've done it a number of times. Is National Express really cheaper than that?

Ouch, I didn't think that would be so complicated!

On every website I looked into, the train tickets were more expensive than that... Which company do you usually use?

The National Express busses stop at Milton Keynes Coachway, not at the train station.

The main Coachway was being renovated last year, then the temporary bus stop was actually near Milton Keynes Centre (the shopping mall where the event used to be held). I'd need to check if it's back to the old location. The bus station that is, not the event. :D

We don't have definite info on the free busses yet, but as far as I recall Jason said they will be back. The free busses stopped at the Centre too, so you might actually be better off to walk there if the Coachway is still in the temporary location. (I have never done it, but I was told it is easily walkable.)

So the bus station is back to its old location now?

Busses to the train station where 1 pound, I think that was raised to 1.25 last year. Or you can call a taxi, that wasn't bad either. 7 pounds or something like that.

Are you coming to MK, QS? And if yes, by plane I suppose? When you get to Heathrow, how do you come up to MK?

The temporary location is in Campbell Park. I'm a good walker and it's a fair way. (Your talking the entire length of the shopping centre and another 10 minutes depending on where in Campbell park it is.) It took me well over an hour to walk from there to the train station (and I regularly walk the 3.5 miles from my place to Oxford centre in 45 minutes).

Not sure if it's still there though...

Edit: For train tickets? Now I use Virgin because I get annoyed by the stops, but Silverlink (now London Midlands) are much cheaper. And places like thetrainline.com give cheaper fares normally.

Edited by KrazyKid197

The temporary location is in Campbell Park. I'm a good walker and it's a fair way. (Your talking the entire length of the shopping centre and another 10 minutes depending on where in Campbell park it is.) It took me well over an hour to walk from there to the train station (and I regularly walk the 3.5 miles from my place to Oxford centre in 45 minutes).

Not sure if it's still there though...

The walking part is not a very good option for me, anyway, cause I'll have all my luggage on my back.... :)

The walking part is not a very good option for me, anyway, cause I'll have all my luggage on my back.... :)

I figured you might from the first post!

Eek, well I hope you find something. If you want anymore advice (I grew up near MK and went down to London a lot. ;p) and no-one else can help - my e-mail is krazykid197 at gmail.com

Kip

But when you speak about £8-9 for the train tickets, which train company would it be? :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your email address, that might be useful :D

If you check www.thetrainline.com, they will normally show the cheapest fares, about £14 return

I checked you link, and I found this:

off-peak return, £18,60.

It is the cheapest I found so far. Not so bad actually ;)

But how do I know which trains are off peak, and which are not?

Sorry to be so annoying, but I never used trains in the UK before, so I'm not really sure how things work ;)

Okay, it fits my Eurostar tickets then... Great! Thanks! I think I just made my mind, I'm gonna book those tickets tonight! :)

(I really LOVE this forum and the people on it, everybody is being so nice and helpful!!!!)

Are you coming to MK, QS? And if yes, by plane I suppose? When you get to Heathrow, how do you come up to MK?

Yes, I am planning to come to MK and yes, I will be flying.

I always get the National Express bus myself. It's just too time consuming to get into London and take the train. From Coachway I always used to get a taxi to the hotels. It's always been two or three of us, and split through three the costs weren't bad.

From temporary Coachway to the train station I'd think maybe 7 pounds if you call Skyline or one of the other pre-book companies. The MK bus system is really easy once you get the hang of it. But the busses are quite small, and if you have luggage this may get a bit... squished depending on the time you arrive.

Don't book your train tickets on thetrainline.com - they will charge you a booking fee! Use www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk instead. They sell the same tickets but don't charge a booking fee!

Arf I just checked on their website but they don't deliver the tickets outside the UK.... :wub:

Okay... thetrainline.com doesn't deliver outside the UK either... What am I supposed to do?? :'(

Edited by Dellefyne

Don't book your train tickets on thetrainline.com - they will charge you a booking fee! Use www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk instead. They sell the same tickets but don't charge a booking fee!

Arf I just checked on their website but they don't deliver the tickets outside the UK.... :wub:

I'm having a bit of the same dilemma. I'm coming into London via Eurostar from Brussels around noon on Sunday. I need to figure out the best way to get to MK - leaning towards train but since I don't know the country I'm not sure which to use, etc.

My other worry is whether to stay overnight in MK or to take the train back to London after the show. My flight leaves Heathrow early Monday afternoon but I need to be there early as it's international back to the States. With Monday being a holiday I'm worried whether anything will be running early enough to get me to Heathrow by 10:00 AM or so.

Any advice is appreciated! Looking forward to meeting some of you at the show!

Okay... thetrainline.com doesn't deliver outside the UK either... What am I supposed to do?? :'(

We used thetrainline. Once you've registered you get the option:

Self-service ticket machine

You will need the payment card used and your collection reference.

Tickets will be ready for collection 2 hours after booking.

Worked like a charm for us.

I'm having a bit of the same dilemma. I'm coming into London via Eurostar from Brussels around noon on Sunday. I need to figure out the best way to get to MK - leaning towards train but since I don't know the country I'm not sure which to use, etc.

My other worry is whether to stay overnight in MK or to take the train back to London after the show. My flight leaves Heathrow early Monday afternoon but I need to be there early as it's international back to the States. With Monday being a holiday I'm worried whether anything will be running early enough to get me to Heathrow by 10:00 AM or so.

Any advice is appreciated! Looking forward to meeting some of you at the show!

If you're in London already I'd go with the train for the Sunday trip in:

The Train Line

They also have schedules. There may be sites without a booking fee, but I found this one to be easiest for international customers.

For Monday I'd go with the bus, National Express has direct service to Heathrow.

National Express

If you rather go to London on Sunday or leave it to Monday is completely up to you. Early morning traffic into London can be horrendous. If you get nervous easily, try to get back Sunday.