Where are the Buffy stars this year?

broken angel

Although it is great to meet Whedonverse quests, sometimes a break is better. With Hellowhedon 2 coming up, it may make it a bit more special to have a few events without the Whedonverse guests.

*disagrees!!!* :D

Wow, loads of new guests today...mostly star wars though, still no Whedonverse :D I remain hopeful though!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say i agree too crazyminx. Although you cant expect to have guests you want to see at every event I must say am one of the many people who went right from the beginning to Collectormania to see the buffy guests, anyone else i see is just a bonus ( i usually just go to take a few photos of other guests usually) but i dont normally go unless there is one guest from either buffy or angel as they were worth the travel even to manchester and glasgow for me. There are a lot of guests from both shows so i hope to see more in the future at these events.

As for Hallowhedon yes we have a guest for Buffy and hopefully Angel but as there is only likely to be a max of 6 guests and this has to be spread over 4 shows (people may not like all shows) and not everyone can make the weekend events. Prior to hallowhedon the last mixed buffy/angel con was in early 2008 prior to that 2005 for a pure Buffy one and 2006 for Angel as far as i am aware so some time has actually passed. We have a lot of newbies who want to see the guests now too.

It is nice to see guests at the signing events & i wouldnt like to see them segregated to just conventions in future either as this may stop people seeing the cast which would be a shame as they are all lovely.!

Edited by buffy2k

not everyone can make the weekend events

As Nicky once said very eruditely, it's Showmasters job to book the guests, and it's our job to turn up. IF you can't make a particular event, that's unfortunate - we've all been there - but that's the way of the world unfortunately. As I've said before, between the weekend events and the standard signings, Buffy fans do pretty well all told.

• Moderators

I don't think it's ever been a deliberate choice to just put them in the cons - after all, there'll be plenty of guests who can't do the con, so are Showmasters never going to get them? Of course not.

However, as I've always said, the 'signing events' are certainly geared to those fans that are into a wide range of things, rather than one specific thing. Having such specific tastes always makes it more likely that you're going to be disappointed.

It's like LOTR fans - they were spoiled for a few years because it was the 'in thing' but since then we've hardly had any guests, so unless those fans were into other things, they've probably not attended! But it's always possible they'll come back around the time of The Hobbit.

I'm sure Twilight guests will disappear in a few years too, for example.

It's like LOTR fans - they were spoiled for a few years because it was the 'in thing' but since then we've hardly had any guests, so unless those fans were into other things, they've probably not attended! But it's always possible they'll come back around the time of The Hobbit.

Many of those fans only started auto-collecting back then and stopped when SM stopped getting more guests in. When that happened they probably grew out of auto-collecting all together so when The Hobbit comes I cant really see them starting up again. It was just a passing fad for those certian fans.

Edited by nicky

Many of those fans only started auto-collecting back then and stopped when SM stopped getting more guests in. When that happened they probably grew out of auto-collecting all together so when The Hobbit comes I cant really see them starting up again. It was just a passing fad for those certian fans.

Hmm, well i disagree. I collect LOTR and Buffy and resent that you think its 'a passing fad for those certain fans'

Hobbit guests would be well recieved.

I don't think Buffy's time has passed or is even passing. It is one of those shows that had a very loyal cult following and remains a household name (like Star Trek for example).

There are loads of Buffy guests which haven't yet made an appearence in the UK or haven't done so in a long time. If one if them made an appearence I am sure they would be popular.

agreed Daniel.

I think most of us are just happy if the guests do go to events, most of us are not demanding and more than grateful to sm and other organisers for bringing the cast over.

I for one am a buffy fan who has been loyal for the entire 13 years and its no passing fad and am not a "buffy nut" either. I am a fan of a show like so many other genres who likes going to events meeting the guests, my good friends i have met, collecting autos,photos and Collectables thats all same as everyone else.

Edited by buffy2k

Nicely put Daniel.

If LOTR fans are considered fly-by-night newbie autograph collectors now because apparently they are blinkered and only collect LOTR autographs.... What are those grouching about no one from the 'We got a great new show.... ooops, got cancelled because no interest' Joss stick users?

Ok so maybe a few extra folks got into the hobby because of LOTR, would it not be similarly feasible that Buffy nuts got into autograph collecting, and they'd drop off if no one from their world view did shows?

Somehow I doubt those lusting after Elijah at the MK CM have suddenly stopped lusting after anything male that is in a 'popular' show/film etc. They might even have regressed and decided there are better pickings stalking Harry Potter or Twilight folks. I'd bet the same folks you'd see dribbling over Matthew Lewis would be seen queueing up for Sean Astin quick as a flash, in full Elven garb.

Its just that as LOTR fans, we don't believe we have a God-given birthright to have SM get LOTR guests every show, unlike some genres. Some of us do have broader tastes, and do CM and Autographica. We just don't berate those in charge because James Masters wasn't booked for once after the 10th CM in a row.

And there's no need for vitriol. Noone believes they have a right to certain stars, we're just saying that we would like some Whedon actresses or actors to be there.

I collect LOTR and Buffy and resent that you think its 'a passing fad for those certain fans'

I didn't say that. What I actually said was, "It was just a passing fad for those certian fans."

Certain fans only just started collecting around the time that we had loads of LOTR guests - when SM stopped getting LOTR guests those same fans didnt bother coming to anymore cons. To those fans collecting was just a passing fad.

I didnt say that collecting was a passing fad for all LOTR fans, I said it was a passing fad for those that quit attending cons when SM quit bringing LOTR guests. Obviously if you're a LOTR fan and you're still going to cons then I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about those fans that quit.

Hope that's clear now.

Noone believes they have a right to certain stars

:D Where are the Buffy stars this year? Please SM. What are you going to do about this? Please do something about it. Or I know im only one person but I wont be going.

Is it just me or is that angry emoticon really negative and moody looking? B)

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

There are fans of everything who only like that one specific thing. It's certainly not exclusive to Buffy or LOTR or anything like that.

The only reason I personally mentioned LOTR is because it's one of the best examples of something that came along, was hugely popular at the time, and so SM got many guests from it. Then it died down after, and we've hardly seen any guests since.

It must be very disappointing for those fans, as they were used to getting a healthy dose of the guests they wanted, and now there isn't any! While things like Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who etc carry on throughout the years.

Though saying that, there's plenty of stuff I like that has never been represented at any events, so I suppose in some ways the LOTR fans are lucky to have had what they did at the time :P

• Moderators

Love the concept that Buffy fans are somehow better than LOTR fans because 'Mr Average LOTR autograph collector' has moved on because SM no longer get LOTR guests..

No one has said that though.

This is such a strange thread, it just seems people are getting angry and defensive for no real reason. It's also such a pointless thread...

Where are the Lost guests?

Where are the Heroes guests?

Where are the Indiana Jones guests?

Where are the Telly Tubby guests?

Where are the Transformers guests?

Where are the Horror guests?

Where are the Telly Tubby guests?

Now that would be interesting to see at an event, lol! I bet there'd be a huge turn out to meet them. I wonder which one would be the most popular? I'm thining Tinky Winky myself.

Bloody right - where exactly are the Indiana Jones guests DavidB??

Hey, Mike. I sent an email to you the other day about that other con. Not Indy related.

Just saw it and replied - nice one Nicky!

Where are the Indiana Jones guests?

Bloody right - where exactly are the Indiana Jones guests DavidB??

Strange. I would've had you down as a Teletubbies kinda guy.

As long as I get my 20% homeless discount I'll be there and support the event!